Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Type 10 reveal when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Dabir posted:

Yeah the game is currently broken in such a way that you see everyone's interdications.

This is a feature, it looks cool and is hopefully accurate!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lmao

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Type 10 reveal when?

Probably some thargoid-fighting rootin-tootin cashsink for carebears. :clint:

I'm guessing we'll see it when the patch goes live. :shrug:

Less Fat Luke posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Edit: For gently caress's sake, 100 jumps away.

Obligatory: "Did you click 'fastest route?'"

chaosapiant posted:

Thinking it's new joystick time. I want to move on from my X52 into something a little more betterer. I've narrowed it down between the X56 Rhino, or the CH Pro throttle and fighterstick. I like CH's quality track record, but I also LOVE a joystick with twist to yaw. I also though about 1600000m thrustmaster, but don't like the way all the buttons are on the base of the joystick. I want as much control in my hands as possible. Even without twist to yaw I'm leaning towards CH. A penny for some good thoughts?

Having tried none of these except for the x52, which I've been playing with for a couple months now, I can't imagine switching away from the hat/button layout on the x52. Seems like the 56 would be the best option, the 1600 and CH don't seem to have the placement I like so much on the 52. Plus the saiteks look like the virtual cockpit!
:haw:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I got to take my mission Python out for a spin last night. Had a bunch of missions to kill 60 ships. It was great, went through about 6000 rounds of ammo for my MCs, so landed on a planet, took the SRV out and got some sulphur. Went back up and finished the missions. Made me almost 40 million for about 90 minutes of murdering. The shield is great, it only went down once. By the end, I was killing ships as they were coming into the conflict zone.

It's a great ship, enough internals for a full combat load out while still leaving room for a fuel scoop, SRV bay and 160t of cargo. 2 burst turrets and 3 large overcharged MCs were shredding even the cutters that came in, and I got the shield up to about 720. Goes >400m/s in boost and it juuuuussssst turns well enough to fight Vultures without too much trouble.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I also though about 1600000m thrustmaster, but don't like the way all the buttons are on the base of the joystick. I want as much control in my hands as possible.
I just fired up E:D for the first time in a couple of months yesterday in VR and all the buttons on the base of the joystick are. the. loving. worst. For some reason all my bindings were reset so I had the default setup and I remembered how bad it is to have functions bound to them. Even if I could see them, I have to choose to let go of my stick or throttle to blow chaff, open the cargo scoop, or put the landing gear down? Let's just say that taking my hands off the controls does not synergize well with my full-throttle-drifting-flip landing style.

It is a good stick though and feels nice and precise without the sloppy center position my HOTAS X had. I'm not a big fan of the forward only throttle either. It does have nice threaded holes in the bottom for mounting which is a big plus not having to bungee cord the controllers to chair arms. The workaround for losing the 12 (twelve!) buttons at the base of the stick is to use one of the hats on the throttle as a shift key then making chord button combinations. I only remap heatsink, chaff, hardpoint retract, landing gear and scoop but leave galaxy map, system map, game menu, reset HMD and ship lights on the base buttons. That means I only use one of the hat's one direction as a shift so I only lose one button there.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Obligatory: "Did you click 'fastest route?'"
Yeah but it was before I finally had the cash for a 5A FSD :)

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

CapnBry posted:

I just fired up E:D for the first time in a couple of months yesterday in VR and all the buttons on the base of the joystick are. the. loving. worst. For some reason all my bindings were reset so I had the default setup and I remembered how bad it is to have functions bound to them. Even if I could see them, I have to choose to let go of my stick or throttle to blow chaff, open the cargo scoop, or put the landing gear down? Let's just say that taking my hands off the controls does not synergize well with my full-throttle-drifting-flip landing style.

It is a good stick though and feels nice and precise without the sloppy center position my HOTAS X had. I'm not a big fan of the forward only throttle either. It does have nice threaded holes in the bottom for mounting which is a big plus not having to bungee cord the controllers to chair arms. The workaround for losing the 12 (twelve!) buttons at the base of the stick is to use one of the hats on the throttle as a shift key then making chord button combinations. I only remap heatsink, chaff, hardpoint retract, landing gear and scoop but leave galaxy map, system map, game menu, reset HMD and ship lights on the base buttons. That means I only use one of the hat's one direction as a shift so I only lose one button there.

