Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Norns posted:

I mean ones widely available on the internet and the other is a really old loving cookbook that most new cooks probably aren't going to look at even if it is an amazing book

The Food Lab isn't that old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:colbert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Norns posted:

I mean ones widely available on the internet and the other is a really old loving cookbook that most new cooks probably aren't going to look at even if it is an amazing book
Seriouseats isn't the only, or even the first, place on the internet talking about using blenders to make emulsions. And it's literally been in the little recipe booklets that come with most blenders for as long as blenders have been around.

But I mean whatever. I'm off to boil some water using the seriouseats method, in a pot using heat.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Okay guys you convinced me Kenji loving sucks and steals all his ideas

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Kenji has no charisma and something like 65% of all his poo poo is dumb and/or pretentious and overwrought.

But he has done some stuff right and that stuff is pretty good. I'm more likely to use a seriouseats recipe than a chefsteps recipe just because of the reputation the man is slowly frittering away with guest vlog appearances where he acts like he invented the idea of chewing food or whatever. We've run some tests with this chew bot invented by someone who lives near MIT and found that up to 14.2773% more volatile compounds are released when this goat milk goji aoili foam is masticated rather than gobbled

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Norns posted:

Okay guys you convinced me Kenji loving sucks and steals all his ideas
It's not that, it's just that it's silly as poo poo to call it his method when it predates seriouseats by more than half a century.

I mean I think it's also worth pointing out (as Child does and Kenji doesn't) that blender hollandaise isn't quite the same thing as `traditional' hollandaise because the blender method produces a lighter, more homogeneous sauce, which results in a different mouthfeel. But I wouldn't say it sucks. To quote Mastering, `If you are used to handmade hollandaise, you may find the blender variety lacks something in quality; this is perhaps due to complete homogenization. But as the technique is well within the capabilities of an 8-year-old child, it has much to recommend it.'

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

IIRC, people use kosher salt as Kenji's recipes say and many posters over the years have complained that Kenji's dishes were still too salty in general
Yeah, I use the exact salt he recommends (diamond crystal kosher), and he is just a heavy salter.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I use the exact salt he recommends (diamond crystal kosher), and he is just a heavy salter.

I remember seeing a video where a chef was cooking for him and a few other people and joking how Kenji wouldn't ever think anything is salty enough. He pretty much admits it at this point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hopper posted:

Or you can use serious eat's foolproof 2 minute hollandaise recipe

I have never gotten that to work. It emulsifies, but it doesn't thicken at all. Maybe my butter's not hot enough.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I have never gotten that to work. It emulsifies, but it doesn't thicken at all. Maybe my butter's not hot enough.

it has to be hot right out of the pan, it's failed for me in the past when I've waited for it to cool a bit

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Norns posted:

I call it The Old Testament (McGee's On Food and Cooking is the new.)

As for salt, I usually use Maldon as my go-to salt and I still have to dial it back a bit in some of Kenji's recipes. They're not too salty to eat but they're often saltier than I'd like.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Well poo poo. Seems like my family really likes salt then.:shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

I like how the idea of using a blender to make emulsions is somehow now always attributed to Our Lord And Savior López-Alt when it's literally in Mastering the Art of French Cooking from 1961 and wasn't exactly an original idea then.

I needed a sauce for eggs Benedict, a sauce I had never made before. In my day separate situation, I decided to check a website that has known good recipes...

But you are right, I should have gone to the antiques store, browsed old cookbooks and found the recipe from 1961.

As for salt, it isn't that salty as you only use pinch. I'd go for a lighter version. For my eggs next time though, but that's not the recipes fault, proper hollandaise is a bit too heavy for eggs Benni.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e=164dsa.fnd.to

The Sous Vide Supreme people want $350 ($600 retail) for a wifi touchscreen water oven

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hopper posted:

I needed a sauce for eggs Benedict, a sauce I had never made before. In my day separate situation, I decided to check a website that has known good recipes...

But you are right, I should have gone to the antiques store, browsed old cookbooks and found the recipe from 1961.
Nah, using seriouseats is cool and all. I was just pointing out that it's silly that an old as poo poo technique mundane enough to be in the little booklet that comes with blenders is being presented as ~*kenji's foolproof method*~.

