Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The dude in the bunk next to me in basic tried his best to not get recycled. At one point when everyone was getting dropped, someone bashed him in the head with their M16. He was bleeding everywhere and had to get staples in his noggin. On the plus side, it was fun watching him try to explain a "no cover" profile to every drill sergeant in line of sight.

Then he got some kind of hip fracture or something and limped around on crutches. He managed to qual on the range and crutched alongside everyone else during our rucks, but it wasn't to be. He vanished one day to be recycled.

Meanwhile, some chick had a DS carry her weapon during the last march because she was having trouble. Army strong!

gently caress me, I told a BCT story. Someone ban me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I had a tooth die and start to decay while I was in basic and it took me about two weeks to get it removed because I wasn't gonna deal with that poo poo. It was so hosed that when they tried to pull it, it just loving shattered. I had to go to quarters for 24 hours and ended up staying three more days because that was like braving Typhus or whatever the gently caress.

I was so sick in the first week due to sick fuckers not covering their goddamn mouths that I literally dropped at mail call and had to be ambulanced over to the hospital. I missed the confidence course which was like the only goddamn thing I wanted to do in Basic.

Also people act hard in basic like they got something to prove. They just aren't jaded yet. Or broken.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Soulex posted:

I was so sick in the first week due to sick fuckers not covering their goddamn mouths that I literally dropped at mail call and had to be ambulanced over to the hospital. I missed the confidence course which was like the only goddamn thing I wanted to do in Basic.

Also people act hard in basic like they got something to prove. They just aren't jaded yet. Or broken.

They quarantined the flight I started in just after they transferred me. The whole flight. Because everyone caught this horrid strain of mono/pneumonia/flu/plague. They put me in a temp flight just to grad and go to TS and I spent the last week sleeping in the DI's office and not allowed to be with in 5 feet of everyone just so I didn't spread it.

I thought everyone being sick was the way it always worked. Is that not right?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
more like, if you get washed in basic then good loving luck with your homeless poo poo. I know that's how I viewed it and got a surgically conditional thing fixed after Korea because even korea scared me enough to get it fixed in Kansas

Edit: Then I got a whole bunch of poo poo because I was suicidal and had a loving tail pouch that was infected. They still gave me poo poo about being tail boy.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 25, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Genocide Tendency posted:

They quarantined the flight I started in just after they transferred me. The whole flight. Because everyone caught this horrid strain of mono/pneumonia/flu/plague. They put me in a temp flight just to grad and go to TS and I spent the last week sleeping in the DI's office and not allowed to be with in 5 feet of everyone just so I didn't spread it.

I thought everyone being sick was the way it always worked. Is that not right?

Think about how loving massive the US is, how diverse the environments and populations are, etc. You take sample populations from every corner of the most diverse country on the planet with all their attendant variants and strains of whatever horrid poo poo, smash them all together in lovely little barracks, breathing and sleeping and showering and everything right on top of each other. Reception and Basic are like giant unholy biowarfare breeder reactors. I'm pretty sure whatever hosed up poo poo I caught there followed me through AIT, since every once in a while I'd hack up some tan-colored poo poo that looked disturbingly like a chunk of lung.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure that's why they gave us all a penicillin shot in reception.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Everyone in basic training had a cough for the first several weeks.

Everyone. No one was spared.

Now I get a cough when I smoke weed cause I'm a lazy hippy civilian college student.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
THE CRUD

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I actually caught the swine flue in Kuwait and got locked up in a no-poo poo quarantine building to die alone for two weeks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2IPDQyVZWo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I actually caught the swine flue in Kuwait and got locked up in a no-poo poo quarantine building to die alone for two weeks.

MP gets noted pig diseases. Hmmmmmm...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

MP gets noted pig diseases. Hmmmmmm...

I lost 25 pounds though. :thumbsup:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I always enjoyed the bouts of disentery that would wash over the battalion every couple of months in Afghanistan. Free ticket to eat whatever you wanted!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I always enjoyed the bouts of disentery that would wash over the battalion every couple of months in Afghanistan. Free ticket to eat whatever you wanted!

Kill all dogs.

I was in the invasion of Iraq in 03 and we kept getting the hershey squirts. Turns out, the dogs were eating dead bodies and then licking the dripping spouts on our water buffalos.

Dog genocide and guarding the water buffalos cleared it up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure ours was from LN and TCN contractors working in the DFAC wiping their rear end with their hands and then not washing them. Or just the fact that there was literal poo poo everywhere in Afghanistan and it was bound to make it into the food one way or another.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Dysentery fuckin owned.

Was making GBS threads in the port o shitter while holding the door open and vomiting in the gravel.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Getting sick is the best way to lose weight.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So is having jaw surgery and having your mouth wired closed for a month.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So speaking of quarters, I went to quarters for, three days originally, but ended getting out in two.

