Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Ravel posted:

I doubt GRRM has communicated anything that concrete to them about the final book. Nobody is invested in Euron and having him be so central to the final conflict reminds me of the finale of breaking bad, which had a similar tertiary character somehow promoted to main villain and the whole thing was impotent as a result.

110% agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

lezard_valeth posted:

Reposting from the bad thread.

This explains a lot.

You realize The Onion is a parody website, yes?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This is like that time Jon Hendren went on TV to talk about Edward Snowden.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

grack posted:

You realize The Onion is a parody website, yes?

I did not :( Not familiar with english news media, but note taken :downs:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ravel posted:

I doubt GRRM has communicated anything that concrete to them about the final book. Nobody is invested in Euron and having him be so central to the final conflict reminds me of the finale of breaking bad, which had a similar tertiary character somehow promoted to main villain and the whole thing was impotent as a result.

GRRM divorced himself from the show a while ago, he got about 20 characters still alive that they killed.

I dont think he gives a poo poo what they do

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I can't wait to see people flinging poo poo at Dany tbh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Isn't the Dany actress big enough that she has a stunt nude these days?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

Isn't the Dany actress big enough that she has a stunt nude these days?

Yes. Her name is Rosie Mac if you want to find some tabloid poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Ravel posted:

I could see GRRM thinking Euron would be the main villain if you look at where the books were six years ago.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lloyd Boner posted:

I can't wait to see people flinging poo poo at Dany tbh

Yas queen

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fact that Bronn gets a happy ending in those leaks makes me pretty sure they're fake. If he doesn't die a hero's death then his whole arc makes no sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I could see GRRM thinking Euron would be the main villain if you look at where the books were six years ago.

I play the GoT card game with my gf and she has to explain who half the people are. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Euron is the final boss in the TV show despite people like me being all "where the gently caress did this dude pop up from?"

Is he mentioned and I've just forgotten due to it being ages?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

precision posted:

The fact that Bronn gets a happy ending in those leaks makes me pretty sure they're fake. If he doesn't die a hero's death then his whole arc makes no sense.

Hes not a hero hes an opportunistic sell sword. If he was supposed to have a heros death he would have just fought the mountain for tyrion

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

JBP posted:

I play the GoT card game with my gf and she has to explain who half the people are. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Euron is the final boss in the TV show despite people like me being all "where the gently caress did this dude pop up from?"

Is he mentioned and I've just forgotten due to it being ages?

Well in the book he gets a lot of attention because he hosed up the lives of his entire family, three of whom are viewpoint characters, and he's even more ridiculous because he has a horn of dragoncalling he's going to win Dany's heart with, and he drinks this thing that's supposed to kill you and makes his lips purple, and he has heavy metal hair and a bright blue eye or something. He's the most Mary Sue character in the whole series.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Euron is certainly being set up as a major player for the next phase of the story and his narrative trajectory seems like it will bring him into conflict with Dany (through dragon theft) and Cersei (by invading the Reach) but there's also foreshadowing that he'll ally with one or both of them (Dany's dream about a blue-lipped lover + House of the Undying vision of one her lovers being represented by a corpse on the prow of a ship smiling sadly; Aeron has a fever dream after ingesting Shade of the Evening in which he sees Euron handing around a figure that is probably Cersei [or Dany] + their alliance on the show). Thematically, one can also interpret Euron as a kind of Anti-Bran, since there's the implication that he was once groomed by the Three Eyed Crow like Bran was (the crow imagery, one eye imagery, dreams of flying as a child) and he's like the only character in the series who is embracing magic and exploiting it to acquire power, so he has the potential to be a lasting antagonist.

Really, I like Euron being the final antagonist in a kind of Saruman at the Scouring of the Shire kind of the way because his inclusion in the story is kind of "forced"* (and I mean that in a good way): he's the type of monster that can only rise to prominence as a result of the chaos created by the War of the Five Kings (hence his true introduction in AFFC, which deals with the postwar) so he's clawed his way into the story and will claw his way to the top by exploiting blood magic and god knows what else (if we're looking at all the vague Lovecraftian imagery with the Drowned God and the history of the Iron Islands in TWOIAF). I've seen other people speculate that the show has cribbed the "Night's King steals a dragon and burns down the Wall" thing from Book Euron, and, while I wouldn't go that far, for him to do something catastrophic like that would fit with what we know about him. Anyone interested in knowing more should go read Poor Quentyn's Eldritch Apocalypse theory which, while a bit out there, is a fun read.

