Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Peak Oil "problem" has always been all about whether human activity can safely transition away from its current oil-addicted state.

30 years ago we did not possess the technical ability to do this and it was a real scary prospect. Even 10 years we were just hoping. Only just now are we getting there, baby steps, but it's doable. Improvements to fracking bought us this time at the expense of the environment, maybe OPEC had underestimated strategic reserves that they're now dumping. Either way, we got it.

Then what's the problem? The problem is...

The problem is that nobody is loving doing anything.

There are some very strong, very myopic, economic interests in sustaining the status quo combined with social inertia (can't do anything to threaten the comfortable western lifestyle!). Just like Climate Change. This is the same loving bullshit. And this is going to lead into one of two outcomes:

a) We do it. We loving do it. The doomers were right. We floor it and drive this bitch right off the cliff. We hit Peak Oil, suddenly and without warning: production stops being able to keep up with demand, and prices skyrocket, wrecking the economy at a time when we most need wealth and stability in order to rebuild infrastructure, and thus be actually able to make do without oil in any kind of state resembling 'business as usual'.

b) It pops. We realize that we can't rely on hydrocarbons forever, either because of depleting affordable reserves or because alternative technologies start appearing, and the Carbon Bubble explodes. Just goes *boom*. Big Oil collapses amidst investor uncertainty, wrecking the economy at a time when we most need wealth and stability in order to rebuild infrastructure, and thus be actually able to make do without oil in any kind of state resembling 'business as usual'.

Capitalism is an oil-addicted pimp and Governments are its hoes. As I said, it's the same loving bullshit. We have a chance to evade an energy crisis with a measure of dignity, by enforcing sanity instead of relying on this myopic construct we dub 'the free market', but we won't. We won't and it's going to sodomize us without lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Thanks to everyone who posts really great information to this thread. When and where do you think the turning point was, where this could be all avoided? 1970s?

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Banana Man posted:

Thanks to everyone who posts really great information to this thread. When and where do you think the turning point was, where this could be all avoided? 1970s?

In the spring of 1789.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Banana Man posted:

More action earlier on would always have been better, but Al Gore winning in 2000 would be a pretty clean alternate history inflection point.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TACD posted:

More action earlier on would always have been better, but Al Gore winning in 2000 would be a pretty clean alternate history inflection point.

kinda funny, back then I was apparently a stupid idiot because I didn't get it, and when I now think back to what actually happened I feel this creeping seething rage in me

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Banana Man posted:

The invention of the combustion engine. It got us to this point and its inordinate effectiveness and versatility is what is keeping us here.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Banana Man posted:

John Michael Greer makes a good case that the West almost managed to make the turn early in the 1970s, with the Oil Crisis fresh in the mind of population, visible effects of environmental degredation everywhere, a massive resurgence of ecology in theory and practice and Jimmy Carter in the White House doing his best to do things for the environment.
But then we collectively decided to gently caress the future in favour of the present and double down on the madness - maybe best symbolized in the election of Reagan, a guy who told the people exactly what they wanted to hear instead of challenging their expectations of the future.

Accretionist posted:

Every 'Peak Oil' poster I ever saw was based on misrepresenting 'reserves we can profitably pump' as 'all the oil that's left.'

There's a colossal volume of expensive-to-extract and expensive-to-process oil still in the ground. Oil as an industrial feedstock? We have enough to last for generations.

Thanks for absoluteley not reading the last pages where we discussed in detail the mechanics of EROEI and why this makes your expansive-to-extract- and expansive-to-prtocess oil absolutely useless to a stagnating economy.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 25, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

The invention of the combustion engine. It got us to this point and its inordinate effectiveness and versatility is what is keeping us here.

I've sometimes wondered, even if it was possible to go back in time to stop the invention of the engine, would someone else just invent it a few years later anyway?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Peak oil already did happen. The inherent assumptions with the peak oil proposal was that it was for conventional oil, the oil we used at the time. And for conventional oil the theory held and worked. Why we didn't run out of oil is largely because of unconvential oil sources that we never anticipated we would use. Shale and tar sands as well as fischer tropsch and the continuing expanding of these industries is maintaining the supply of liquid fuels.

