Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think you're 90% joking but geez if this thread devolves into yet another lovely internet community that talks about bitcoin I think I'm just done. Can you still ban yourself with those thread tags? I'm not saying this to try and shape anyone's behavior, seriously I'm not, just willingly giving this option to any forum user if they are sick of me this is guaranteed to make me go away forever. It's like everyone has mod power now, at least over my dumb rear end in this dumb thread.

I'm 100% joking and anyone investing in bitcoin is asking to go broke. But hey people talk about penny stocks and trade options on earnings gut feels ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Wow. It'd be pretty stupid to put less than $50K in, sounds like.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
In XIV to hold over the weekend, currently hoping cheeto in chief refrains from being off message until I can sell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope everything works out well for you GBTC goon. Remember when I got made fun of for buying NVDA a 117? Yeah, this thread is bad at stocks.

edit:
GBTC is a timebomb though. Seriously. It's trading at almost 100% valuation. I don't even know when to guess at selling, but I'd wager as soon as even a whisper of another crypto option comes up.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any risk of an exchange like Coinbase getting seized/shut down like what happened to Mt. Gox and BTC-E? That put me off bitcoin for a while, missing out on the biggest gains.

If you're worried about that, just buy them then move them to a personal wallet.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope everything works out well for you GBTC goon. Remember when I got made fun of for buying NVDA a 117? Yeah, this thread is bad at stocks.

edit:
GBTC is a timebomb though. Seriously. It's trading at almost 100% valuation. I don't even know when to guess at selling, but I'd wager as soon as even a whisper of another crypto option comes up.

No. It doesn't matter whether the stock you chose goes up or down. It only matters if your thesis was correct or not. Congratulations, you went all in on a gut shot straight draw and won. Doesn't make it the right play.

Just to make sure I wasn't misremembering, I went back and checked *why* you invested in NVDA. Unless you had some kind of thesis you kept to yourself, I'm pretty sure hype and gut feels was your thesis.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I keep hearing from the American right that stocks and investing are the key and a realistic option for the poors and working class to step into prosperity. Is this true?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

100% true, and it's a real crime the asset allocations some of these "poor" people have, what with their portfolios usually consisting of beater cars and a pantry of staple foods, rather than putting that money to work.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I keep hearing from the American right that stocks and investing are the key and a realistic option for the poors and working class to step into prosperity. Is this true?

Someone is bored!

I dunno about robinhood accounts, but what the poors really need are higher taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, soda and gasoline. Because they don't know whats good for themselves and need to immediately stop smoking, getting drunk, drinking empty calories, and driving to lovely jobs far away. Then they should be less fat and stinky, and they can get a job at starbucks (and bike to it) like nice decent people.

Also we need more marketing for lotteries, specifically targeting low-information demographics to buy more scratch tickets. Then we can take 10% of their money (90% to "overhead") and build a bigger school in their district, full of the same lovely low paid teachers and highly-paid administrators.

Financial literacy classes are bullshit though, don't need to teach kids about interest rates and usury and whatnot, like the expected return on DeVry student loans.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Please tell me CSIQ is not actually down 6% today simply because there is a loving eclipse

e: nm it's probably because Barclay's downgraded it

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Please tell me CSIQ is not actually down 6% today simply because there is a loving eclipse

e: nm it's probably because Barclay's downgraded it

That would have been pretty great if it was though. You could actually make a graph of % visible sun to it's performance today and send it to CNNMoney or something to see if they'll show it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ohgodwhat posted:

100% true, and it's a real crime the asset allocations some of these "poor" people have, what with their portfolios usually consisting of beater cars and a pantry of staple foods, rather than putting that money to work.

Baddog posted:

Someone is bored!

I dunno about robinhood accounts, but what the poors really need are higher taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, soda and gasoline. Because they don't know whats good for themselves and need to immediately stop smoking, getting drunk, drinking empty calories, and driving to lovely jobs far away. Then they should be less fat and stinky, and they can get a job at starbucks (and bike to it) like nice decent people.

Also we need more marketing for lotteries, specifically targeting low-information demographics to buy more scratch tickets. Then we can take 10% of their money (90% to "overhead") and build a bigger school in their district, full of the same lovely low paid teachers and highly-paid administrators.

