Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Last season Isaiah Thomas scored above 28 ppg on above 62% TS.

How many players in NBA history have done that? I feel like it has to be an incredibly short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Detroit has a Bob Lanier and a Bill Laimbeer

sorry announcers

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Icy Penguigo posted:

How many players in NBA history have done that? I feel like it has to be an incredibly short list.

Adrian Dantley beastin out there

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

predicto posted:

Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Morris, Horford? Hayward isn't super agile but he can stick with shooters.

That spread of players will probably get time together, but I think it gives away too much on defense. I think Brown will get lots of time with 3 or 4 of the starting 5 if he continues

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Niwrad posted:

Dunc'd On would be better if he cut like half his content. They'll spend an hour on some guy signing a D-League contract.

They could save a half hour if they edited out all his weird vocal tics

MourningView posted:

And yeah two hours of Zach Harper laughing at his own jokes is gonna get a hard pass from me

I saw him promoting some comedy basketball thing at the Improv recently, that dude mostly sucks

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Icy Penguigo posted:

I'm pretty surprised that ol' root beer barrel isn't on this list. 61% last season. Maybe his shooting will tick up with someone else to run the offense sometimes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Detroit's is funny
Stackhouse and Rip Hamilton are way overrated, Ben Wallace is underrated. No Sheed? No Zjelko Rebraca?

Sheed won't let 2K use his likeness for some reason. In '16 they had the '04 Pistons and one of his Blazer teams which both seem like a waste without him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tim Duncan to exclusively license the use of his likeness to the new NBA spinoff of Football Manager.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Dunc'd on is fine - it's the nerd podcast for people who want deeper analysis than what's available on espn / ringer. They don't get bogged down in hot take drama poo poo which is really nice.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CJ McCollum needs to get more credit for being awesome, imo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6UHBYJOUw

this just popped up on my youtube watch again and its still so good

I love you Dirk forever

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

chunkles posted:

id recommend 100-200 hours of history podcasts if you want to keep up with the refs in this thread :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I am totally lost right now.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Here is my three day late hot take on the Irving-IT trade:

Lots of the media types seem to be saying this is an opportunity for Kyrie to grow and show his true potential away from Lebron. But isn't it way more likely that playing alongside Lebron has actually made Kyrie look better than he really is? And his game of crazy ISOs, jacking threes and miracle layups won't work as well when the second best player in history isn't drawing a shitton of attention the other side of the court?

I'm sure lots of people in this thread have already made this point. But ESPN et al have barely brought this up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Lots of the media types seem to be saying this is an opportunity for Kyrie to grow and show his true potential away from Lebron. But isn't it way more likely that playing alongside Lebron has actually made Kyrie look better than he really is? And his game of crazy ISOs, jacking threes and miracle layups won't work as well when the second best player in history isn't drawing a shitton of attention the other side of the court?

I'm sure lots of people in this thread have already made this point. But ESPN et al have barely brought this up.

Irving's biggest weakness on offense is how he creates for others and runs an offense, something that is reasonable he might do better on Boston. I'm real confident that really will be the case, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Kyrie's "true point" skills look a bit better.

Also, Kyrie was really, really good last year. He doesn't have to get better or anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I was wondering why Shaq wasn't drafted right out of high school. I read that he wasn't very good, just big. But then how did he get a scholarship to LSU?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I was wondering why Shaq wasn't drafted right out of high school. I read that he wasn't very good, just big. But then how did he get a scholarship to LSU?

Because good enough to play scholarship basketball isn't the same as good enough to go straight to the NBA.

He was a McDonald's All American

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bigass Moth posted:

He was a McDonald All-American, so he wasn't like an unknown or anything. Mostly in 1989 they didn't draft guys right out of high school. Daryl Dawkins was the last guy drafted out of high school before then, and that was 1975 (Kemp never played in College, but he was a year outside HS when he was drafted).

Garnett came out in 1995 and that was kind of the tipping point to drafting more players. Had Shaq graduated in 01 or something then he probably would have been considered to be selected right out of high school.

I think at some point Shaq wanted to finish 4 years at LSU too, so I think that's why he stayed there as long as he did. I imagine he could have come out after his 2nd year pretty easily. I remember him saying something about how he likes to follow through on commitments or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

He was a McDonald All-American, so he wasn't like an unknown or anything. Mostly in 1989 they didn't draft guys right out of high school. Daryl Dawkins was the last guy drafted out of high school before then, and that was 1975 (Kemp never played in College, but he was a year outside HS when he was drafted).

Garnett came out in 1995 and that was kind of the tipping point to drafting more players. Had Shaq graduated in 01 or something then he probably would have been considered to be selected right out of high school.