* see also Aegon, who is a pretender in every sense of the word as he is designed from the ground up to steal Jon and Dany's thunder as both Rhaegar's lost son in hiding and the exiled heir to the throne returning to reclaim their birthright.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

precision posted:

But that's his arc in the books :shrug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doesn't bronn retire to his castle stokeworth and name the stokeworth kid Tyrion to gently caress with cersei in the book?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

basic hitler posted:

Doesn't bronn retire to his castle stokeworth and name the stokeworth kid Tyrion to gently caress with cersei in the book?

The Stokeworth rape bastard yes. He also kills the husband of Lollys' sister, who conspired with Cersei to kill Bronn, which lands the sister in Qyburn's dungeon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Turns out GoT actors don't earn nearly as much as they were rumored to: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4302776/game-of-thrones-cast-salaries-emilia-clarke-kit-harrington/

Top earners get around 500k USD per episode.

Also the leaks are so totally real.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh no, "only" 500,000 dollars per episode.

Gonna have to find my tiniest violin for this one...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Eh, I mean, people itt were saying they were getting 1.2 million dollar etc, thought it was fair to post the real numbers.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Considering what the show likely makes for gurm, the hacks, and HBO itself, that seems a rather low figure honestly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Turns out GoT actors don't earn nearly as much as they were rumored to: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4302776/game-of-thrones-cast-salaries-emilia-clarke-kit-harrington/

Top earners get around 500k USD per episode.

Also the leaks are so totally real.

I thought it was always known they earn .5m an episode. That's still a loving huge amount of money for principals.

Consider that Spacey gets around the same for house of cards. It's extraordinary.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It means that the GoT main cast earn about half as much as the top 3 billed actors on The Big Bang Theory.

Though I mean, say what you will about the Big Bang Theory but Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco are better at acting than Kit and Emilia, so maybe they deserve more?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

I thought it was always known they earn .5m an episode. That's still a loving huge amount of money for principals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/04/25/game-thrones-stars-reportedly-sign-biggest-pay-per-episode-deal/

And 500k is pretty low, when the Friends actors made 1 million a episode back in 2004, the Simpson VA make 300k per episode and even the HIMYM actors made 225,000 per episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Decius posted:

And 500k is pretty low, when the Friends actors made 1 million a episode back in 2004, the Simpson VA make 300k per episode and even the HIMYM actors made 225,000 per episode.

Friends had to film 22 episodes a year, and every cast member was basically in every episode.

GoT films 10 (or less!) episodes and many actors have several episodes where they don't show up at all or barely show up. I'd say the Friends crowd earned it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh no Emilia Clarke only got half a mil for staring into the camera with no expression and saying "bendy knees" a couple of times. How will the poor girl put bread on the table. :ohdear:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Friends had to film 22 episodes a year, and every cast member was basically in every episode.

GoT films 10 (or less!) episodes and many actors have several episodes where they don't show up at all or barely show up. I'd say the Friends crowd earned it.

GoT got its best reported ratings ever recently with 10m viewers Friends averaged 30m a episode with 3 times as many episodes a year and every actor probably had more screentime by far then any single actor during a hourlong of thrones.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

Really, I like Euron being the final antagonist in a kind of Saruman at the Scouring of the Shire kind of the way because his inclusion in the story is kind of "forced"* (and I mean that in a good way): he's the type of monster that can only rise to prominence as a result of the chaos created by the War of the Five Kings

Yeah I do like that as an idea, but the way they're setting it up is the equivalent of killing like Aragorn, Pippin, Faramir, and Treebeard during the confrontation with Saruman

As a "putting the pieces back together" kind of thing (which it does seem like GRRM is very interested in) it would be cool but if it actually goes down as described D&D will just turn it into another huge climactic set piece rather than part of the broader story's resolution

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
OST is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_Psg5mV4c

Think this is boatsex theme

It's gonna be an epic boatsex scene

edit:

