Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

The worst thing is that Picard half-threatens Data with not just being booted out of Starfleet, but of dissection to figure out what 'went wrong' with him.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Humans disobey orders all the time and Starfleet never threatens to vegetablize them with Romulan mind probes to find out where they went wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Shouldn't they have restrained Data at this point since he has enough tard strength to easily kill them

Ya know, Oscar Issac's tech mogul character in Ex Machina may have been nuttier than a pecan log, but even he knew that when you're building a gynoid harem, you don't give your gynoids enough strength to snap your neck with a backhand.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 25, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I really am enjoying your posts as you watch TNG, it makes me remember the first time I watched each episode. That exact moment when I figured out that Data was lying, wondering why, and knowing that people were starting to suspect him.

It is like going back in time before Star Trek slowly slid into unwatchable garbage (Voyager) and being able to enjoy the old show all over again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Marshal Radisic posted:

Ya know, Oscar Issac's tech mogul character in Ex Machina may have been nuttier than a pecan log, but even he knew that when you're building a gynoid harem, you don't give your gynoids enough strength to snap your neck with a backhand.

Or make one of your ex as a joke...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Riker throws a hell of a rager.

I laughed really hard at this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Holy color timing Batman!

e:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was an episode of Red Dwarf that was a lot like "Clues". Don't know if it came before or after it, though.

I remember when I watched TNG the first time, I was surprised more than once in the early seasons where there'd be specific moments that made me think, "Oh, this is what Grant and Naylor were making fun of."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was an episode of Red Dwarf that was a lot like "Clues". Don't know if it came before or after it, though.

I remember when I watched TNG the first time, I was surprised more than once in the early seasons where there'd be specific moments that made me think, "Oh, this is what Grant and Naylor were making fun of."

There's literally a section on Wikipedia about it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanks_for_the_Memory_(Red_Dwarf)#Similarity_to_Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha, I should have looked there first. :D

More generally, there's one moment in an early TNG episode where Data does the whole "Is this the emotion you humans call 'friendship'?" thing and it immediately made me think of Lister going "Kryten, don't give me that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timby posted:

... Shaka, when the walls fell?

(I seriously have no idea how to parse this.)

The rock where Kirk fought the Gorn, that was also where they put the Power Rangers HQ.

Powered Descent posted:

Vasquez Rocks?

The Mintaka scenes from Who Watches the Watchers were filmed there, but I think they tried not to shoot the iconic sloped rock and make it too obvious.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks

e: Welp, guess they had to include the sloped rock:

That's it, and then there's a cave there that gets used a lot. Sure that's been in Trek episodes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Yikes, I"m watching voyager season 1 for the first time and this is really rough going. Should I just be watching Enterprise instead

Voyager is mostly unwatchable. It gets a little bit better after the Kazon gently caress off but it's still a depressing show. Watch a few of the decent episodes and skip the rest.

I'm not exaggerating. Voyager is a waste of your loving time even if you like Star Trek, or especially if you like Star Trek.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 25, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Voyager never had any moments like Enterprise where I cheered at how incredible the events were. At ENT's best, it was definitely better than the worst of TOS, but VOY episodes would almost all be at the bottom if I had to rank all of them

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Humans disobey orders all the time and Starfleet never threatens to vegetablize them with Romulan mind probes to find out where they went wrong

Um, I think that's implied. :rolleyes:

They should be happy if they just get sent to Auntie Ro's Hot Rock Jail.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched Spock's Brain the other night and thought it was actually an OK show. There are definitely far worse TOS episodes. Yes the concept is silly, but the pacing clicks along and it works because it's silly and you have no idea what they are going to do next the whole show. The ending where Spock tries to explain what the hell just happened and no one gives a gently caress is great.

Finally watched Sub Rosa and it was pretty goddamned clunky, but as bad Star Trek goes it's still firmly above bad TOS and really any Voyager I've seen. The concept of Not-Scotland was fairly lame--why they didn't just make it Earth I don't know--but this is a show that did entire period piece episodes with local theater-quality costuming, so this doesn't really feel like the point to start complaining about that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

The rock where Kirk fought the Gorn, that was also where they put the Power Rangers HQ.