Ten points for anyone who can find the peak.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

got any sevens posted:

I've sometimes wondered, even if it was possible to go back in time to stop the invention of the engine, would someone else just invent it a few years later anyway?

Of course, the idea of taking fuel and combusting it to move something is gonna happen regardless.

I think of the 2000 election as the last real chance we had at avoiding catastrophic climate change, but something could have been done earlier if one of the oil companies that knew about atmospheric carbon decades ahead of everyone else decided to do the right thing (hahahahahahaha) and say something about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gentle reminder that the industrial revolution and its attendant urbanization predate the internal combustion engine by at least 50 years.

I'm genuinely confused about why the climate change thread is freaking out at the idea of no more oil to burn.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The idea was that it was a good thing for forcing us to move to clean energy by making us ditch oil, rather than freaking out about running out of it. People tend to get sidetracked by semantics and poo poo that doesn't really matter that much with regard to actual consequences.

Regardless of who's definition of peak oil we may or may not have reached already or are going to reach in the future it seems pretty clear that we're still going to be putting enough carbon into the atmosphere to gently caress us over pretty decisively in the very near future.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Arglebargle III posted:

Gentle reminder that the industrial revolution and its attendant urbanization predate the internal combustion engine by at least 50 years.

I'm genuinely confused about why the climate change thread is freaking out at the idea of no more oil to burn.

I really hope steampunk will never happen, it's just too stupid

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Protip: We are going to burn all the oil and all the things that can be converted into liquid fuels, we will burn those too. Liquid fuels are just utterly amazing and energy dense and one of the most amazing things ever and we effectively have zero plan for when we cannot get enough of it to meet demands. YMMV.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
energy technology is just the continuation of the study of fire. understandably, until now it's relied on finding more and more efficient things to burn. first it was wood, then it was coal, now it's oil, and the two non-oil options are either making a fuel-less fire (nuclear) or using the radiant energy from a fire far away (solar), neither of which are perfect because the former and all its byproducts break the laws of reality as we understand them and the latter is only available roughly 60% of the time. the future of energy lies in figuring out how to store it. we have the early stages in the forms of batteries, the only problem is that in the year 2017 batteries are completely hosed environmentally speaking and they can really hold gently caress-all energy compared to what we need them to hold.

i don't think our current model of a battery is the one that we need to be using. it's fundamentally flawed and i blame computers for it. someone soon is going to discover some sort of energy-storing mechanism in some completely unexpected field that will change the energy game as we know it and then we will be safe from both peak oil and from the murderous side-effects of our addiction to fire

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
right now we think we need energy to keep the lights on. but fireflies keep their lights on without oil or coal. imagine if we could harness the power of the firelies

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

the old ceremony posted:

someone soon is going to discover some sort of energy-storing mechanism in some completely unexpected field that will change the energy game as we know it and then we will be safe from both peak oil and from the murderous side-effects of our addiction to fire

Or someone won't and we will be standing with our dicks in our hands expecting there to be a replacement for oil when there was never any real expectation for that to happen. But we are really straying from talking about climate change at this point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The core problem is that the alternatives to liquid fuels currently used both suck. Nuclear powered any-kind of consumer class vehicle is just a non-starter and electricity is extremely hampered in its ability to scale by batteries-tech still not being what it needs to be.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Funny story: Lockheed started a program a couple years back for a compact fusion reactor that could fit on an airplane or freight vehicle. Turns out that doesn't work and the thing they're actually going to build weighs 2000 tons and is the size of two passenger buses.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Funny story: Lockheed started a program a couple years back for a compact fusion reactor that could fit on an airplane or freight vehicle. Turns out that doesn't work and the thing they're actually going to build weighs 2000 tons and is the size of two passenger buses.

