Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I think you should watch We Are What We Are.

This is a pro recommendation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I do have to say, and I'm not talking about a particular show in general so I don't feel I need to put a spoiler, but I am getting really tired of the "middle aged wife cheats on husband" trope. I swear I see that in almost every series I watch that has a middle aged couple in it. It feels sort of lazy that this is the anxiety of a middle class man they always go to.

I also get tired of how the portray high school girls. Its always the same stereotype it seems. I think the daughter in Atypical was done decently. That was a nice breath of fresh air.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always liked that Thomas Jane's kids on Hung were ugly.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They were annoying as hell too. But they were teenagers so that's how it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't mind fuckwad teenage characters at all and feel they're in short supply unless you need like a bully and his posse.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I always liked that Thomas Jane's kids on Hung were ugly.

And boy howdy were they ever! Distractingly so. Loved the show though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I guess that sounded mean. I should say they just looked like regular kids and not like weirdo clones popped out of Nick Studios.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Norsemen is great. Dry, almost Monty pythonish, comedy with set pieces that exceeds Vikings, and I couldn't help but think of Micheal Scott watching the chieftains brother

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I guess that sounded mean. I should say they just looked like regular kids and not like weirdo clones popped out of Nick Studios.

To be fair, in Hollywoodland that's just this side of deformed in an industrial accident.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alexander Payne is from Nebraska and loves casting weird looking mid-westerners in his projects.

Source: I am a weird looking mid-westerner

Caros
May 14, 2008

Despite poo poo reviews, the Netflix Death Note movie is actually kind of good. I think the biggest issue seems to be people who are wanting it to follow the original more religiously, which, if you've seen the Japanese movies is kind of a mistake anyways.

The funny thing is, for all the bitching about white washing, this is a film that very much needed american actors, because it is an american Death Note film. It feels less like the original and more like "What if the Death Note ended up in the hands of a couple of misfit high schoolers instead of an overachieving sociopath." A lot of the plans are more straightforward than those in the original, but it actually kind of makes sense in context because the american light isn't as obsessive as the japanese one. This means some of his plans are just plain dumb or impulsive, but be also has successes where the original would have failed with an overly complex plan. Sometimes winning a grudge match is better than a coup de main and all that.

Music and set design are very Adam Wingard (for better or for worse). It has it's flops (why does death note have a foot chase?) but even those mostly top off with interesting character moments.

If you liked the original I'd say give it a shot with the MST3K theme song in mind. If you took this as just 'a death note story' and removed the trappings like names that connect it directly to the original I suspect it'd be getting drat better reviews, which it really deserves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you've never seen Seven Psychopaths it's on Prime. And it absolutely holds up.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Death Note is a super fun bad movie. It's a stupid gory grindhouse flick with Chicago and Air Supply on the soundtrack, the actors ham it up, it's lit like a Cannon Groups film , there's a haunted mansion that looks like Tim Burton did the interior decorating, they basically don't care about the rules of the Death Note. There's a goddamn blooper reel during the end credits. As a riff-with-friends kind of film, I totally recommend it, I had a blast.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is The Crown any good? I watched a PBS documentary about Princess Diana last night and am now a royal family enthusiast™

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Death Note is catastrophically bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drunken officeparty posted:

Is The Crown any good? I watched a PBS documentary about Princess Diana last night and am now a royal family enthusiast™

It's ... well, it's just kind of there. It's very lavishly produced, and all the costumes and set dressings and the like are really quite extravagant. I don't think there's a weak link in the cast, either; Lithgow and Foy have been deservedly praised for their performances.

But the pace is absolutely maddening. There's an entire goddamn episode dedicated to nothing but the Great Smog of London, for example, and the episode about Queen Elizabeth II's coronation is just one slow, lingering shot after another for an entire hour. Elizabeth herself is really very poorly written--she basically gets bossed around by government officials, or she decides to do what they told her half an hour later, and beyond that she's an empty shell of a character--and a lot of the dialogue is trite.

It's not the worst thing to have on for some background noise, but it's not what I would call "compelling."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, The Crown looks great and has its moments but it's very slow and nobody will blame you for browsing your phone every now and then.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I enjoyed Death Note; I think if the manga didn't exist, it would be received much better, as there are some notable differences--Light is kind of dumb, L gets a bit emotional, and Ryuk seems to be actively evil. Despite those differences, L and Ryuk were pretty on point, and I thought it was hilarious that although the movie was kept relatively grounded for a film about a magical death god, they just casually drop an incredibly anime backstory for L involving child superdetectives in dialogue. Also I thought the music choice at the end was pretty funny.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i can't wait to watch death note during the hurricane

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

If you've never seen Seven Psychopaths it's on Prime. And it absolutely holds up.