I get that, now, but read what you posted and tell me how it makes any sense :v:

quote:

Was the Kirk fight Power Rangers rock used in an TNG episodes?

Orv
May 4, 2011
How me a Romulan learn English?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

dont even fink about it posted:

the pacing clicks along

I see what you did there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shibawanko posted:

Voyager is mostly unwatchable. It gets a little bit better after the Kazon gently caress off but it's still a depressing show. Watch a few of the decent episodes and skip the rest.

I'm not exaggerating. Voyager is a waste of your loving time even if you like Star Trek, or especially if you like Star Trek.

so what's worth watching, year of hell and a few of the species whatsists and not much else?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
In the latest installation of "The best Star Trek coming this fall isn't Star Trek", here's an image from an upcoming episode of "Black Mirror":

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mastershakeman posted:

so what's worth watching, year of hell and a few of the species whatsists and not much else?

Someone else will repost the thread list but you can put together about one season of solid episodes. Year of Hell, Blink of an Eye, every Doctor-centered episode, Equinox all come to mind.

E: The episode where they run into those Ferengi that got lost in the TNG wormhole episode is fun, too.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 25, 2017

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Here's my list of favourites.

S2E16 "Meld" - *If* you enjoy this one, consider S2E26 "Basics" & S3E01 "Basics, Part II" which follow up that story.
S2E18 "Death Wish"
S2E23 "The Thaw"
S3E23 "Distant Origin"
S3E25 "Worst Case Scenario"
S3E26 "Scorpion"
S4E01 "Scorpion, Part II"
S4E04 "Nemesis"
S4E08 "Year of Hell"
S4E09 "Year of Hell, Part II"
S4E23 "Living Witness"
S5E06 "Timeless"
S5E09 "Thirty Days"
S5E10 "Counterpoint"
S5E26 "Equinox"
S6E01 "Equinox, Part II"
S6E10 "Pathfinder"
S6E18 "Ashes to Ashes"
S6E19 "Child's Play"
S6E20 "Good Shepherd"
S6E24 "Life Line"
S7E05 "Critical Care"

GOOFY, MOSTLY DOCTOR-CENTRED EPISODES
S4E14 "Message in a Bottle"
S5E12 "Bride of Chaotica"
S6E04 "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy"
S6E13 "Virtuoso"
S6E21 "Live Fast and Prosper"

shadok fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 25, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The thing that bugged me about Clues, was that by the time the episode was over they had spent 2...maybe 3 days hashing out this memory wipe, which means they're at least 2 days late arriving to wherever they're supposed to be. Surely Starfleet would be like "Hey, what the hell have you guys been up to? Also it's Wednesday, not Monday you dimwits."

They also adjust the ship computer to make it seem like only 30 seconds had passed, but wouldn't the clock be forever 2+ days off from all the other Starfleet/Starbase clocks?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mental Hospitality posted:

The thing that bugged me about Clues, was that by the time the episode was over they had spent 2...maybe 3 days hashing out this memory wipe, which means they're at least 2 days late arriving to wherever they're supposed to be. Surely Starfleet would be like "Hey, what the hell have you guys been up to? Also it's Wednesday, not Monday you dimwits."

They also adjust the ship computer to make it seem like only 30 seconds had passed, but wouldn't the clock be forever 2+ days off from all the other Starfleet/Starbase clocks?

They went through an anomaly of some sort. Those sorts of chronometer corrections must happen all the time in Starfleet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least... four episodes(?) have them transmit some sort of log of "Yo we got time hosed, whattup Starfleet" at some point as an off-hand line or implied mention.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They mention relativity is a thing outside of subspace travel so they'd have to be used to time distortions.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

shadok posted:

GOOFY, MOSTLY DOCTOR-CENTRED EPISODES
S4E14 "Message in a Bottle"
S5E12 "Bride of Chaotica"
S6E04 "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy"
S6E13 "Virtuoso"
S6E21 "Live Fast and Prosper"

It's the furthest thing from a goofy episode and an absolute prime Voyager example of "And then it was never mentioned again" but I remember really liking "Latent Image." Now that I think about it it's takes pretty strong cues from "Clues" but Picardo carries the episode phenomenally and is completely worth seeing, even as just a stand alone episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

At the very beginning of the episode, Data suggests they sync the chronometer to Starbase 34. Also, they were really bad trying to trick themselves. When they wanted to go back to that system to check it out, I would have Data just say "We saw something very terrible there, we left and decided to wipe everyone's memories. You ordered me to make sure we never returned."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I guess. I'll just chalk it up to my tired idiot brain and "it's Trek, stupid."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

That's it, and then there's a cave there that gets used a lot. Sure that's been in Trek episodes.

