Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I never post in GIP anymore, but I used to be on the McCain back in 2004-2007 ish. I was an ET, I think my bunk was right where they got hit. Looks like half of CE is unaccounted for.

:(

It's like seeing your childhood home get hit by a meteor.

For the people asking about manual steering, there's a way to do it, but it's on some ridiculous ratio, you'd have to spin the wheel hundreds of times to shift a degree.

If it got berthing 3 that's basically where my rack was, too. I wasn't sure if 7 or 3 took the brunt of the blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I was aboard, 7 was where I stayed, it's a little tiny one, right?

I had the top bunk closest to the hull, it had a ton of pipes running right above it, so I couldn't even sit up, the one perk of top bunk.

I heard a rumor that the unaccounted 9 are trapped in a comm space or something. I don't see how that makes sense, as the only space that matches is Aft IC and it's got two escape routes.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Every ship I was on had a savvy DC or EM who kept a cordless drill with the appropriate nut driver on hand in case they had to steer manually.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Local hydraulic override

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Any advice for Guam night stuff that isn't a strip club?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

I hear the Kmart is poppin

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

I hear the Kmart is poppin

If MML doesn't know, I'm boned.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

If MML doesn't know, I'm boned.

Ha, I've never actually had the pleasure. My brother was stationed there and his summary was scuba, strip clubs, and Kmart.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Ha, I've never actually had the pleasure. My brother was stationed there and his summary was scuba, strip clubs, and Kmart.

He's not wrong. Found a pretty good restaurant, and sitting between two japanese couples at the bar feels rather nostalgic. There's a live music bar I'm going to try and walk to without stopping at a strip club on the way. Hafa adai.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
All I remember from my childhood there in the early 80s is Kmart. I imagine it hasn't been updated in appearance or stock since then.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

piL posted:

Bucket list skinny dipping every beach on the west side late at night. Also do go to the parts where the locals hate non-locals.

Mac and Martys is probably still there and good, they have inside out burgers and good beers. Churascos is the Brazilian BBQ all you can eat.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
You guys forgot shooting. Tons of indoor gun ranges.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LordNad posted:

You guys forgot shooting. Tons of indoor gun ranges.

Almost as overpriced as the strip clubs

And the strip clubs may get a bad rap but once you know how to not get fleeced they're better than any other stipclubs on American soil.

Plus everybody in the service industry on island knows everybody else. Bartenders, DJs, strippers, if you start making friends there are some seriously excellent groups of people to hang with. Which groups you hang out with depends on if your more leaning toward "drunken beaches, boats, and beer runs" vs "drunken bacchanals". So make friends with everyone.

If you really just need a good recommendation asap head up to gun beach and chill there. Got a bar and volleyball courts, grab swim trunks or just skinny dip once the day crowd and tourists leave and the latenight crowd starts encouraging shenanigans

Guam is the island of misfit children. Take that into account and just flow with it as long as you can keep a clear head to not get a DUI or show up to work drunk.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One time in guam we were drunk at an indoor range so I decided to try to shoot the clip holding the target. I hit it once and the rangemaster came in. I tried to bullshit but after he shot a few times he knew I what I was doing, yelled at me to stop doing dumb poo poo, and then gave me a shitload of bullets to keep firing. It was awesome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

piL posted:

On a side note are you on guam as a single sailor or are you in a separate social bin?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

piL posted:

Try to meet and make friends with hospital folks. There's a whole subculture of night shift nurses/corpsmen who work ER/ICU/L&D that you can chill with, hit the gym, drink and go spear fishing with at 5am, whatever. I was on nights in the ER/ICU as 'punishment' for purposefully not advancing for nearly two straight years and I loved it. My entire day off routine revolved around hitting the gym right before it closed on NBG, then either hanging out with the day-shift night life or chilling until 4-5am and then going out spearfishing until 8-9am and then showering and crashing out. It was a good life.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

All I remember from my childhood there in the early 80s is Kmart. I imagine it hasn't been updated in appearance or stock since then.

That's true of every Kmart.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Guam is good for 3-5 days of drunken haze, then you realize you are there for 3 loving years.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Null Integer posted:

Guam is good for 3-5 days of drunken haze, then you realize you are there for 3 loving years.

Just a port visit, thank God.

Single sailor. Working the service industry crowd seems like a good idea if I ever got stuck here for longer--thats paid dividends in Singapore.

In SG, there are bars with amazing standards and a world class cocktail scene (and not mostly just showmanship like Tokyo), so anyone pulling in there should find a hip spot and ask the bartender where to go next. You're gonna blow strip club like money, but you probably were anyway.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So how's that readiness going in VT land

Navy's Kingsville base unable to evacuate most T-45 jets before Hurricane Harvey hits

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Jesus christ how bad is your maintenance when 3/4 (71!) of your jets aren't "airworthy"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Apparently they are having some issue with their oxygen supply to the pilots.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

LingcodKilla posted:

Apparently they are having some issue with their oxygen supply to the pilots.

Seems like more than that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LordNad posted:

Jesus christ how bad is your maintenance when 3/4 (71!) of your jets aren't "airworthy"

Old airplanes, flown constantly, contract maintenance not funded to a proper number of maintainers...

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

contract maintenance not funded to a proper number of maintainers...

Ah I see the problem now

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh cmon, you know drat well they're entirely different pots of money.

Theyre different pots of money because that's how it was appropriated.