I think at some point Shaq wanted to finish 4 years at LSU too, so I think that's why he stayed there as long as he did. I imagine he could have come out after his 2nd year pretty easily. I remember him saying something about how he likes to follow through on commitments or something.

Yeah he was committed to getting a degree and he went back for it while he was with the Lakers.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Drafting players straight out of high school wasn't really a thing until Garnett, several years later. You had a couple of players that went HS -> NBA in the mid-70's, and then none until Shawn Kemp sort-of did (he had a year off in between HS and the NBA). Leaving after 2 years of college was almost un-heard of (although Shaq could have after people saw his first two years), and even leaving after 3 was something only a handful of guys did. Looking at the 1989 draft, the first round is 22 college seniors, three juniors, Shawn Kemp (which was a huge deal at the time), and Vlade Divacs (also a huge deal at the time). If Shaq had declared coming out of high school, I think odds are he would have gone undrafted. Even the second round was 25 seniors, one sophomore, and one Euro.

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 25, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah he was committed to getting a degree and he went back for it while he was with the Lakers.

I thought he only left early because he was getting the poo poo beat out of him at LSU so he left before someone could gently caress up good career

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you change the year to like 2019-20 that might basically be a piece about Andrew Wiggins

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sad about IT today guys :(

I know Kyrie is good and younger than him and not talking about Brinks trucks all the time but man I wanted the Cs to get to the Finals with IT at least once. Last postseason was cool but it kinda got ruined for him.

Was looking forward to seeing him and Hayward playing together. poo poo man, the only guy left on our team from last year's starting 5 is Al Horford, and he's only been on the team for a year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/TheRealJRSmith/status/900924269713997824

haha

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought he only left early because he was getting the poo poo beat out of him at LSU so he left before someone could gently caress up good career

That was part of it, but he really wanted to continue playing for Dale Brown, who is the only other person in this state to have done as much for Louisiana basketball as Collis Temple, Jr. For as bad an in-game coach Dale was, he was one of the best player-coaches you could ask for. He protected his kids, spread the game around the state, and helped his guys improve as people.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

He has white LeBron, he'll be fine

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Guy smiling in the back is me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

The Celtics offense last year created plenty of opportunities for IT, whose skillset is similar to Kyrie's, and that was without Hayward. Granted, like I mentioned in my sadpost, that starting lineup looks basically nothing like this year's starting lineup, but Horford was very important in opening up IT's game, and he's still around, and more importantly so is Stevens. I'm not worried about him regressing (esp under our better coach), and also like Lockback said, he doesn't really need to improve much.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

CJ McCollum needs to get more credit for being awesome, imo.

I love CJ on twitter. Would love to hear his raw take on ET's contract lmao.

I'm probably the only person here but I listen to a bunch of Jalen and Jacoby. It's like junk food. I don't really bother during the offseason, but I love it during the season. Jalen Rose rightfully gets a ton of poo poo here, but for all the garbage takes and insufferable rants he has some OK takes sometimes.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wow Melo is still on the Knicks what a shocking offseason

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Wow Melo is still on the Knicks

Surely not.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

Wow Melo is still on the Knicks what a shocking offseason

The only difference between this year's team and last year's team is a french rookie

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Replacing D Rose and losing their superteam status

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRINlOtXkY

It's me, Austin.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Steve Mills posted a letter to Knicks fans today: https://blog.msg.com/2017/08/25/a-new-day-for-the-knicks-the-journey-begins/

Pretty wordy, with the promise of a new beginning, all praise going to the young guys by name. Not one mention of Melo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

To me, that's preposterous. Popping and locking, things of that nature.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

Replacing D Rose and losing their superteam status

Added Tim hardaway on a value deal

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How bad is it in Cleveland? https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/901130885155753984

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Steve Mills posted a letter to Knicks fans today: https://blog.msg.com/2017/08/25/a-new-day-for-the-knicks-the-journey-begins/

Pretty wordy, with the promise of a new beginning, all praise going to the young guys by name. Not one mention of Melo.

quote:

He, Porzingis and Hardaway, along with Hernangómez and Ron Baker will exemplify a new defensive mindset that puts a premium on making stops.

Not one of these guys are known for their defense or are very good at it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lmao can lovely players like Shump even requests trades? What leverage does he possibly think he has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

KD on his 'I want to drink Scarlett Johanssons bath-water' tweet

Bill; have you met her since tweeting that, if so was she aware and was it strange
KD; I hope she was aware of it, uh, it is strange now cos it made me look crazy, but now it makes me look cool, cos I would, I actually love Scarlett Johansson, and I would do that - and shes single now.
Bill; Is she single? We'll set that up

Ah yes KD. "cool"

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 25, 2017

• Locked thread