A couple of pages back I got some help from a friendly goon on a nice setup for the T160000000000M. You should find it. It uses the two orange buttons on the thrust as shift modifiers and it works great for me.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

jubjub64 posted:

A couple of pages back I got some help from a friendly goon on a nice setup for the T160000000000M. You should find it. It uses the two orange buttons on the thrust as shift modifiers and it works great for me.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Does anyone else ever get these sort of controller resets? I remember it happened once when I was playing with just an xbone controller way back in the day. I know this time I plugged the hotas into a new USB port so maybe it thought it was a new device? It's pretty annoying because I had it all set up but now because I haven't played in a couple of months I can't even remember what was where. EDIT: Bindings Post

Lesson: Don't stop playing E:D?

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 24, 2017

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is there a good guide to poo poo that's been changed/added in each patch? I just started playing again and have no idea what all these mods, engineers, etc all mean.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is there a good guide to poo poo that's been changed/added in each patch? I just started playing again and have no idea what all these mods, engineers, etc all mean.

YouTube Obsidianant's videos, he goes over, in detail, every aspect of the game thru the different patches, and even has separate videos by platform.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Just picked this up; do folks recommend sticking with the default settings for KB+M? Feels a little weird to have Roll on the mouse and Yaw on the A & D keys, but I could see getting used to it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just picked this up; do folks recommend sticking with the default settings for KB+M? Feels a little weird to have Roll on the mouse and Yaw on the A & D keys, but I could see getting used to it.

Most of the ships yaw far slower than they pitch or roll, you aren't meant to be doing it a lot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ghost of Starman posted:

Get a HOTAS. The thrustmaster one for $40-50 new is just fine and feels much better and way more natural.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

haveblue posted:

Most of the ships yaw far slower than they pitch or roll, you aren't meant to be doing it a lot.

I bet you didn't unbind "jettison cargo" either.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

When I was using KB+M I swapped them around, put yaw on the mouse and roll on A & D.

It worked well for me.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I prefer Q/E for roll and A/D for lateral movement.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
QE for roll
AD for lateral
WS for pitch
Mouse for Yaw/Pitch
RF for Forward/Backwards
Shift/Control for Upwards/Downwards
X for 0% throttle
C for 50% throttle (max turning rate)
Space for 100% throttle
U for Hardpoints
V for Heatsink
B for Shield Booster
N for Chaff
[ for Target biggest threat
] for Next Target
Y for Target Subsystems
H for Target Subsystems (reverse order)

Then a whole bunch of other stuff because drat this uses a lot of binds, how do console users manage??

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ak Gara posted:

Then a whole bunch of other stuff because drat this uses a lot of binds, how do console users manage??

I think a couple buttons act as "shift keys" which basically double or triple the number of buttons on your controller I do the same with the HOTAS.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...is the Advanced Combat Tutorial supposed to be an absolute punch in the dick? Because I get torn up by the first ship (straight-up killed me 2nd time out), and then it warps in 2 (3?) more. :cry:

Like, I fully expect that I suck, but is this a matter of like "oh, yeah, you should divert some of your power from weapons/to shields right away" or is there nothing for it except learning to fly more better?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

...is the Advanced Combat Tutorial supposed to be an absolute punch in the dick? Because I get torn up by the first ship (straight-up killed me 2nd time out), and then it warps in 2 (3?) more. :cry:

Like, I fully expect that I suck, but is this a matter of like "oh, yeah, you should divert some of your power from weapons/to shields right away" or is there nothing for it except learning to fly more better?

