Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

How accurate are the MTV Teen Choice Awards in predicting Oscar nominees/winners?

I know I'm geniunely disputing the MTV Teen choice awards, but the absence of John Wick makes me feel quite old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Suicide Squad won two Oscars.

Wait, what was the second?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Suicide Squad won two Oscars.

A technical Oscar for best makeup, which isn't as outlandish as everyone thinks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You can definitely make a case for Star Trek Beyond deserving it more for the variety of makeup (and the prehensile claw hair was amazing) , but I just like it because I like referring to it as the *MULTIPLE OSCAR AWARD WINNING FILM* Suicide Squad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

You can definitely make a case for Star Trek Beyond deserving it more for the variety of makeup (and the prehensile claw hair was amazing) , but I just like it because I like referring to it as the *MULTIPLE OSCAR AWARD WINNING FILM* Suicide Squad.

I thought Beyond was going to win it based on that one thing alone, and was pretty surprised SS beat it out. Had to be because of Croc, because he ruled.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Shoulda won more imo

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Definitely a shoe-in for best kiss

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

And best relationship too. I mean come on. :rant:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It won best Villain.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

With that moustache how could it not?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sanshodelaine/status/898298504845701121

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/eigahiho/status/898394069931511808

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I don't understand that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

For a lot of the still shots or scenes with not too much motion (Steve Trevor interrogation scene, lassoing Doomsday, etc) her lasso is rope lighting.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 19, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cavelcade posted:

I don't understand that.

quote:

[Dispatch] 8/21 (Monday) release movie treasure 10 months, presents guilty Kobayashi's! Super Edition "aliens: Covenant ' ultimate cheats & former alien encyclopedia! Completely covers the history of H R Giger has produced fear space Monster! Director Ridley Scott exclusive gigantic white too! ur0.link/Fjl1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just learned Charlize Theron had to turn down a role in Wonder Woman due to scheduling http://www.thisisinsider.com/charlize-theron-turned-down-a-role-in-wonder-woman-2017-7

Hope she's able to appear in the sequel. Maybe as Circe?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Just learned Charlize Theron had to turn down a role in Wonder Woman due to scheduling http://www.thisisinsider.com/charlize-theron-turned-down-a-role-in-wonder-woman-2017-7

Hope she's able to appear in the sequel. Maybe as Circe?
I could totally see her Patty Jenkins wanting to cast her as Hippolyta.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I could totally see her Patty Jenkins wanting to cast her as Hippolyta.

I think the original choice for Hippolyta was Nicole Kidman, but she also had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. Kidman is now Queen Atlanna in Aquaman. My guess is Patty wanted Theron to portray Antiope before Robin Wright was cast.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

I think the original choice for Hippolyta was Nicole Kidman, but she also had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. Kidman is now Queen Atlanna in Aquaman. My guess is Patty wanted Theron to portray Antiope before Robin Wright was cast.
Thats interesting because Robin Wright is the only one under 5'10" (she's like 5'5"). Gadot is 5'10" and so are Nielsen and Theron. Kidman is 5'11". Obviously height wasn't a determining factor but I wonder if she was looking for tall actresses to complement Gadot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Obviously height wasn't a determining factor but I wonder if she was looking for tall actresses to complement Gadot.

Likely, since Amazons are well known for their stature. Which is why I like that Gadot's costume puts her in I think 3" or 4" wedges so she's just as tall, if not taller than Cavill's Superman.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Likely, since Amazons are well known for their stature. Which is why I like that Gadot's costume puts her in I think 3" or 4" wedges so she's just as tall, if not taller than Cavill's Superman.

I remember reading a thing that every character in BvS is either taller than Cavill or made to look so.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Affleck is pretty tall, like 6'3" or something. I think Cavill is about 6'0".

You can see in this premiere photo that Affleck and Gadot (in heels) are both taller than Cavill.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Gal is also very slender which elogates her entire look. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are far broader which has the opposite effect.

Regarding Charlize Theron, she is loving badass. I saw a featurette about her doing stunts on Atomic Blond, and there are entire sequences of her with no cuts just wrecking dudes. She's incredibly athletic - I'd love to see her on the sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/899311891603795969

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

It's weird for a blockbuster to do more business in the US than in the rest of the world combined.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Awesome :)

It opens in Japan this week and that easily push it past $800 million worldwide.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kelly posted:

Gal is also very slender which elogates her entire look. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are far broader which has the opposite effect.

Regarding Charlize Theron, she is loving badass. I saw a featurette about her doing stunts on Atomic Blond, and there are entire sequences of her with no cuts just wrecking dudes. She's incredibly athletic - I'd love to see her on the sequel.

Yeah, Affleck is built like a tank, which belies how tall he is. To see a really exagerrated version of the same effect, look at former UFC fighter Shane Carwin, who stands about 6'2. Yet, due to how much muscle he's carrying, he has the proportions of a man of 5'9

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/900118520792481792

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
James Cameron agrees Wonder Woman is no match for Sarah Conner.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Better than a sing-along version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

They got vouging at Barclay's now?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wdarkk posted:

Better than a sing-along version.
Supposedly there was going to be an IMAX release of the UE version of BvS shortly before the Blu-ray was released, some 70mm clips were posted online, but I guess they decided not to with the reception it got.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sarah Conner an icon to red-blooded American children everywhere.

She stopped her war.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Diana Prince and Sarah Conner both have problems with recurring time travelers loving up history.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

I love James Cameron's films, but his comments about Wonder Woman were dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He has made a few movies with strong females leads. I would say if anyone would able to have an opinion on it, hes one of them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

I love James Cameron's films, but his comments about Wonder Woman were dumb.
The fact that WW wasn't some troubled or "macho" character is exactly what was so great about her. She was feminine and a supreme badass. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Hold on a minute here, there's "untroubled" and then there's completely unencumbered. Wonder Woman tilts too far towards the latter, her characterization being pegged at "innocent" until the series of reveals towards the end.

And her insistence on taking the offensive lead at Veld is basically analogous to "macho".

(This is basically the same direction I would argue for Fury Road, that both movies are nearly masturbatorily satisfied with simply showing us a female protagonist who can kick as much rear end as a male one in the same way a male one. In that, they are closer to the label someone gave Whedon's characters in one of these threads--female, but she kicks rear end, than the counter ideal of female, AND she kicks rear end)

I suppose it's an indictment of us as much as anything that Wonder Woman is the best girl empowerment superhero movie. We've fallen far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Hold on a minute here, there's "untroubled" and then there's completely unencumbered. Wonder Woman tilts too far towards the latter, her characterization being pegged at "innocent" until the series of reveals towards the end.

She doesn't believe people have the natural capacity to be evil for most of the movie. That's a bit more than just being "pegged at innocent."

Given that that's the story, I don't see what the problem is?

Female action leads being macho or too troubled (or too untroubled) isn't a problem, and Jenkin's isn't arguing that it is.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 25, 2017

• Locked thread