Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked a lot in Watership Down and can't seem to choose.

"Hazel? Oh, Hazel. This is where it comes from..."
"There's a dog loose in the wood!"
"Yes, let's help ourselves to a roof of bones!"
"Yoo STOOPHID BAHNNIES! Yoo got no mates! Whe ah mates?! Whe ah CHIIIIIHCKS?!"
"Can you run? I think not. I think... not."
"There's no white bird here, Bigwig."

Plenty good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

Speaking of Boomhauer, what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rzSslub6U

Sir Lemming posted:

Can I just put "every single line by Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove"?

Patrick Warburton has never delivered a line with anything less than perfection.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"No, Bob. That's bad."

It's from the Incredibles, during the dinner table scene. My wife and I say this to each other all the time.

"Why do we even have that lever!?"

The entrance to Yzma's secret lair in Emperor's New Groove has two levers. One opens a trap door. Kronk can never pull the right one.

Also everything Kronk says is pure gold.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Samuel Clemens posted:

Patrick Warburton has never delivered a line with anything less than perfection.

also every line from every actor in Venture Bros ever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

starkebn posted:

also every line from every actor in Venture Bros ever

I've been wanting to integrate "double drat't" intonmy vernacular for years but there's no way for me to make it sound natural and not forced.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm also particularly fond of, "Super run away!"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
wait hold up did we seriously lose one of the better posters in this thread over literally nothing?

that's hosed up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hedrigall is completely innocuous and people making a show of being outraged over nothing is ludicrous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait hold up did we seriously lose one of the better posters in this thread over literally nothing?

that's hosed up

Let me check.

Nope! We lost a weirdo shitposter who made the thread about their fetish every couple of pages, constantly tested the limits after being told to knock it off, and whose presence here made other, better posters uncomfortable even participating in the thread.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Let me check.

Nope! We lost a weirdo shitposter

Seems like you're still here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Seems like you're still here.

And glad to be, as it's increasingly one of the best places to talk about animation on these forums or in general.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hedrigall is not banned from the thread. If he wants to post about literally anything other than animals and how much he wants to gently caress them in this thread, he can.

If you find it so hard to post in this thread without talking about your furry lust, don't. There are hundreds of other places on the internet where you can get together and talk about it. This thread is not one of them.

If you want to keep talking about how horrible I am for telling people to stop talking about wanting to gently caress animals because literally no one else wants to read or participate in a thread where that is the focus of multiple pages, go make a QCS thread about it. Stop talking about it here, and talk about Animated characters without mentioning how much you want to gently caress them.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GonSmithe posted:

Hedrigall is not banned from the thread. If he wants to post about literally anything other than animals and how much he wants to gently caress them in this thread, he can.

If you find it so hard to post in this thread without talking about your furry lust, don't. There are hundreds of other places on the internet where you can get together and talk about it. This thread is not one of them.

If you want to keep talking about how horrible I am for telling people to stop talking about wanting to gently caress animals because literally no one else wants to read or participate in a thread where that is the focus of multiple pages, go make a QCS thread about it. Stop talking about it here, and talk about Animated characters without mentioning how much you want to gently caress them.

What's your favorite animated movie GonSmithe mine is probably Fox and the Hound or maybe Chicken Run

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Chicken Run is soooooo good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Samuel Clemens posted:

Man I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid, I really need to rewatch it again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

What's your favorite animated movie GonSmithe mine is probably Fox and the Hound or maybe Chicken Run

I really love Ratatouille because I went to culinary school and it really hit home with its message.

I'm also very partial to Fantastic Mr. Fox because I love Wes Anderson and that movie is so charming, ParaNorman because of the incredible stop-motion and unrelentingly bleak yet hopeful story that doesn't treat its audience like idiots, and The Iron Giant which I think is a masterpiece.

I love animated movies in general though so there's definitely too many to pick. Chicken Run is insanely good.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GonSmithe posted:

I really love Ratatouille because I went to culinary school and it really hit home with its message.

I'm also very partial to Fantastic Mr. Fox because I love Wes Anderson and that movie is so charming, ParaNorman because of the incredible stop-motion and unrelentingly bleak yet hopeful story that doesn't treat its audience like idiots, and The Iron Giant which I think is a masterpiece.

I love animated movies in general though so there's definitely too many to pick. Chicken Run is insanely good.