I don't see the problem if we're talking freight. :raise:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I don't see the problem if we're talking freight. :raise:

A freight truck.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

It was fission and the russians did that work too. Except the russians flew theirs. It wasn't a very good idea and only existed due to the niche capacity to stay aloft indefinitely for cold war reasons, icbms completely negated their relevance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95LAL

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lithium ion batteries are an environmental problem because of circumstance. It's not baked into the technology. Cheap as s*** environmentally abusive Chinese mines cornered the market, that's not a problem with the technology.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Lithium ion batteries are an environmental problem because of circumstance. It's not baked into the technology. Cheap as s*** environmentally abusive Chinese mines cornered the market, that's not a problem with the technology.

Oil would be a great energy source if not for those pesky circumstances we have no control over. :v:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Nothing will be learned from this incoming Texas hurricane. Will there ever be a point where things will change?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MiddleOne posted:

Oil would be a great energy source if not for those pesky circumstances we have no control over. :v:

As in, circumstances concerning extraction? Or use? There's a difference between lithium an oil here.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BattleMoose posted:

Protip: We are going to burn all the oil and all the things that can be converted into liquid fuels, we will burn those too. Liquid fuels are just utterly amazing and energy dense and one of the most amazing things ever and we effectively have zero plan for when we cannot get enough of it to meet demands. YMMV.

yea i operate on the heroin junky model here too. we will boil alberta whole and f-t every last patch of brown dirt we can.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

As in, circumstances concerning extraction? Or use? There's a difference between lithium an oil here.

The environmental consequences.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shifty Nipples posted:

The environmental consequences.

So, with oil, mostly concerning the use side of the equation, with some spectacular opportunity for disasters on the extraction side.

Lithium environmental (and humane) concerns seem to sit mostly on the extraction side, yes?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

So, anyone seen Chasing Coral (its on Netflix)?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Disposal is a huge issue with lithium, those batteries are not easily recycled and create huge amounts of toxic waste in the process. It's a super bad product cycle.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

El Laucha posted:

So, anyone seen Chasing Coral (its on Netflix)?

Visually it's impressive but doesn't have much to offer beyond that.

There's a scene where one of the photographers/producers uses a party boat to resupply and makes a "look at all these stupid sheeple," comment and it sort of highlights how much of a vanity project the whole film is.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

BattleMoose posted:

It was fission and the russians did that work too. Except the russians flew theirs. It wasn't a very good idea and only existed due to the niche capacity to stay aloft indefinitely for cold war reasons, icbms completely negated their relevance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95LAL

I'm aware of those, but I was talking about a much more recent project proposed in 2013.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arglebargle III posted:

R I P EARTH 4.8 BYA-2018

Eh there'll be a brief cleansing fire that kills all humans, and within 5-10 million years newly-evolved megafauna will flourish in park-like subtropical landscapes.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Fascinating study. This is the largest meta-analysis ever conducted on organic farming, and the final nail in the coffin for the system's purported environmental claims. Organic farming uses 55% more land than mainstream agriculture, with all the contaminant loss of biodiversity and environmental degradation that entails, while achieving nothing in terms of reducing GHG emissions. This should be a wake-up call for people purporting organic, (or its arch-reactionary, pseudoscientific cousin permaculture), as an agricultural model for the future.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa6cd5/meta

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 26, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Thug Lessons posted:

Fascinating study. This is the largest meta-analysis ever conducted on organic farming, and the final nail in the coffin for the system's purported environmental claims. Organic farming uses 55% more land than mainstream agriculture, with all the contaminant loss of biodiversity and environmental degradation that entails, while achieving nothing in terms of reducing GHG emissions. This should be a wake-up call for people purporting organic, (or its arch-reactionary, pseudoscientific cousin permaculture), as an agricultural model for the future. Just about the only alt-ag practice to show any promise environmentally is the ecofuturist system of aquaculture.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa6cd5/meta

CTRL+F "Permaculture": Zero results.

quote:

Previous analyses have shown that increasing nutrient application and adopting techniques such as rotational farming, cover cropping, multi-cropping, and polyculture in organic systems can halve the land use difference between organic and conventional systems (Seufert et al 2012, Ponisio et al 2014). Additionally, while the overall pattern is for higher land use in organic systems, organic systems have similar land use for legumes and perennial crops while the land use difference between organic and conventional systems is smaller in rain-fed systems and in systems with weakly-acidic to weakly-alkaline soils (Pimentel et al 2005, Seufert et al 2012).

