Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm glad I decided to get Showtime through Hulu, because it gives me access to the angry 40 something dudes who hate every episode but keep watching anyway in the comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think the hobos have taken on their role this season.

they even have glowy eyes in the dark!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Wally has been the best part of this season. Cera looked like he had to try his hardest to hold back a smile during that whole scene.

I love how while people were absolutely right that The Return would be closer to FWWM and later Lynch movies, it still has an enormous amount of ridiculously funny poo poo. At this point it is like 50:50 shenanigans to horror if you excuse Episode 8.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

Also this is a dumb idea, but the thing inside of her may not be as malevolent as it appears, remember it did seem to come out of the Laura ball and not the Bob egg.

I am actually starting to lean towards this even though I can't really say why. It just seems like we really haven't seen Sarah be as evil/sadistic/power hungry as Bob and Booper and this one time when she actually does something hosed up it is because she is getting verbally attacked by a really unpleasant guy who calls her a oval office and gives off abusive vibes. And in relation to her family history I feel like her response was kinda understandable.

She also seemed to warn the clerks in the store about the men who are coming, which I guess are the woodsmen?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Isn't Charlie probably just a manifestation of Audrey's inability to wake up from her coma? The "threshold" is the gateway to the waking world, the "dweller on the threshold" that Hawk mentions is maybe some being that exists partly in dreams, partly in reality.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm glad I decided to get Showtime through Hulu, because it gives me access to the angry 40 something dudes who hate every episode but keep watching anyway in the comments

But you have access to this thread regardless of whether you got Showtime

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Isn't Charlie probably just a manifestation of Audrey's inability to wake up from her coma? The "threshold" is the gateway to the waking world, the "dweller on the threshold" that Hawk mentions is maybe some being that exists partly in dreams, partly in reality.
Yeah, that seems to be more and more obvious (if you're familiar with Lynch's tendency to portray the inner workings of an extremely altered mind as realistic but strange events). Maybe what she thinks of as Billy is a separate personification or just represents the waking world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Richard said in this latest episode that Audrey would carry a photo of Coop around, so we know she woke up eventually.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And carrying a baby to term and delivering while in a coma is dedication.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm sure it's already been discussed but uh...very soon the Twin Peaks Jail will have mewling blind woman, one punch AND Sarah Palmer all in the same place. Maybe "Sarah" knew that the blind woman (Naido?) was in the jail somehow and needed to get to her so she went to the bar on purpose to get thrown in the clink for an epic showdown, not knowing that the Fireman gave Freddy the Magic Glove of Doom.

And Chad gets to watch the whole thing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

tap my mountain posted:

Also this is a dumb idea, but the thing inside of her may not be as malevolent as it appears, remember it did seem to come out of the Laura ball and not the Bob egg.

This is incorrect - it came out of neither. There were other small eggs in the stuff BOB came out of, and one of those small eggs hatched into the frog thing.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

tap my mountain posted:

I like how it took like 6 episodes before we got confirmation on whether or not the girl was Sarah Palmer

wait, when was that actually confirmed?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, if nothing else, it's kinda hard to think of an insect-like amphibian that crawls in your mouth after you've been put to sleep along with the whole town by a guy who's jonesing for a smoke so hard he's resorted to crushing craniums with his bare hands as a force for good.

e: ^^^ I'm still in the unconfirmed camp myself but I have to admit, the pressure of evidence is mounting, especially knowing how much evidence for anything David Lynch usually gives.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
Yeah I'm not buying it either. Secret History says Sarah was born in 1945 and met Leland in Washington, so I'm not sure why that would get immediately retconned. Given how little Lynch/Frost seem to care about continuity details it's not totally implausible but it seems weird. Has the new season ever contradicted the Secret History before?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Adhesion posted:

Yeah I'm not buying it either. Secret History says Sarah was born in 1945 and met Leland in Washington, so I'm not sure why that would get immediately retconned. Given how little Lynch/Frost seem to care about continuity details it's not totally implausible but it seems weird. Has the new season ever contradicted the Secret History before?

How is that a retcon? The guy in part 8 could just not be Leland and it could be that he family moved to Twin Peaks at some point.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Once you kiss someone you're married to them forever

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I do wonder whether the incest aspect will ever get brought up again. I mean... we keep talking about how similar Season 3 is to FWWM, but that movie was just... dripping with the subtext of the tragedy of Laura's life and what she had to endure. To me, a very interesting moment was when Andy was inside Jack Rabbit's Palace being shown images by The Fireman, and he sees Laura with angels on either side of her. That was very interesting, and it was followed up ominous shots of The Arm in telephone pole form. I don't know what that means or portends, but it's there - it even makes Andy's mouth open in...shock? Horror? The image of The Arm, I mean.