I think the tutorial/challenge missions were designed before the big AI update that made NPCs significantly more difficult to deal with. They're doable if you know what you're doing, but they are a punch in the dick for a newbie. Don't worry about it - just concentrate on getting a handle on the controls, you'll pick up combat skills as you play.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Keeping up with the enemy, or are they just dealing way too much damage for you, or what? What's the ship loadout the mission gives you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ak Gara posted:

It lets you bind commands to pressing two buttons at once, and on PS4 the touchpad is divided into several different regions to make extra buttons. These are all the binds I can remember right now:

Left stick: thrust up/down/left/right
Right stick: Pitch and yaw
Click sticks: Roll
Click both sticks: Toggle look (motion controlled)
L1/R1: Throttle up and down
L1+R1: Throttle cut
L2/R2: Fire
Dpad: Power distribution
X: Target center
X+dpad right: Zoom radar out
X+dpad left: Zoom radar in
Square: Hardpoints
Square+dpad left or lower left touchpad: Left MFD
Square+dpad right or lower right touchpad: Right MFD
Square+dpad down: Station MFD
Square+dpad up: Comm MFD
O+dpad right: Photo mode
O+dpad down: Landing gear
O+dpad up: Cargo scoop
Triangle: Supercruise smart toggle
Triangle+dpad up: Next in route
Triangle+dpad down: Low wake
Upper left touchpad: Cycle fire group back
Upper right touchpad: Cycle fire group forward

On top of this there the separate bind sets for gear down and for driving the SRV.

There's some important commands missing (boost, target cycling) but I still have room to bind more or eliminate redundancies and bind even more.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 25, 2017

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Drake_263 posted:

I think the tutorial/challenge missions were designed before the big AI update that made NPCs significantly more difficult to deal with. They're doable if you know what you're doing, but they are a punch in the dick for a newbie. Don't worry about it - just concentrate on getting a handle on the controls, you'll pick up combat skills as you play.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Keeping up with the enemy, or are they just dealing way too much damage for you, or what? What's the ship loadout the mission gives you?

I'm honestly not even sure I know enough about how a combat is supposed to go to say what my trouble is. It seems to me that I have a really hard time keeping him in view; when I have him lined up I start overtaking him, and then when I throttle down I can't turn fast enough to keep up with him.

Loadout is a Sidewinder with a 2A shield generator, a Pulse Laser, 6 Seeker missiles & chaff. First enemy is an Eagle with some sort of turret; he can shoot me even when I'm behind him. The pair of enemies that come after him kill me too fast to even tell what they're in, but I can definitely say that they have missiles of some sort. :(

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Ghost of Starman posted:

I know a few KB/M users switch the roll and yaw, but it's down to personal preference really.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ghost of Starman posted:

The advanced combat tutorial is tough, don't worry about it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm honestly not even sure I know enough about how a combat is supposed to go to say what my trouble is. It seems to me that I have a really hard time keeping him in view; when I have him lined up I start overtaking him, and then when I throttle down I can't turn fast enough to keep up with him.

Loadout is a Sidewinder with a 2A shield generator, a Pulse Laser, 6 Seeker missiles & chaff. First enemy is an Eagle with some sort of turret; he can shoot me even when I'm behind him. The pair of enemies that come after him kill me too fast to even tell what they're in, but I can definitely say that they have missiles of some sort. :(

The advanced combat tutorial isn't a tutorial as much as it is a fun killer.

I spent my first 2 hours trying to do it before someone told me on here that they updated the AI and it's now very hard for a newbie and pretty hard for even a seasoned vet.

So skip it and play the game, you'll launch around in LS 3447 for a while getting used to the controls and hypercruise stuff..

Here's my pointers:
Start at the NAV beacon in systems. Scan the nav beacon (lock it and let it scan it), this will download system data. If you hang at the NAV beacon, ships will constantly warp in/move around This is perfect for learning how to scan/use the radar and get kills/bounties.
Look for guys with "WANTED" in their scan after you lock them and wait for someone else to attack them or they attack someone else. NPC police will show up to fight them.

Alternative:
Look for Resource Extraction Site [LOW] and follow the NPC police around shooting bad guys with "WANTED" after you scan them. You get money and learn how to fight. This is what I've been doing

There's a community goal up, this is great for cash as you do bounties like above but turn them into the designated station int he community goal and get massive payouts for helping after thursday, it'll take you years to get there in a basic sidewinder. But.. you can purchase a hauler and put a fuel scoop on it, use this to get around once you get a little cash (about 1 mill should do it) HAULER
Once you get there, just purchase or transfer your basic sidewinder or maybe fit a really cheap viper depending on you cash. Viper newbie
If you do the Community goal, PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE IT SAYS BOUNTY TURN IN LOCATION!! I lost 1 mill towards the goal by turning it into the wrong location.

