Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ZiegeDame posted:

Does this make 042 Brother Rayon?

They actually pronounce 042 as "zero-yon-ni". Not really much to construct an alias from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HellCopter posted:

I always thought the "two pods hang out" scene looked like they were about to perform a comedy routine.

Someone should find a gif of them. They don't just float there, they're constantly animating and it amuses me.

One of those Osaka comedy duos, I assume?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Looking it up, there are a couple hot dog museums in Ohio, though one looks to just be a couple cabinet cases of stuff. There was apparently a kickstarted hot dog exhibit at a food museum in Chicago in 2015, but doesn't seem to have been permanent.

Pod 153 Proposal: A moose has walked into a bar.

Pod 042 Analysis: It has deficient eyesight or the bar was deliberately camouflaged as a trap.

The Dark Id posted:

there’s another fence that provides too much for even a mighty android double-jump

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Tarezax posted:

They actually pronounce 042 as "zero-yon-ni". Not really much to construct an alias from.

9S comes up with a Japanese pun for his pod's nickname. 2B takes approximately ten seconds to think, then goes with "Poddo."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pod appreciation station: have 042 as a maid.

also lol I'm not showing the rest of that figure.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Zagglezig posted:

Pod 153 Proposal: A moose has walked into a bar.

Pod 042 Analysis: It has deficient eyesight or the bar was deliberately camouflaged as a trap.

:golfclap:

Additionally,

The Dark Id posted:

2B new well enough to leave the Party Tank in peace and let those goofy machine boys have a fun time. They weren’t hurting anyone. However, now that 9S is in charge of this shindig... he simply cannot abide reckless partying behavior. They’re causing a ruckus. There’s going to be noise complaints from the neighbors. They’ve simply got to go!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
So, pod 042 and 153 are named with numbers Zero, One, Two, Three, Four and Five.... hmm. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tarezax posted:

Zero Yoni?! It's a crotchless machine spy!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Miacis posted:

So, pod 042 and 153 are named with numbers Zero, One, Two, Three, Four and Five.... hmm. :colbert:

:aaaaa:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Synthbuttrange posted:

pod appreciation station: have 042 as a maid.

Analysis: There was an error in the construction of this YoRHa model, resulting in the posterior section being placed on the front.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

i wouldnt have thought there was anything to hide if you hadn't said, honestly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Miacis posted:

Shift 042 up one number each and you get 153.

Truly two pods in a...pod.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Miacis posted:

well with those compositions they must be really schizophrenic

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXVII: Look My Way

I’m going to be really disappointed when those curtains open and it’s not another one night only machine lifeform production of a Shakespeare play.

“Laaaaaa. Laaaaaaaaaaaaa...”

“LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!”

Music: A Beautiful Song

What the hell?
Our records don’t say anything about a machine like this!
Actually, I have an intel file on this machine already in my archives.
What? Oh... Huh... That’s strange. Now that I look, me too. This unit is called “Simone,” huh?
Mine lists it as “Beauvoir.”
...That’s weird.
Hahahahahaha!

So right off the bat, we have a bit of an issue with Simone this go around as 9S: she cannot be hacked. At least not initially. Hacking is sort of 9S’s bread and butter, so this is awkward. Especially since Simone has been buffed to our level for this fight.

As such, 9S will have to spend most of the early part of this battle chipping away at the mechanical opera singer with Pod fire and Pod Programs. Melee is an option as well. But 9S’s attacks are so slow to come out that at best he can muster maybe a single swipe before having to pull back to avoid further attacks. There’s nothing new here mechanically. It’s all the same business we saw with 2B.

Luckily, we only need to bring Simone down to 80% health to move on to the next phase. Once Simone is sufficiently damaged, she’ll retreat to the stage and unleash an unavoidable hacking attack across the battlefield.

Music: A Beautiful Song (Chiptune)

Boy, remember the first time we encountered hacking ages ago? Who’d have thought this mini-game would be less a boss fight novelty and more one of the primary gameplay elements a dozen hours down the road. Once 9S blazes through this quaint original hacking challenge, we’re treated to something a touch different from 2B’s experience...