And for the record, if you type "hollandaise" into google the top suggestion (with a clean browser cache) will be "hollandaise blender", and seriouseats doesn't even make the first page. And the top name in the suggestions for "hollandaise blender" is Jamie Oliver (it goes to a page with a bunch of animated gifs of the method). So it's not like it's Kenji or the antique shop. Hell, the third result gives a shout out to Julia and, as I already pointed out, it wasn't like the idea originated with her either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like Kenji a lot and his recipes have always served me well but when it comes to salt, just use common sense. If you cook enough, you get a feel for how much salt something will need to taste good. Salt tolerance is a very personal thing so just be careful with it.

Anyway, my new favorite online food personality is Chef John. He himself isn't new (far from it) but I've been watching a lot of his videos lately and the guy is so fuckin' cheesy; his sense of humor aligns perfectly with my own.

Plus, he makes some pretty drat good looking food.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
My OG Anova just died (rapid clicking then dead). Here's hoping that, as some in this thread have mentioned, they're willing to do an out-of-warranty replacement for first production run units.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Has anybody tried the ChefSteps fried chicken recipe? It's basically cooking the chicken sous vide before doing a higher temp fry. It seems like it should work but if its one of those things where you're doing SV for no appreciable purpose, or someone else has a better fried chicken technique I'm a newbie at it. I've got a few weeks to find a perfect method for a Chicken & Waffles party I told my lab group I'd throw.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Getting fried chicken exactly right can be challenging. The different pieces all cook differently and it's hard to get a good crisp golden brown outside, without drying out the chicken. Or, the chicken will be undercooked but the outside will be blackened.

SV to cook the chicken before frying sounds like a good shortcut

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheQuietWilds posted:

Has anybody tried the ChefSteps fried chicken recipe? It's basically cooking the chicken sous vide before doing a higher temp fry. It seems like it should work but if its one of those things where you're doing SV for no appreciable purpose, or someone else has a better fried chicken technique I'm a newbie at it. I've got a few weeks to find a perfect method for a Chicken & Waffles party I told my lab group I'd throw.

I don't think I used ChefSteps specifically, but the method works fine - you can get a good deal of chicken cooked through but extremely tender and juicy, and then only have to fry it for ~2-3 minutes at a high temp to finish it off, with no worries about doneness.

A party where I had to fry a lot of chicken is probably the specific reason I'd do it again, since you could do everything but the frying a day ahead.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Alright thanks, I'll give their recipe a try this week, then if it works I'll make a bigger batch for a party. I'm looking to make chicken for 6-8 people so it sounds like that's by far the best way to do it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Alright thanks, I'll give their recipe a try this week, then if it works I'll make a bigger batch for a party. I'm looking to make chicken for 6-8 people so it sounds like that's by far the best way to do it.

hope you've got enough wire racks! Or maybe your friends aren't fatties like mine who can eat 4 pieces before even reaching for sides.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I've got two full bakers sheets with wire racks, but at a certain point, the speed of 3-5 minute frying in a Dutch oven will exceed the waffle maker, though

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I did their sv fried chicken a little while ago. I didn't feel that it was such an improvement over the usual. I specifically wouldn't do it for dark meat, but I think it helps more for breasts or tenders.

Give ATK's shallow-fry->bake technique a shot and see what you think. I think that would work well for a party. You can do the frying in batches before the guests show up, then you have 20 minutes of hands-off time before it's ready. As you do it in batches, I would just line them up in order on the baking sheet and be sure to pull off in the same order.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Nah, using seriouseats is cool and all. I was just pointing out that it's silly that an old as poo poo technique mundane enough to be in the little booklet that comes with blenders is being presented as ~*kenji's foolproof method*~.

I see what you mean. But I only called it the "fooproof" because that is literally the name of the recipe IIRC. Or maybe it was foolproof eggs Benny with a link the blended hollandaise...

Plus I was searching in a German Google for eggs Benedict. Chances are my results differed from yours due to language etc.