Organic systems might offer health and environmental benefits we could not investigate with our data set. Organic foods have higher micronutrient concentrations (Hunter et al 2011, Palupi et al 2012) and lower pesticide residues (Baker et al 2002) than conventional foods, although these differences may not translate into improved human health outcomes (Dangour and Lock 2010, Hunter et al 2011). On-farm and near-farm biodiversity (Mäder et al 2002, Bengtsson et al 2005, Hole et al 2005) tends to be higher in organic agricultural systems, probably because of its lower fertilizer, herbicide and pesticide inputs. In addition, soil organic carbon is higher in organic systems (Gattinger et al 2012) because manure application promotes carbon storage in agricultural soils. However, organic agriculture would likely have a net negative impact on biodiversity and soil organic carbon at larger spatial scales because of the greater land clearing required under organic agriculture and because biodiversity (Balmford et al 2005, Phalan et al 2011) and carbon stocks (Gilroy et al 2014) decrease dramatically with conversion from natural habitats.

Although organic systems have higher land use and eutrophication potential and tend to have higher acidification potential, this should not be taken as an indication that conventional systems are more sustainable than organic systems. Conventional practices require more energy use and are reliant on high nutrient, herbicide, and pesticide inputs that can have negative impacts on human health (Townsend 2003, Schwarzenbach et al 2010, Mostafalou and Abdollahi 2013) and the environment (Vitousek et al 2009, Foley et al 2011). Developing production systems that integrate the benefits of conventional, organic, and other agricultural systems is necessary for creating a more sustainable agricultural future.

You gonna be as disingenuous as the pro-apocalypse crowd now, Thug Lessons? Gonna come over to the dark side to push your own lovely agenda?

This is talking about agriculture on an industrial scale, it is absolutely impossible to do permaculture outside of smallholdings.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 26, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's been full of poo poo for like 100 pages don't expect it to stop now

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Rime posted:

CTRL+F "Permaculture": Zero results.

Permaculture isn't mentioned because there's practically no scientific study of it. There's two reasons for that: because permies don't want scientific study of their cult, and because it's so transparently wrong that it's not worth wasting time on. It's barely a step above the old Nazi system of biodynamics.

quote:

You gonna be as disingenuous as the pro-apocalypse crowd now, Thug Lessons? Gonna come over to the dark side to push your own lovely agenda?

You're cherry-picking the CYA section of the article. If you really want I can go step-by-step I will, but to the main point: of course we should integrate the (limited) prospects organic offers into mainstream agriculture. For example the practice of aquaculture is praised, and I agree with that. However the main thrust of the article remains the same: organic as a whole has no clear net benefit over conventional. The quote you posted says, "this should not be taken as an indication that conventional systems are more sustainable than organic systems", but it's certainly a compelling blow against the opposite conclusion, that organic is more sustainable than conventional.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 26, 2017

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Rime posted:

This is talking about agriculture on an industrial scale, it is absolutely impossible to do permaculture outside of smallholdings.

It is impossible to do permaculture period but there is an ever-expanding mass of literature demonstrating that smallholdings are more inefficient than industrial-scale ag in every way, including resource usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Disposal is a huge issue with lithium, those batteries are not easily recycled and create huge amounts of toxic waste in the process. It's a super bad product cycle.

Dude, you've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about. EV batteries aren't thrown into the trash, they are almost always recycled (as they're by far the most valuable part of a wrecked/old EV). Tesla Powerwalls, for example, are made of recycled Tesla car batteries, and there's a robust market in Leaf battery cells amongst the off grid crew.

And as the point has been repeatedly made to you, we could fix lithium mining problems, for the most part. We will never fix the issues with burning oil.