They're ships that were designed and built for a world that never came to fruition. Instead China pursued an active blue water Navy complete with significant SUW capabilities throughout the late 90s and early 2000s while we hosed off in the middle East and seemingly confirmed the need for them. Oh and resurgent Russia.

All the while our own blue water capabilities went to hell with no investment. But don't you worry, because when poo poo kicks off in the part of the world where the most commerce, the most people, the most military forces, and the largest ocean, we might be able to soak up their missiles 500 million at a time. Maybe they'll luck into effective minesweeps. I'm not holding my breath.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 26, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LordNad posted:

Ah I see the problem now

Having worked both sides of this fence, yeah, contract maintenance is more expensive because those guys won't risk potentially losing their job for doing something out of compliance. All maintainers know "what will fly," but the active duty guys will say "Sir, this thing is held together with safety wire and speed tape. She'll get you there, but be careful" while contractors will say "I don't have the parts to complete this task. The aircraft is hard down." They then won't budge. Because the AD guys are right 95% of the time, but when you're sending 70 jets somewhere, 95% right means that there's even odds one will fail, and now your not-congresionally-guaranteed-job is on the line.

Boon posted:

.... Maybe they'll luck into effective minesweeps....

Every ship is a minesweeper once. More than once if designed well for it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LordNad posted:

Ah I see the problem now

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Exactly what babyeatingpsychopath said. P-3s are older and flown constantly. Hell we had a wing structural problem fleet wide for awhile. Underfunded and contract maintenance though? That explains it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LordNad posted:

Exactly what babyeatingpsychopath said. P-3s are older and flown constantly. Hell we had a wing structural problem fleet wide for awhile. Underfunded and contract maintenance though? That explains it.

I think you are underestimating both how often these aircraft are flown and the type of flying. That leads to a much tougher maintenance problem. IT seems as if you are trying to handwave away the signficance of those factors. Also the number you cited wasn't just down aircraft, they didn't have enough pilots either.

So you've never been in a situation where 1/3-1/2 of a P3 squadron's complement was down for maintenance?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I think you are underestimating both how often these aircraft are flown and the type of flying. That leads to a much tougher maintenance problem. IT seems as if you are trying to handwave away the signficance of those factors. Also the number you cited wasn't just down aircraft, they didn't have enough pilots either.

So you've never been in a situation where 1/3-1/2 of a P3 squadron's complement was down for maintenance?

I would agree it's quite possible. They could only get 28 pilots then? There have to be more qualified pilots than that there.

The most we've had down was a 1/3. But 1 was in depot and one was arbitrarily downed during the wing strut issues. Only 1 was "hard" down. You're probably right I'm handwaving some of the blame away but I still think the biggest problem is with civilian maintainers and the lack of them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not just the contractors vs AD piece, though that's probably part of it. But the low stocks of parts (because keeping a warehouse of stuff is wasteful! Thanks, BRAC), and low numbers of maintainers are giving the AF similar problems. I've seen MR rates in the toilet during actual combat operations while maintenance guys were working around the clock just to try to keep us above the 50% mark. And we usually had the parts available, at least.

Old planes, no spares, insufficient personnel.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
They were all grounded indefinitely due to the O2 issue. Wouldn't that push maintenance anyway?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It blows my mind that the military runs a last-minute logistics chain on aircraft spares. Like, it's cheaper when run properly, yes, but it doesn't take kindly to interference like other people trying to break your stuff and kill your people.

I had more flight-critical spares at a fly-by-night part 135 cargo airline than what I hear is standard from some acquaintances in the local ANG squadron.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But businesses show that low overhead is more cost effective. :downs:

Because that's what matters.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Taking Business Best Practices is a wonderful way to run a military!

The whole organizational/intermediate/depot-level maintenance thing is supposed to keep a pool of ready spares in the local area. The more commonly broken a repairable part is, the more of them are going to be at your intermediate maintenance shop. Unless the part is under warranty, in which case the manufacturer has all the parts and can take an unlimited amount of time to repair them.

Running a military flight program like a part 91 flight school may be far far far cheaper, but it directly leads to situations where the entire fleet is down for the same part being broken.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hey, never flying at all is the cheapest option!

MrYenko posted:

It blows my mind that the military runs a last-minute logistics chain on aircraft spares. Like, it's cheaper when run properly, yes, but it doesn't take kindly to interference like other people trying to break your stuff and kill your people.

I had more flight-critical spares at a fly-by-night part 135 cargo airline than what I hear is standard from some acquaintances in the local ANG squadron.

Our planes are routinely down for several weeks at a time, stuck in a process of order part -> wait several days for part -> part didn't fix the problem -> order the next part -> wait several days -> repeat.

And that's when there's a part available in the system at all. We've got one plane with a bad Link 16 terminal that maintenance was like :shrug: who knows when one will be available. Those things are 1980's hardware and are probably being refurbished by a 70 year old guy in his garage in Florida.

e: I'll add that this is a non-deploying shore duty station with understaffed contract maintenance, of whom very few have any prior experience with Hawkeyes. Fleet squadrons do have better priority for parts and more competent maintainers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Which makes flight ops at Fallon loving hilarious to watch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Washington Post has a pretty good story on why the 7th Fleet is stretched thin, including optempo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Washington Post has a pretty good story on why the 7th Fleet is stretched thin, including optempo.

quote:

The combined death toll eclipses the number of battlefield casualties in Afghanistan this year, which stand at 11.

Its poo poo like this and when I tell people that more Americans die every year to dog attacks than terrorism is why I cant stop drinking