TNG and DS9 had a soundstage where most of the cave action happened. I don't remember the stage number but the cast and crew called it "Planet Hell" because the hot lighting and lovely ventilation made it suck to work in.

The Bloop posted:

They went through an anomaly of some sort. Those sorts of chronometer corrections must happen all the time in Starfleet.

I seem to recall that was supposed to be one of the (in-universe) reasons they use the Stardate system, is to help account for time fuckery.

(yes yes Stardates are actually mostly meaningless)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall that was supposed to be one of the (in-universe) reasons they use the Stardate system, is to help account for time fuckery.

(yes yes Stardates are actually mostly meaningless)

Imagine all these Starfleet vessels encountering weird space-time phenomenon for the entirety of their missions. They all rendevouz back at earth, the crew younger or older than they should be, not even knowing what loving day it is. Probably a logistical/strategic nightmare.

Hell, the U.S.S Bozeman was caught in a time loop for how long? They never did complete their mission, then they had to return to earth where all their loved ones had died and why do we do with the ship and the crew...

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 25, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Imagine all these Starfleet vessels encountering weird space-time phenomenon for the entirety of their missions. They all rendevouz back at earth, the crew younger or older than they should be, not even knowing what loving day it is. Probably a logistical/strategic nightmare.

To be fair, you get that just from cruising around space at impulse speeds, even without anomalies.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, you get that just from cruising around space at impulse speeds, even without anomalies.

That's true. Time dilation must be a bitch.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I like "blink of an eye" because it's about an unusual planet, same reason I like "demon". I still try to ignore the fact that it's voyager while I watch those episodes though. Year of Hell is okay, the Prometheus episode is too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's true. Time dilation must be a bitch.

It'd only be a few percent, at least; there's no indication they ever really ramp up to really close to c, and it's an asymptotic curve.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The TNG tech manual covered this. Normally, they limit sublight to 0.25c to try to keep relativistic effects at minimum.

If they do have to travel at a high % of c, they will engage a low level subspace field to counter the effects. Usually though, it's more efficient to go to warp.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG and DS9 had a soundstage where most of the cave action happened. I don't remember the stage number but the cast and crew called it "Planet Hell" because the hot lighting and lovely ventilation made it suck to work in.

Planet Hell was Stage 16. But it wasn't called Planet Hell just because it was physically uncomfortable. Any script that called for the use of swing sets on stage 16 put massive extra pressure on the production to get those sets built in the tiny time window available since the last sets were struck, get all the shooting done on schedule with no margin for error, and then get the sets cleared for the next episode. It didn't matter if the set was dusty plaster caves or Dixon Hill's office, it was always Planet Hell.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seems that "Full Impulse" is .25 the speed of light. Doesn't the Enterprise accelerate to warp .9 (or was it .5?) in TMP? Would that be approaching light speed without going to warp/subspace?

I know this is an overly nerdy discussion, but I'm just trying to kill time and I'm a nerd I guess.

Edit: beaten above.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Sometimes it feels like every planet is Cowboy Planet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Of course there was that one exchange in Conspiracy.

Riker: Increase to wrap 6.

Geordi: Aye, full impulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seems that "Full Impulse" is .25 the speed of light. Doesn't the Enterprise accelerate to warp .9 (or was it .5?) in TMP? Would that be approaching light speed without going to warp/subspace?

I know this is an overly nerdy discussion, but I'm just trying to kill time and I'm a nerd I guess.

Edit: beaten above.

I assume Warp Point Five is using the warp drive on low instead of impulse engines.