But yeah, I'm really hoping Lynch pays off the FWWM connections with bringing things back to Laura and what happened to her. Because to me, THAT was always the heart of Twin Peaks, and that's why I loved FWWM mostly - because it brought the focus back to where it belongs, and I'm hoping he does that again in these last 3 episodes.

I hope episodes 17 and 18 are 3.5 hours long, each. Or at least episode 18 should be 3+ hours long. I'm okay with episode 17 only being an hour and a half, but no less.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh.... This is random, and I don't if it's been pointed out, but in the last episode where the woodsman had stuff dripping out of his mouth and pulled a lever - the apparatus near him, which looked a bit like a TV that had been taken apart, is JUST like the apparatus near the woodsman in the "Room Above the Convenience Store" from Philip Jeffries hallucination. I do not know WHY I had never made that connection before but it is absolutely true, and it also lights up in a somewhat similar manner as in FWWM in that scene :raise:

I feel stupid not noticing that before.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's a radio

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

it was followed up ominous shots of The Arm in telephone pole form. I don't know what that means or portends, but it's there - it even makes Andy's mouth open in...shock? Horror? The image of The Arm, I mean.

huh?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Adhesion posted:

It definitely retconned Carl Rod's age. In the book he's the third grade in 1947 when him and the Log Lady are abducted. In the series he's been smoking for 75 years (and looks way older than 70s).

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Sometimes people embellish things like that for effect. Also smoking your whole life would age you. Carl is full of secrets, who knows

Regarding NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park. Trailers will often have their meters on a pole at the site and not on the actual trailer. Could the #6 pole that's supposed to have moved with the park just be designating a lot number? Would make the same 6 showing up somewhere else make more sense.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

When Andy is shown the image of the Telephone Pole that represents the arm in the real world, his mouth opens. Otherwise, he seems to make no expression.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Richard said in this latest episode that Audrey would carry a photo of Coop around, so we know she woke up eventually.

I could be wrong, but I thought he said that his mom had it. Not that she carried it around.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought he said that his mom had it. Not that she carried it around.

Yeah. my head picture was a framed picture on a hospital bedside table. but I guess that doesn't make much sense either.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zelah posted:

Sometimes people embellish things like that for effect. Also smoking your whole life would age you. Carl is full of secrets, who knows

Ok maybe, but I refuse to believe Carl and the log lady were only 49 or 50 in FWWM. Or that they are only in their 70s this season. It's much more believeable that that the book wanted them to get abducted as children in the late 40s, and then the new series went back to more reasonable ages for them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I do hope the show will turn out to have a fairly consistent internal logic and I don't have to read up on some bullshit theosophy wikipedia pages to get what was going on after it's over.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Ok maybe, but I refuse to believe Carl and the log lady were only 49 or 50 in FWWM. Or that they are only in their 70s this season. It's much more believeable that that the book wanted them to get abducted as children in the late 40s, and then the new series went back to more reasonable ages for them.

Catherine Coulson died at 72, and imo HDS is a very good looking 91.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I do hope the show will turn out to have a fairly consistent internal logic and I don't have to read up on some bullshit theosophy wikipedia pages to get what was going on after it's over.

I'm honestly wondering whether Lynch will be giving final closure to the entire Twin Peaks mythology, or leave room for more.

It doesn't really seem... reasonable or appropriate that he "explain" everything, I guess I'm sort of talking about the tone the ending will take. Like, if you take the end of season 2 (intense cliffhanger) and the end of FWWM (a kinda perfect ending to the entire TP mythology entirely on its own and one of the most powerful moments Lynch ever filmed and Badalamenti ever scored) as two polar opposites, I'm sort of hoping the ending to this errs towards closure... I might have felt differently if so many actors weren't dead or hadn't died. I think there is far too much happening to have any sort of legit explanation that squarely solves everything (I don't want that and am glad Lynch won't go there).

I guess what I want is for the 'explanation' to be as mysterious as the initial mystery, though that is hard to pull off. I hope it's something that makes me wanna rewatch everything without being too much of a "gotcha" moment. Sigh.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

kaworu posted:

I'm honestly wondering whether Lynch will be giving final closure to the entire Twin Peaks mythology, or leave room for more.