We're cool though, I get what you mean. Serious eats just throws "foolproof" into a lot off recipe titles. Basically their stick is making a dozen varieties of a standard recipe and then testing which works best. Burgers, eggs, anything. Of course most for it isn't new or revolutionary. It's just that nobody was OCD enough until now to cook 2 dozen eggs at the same time at 3 temperatures and in 30 second duration intervals ...

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I have a little rolled lamb loin, almost a pound and a half. If I decide to sous vide it, what time and temperature would people recommend?

Also, I found Serious Eats to be interesting before Kenji wrote his book, but now instead of being like a blog about cooking with good recipes, it's more like a recipe aggregate site, and I don't even find much I want to cook there anymore. I miss the way it used to be, but now go weeks without even looking at the site.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Kalista posted:

Also, I found Serious Eats to be interesting before Kenji wrote his book, but now instead of being like an interesting blog about cooking with good recipes, it's more like a recipe aggregate site, and I don't even find much interesting to cook there anymore. I miss the way it used to be, but now go weeks without even looking at the site.

Yeah the new content is still solid but the site layout is total dog poo poo. Outside of looking for specific recipes I gave up on casual browsing when they made it look like a lovely phone app and started mixing in new content with old stuff and sponsored "articles", giving it kind of a bad pinterest vibe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They're still useful if you need to do a quick google for an immersion blender mayo recipe

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Kalista posted:

Also, I found Serious Eats to be interesting before Kenji wrote his book, but now instead of being like a blog about cooking with good recipes, it's more like a recipe aggregate site, and I don't even find much I want to cook there anymore. I miss the way it used to be, but now go weeks without even looking at the site.

I agree with this. The new website with no pages (just click "see more!") made browsing for recipes or inspiration pretty much impossible. Come back to browse on another day or make a mis-click and you're stuck starting from the top. The only decent way to find a recipe is to google author name + recipe I've also found the stuff Kenji's put up since his book came out doesn't inspire me to cook like his pre-book stuff did.

I do like Stella Parks' dessert/baking stuff on there though. She does the Serious Eats "make a popular store bought good thing at home" that I assume drives traffic but her ordinary recipes and writing have been quite useful. I'm looking forward to getting her book.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Midniter posted:

Anyway, my new favorite online food personality is Chef John. He himself isn't new (far from it) but I've been watching a lot of his videos lately and the guy is so fuckin' cheesy; his sense of humor aligns perfectly with my own.

Chef John Reed? Yeah, his poo poo is beautiful and he's a really nice-sounding guy, but I can't bring myself to watch him. I'd pay $100 for one of his dishes in a high-end restaurant a couple times a year, but I just can't get any motivation or inspiration from him.

He's Byron Talbott but to the nth degree, but BT's seem a bit more feasible.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would assume he meant chef john of food wishes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

uPen posted:

Aye.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

uPen posted:

Do you mean Chef John of FOODwishes dot COM!?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright folks I just bought two ~0.45 pound DUCK BRATS to cook later in the week. I've found some guides for Sous Vide Bratwurst, but I'm not sure how the duck meat changes the math (if at all.) My current plan is to put both DUCK BRATS in a Ziploc with a cup of Honey Ale (or mead? Would mead be too much?) for 20 minutes at 170F, then browning in avocado oil on medium-high for a few minutes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If the BRATS aren't punctured, I'm not sure how the ale or mead will penetrate the casing. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't think duck changes the math much.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
cmon guys how hard is it to cook sausages

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Duck Math.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Can we still talk about carrots? Because I love SV carrots.

Main advantage over broiling is that they keep all their moisture (not shriveled), and still retain just a little bit of crunchy texture. As others have said they taste extra carroty. Use the torch if you like some carbon on the outside. It's at least worth trying!

I usually go closer to 45 minutes at 180-185.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Do you ever do any special carrot recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Flunky posted:

Yeah the new content is still solid but the site layout is total dog poo poo. Outside of looking for specific recipes I gave up on casual browsing when they made it look like a lovely phone app and started mixing in new content with old stuff and sponsored "articles", giving it kind of a bad pinterest vibe.

hahah yeah since they got new ownership/investors I don't bother to browse the site anymore either; it used to be a daily thing to do at work.