At Fort Sill, "Quarters", is the Charlie of 95th AG, and it's on a loving shack village built out of container units or some poo poo. I had my wisdom tooth removed during basic and while I tried to push it out as much as I could, it literally started falling out and gave me a nauseauting ache that affected my balance. After the removal, I was given pain meds and sent to the "quarters" where I got searched, yelled at for no loving reason, and I lost my pens and notebooks and poo poo in my pockets. And my camelbak.

The "hall" was the main room that had two rows of table. White line on the floor that divided the room into male and female portion. Males and females weren't allowed to speak to each other, or look at each other. Hence why you sat at the table and stared at the opposite walls. No books were allowed unless you had a special permission, only granted to like super long term med holds. Wakeup was 0530, go downstairs, wait for breakfast for two hours, eat breakfast from hot plates because you aren't allowed to go to dfac. Sit around until noon for lunch from hot plates, then same all over again until dinner.

In middle of it, the med hours were ran were there was a "pill call" where this one really loving lovely female drill sergeant would yell your name and you'd have to make it in like 4 and half seconds to her desk to get your dose or you were poo poo out of luck.

On thursdays, most of the time, the able were allowed to walk outside. Besides that, you never see the outsides. And that lasted for like 30 minutes. On every OTHER sunday, you got 15-30 minutes of phone time, because males and females could not use the phone on the same weekend.
I managed to sneak on the rotating base bus on second day and get into the dental clinic where I asked the dental officer, literally begging, to just loving end my profile and let me go to my battery. My percocet pills were left in the med locker, who gives a poo poo.

It was the most insane poo poo I've seen in my Army career, and I saw people treated so shittily. Most of these people were short term or long term holdovers. Two females there were wearing old UCP-patterend ACU's. I was there in september 2016, and last basic training issue of UCPs was in october 2015, if I recall correctly. That'll get you some perspective how long they had spent there. One female was on her THIRD hip fracture, getting recycled again. Of the other one, I have no idea. The drill sergeants yelled at people almost non stop, had stupid insane rules for the pettiest poo poo, and treated everyone like they were some sort of prisoners. Some of the med holds were routinely crying in the room for an hour or something like that. I'm pretty sure that in most of american prisons you get better treatment, and the crime here was "being injured". Everyone who ever managed to get back from the place, including me, would tell everyone to never go to sick call, and never complain of anything. Way better to graduate with a broken wrist if need be. The Drill Sergeants would yell all the time "THIS ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE NICE BECAUSE THEN PEOPLE WILL COME HERE FOR FUN!"

YEah gently caress you whatever, no one fakes hip injury. The drill sergeants were mostly really loving lovely people, and were abhorrent. Maybe they go home every evening and play with their kids and tell their spouse "oh yeah honey I had a really cool day, yelled at a crying kid in a wheelchair how he isn't a proper soldier, feels good".

gently caress em, and gently caress all of it. Real army owns, but that poo poo was loving insane. I don't understand why keeping soldiers who enlisted voluntary in prison like conditions for better part of a year with no outside contact, family visits, freedoms, or even loving outsides, is a proper way.

The sleeping rooms had 8 or so people, so you had fireguard every night. Some people had done fireguard every night as long as they remembered. Everyone I spoke was like a loving human husk who had been there for long periods.It's still my sole story of a real hosed up inhumane thing I've seen the ARmy do.

One soldier managed to avoid it, he had enlisted as 68G, and on second to last week, during combatives, broken his wrist. He had been in the battery for a year, but because his old CO was a human or something, they managed to do it so that he didn't go to quarters, but was deemed a BCT graduate, and just stayed with whatever new cycle was in training. He just slept in the bay, helped with paperwork during day time, and repeated this for 8 months or so. Didn't get his phone, didn't get out on his own, got yelled at for stupid poo poo, but still a million times better than being at Charlie Battery. His physician recommended convalescent leave for his arm that had iron bars poking out of it and was in a Edward Scissorhands-inspired monstrosity, so that he'd go home to rest and improve his prognosis, but his new battery commander, prob mad that he had inherited the old COs broken soldier, overruled because for some reason in BCT they routinely do that for con-leave recommendations from A loving DOCTOR TO A DUDE WITH A METAL CAGE IN HIS ARM.

I'm legit mad as I write this because most correctional officers in lovely rural prisons treat people better.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 25, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
95th AG: not even once.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hahaha. I did basic at Sill in June 07. gently caress Sill. So hard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I heard a lot of recent Sill basic training horror stories. But it's nothing compared to Jackson stories.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
How a person, especially an officer, can walk into there and be like "hmm yes this is how we should treat people", is beyond me. Like, a college educated, semi-balanced person who commands the fuckign battery or battalion, just walks in to check on the caged animals in suicidal depression who stare at a wall every day for months and have no entertainment, freedom, or social contact, and be like "hmm, yes, excellent".

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think the worst basic training duty station was the one that you were in

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

How a person, especially an officer, can walk into there and be like "hmm yes this is how we should treat people", is beyond me. Like, a college educated, semi-balanced person who commands the fuckign battery or battalion, just walks in to check on the caged animals in suicidal depression who stare at a wall every day for months and have no entertainment, freedom, or social contact, and be like "hmm, yes, excellent".