Music: ENDS

Adding lots of adornments will make me beautiful.

If we take hacking damage, it’ll affect our bodies as well! Good thing that was some beginner level stuff, right 2B?
<sparks and starts convulsing>
Oh... Right. You don’t do hacking...

Pod... I don’t suppose those android black box signals are further in the area?
Negative.
<sucks teeth> They’re all in this room, aren’t they?
Affirmative.
Oh boy...

On to Phase 2 of the battle we go as Simone takes a breather and touches up her makeup backstage.

Actually, I think their bodies have been turned into weapons as they are trapped in a perpetual state of unlife against their will.
...Can machines do that?
I... guess so...? We should DEFINITELY report this one in, regardless.
All right. This ends now!
Wait, 2B! They’re still ali—
<begins slashing enthralled androids into bits and opening fire with her Pod>
Never mind...

This is a running down the clock phase of this fight taking on countless entrapped androids as they fire out hacking beams. Since they’re all still Level 1 enemies, Pod’s fire being even in the general vicinity of one of the androids will blow it to bits. But more will just pop up in their place until a minute or so has passed. 9S can counter-hack the androids but all that accomplishes is destroying them much slower. So meh...

After a minute does pass, Simone decides to grace us with her presence again and...

I’m going to try to hack it back. Keep it busy!
You got it!

Music: A Beautiful Song (Chiptune)

Simone will busy herself focusing on 2B, giving 9S ample time to perform a quick counter-hack and treat us to another scene as soon as he’s successful...

I’ve accentuated my beauty with parts of my machine friends. I’m more beautiful than ever now. So? Will you tell me you love me?

I somehow don’t think Simone’s story is going to end well considering she was trying to gain Jean-Paul’s affection and that guy is a loving rear end in a top hat and I doubt he was much better whenever these flashbacks took place.

All that’s left to do now is to finish off Simone. Hacking proves to be a bit more difficult to pull off with Simone resorting to a lot of room filling attacks or strikes that require jumping over to avoid damage. But hacking is also the quickest way to end this fight since 2-3 more successful hacks will bring her down for good.

Music: Amusement Park (Quiet)

Do these clothes make me look cute?
Would he like it if I walked like this?

I still don’t understand what it means to love someone.
But I’ve made up my mind.

I will do whatever it takes to capture his affection.

Long ago, an old machine lifeform told me something:
“Beauty is what wins love.”

But what is “beauty”?
After researching the old world, I finally learned the truth.
Beauty is pretty skin.
Beauty is stylish accessories.
Beauty is looking one’s best.

I will become beautiful. I will do it for him.

I once heard tell of a precious jewel far to the east.
It was said to be located on a terribly dangerous mountain.
But I did not care.

I slipped on cliffs. I fell on rocks. But eventually I claimed the jewel.

Blue stone. Brilliant blue. So beautiful.

I lost many parts obtaining this jewel. I lost... myself.

But my wounds are badges.

There’s a rumor floating among the other machines lifeforms lately:
“Devour the body of an android to gain eternal beauty.”

Such nonsense.
It is physically impossible to obtain beauty by consuming an android.

But I tried anyway.
I would try anything.
I wanted to vomit, but I kept going.
It tasted like oil.

Not a moment passed where I didn’t strive to become more beautiful.
But he still won’t look my way.

I even tried to learn what is called a “song.”
Songs can make someone have feelings for you.
That’s what they say.
So I practiced every day.

I ate more androids. I even ate machine lifeforms.

That’s when I realized he cares not for jewels.
Or songs or beauty or appearance or anything else.
I cannot win his love.

Why have I done this to myself?

Meaningless.
Meaningless.
MEANINGLESS.

I gaze into the mirror. In its reflection, I see only my own meaninglessness. And so I scream.