All great picks. Gonna ask an off topic question did you enjoy culinary school and do you suggest someone interested in cooking go that length, it's what I think I want to do in the near future.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Seeing Chicken Run first made watching The Great Escape an even better experience, impressively considering what a good movie it is to begin with. I imagine the reverse works too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

All great picks. Gonna ask an off topic question did you enjoy culinary school and do you suggest someone interested in cooking go that length, it's what I think I want to do in the near future.

I don't want to derail this thread more than it has already so if you want to continue this conversation PM me after, but all I have to say is that if you're just interested in cooking, it is not.
It's very expensive, and I learned a lot of amazing techniques and I can cook really really well when I try, but it was not worth it in the end for me because restaurants are too stressful of a situation for me to work in. If you think you can handle the stress and want to make that your career, then by all means go for it. But if you just like cooking, there are many free resources online and millions of recipes for you to get better at cooking.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ratatouille is worth it just for the food critic's review of the meal at the end of the film. That's probably one of my favorite monologues in films.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Man I'm really nostalgic for the PS1 chicken run tie in game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IUG posted:

Ratatouille is worth it just for the food critic's review of the meal at the end of the film. That's probably one of my favorite monologues in films.

Anton Ego is one of the best Disney "villains" period. He's not evil. He's not even really wrong, he's just contextually terrifying and kind of a jerk, and the resolution to his arc doesn't involve him recanting or dying horribly. He just remembers that it's important to enjoy what you do.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Iron Giant is such a good movie, but I tried to watch it with my kid he left the room because it was "boring." :( Guess I'll try again when he has more of an attention span.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Labes for days posted:

Iron Giant is such a good movie, but I tried to watch it with my kid he left the room because it was "boring." :( Guess I'll try again when he has more of an attention span.

The Iron Giant is great. I just can't watch it anymore because of those weekend-long marathons that Cartoon Network would do for some holiday, and burnt myself out of that movie hard

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's one thing to have a crush on some cartoon animal character when you're eight years old, but it's undeniably creepy coming from an adult.

As for favorite animated films...

I've always been close to the first five Disney features - Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi. I still think Fantasia is the greatest animated feature ever made, if just because no one has been able to top it. Pixar had a great run in the 2000s with Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up.

Nearly anything Ghibli is great, especially Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and The Cat Returns.

Also, the 70s Raggedy Ann & Andy musical is a big guilty pleasure for me, even if it completely falls apart in the second half.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fantasia still holds up as perhaps the best traditional rendering of all time.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm looking for some movie reccomendations for my boyfriend. I've recommended and he's enjoyed:

Despicable Me 1 + 2
Wreck-It Ralph
The Lego Movie
The Lego Batman Movie
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Zootopia
Moana

Ones I plan on reccomending are:
Paranorman
Rango
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Emperor's New Groove
The Road to El Dorado

Anything else along those lines would be good.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I watched Prince of Egypt again for my yearly viewing. It still remains one of my favorite animated films.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Seeing Chicken Run first made watching The Great Escape an even better experience, impressively considering what a good movie it is to begin with. I imagine the reverse works too.

I wonder how many kids didn't really get that Chicken Run was an homage to until their dad or grandpa had them watch The Great Escape

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flaccid Trip posted:

I'm looking for some movie reccomendations for my boyfriend. I've recommended and he's enjoyed:

Despicable Me 1 + 2
Wreck-It Ralph
The Lego Movie
The Lego Batman Movie
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Zootopia
Moana

Ones I plan on reccomending are:
Paranorman
Rango
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Emperor's New Groove
The Road to El Dorado

Anything else along those lines would be good.

As mentioned above, The Iron Giant is a tremendous film and personally it's one of my all-time favorites. I'd definitely put that on the list.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't get the love for Road to El Dorado.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

How much Disney has he seen? Only asking since you listed Emperor's New Groove as one he hasn't seen yet. I'll assume he's already seen Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame et al, though if he hasn't, those are essential watching. Great Mouse Detective, Oscar and Company and the two Rescuers films are pretty good films as well, if a little more niche in this day and age compared to all the other Disney films I listed (like, I sort of assume he's seen the first set, but can't be certain of the latter since they came pre-Renaissance). Nightmare Before Christmas is also a pretty fun little stop-motion flick; Disney followed it up with James and the Giant Peach, though I don't remember that one nearly as clearly. As for their 3D offerings, basically anything from Bolt onward should be seen; you've already got Wreck-It Ralph!, Zootopia and Moana, but that skips Bolt, Tangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6. (Don't watch Chicken Little. Maybe watch Meet the Robinsons, I haven't seen it myself to judge, but Chicken Little, I think I know enough.)