Financial literacy classes are bullshit though, don't need to teach kids about interest rates and usury and whatnot, like the expected return on DeVry student loans.

These are surprisingly left leaning responses. When I ask on other sites (such as Neogaf) they tell me the opposite

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Redfin is volatile as hell. I don't know what to think (I have no position in RDFN).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I had a small position in XIV @73.50 held over the weekend, and Monday I set a stop loss at 74, which triggered at 9:33. Missed opportunity but if I had put a significant stake I'd be super pissed.

Bought some AMD $14 Jan 2018 calls Monday for cheap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Redfin is volatile as hell. I don't know what to think (I have no position in RDFN).
I have a small position in RDFN. If it were any bigger, I would probably have had a heart attack by now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How does Trump announcing a new invasion of Afghanistan not make my oil jump. I might as well invest in chicken.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Elephanthead posted:

How does Trump announcing a new invasion of Afghanistan not make my oil jump. I might as well invest in chicken.

Nobody believes him about anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder if professional traders are into this or just techbro libtards who think they're smarter than everyone because they built a pc when they were 16 and know about tor: https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-ethereum-bitcoin-cash-ripple-litecoin-price-analysis-august-22

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

That reads like a parody of empty "technical" jargon.

quote:

Ethereum broke out of the critical resistance of $323 on Monday, however, it could not sustain the rise and closed just below the resistance at $322.

:rolleyes:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Pretty sure technical analysis hocus pocus is self parodying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the detrend.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ohgodwhat posted:

Pretty sure technical analysis hocus pocus is self parodying.

I reallllllly want to lurk a TA steam market thread

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Is this where we are dropping TA wrt crypto? There is a lot of noise about day traders looking into crypto.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Please no crypto. Maybe make some other thread for that, this one is dumb enough as is

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ta works. Hth

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm unfamiliar with TA.

To what degree is it all just numbers regardless of what you're adding up?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Accretionist posted:

I'm unfamiliar with TA.

To what degree is it all just numbers regardless of what you're adding up?
All of it.

The only question is whether other people are also believers, in which case you can make money by trading against/with them.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I believe in it in the sense that enough people believe in it to make it true. Markets are just people. Even algorithms are just people, ultimately.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

RTNB over the past couple weeks.... crazy. yesterday especially, followed by the timely HALT with News Pending trapping hella ppl lmao. then of coures waiting until AH to un-halt and release the news.

today's morning rip was a gift to post-news knife catchers :pray: :homebrew:
anyone else trade this thing lately?!?! :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

carefiul.... TA don't go over too kindly round these parts :ninja:

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

best Stock Trading related stream on Twitter, hands-down:

Bag Holder
@BagholderQuotes
https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

speaking of @BagholderQuotes + $RTNB + TA lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jack Daniels posted:

speaking of @BagholderQuotes + $RTNB + TA lol

lmao

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I'm not sure the last time I've seen one of those TA plugs that was written by a human.

I can't count to three and hit a stop-loss ... doh. Made a few bucks trading XIV/UVXY yesterday, just kinda wishing I held off on trading one of em ... I'll probably wait out my time-out instead of doubling up.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

UVXY/TVIX + Time = :zoro:

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Jack Daniels posted:

BITCF quite a move(s) lately. but so goddamn sketchy :xd:

OTC :tinfoil: :shepicide: OTC

BITCF trading suspended by the SEC lol :clint:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Daniels posted:

BITCF trading suspended by the SEC lol :clint:
Yeah... think I'm gonna have to dump my GBTC tomorrow.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Soon there will be US regulated Bitcoin futures, swaps and options.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

GME :prepop: Fat dividend and a potential holiday season bounce from now-cheap PS4s and the coveted Nintendo products. It almost looks cheap now. Not buying any, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LLCoolJD posted:

GME :prepop: Fat dividend and a potential holiday season bounce from now-cheap PS4s and the coveted Nintendo products. It almost looks cheap now. Not buying any, though.

People are very clearly buying more games games digitally now. I've had decent results holding ATVI and NTDOY this year, but I'm not about to put money into a storefront I (as an avid games consumer) haven't used in almost a decade.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I see GME going to 0 in the long term, even if they're slightly underpriced (especially given this morning's action) in the short term. There are too many ways the holidays could go bad for them; most of their margin is in used game sales.