The moral of this story: gently caress Jean-Paul! That goddamn piece of poo poo robot. :argh:

Video: Episode 77 Highlight Reel

Simone Concept Art – So what part during that process did she decide to stick a robotic Xenomorph up her robum for beauty aesthetic purposes?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 27, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Technically we've only dealt with Jean-Paul XXVIII. If you go far enough back, it turns out a machine lifeform named Jean-Paul I was responsible for directing the aliens towards Earth in the first place. This information is only available in a Japan-only phone-game spinoff of the stage play continuity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...Christ.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rangpur posted:

Technically we've only dealt with Jean-Paul XXVIII. If you go far enough back, it turns out a machine lifeform named Jean-Paul I was responsible for directing the aliens towards Earth in the first place. This information is only available in a Japan-only phone-game spinoff of the stage play continuity.

Bruceski posted:

...Christ.

Not emptyquoting.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014

Rangpur posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
SinoAlice has a Nier Automata collab running, so it very well may be the truth.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The moral of this: some people really hate Jean Paul for kind of confusing reasons.

Is the moral of John Hinckley "gently caress Jodie Foster"? Nope! If someone is a creepy obsessive who does terrible things to try to get your love, it's their fault and not yours. He didn't encourage this behavior, since it's clear that he never responded at all.

Also, I am amused that she knew eating an android was ridiculous but did it anyway.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Pod has two Lego heads with little round staring eyes under his box. I'd never noticed.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Androids having taste buds was already silly, but now machine lifeforms too? You can't even get to the mouth unless you break open their face!

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Zakrelo posted:

Androids having taste buds was already silly, but now machine lifeforms too? You can't even get to the mouth unless you break open their face!

Or maybe their mouths are sealed away specifically because early iterations kept hoovering up random crap like a dog that's just seen someone spill a bowl of peanuts.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zakrelo posted:

How does either race have anything resembling a digestive system?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Qrr posted:

The moral of this: some people really hate Jean Paul for kind of confusing reasons.

Is the moral of John Hinckley "gently caress Jodie Foster"? Nope! If someone is a creepy obsessive who does terrible things to try to get your love, it's their fault and not yours. He didn't encourage this behavior, since it's clear that he never responded at all.

This would be true if JP didn't want loads of attention and fans for him to blow off.

But it's pretty obvious that's exactly his game. He's very purposefully made himself a cult of personality for the sole purpose of blowing them off for shits and giggles.

So when a member of his fanbase goes all Buffalo Bill, then yes, the primary fault lies with Simone. But you'd hope the person that cultivated this obsession to stop and say "wow that's hosed up, maybe my douchiness has greater consequences than I realized"

Instead, when we meet Jean Paul after dealing with Simone, (so presumably he's at least heard about the creepy murder machine), he's still high on his own farts and toying with his remaining fans. Which would mean his reaction to the Simone incident (presuming he even gave it second thought) could only have been ":downs: Hey its not my fault some dumb pleb couldn't handle my magnificence! Back to sharing my verbal diahrea to the world, herp derp derp!"

That is why Jean Paul can go gently caress himself.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

This would be true if JP didn't want loads of attention and fans for him to blow off.

But it's pretty obvious that's exactly his game. He's very purposefully made himself a cult of personality for the sole purpose of blowing them off for shits and giggles.

So when a member of his fanbase goes all Buffalo Bill, then yes, the primary fault lies with Simone. But you'd hope the person that cultivated this obsession to stop and say "wow that's hosed up, maybe my douchiness has greater consequences than I realized"

Instead, when we meet Jean Paul after dealing with Simone, (so presumably he's at least heard about the creepy murder machine), he's still high on his own farts and toying with his remaining fans. Which would mean his reaction to the Simone incident (presuming he even gave it second thought) could only have been ":downs: Hey its not my fault some dumb pleb couldn't handle my magnificence! Back to sharing my verbal diahrea to the world, herp derp derp!"

That is why Jean Paul can go gently caress himself.