This one is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeYNHwRswYU

White Walker theme + Hardhome

gives me the chills

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 25, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The final chord is proof that Lady Stoneheart returns in the finale.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao i just read those season 8 "leaks" and they are pretty fake my friends, unless it's HBO's plan is to take twitter and the whole of the internet offline forever next year. all the female characters become useless, ignoring what's come before. this sundays episode already contradicts some of the theon poo poo anyway, i mean sure the pregnancy is super obvious at this point but that whole varys thing with the sword, is that meant to be how lightbringer gets made but after the night king is defeated? what? is varys, azor ahai? and bran becoming night king 2 lmao that just seems to play on that whole dumb fan theory of bran already being the night king stuck in a warg. poo poo makes no sense. fire and wild fire does not kill dragons and there is gonna be a dragon in the dragon pit on sunday so lol okay. also jon and dany's kid would be a bastard and probably not on the throne. i guess we'll know for sure when the trailer hits?

its full of characters doing dumb poo poo and fanwankery and ignores a poo poo load of grrm themes but then again, having sam spend two seasons finding out poo poo stannis already told him and all the dumb poo poo they've done this season, lol why not, 2018 internet is gonna be hilarious.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 25, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

also jon and dany's kid would be a bastard and probably not on the throne

I agree with everything else and also think the spoilers are fake and bad, but now that we know Rhaegar actually married Lyanna Stark, Jon's a legitimate Targ, so a Jon/Dany child wouldn't be a bastard.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The season 8 leaks gaining momentum is a mix of them being dumb enough that after what we've seen this season sound totally plausible, being written in a format that resembles the real leaked outlines, and also goons hopewishing that this whole thing will end in a flaming ball of trash upsetting every showfan.

With that said, I'm in the hopewish boat cause Kelly C getting poo poo flinged at her would be the best payoff for enduring s5 onwards fanservice

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WampaLord posted:

I agree with everything else and also think the spoilers are fake and bad, but now that we know Rhaegar actually married Lyanna Stark, Jon's a legitimate Targ, so a Jon/Dany child wouldn't be a bastard.

It would unless Jon/Dany marry offscreen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

It would unless Jon/Dany marry offscreen.

I would assume if they found out Dany was pregnant and Jon was still alive, they'd get married to ensure the successor of the throne, given how heavy handed Tyrion was being about it earlier.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Lol I mean saying that the leaks are fake is one thing but saying they're fake because they do not adhere to the laws of succession established on the show is hilarious given that we already had Queen Cersei and Queen "Paramour to the old Prince's brother and their bastard daughters, whatever".

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 25, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNjkUduAlHI

This one is good too. If Nikolaj and Lena act good (which they usually do) and the scene is well directed (which lately usually isn't) in order to follow the music's beats this could be a really great scene.

Cersei revealing her plan to just leave everyone to die.

Jaime desperately trying to find any last reedemable quality on the woman he loves only to find nothing and be disgusted, finally deciding to leave.

Cersei going full on mad queen at the end, maybe even shouting and going :argh: "You'll regret this!" :argh: at Jaime's back.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I have been wanting Jaime to ditch Cersei ever since season 6
but yeah that theme is hopegiving, and I love any time they reference LightoftheSeven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao i just read those season 8 "leaks" and they are pretty fake my friends, unless it's HBO's plan is to take twitter and the whole of the internet offline forever next year. all the female characters become useless, ignoring what's come before. this sundays episode already contradicts some of the theon poo poo anyway, i mean sure the pregnancy is super obvious at this point but that whole varys thing with the sword, is that meant to be how lightbringer gets made but after the night king is defeated? what? is varys, azor ahai? and bran becoming night king 2 lmao that just seems to play on that whole dumb fan theory of bran already being the night king stuck in a warg. poo poo makes no sense. fire and wild fire does not kill dragons and there is gonna be a dragon in the dragon pit on sunday so lol okay. also jon and dany's kid would be a bastard and probably not on the throne. i guess we'll know for sure when the trailer hits?

its full of characters doing dumb poo poo and fanwankery and ignores a poo poo load of grrm themes but then again, having sam spend two seasons finding out poo poo stannis already told him and all the dumb poo poo they've done this season, lol why not, 2018 internet is gonna be hilarious.

If the oi writer chavs really nicked the ending from GRRM, then all that Azor Ahai stuff actually makes sense. GRRM's whole stick is that every culture has the same boring messiah myths and prophecies and that it's all just self-fulfilling bullshit and confirmation bias. Raeghar was Azor Ahai/The Prince that was promised until it was Stannis until it was Beric until it was Jon until it was Danny and so on. It's all bullshit and IRC Melisandre even realizes this to some extend but still uses the myths for her own purposes.

• Locked thread