There's a key bound to "SENSOR ZOOM", learn how to use this.. i've been playing for about 100 hours and I just figured out about it.. It really changed how my scan/fight combat worked.
Once you've gotten pissed off of trying to cargo scoop stuff in your hold, you might want to pick up some Collector Limpets, aftre you install the module you have to go to "Advanced Maintenance > Restock > then manually buy limpets into your cargo hold." Beware, Limpets will get NPC pirates to attack you at NAV beacons and LOW RES sites When they scan you and see you have cargo. I usually just fly around with no cargo and scoop cargo manually when there's no more targets close.

-Power Plants Let you fit modules but don't do anything about how fast your power drains when you boost/shoot
-Power Distributors are what make your boosting/shooting recharge faster.. Should always pick A rating for combat ships basically.
-Multicannons are pretty awesome.. It just sucks they run out of ammo.
-You can have no refinery and just mine stuff in space for materials for engineers. Get limpets for this and Don't target anything when you mine the asteroid or your limpet will just pick that one thing up and expire.
I kept running out of ammo on my vulture and it was pissing me off because the RES sites were spawning high bounty ships and hte police were steam rolling them.
-NAV beacons are safer than RES sites because of MASS LOCK. If you get in trouble, don't try to hyper cruise, lock the next system in your navigation panel and FSD to it. Unlike Hypercruise, FSD does not matter for ships nearby. But, close to a station/asteroid belt.. you're MASS LOCKED which means you cannot FSD out until you fly out of the mass locked area.

Here's helpful guides for future info, bookmark them:
Ultimate Guide To exploration
Traders Guide from sidewinder to anaconda
Mining Guide
Mining Ship Loadouts

Very Helpful websites, learn to use them:
Station finder This is where you go to find modules/items at stations near you. Not all stations sell the item/ship you want so type in what you need, what zone you'r ein and hit find and it'll tell you the closest.
Engineers This is the grind stuff to upgrade your base modules of your ship to push limits. I only have 2 engineers unlocked to level 3 and I realized I've filled my data slot. Anyways, in game doesn't explain what those data is used for very well and if you sign up and import your pilot to this site, it'll upload all your itmes and tell you what's relevant/not relevant to what you want to do next. Really good site.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 25, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

CapnBry posted:

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Does anyone else ever get these sort of controller resets? I remember it happened once when I was playing with just an xbone controller way back in the day. I know this time I plugged the hotas into a new USB port so maybe it thought it was a new device? It's pretty annoying because I had it all set up but now because I haven't played in a couple of months I can't even remember what was where. EDIT: Bindings Post

Lesson: Don't stop playing E:D?

This was my post, see below. this is what I used but I updated my top thumb button on the throttle to be fighter controls, it works great.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Here's without my comments.

Here's with my comments.

http://www.mcdee.net/elite/configs/fznzdt.binds for the file.

Lastly, I'm not showing Galaxy map controls, fighter controls, multicrew controls because I haven't had enough experience with them to know what's important to bind, you'll have to try different configurations for the galaxy map controls. I currently hate mine and in the middle of rebinding.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The advanced combat tutorial isn't a tutorial as much as it is a fun killer.

Yeah, I kind of figured that out after a few more tries (and after Drake mentioned that the tutorials may have been put together before the AI update). Seems like a pretty obnoxious oversight.

Anyways, thanks for the beginner tips; noodled around in the main game for a bit, and holy cow it does not hold your hand at all, does it? Just... "here's a galaxy; go nuts, kid." I did one short-hop delivery mission and now I'm suffering from total option paralysis.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 25, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I have been trying to the Kamadhine bounty CG but it turns out I only like bounty hunting when I'm at a hazrez. Nav point lurking, sensor signals that I get to after the 4 vultures have already won, and trying to catch and interdict anyone have all been unsatisfactory, Are there any better hot spots for these kinds of goals?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

vorebane posted:

I have been trying to the Kamadhine bounty CG but it turns out I only like bounty hunting when I'm at a hazrez. Nav point lurking, sensor signals that I get to after the 4 vultures have already won, and trying to catch and interdict anyone have all been unsatisfactory, Are there any better hot spots for these kinds of goals?