Where are you getting this? The only thing he does is ignore them. He doesn't respond to their gifts. He doesn't ever even look at Simone. He's kind of rude, but I have no idea where "he's very purposefully made himself a cult of personality" is coming from.

All evidence is that he doesn't care in the slightest about Simone, so of course he's not going to react to any news about her.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Qrr posted:

Where are you getting this? The only thing he does is ignore them. He doesn't respond to their gifts. He doesn't ever even look at Simone. He's kind of rude, but I have no idea where "he's very purposefully made himself a cult of personality" is coming from.

All evidence is that he doesn't care in the slightest about Simone, so of course he's not going to react to any news about her.

You don't get 4 fanatical and competing fans by accident. That and he's not shy about sharing his farts with everyone. It comes off as deliberate manipulation to me.

EDIT: To add to my thoughts, all the times he says he doesn't care about the gifts, the way he says it really comes across as "LOOK AT HOW HARD I DONT CARE ABOUT THIS! IM REALLY ABOVE THESE PLEBIAN CONCERNS GUYS!"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

You don't get 4 fanatical and competing fans by accident. That and he's not shy about sharing his farts with everyone. It comes off as deliberate manipulation to me.

EDIT: To add to my thoughts, all the times he says he doesn't care about the gifts, the way he says it really comes across as "LOOK AT HOW HARD I DONT CARE ABOUT THIS! IM REALLY ABOVE THESE PLEBIAN CONCERNS GUYS!"

Frankly I have no idea how he got the fans. None of them provide any details. And I don't really see how talking philosophy at people is direct manipulation.

As for the subtext you're reading in, once again I think it lacks evidence.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SirPhoebos posted:

You don't get 4 fanatical and competing fans by accident.

Tell that to killers like James Holmes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jean-Paul isn't some movie star. There's maybe a few dozen sentient machines out there, if you don't count the assholes in the forest. A neighbor comes up to talk to him and he starts waxing philosophical about how stupid they are what a waste of time talking to them would be. That's the kind of person he is. He doesn't even have the decency to tell his fans to gently caress off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For the record my "...Christ" wasn't directed at Jean-Paul, it was at how the game suddenly and efficiently went full Drakengard by interrupting the victory over a creepy boss fight with a narrative about the self-destructive spiral of obsession.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
In real life though, both Sartre and de Beauvoir were some flavor of dbag, in the "she seduces her underage students and passes them on to him when she's done" sense. There's plenty of "ew, yikes" to go around in that relationship.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

FrankZP posted:

In real life though, both Sartre and de Beauvoir were some flavor of dbag, in the "she seduces her underage students and passes them on to him when she's done" sense. There's plenty of "ew, yikes" to go around in that relationship.

That's a shame. I still think it's cool that Sartre was willing to dissect the anti-Semite thought process, and why arguing with them is so loving frustrating.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Solitair posted:

That's a shame. I still think it's cool that Sartre was willing to dissect the anti-Semite thought process, and why arguing with them is so loving frustrating.

70% of famous smart people throughout history were monsters.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Vosgian Beast posted:

70% of famous smart people throughout history were monsters.

90%. The 20% were just much better at hiding it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure everybody has some horrible thing in their past except Mr Rogers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought the robot Simone was into was the one right after you do the platforming section on the rocket ride. Or that's how I saw it anyway.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 26, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

iospace posted:

I thought the robot Simone was into was the one right after you do the platforming section on the rocket ride. Or that's how I saw it anyway.

Are you talking about the Sad Machine? I had a whole headcanon where he was sad because she went nuts.

Then I realized that the not looking makes a lot more sense for Jean-Paul, so...yeah, I'm kinda bad at Robot Game Symbolism.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/geheichou/status/900779425662455808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Miacis posted:

I don't care enough to do the math and prove (or disprove) it, but with 6 digits and no repeats, there's probably more combinations that are contiguous than combinations that aren't. 012345 is interesting, but not necessarily special or significant.

..... I may have partially nerd sniped myself, because I'm finding myself more and more curious about whether my gut was right here....

• Locked thread