As for non-Disney, definitely echoing Iron Giant and Prince of Egypt, and you've already got Road to El Dorado and Fantastic Mr. Fox listed. Coraline and Kubo and the Two Strings also come highly recommended, I didn't see either mentioned. I vaguely remember sorta liking Sinbad when I caught it at a hotel this one time, I guess?

Didn't even bring up Pixar, but Pixar, you should basically watch everything. Maybe you can skip Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, and Brave was a little blah, but I liked the rest well enough.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

I don't get the love for Road to El Dorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPI9xuUQKM

:toot:

Frankly I just think the animation is gorgeous, especially with Tulio

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shadow Hog posted:

How much Disney has he seen? Only asking since you listed Emperor's New Groove as one he hasn't seen yet. I'll assume he's already seen Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame et al, though if he hasn't, those are essential watching. Great Mouse Detective, Oscar and Company and the two Rescuers films are pretty good films as well, if a little more niche in this day and age compared to all the other Disney films I listed (like, I sort of assume he's seen the first set, but can't be certain of the latter since they came pre-Renaissance). Nightmare Before Christmas is also a pretty fun little stop-motion flick; Disney followed it up with James and the Giant Peach, though I don't remember that one nearly as clearly. As for their 3D offerings, basically anything from Bolt onward should be seen; you've already got Wreck-It Ralph!, Zootopia and Moana, but that skips Bolt, Tangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6. (Don't watch Chicken Little. Maybe watch Meet the Robinsons, I haven't seen it myself to judge, but Chicken Little, I think I know enough.)

As for non-Disney, definitely echoing Iron Giant and Prince of Egypt, and you've already got Road to El Dorado and Fantastic Mr. Fox listed. Coraline and Kubo and the Two Strings also come highly recommended, I didn't see either mentioned. I vaguely remember sorta liking Sinbad when I caught it at a hotel this one time, I guess?

Didn't even bring up Pixar, but Pixar, you should basically watch everything. Maybe you can skip Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, and Brave was a little blah, but I liked the rest well enough.

I'm the boyfriend in question, and yeah I've seen the big-name Disney movies.

I am adding all of the movies you mentioned to my must-see list.

Thanks!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If you have Filmstruck (which, protip, you should get NOW), there is a weird af experimental animated film called Asparagus. It's a surrealist short with several different animation techniques and a bunch of dick jokes. No dialogue. Highly recommended.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Thanks!

How are you on weightier animated fare?

Watership Down
Mary & Max
The Illusionist (Lightest on the list in execution, but Bicycle Thief-esque in theme)
Perfect Blue (literal last shot makes me wanna fling tables, though)
The Prince of Egypt
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Grave of the Fireflies
Anomalisa
Memories (vignettes, last one being my favorite)
Felidae

Some have already been mentioned, but they fit a weighty list.

I also want to recommend A Town Called Panic, Only Yesterday and When Marnie Was There because I just really like them.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

Thanks!

Animation marathon as a follow-up to seeing IT on Sunday?

Also, confession time: I have never seen The Iron Giant, and need to remedy that

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anton Ego is one of the best Disney "villains" period. He's not evil. He's not even really wrong, he's just contextually terrifying and kind of a jerk, and the resolution to his arc doesn't involve him recanting or dying horribly. He just remembers that it's important to enjoy what you do.

I loved how perfectly they got across the idea that the taste of the ratatouille was casting a warm sunrise over Ego's very soul.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Two of my favorite little details about Anton Ego: dude was going to do a spit take but stopped when he saw the vintage of the wine he was drinking, and he didn't make fun of the plate of ratatouille like the other guy did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

Two of my favorite little details about Anton Ego: dude was going to do a spit take but stopped when he saw the vintage of the wine he was drinking, and he didn't make fun of the plate of ratatouille like the other guy did

He stopped mid-spit take to check the vintage. Anton Ego would never let a mere reflex action waste a good wine.