You can pop over a system to Lambayeque. The same faction control it and it has haz res and high res pretty close to the Navigation beacon.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Just finished reading the latest Elite novel. Whilst nice for expanding the fluff, I was hoping for more information on Thargoids.

There are two factions of Thargoids, Orisians and Klaxions. There's some kind of civil war going on and the Orisians are the ships we've encountered so far; they're hoping to use Humanity as a bullet shield to impede the Klaxions who are chasing them across space

That's literally the only part of the book I was interested in and it came towards the very end.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So how did they include CMDR Harry Potter in the story

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Yeah, I kind of figured that out after a few more tries (and after Drake mentioned that the tutorials may have been put together before the AI update). Seems like a pretty obnoxious oversight.

Anyways, thanks for the beginner tips; noodled around in the main game for a bit, and holy cow it does not hold your hand at all, does it? Just... "here's a galaxy; go nuts, kid." I did one short-hop delivery mission and now I'm suffering from total option paralysis.

Delivery missions are an easy, if boring, way of making money at the start of your career. Just do yourself a favor and double-check the 'distance to target' counter in the mission description; in particular, you'll want to avoid missions to stations like Hutton Orbital.

This is because some of the systems in your area are binary systems; you drop into the system at the larger of the two stars, while the station you're targeting actually orbits the secondary star. It's not any more difficult, but that usually means you'll end up sitting around fifteen minutes supercruising from one pair to the other.

If you want to try your hand at combat flight, I like to point people towards the LTT 15574 system - it's a decently rich industrial system near the starting area, with multiple gas giants with Resource Extraction Sites (ring systems to hunt pirates in) while the primary station in the system, Haxel Port, carries a solid selection of beginner-level ships like the Eagle, Viper MKIII, Diamondback Scout and Cobra MKIII for you to try. Approach one of the gas giants, pick something like a basic RES or LoRES (Low Intensity Resource Extraction Site), drop into the site, scan targets until you find a Wanted target. Take them out, their bounty gets added to your missions tab. Return to one of the stations in the system to turn in the bounty and get paid. Upgrade your ship, repeat, have fun.

Things to note:

* You can (and should, if you're unsure) wait until the cops in the zone engage your target. This gives the pirate something to shoot at besides you and you can actually be a sneaky bastard and only engage after they've been already weakened. You can killsteal from NPCs with impunity, but if you play in open, whichever player got the killing shot gets the bounty.

* RESes come in four flavors - Low Intensity Extraction Site (LoRES), regular Resource Extraction Sites (RES or mRES), High Intensity Extraction Sites (HiRES) and Hazardous Extraction Sites (HazRES) - Higher intensity RESes have more powerful pirates with higher bounties. HazRES have very powerful pirates, often in wings, and no cops whatsoever. Bring a friend and keep your eyes open, it's good money if you can handle it. (Better RESes also have better ores for mining, but you should wait until you're in a Type-6 or bigger ship to try that).

* Double-check that your target actually is Wanted (little indicator in the bottom left corner after you've scanned them) before engaging. If you shoot at somebody who isn't Wanted, you get the Wanted tag yourself and the cops will actively hunt your rear end down. Same goes for if your target was Wanted, but you opened fire before you'd actually scanned them. (You can also get Wanted if you miss your target and hit a cop or a bystander hard enough so, uh, don't do that.)

* If you become Wanted, get your rear end out of the system ASAP! Wanted status takes a while to expire, but is only system-wide - you can jump into a nearby system and do something else until it's safe to return and pay your fines. Being Wanted means cops and bounty hunter-type NPCs will actively try and kill you, and stations will refuse you docking permits if you get scanned before entry. It's less of a hassle to just wait somewhere else for a bit.