I don't get involved in NCO business. :colbert:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I heard a lot of recent Sill basic training horror stories. But it's nothing compared to Jackson stories.

I have literally never heard anything bad from Jackson except "we didn't get our cellphones". I got 1 call per cycle.

What are these stories?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think BCT was dumb and pointless and ineffective, but it wasn't "terrible treatment of humans". But seeing the Charlie-battery was just loving mindblowing, like some sort of Stanford-experiment and makes everyone who has knowledge of it and partakes in it a terrible person.

I feel like these are the actual horror stories of BCT that get forgotten by most. The person who ends up in there often doesn't come back to tell the stories, and will maybe one day go with a later cycle, or get sent home.

All the other BCT stuff of "oh this ruck march whatever or I didn't have my phone" whatever wah wah, I don't give a poo poo about those.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I don't get involved in NCO business. :colbert:

No, you guys are trained to be aloof. If not initial entry, then at least something like G2G

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The only thing I ever heard about Jackson was related to "Relaxin Jackson"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

I think BCT was dumb and pointless and ineffective, but it wasn't "terrible treatment of humans". But seeing the Charlie-battery was just loving mindblowing, like some sort of Stanford-experiment and makes everyone who has knowledge of it and partakes in it a terrible person.

I feel like these are the actual horror stories of BCT that get forgotten by most. The person who ends up in there often doesn't come back to tell the stories, and will maybe one day go with a later cycle, or get sent home.

All the other BCT stuff of "oh this ruck march whatever or I didn't have my phone" whatever wah wah, I don't give a poo poo about those.

BCT was super important imo. Making people understand they aren't loving special or unique and to rely on teamwork is imperative.

Then again, I was smart enough to do basic training only once.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

No, you guys are trained to be aloof. If not initial entry, then at least something like G2G

Well, to be honest the officers that get sent to "command" basic training stuff aren't the best and brightest.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The only thing I ever heard about Jackson was related to "Relaxin Jackson"

This. And instructors sleeping with students. Maybe the occasional "got smoked in the dirt" but mainly relaxin.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I shot like 150 rounds or so maybe, did like two hours of actual tactical poo poo, and there rest of BCT I did pushups and got collectively punished. Imho kinda inefficient but I'm just a private.

Finnish basic taught me mechanized infantry skills, poo poo ton of shooting and survival skills beyond "opening MREs".

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Well, to be honest the officers that get sent to "command" basic training stuff aren't the best and brightest.

Yeah we know, some enlisted become officers.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Looking back, basic training was so goddamn easy. If I could go back and do it again knowing what I know now, I would breeze through it.

Went to Benning. F2/19 woohoo!!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If someone came up to me and said I had to go back and do BCT all over again there is no loving way I would ever be willing to do that. Longest 2 months of my life, not because it was hard but because it was so goddamn stupid and boring.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

I have literally never heard anything bad from Jackson except "we didn't get our cellphones". I got 1 call per cycle.

What are these stories?

-Disproportionate amount of injured people who hid the injuries or told their drill about the injury and were shipped without treatment to their next station.
-issued stuff to soldiers then made them give it back without removing it from CIF record. It wasn't oversight, it was SOP. CIMT CSM had to fix that himself IIRC.
-lots of outright lying about policies and procedure.
-loving up travel at soldiers' expense.
-Disproportionate number of trainees magically going from being a total PT failure to getting exactly the minimum standard the day before graduation.

Not so much individual stories of untold abuse but just a real lax attitude toward what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mustang posted:

If someone came up to me and said I had to go back and do BCT all over again there is no loving way I would ever be willing to do that. Longest 2 months of my life, not because it was hard but because it was so goddamn stupid and boring.

Same. I'd probably quit the ARmy at that point.

BCT wasn't hard in any way. I didn't learn anything, time went amazingly slow, and it was mind numbinngly boring nonstop.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Looking back, basic training was so goddamn easy. If I could go back and do it again knowing what I know now, I would breeze through it.

Went to Benning. F2/19 woohoo!!

One of my friends joined up (woman in her 30's with kids) and I spent about 3 weeks prior to her ship date exercising with her and telling her exactly what to do and when.

Distinguished honor graduate. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

-Disproportionate amount of injured people who hid the injuries or told their drill about the injury and were shipped without treatment to their next station.
-issued stuff to soldiers then made them give it back without removing it from CIF record. It wasn't oversight, it was SOP. CIMT CSM had to fix that himself IIRC.
-lots of outright lying about policies and procedure.
-loving up travel at soldiers' expense.
-Disproportionate number of trainees magically going from being a total PT failure to getting exactly the minimum standard the day before graduation.

Not so much individual stories of untold abuse but just a real lax attitude toward what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing.

Army would probably be the same if we just did inprocessing to learn customs and courtesies and basic rank structure, and go to AIT.

It's dumb, and no one can say "boohoo but maybe there isn't a better way to do it" when a conscript country that spends all of its revenue on socialism and gives like four dollars to the Army does it million times better.