It doesn't really seem... reasonable or appropriate that he "explain" everything, I guess I'm sort of talking about the tone the ending will take. Like, if you take the end of season 2 (intense cliffhanger) and the end of FWWM (a kinda perfect ending to the entire TP mythology entirely on its own and one of the most powerful moments Lynch ever filmed and Badalamenti ever scored) as two polar opposites, I'm sort of hoping the ending to this errs towards closure... I might have felt differently if so many actors weren't dead or hadn't died. I think there is far too much happening to have any sort of legit explanation that squarely solves everything (I don't want that and am glad Lynch won't go there).

I guess what I want is for the 'explanation' to be as mysterious as the initial mystery, though that is hard to pull off. I hope it's something that makes me wanna rewatch everything without being too much of a "gotcha" moment. Sigh.

It's okay if there are loose ends and obviously some things are more atmospheric and sensual than logical, but I just hope I won't need any kind of external reference to make sense of it. It should stand on its own and I don't want to have to read weird crap about Taoism and Alistair Crowley to get what is going on.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Lynch seems to use a very generic intention about the transcendental scope of the TP universe and people finding connections in other work or ideas aren't really revealing TPs mysteries. I think Lynch gives everything you need in the show. Also Lynch and this kind of stuff is always super fuzzy, multiple versions, constant borrowing and amalgamation. So reading one or endless wiki pages won't really help. It gives something for a minority to chew on, but doesn't give them a leg up.

Also Lynch loves the unknown and invoking the feeling. I think there's never really An Answer to the mythos of TP.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 25, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I was blown away by this for real.

Regarding Lynch and meditation, Tibet, and Buddhism again, I'm starting to think even more now that the kettle/boiler/etc. type structure we see commonly throughout season 3 are also mean to evoke bells used in Buddhist religious practices as well as the "singing bowl" type bells used for meditative purposes in Tibet. It would make certain consistent things regarding the show's sound design make waaaaaay too much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3okem4OCk

I think what really made Jeffries work is how the writing puts him in an immediate position of power over BadCoop, and what a great job they did for the build up to it, like everything from the second we realize Cooper is approaching the convenience store and on. On top of that we're used to seeing Evil Cooper be like ten steps ahead of everyone else, but Jeffries just sort of sends him away like he's nothing, and the way Jeffries sends information by just spitting numbers out, like it's awesome.

Hey still catching up with the thread so I wanted to finish it before unrolling all my theories and stuff, but I just wanted to tell you how cool this is. Maybe its b/c I'm a musician, but I've never had such an instant visceral connection to the idea of meditating before hearing this stuff. Thanks again.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Walrus posted:

Yeah. my head picture was a framed picture on a hospital bedside table. but I guess that doesn't make much sense either.

Dopplecoop just went to the ICU to drop off a picture of himself in case Audrey had soap opera amnesia when she woke up.

TheMaestroso posted:

This is incorrect - it came out of neither. There were other small eggs in the stuff BOB came out of, and one of those small eggs hatched into the frog thing.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

When Andy is shown the image of the Telephone Pole that represents the arm in the real world, his mouth opens. Otherwise, he seems to make no expression.

It's the telephone pole representing the arm thing that's getting me. Do you mean the one with the 6 on it? When was this ever a thing? That's a bit much to assume from the end of that FWWM scene.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The pole representing the arm('s doppleganger?) is a cool theory but the only clue connecting the two is that the arm is an electric tree now. The pole was already established before the arm lost its drat mind and accused Lynch of raping his daughter and turned into it's current form.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Well at least Michael Anderson got to Arm it up on that Scooby-Doo show awhile back. Seems weird that he'd burn his bridges so publicly and in such a bizarre manner, given that he'd already shown himself eager to reprise the role for even a clearly non-canon, animated version of the Red Room. I wonder if there might not be some kind of senility going on here.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

The pole representing the arm('s doppleganger?) is a cool theory but the only clue connecting the two is that the arm is an electric tree now.

This establishing shot of the pole is overlayed with TMFAP's whooping sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdmYsbW-cY

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Catherine Coulson died at 72

drat, that's surprising. :(

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

...! posted:

Well at least Michael Anderson got to Arm it up on that Scooby-Doo show awhile back. Seems weird that he'd burn his bridges so publicly and in such a bizarre manner, given that he'd already shown himself eager to reprise the role for even a clearly non-canon, animated version of the Red Room. I wonder if there might not be some kind of senility going on here.

Got addicted to that trump sparkle that Red was pushing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I guess everybody's just too classy to make this dumb joke? I'm not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPqJS1_Az8Y

Btw, they forgot to credit Lorna MacMillan who played Laura's angel in FWWM for this scene. Laura's face gets a credit, but not the pretty angel? C'mon Showtime…

And More fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 25, 2017