* Picking up a Kill Warrant Scanner and scanning your target with them (assign the scanner to a fire group, get in range, hold the scanner trigger for 10 sec) will add about 50% to their bounty value. If you intend to be actively bounty hunting, you should always carry a KWS. Don't bother with the A, B or C-grade scanners - they're exorbitantly expensive and power-hungry in exchange for a paltry boost in effective range. E-grade is the cheapest and takes the least power, D-grade is slightly lighter (this is important for agility and jump range) and has better range.

* Remember that when you shoot down a pirate, you don't get money - you get a bounty voucher that's worth x credits. You need to visit a friendly station in the system to actually exchange the voucher for credits. This is important because if you get shot down, all vouchers you haven't cashed in yet will be destroyed! Remember to return to cash in your vouchers every now and then - it sucks if you've built up half a mil in bounties and get yourself destroyed before you can cash them in.

* Lasers of your preferred flavor and multicannons pair well for a cheap and cheerful cookie cutter bounty hunter build to get you started. Lasers take down shields, multicannons chew through hulls, and the MCs also have plenty enough ammo capacity that you don't have to worry about rearming them after every fight. I tend to prefer fixed lasers and gimbaled multicannons, but everyone has their own preference. Feel free to experiment - you can always sell a piece of equipment back for its full purchase price, so you don't really lose anything for trying out different kit.

* Most importantly, have fun! Don't let us forum grogs get you discouraged with complaints about :frontear: - despite its issues, Elite is still an awesome game to explore, especially when you're new to it. Try out different things, fly different ships, and see if you find something that really tickles you - some people enjoy combat, others like to chillax with a bit of space trucking and rock fondling, others enjoy finding new pretty things out in the black. There's something for everyone. Me, I've made my goal to try every ship in the game!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My biggest issue with the game is the rewards structure. You can meander round the galaxy doing odd jobs for a pittance a time, or you can find out what the current moneyspinner is and make a hundred times as much. The risk you take or the amount of time required for a mission seems to have little effect on what you get paid.

I'd like to see a comprehensive rebalance of the missions - make it so that you can only take one mission at a time, the mission board will always give you something worth doing in the vein you like to do (so there's always trading/exploration/combat missions to choose from), you're always adequately compensated for risk and time, and something interesting and unexpected happens every mission.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drake_263 posted:

Delivery missions are an easy, if boring, way of making money at the start of your career. Just do yourself a favor and double-check the 'distance to target' counter in the mission description; in particular, you'll want to avoid missions to stations like Hutton Orbital.

This is because some of the systems in your area are binary systems; you drop into the system at the larger of the two stars, while the station you're targeting actually orbits the secondary star. It's not any more difficult, but that usually means you'll end up sitting around fifteen minutes supercruising from one pair to the other.

Isn't this a new feature of the 2.4 beta? In the stable/console game you only get the distance to the parent star in LY, you have to open the map if you want the flight time from the system entry point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a petition out for fans of Elite against Frontier.

quote:

We, a community of Elite Dangerous players, are making a call for a change of emphasis of project development towards faster correction of existing problems, expanding the game mechanics, more effective work of the QA-department and more open project development and informing the community about the current state of work.

This is so confusing, because everything they want, Frontier is already doing. Apparently nearly 500 dumbasses didn't get the memo, which is hilarious. Also, someone made a petition for a video game. I'm not sure this makes this more or less funny.

I think I should write a petition against my cat. She is too loud in the morning and I want her to change. How many of you would be stupid enough to sign my cat petition?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pussy protest

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

Isn't this a new feature of the 2.4 beta? In the stable/console game you only get the distance to the parent star in LY, you have to open the map if you want the flight time from the system entry point.

Did they go and remove that? It used to be a feature. As in, they added it somewhere around 1.2 or so, much to the complaints on the brown sea. It's been ages since I did long-range mission runs.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, uh, just got some materials (Articulation Motors, in this case) as a mission reward. Some quick Googling around indicates there's no way to store them (in case, say, some Engineer somewhere will ask me for them at some point in the future); is there really nothing to be done other than selling them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They removed commodities from all engineer recipes "until commodity storage is implemented" so don't worry about it.

• Locked thread