That's been on there for ages. It's pretty much my favorite cast in a movie, ever. If you haven't seen it yet, fix that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Elizabeth herself is really very poorly written--she basically gets bossed around by government officials, or she decides to do what they told her half an hour later, and beyond that she's an empty shell of a character--and a lot of the dialogue is trite.

I wonder if that's meant to be a commentary on the role of the monarchy in the modern postcolonial era. Everyone around her makes all the important decisions, all she basically has to do is look good, carry a regal air and not make a fool of herself. In this series she's the textbook definition of a figurehead. Her self-deposed brother? uncle?
in Paris providing (hilarious) running commentary for the whole thing seems to indicate the writers are aware of all this. (Note that this isn't some smug brush-off of the dryness and slow pace, those are absolutely problems that could've been dealt with while still getting the theme across.)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's been on there for ages. It's pretty much my favorite cast in a movie, ever. If you haven't seen it yet, fix that.

It stars Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Tom Waits, and Christopher Walken. I enjoyed it too (and I usually don't like Colin Farrell but he's good in this). Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken are great in it. Tom Waits has a smaller role but I'm a huge fan so I take what I can get.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I didn't like it initially but once I realized what the show was actually about I really enjoyed it. It's not about the monarchy per se, or what it's like to live in that world. It's about a young, smart but typical young lady who is forced to essentially sacrifice herself to transform into a symbol rather than be a person. It's a slow motion suicide, a destruction of self, for a perceived greater good or necessity. The actress does a fantastic job of portraying this.

I went through a similar change of expectation for Better Call Saul - I really didn't like it the first time I watched season one, when I expected it to be a dramedy featuring that wacky lawyer from Breaking Bad. That's not what that show is and approaching the show on its own terms made it 100% more enjoyable.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Better call Saul has a Mike sub plot and that alone made me love it. Such a well written, well acted character.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How long into her life does it go?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How long into her life does it go?

Only the first season has been released, and it goes up through 1955. The idea is to cover roughly a decade per season; I believe the second season is supposed to go all the way to the Profumo Affair, and it drops in ... December, I want to say. I imagine they didn't want to do a full decade with the second season because they want to spend two full episodes jerking off over Churchill's death in 1965, because that's the kind of show it is sometimes.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

poparena posted:

Death Note is a super fun bad movie. It's a stupid gory grindhouse flick with Chicago and Air Supply on the soundtrack, the actors ham it up, it's lit like a Cannon Groups film , there's a haunted mansion that looks like Tim Burton did the interior decorating, they basically don't care about the rules of the Death Note. There's a goddamn blooper reel during the end credits. As a riff-with-friends kind of film, I totally recommend it, I had a blast.

I agree completely. It shows its hand pretty nakedly with the first practical effects shot; once you see that, you know the kind of film you're in for. I also appreciated how they handled Ryuk: part suit, part CGI, but always lit in just the right way to not make you notice the transition between the two much. I can't think of anyone better to cast for Ryuk than Willem Dafoe, either.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I enjoyed it. Watch it.

I'd say that it won a bunch of awards for a reason, but then I remembered that the Golden Globes named Mozart in the Jungle best tv comedy show, and I was like, uuhhhh, nevermind.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I saw Good Will Hunting on HBO go the other night and now I'm on a bit of a Matt Damon kick. Are there any good/kind of forgotten Damon movies out there in the streaming world? I've never seen "rainmaker" (which he started in before GWH) and I've found it to be well acted/cast but a bit plodding.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Death Note was never gonna be some masterpiece but I like how they pulled it off in the time they had.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I enjoyed Death Note. I'm no fan of anime though, so I went in with no prior knowledge or expectations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I saw Good Will Hunting on HBO go the other night and now I'm on a bit of a Matt Damon kick. Are there any good/kind of forgotten Damon movies out there in the streaming world? I've never seen "rainmaker" (which he started in before GWH) and I've found it to be well acted/cast but a bit plodding.

Talented Mr. Ripley was good, not sure if it's streaming anywhere though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
New Tick episodes up on Amazon!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Rounders is always overlooked and is packed full of character actors alongside Damon. It's on either Prime or Hulu, I forget which.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If you have access to Cinemax as well as HBO, The Informant! is a good, relatively low-profile Matt Damon film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was a bit of a spoiler at the time but Interstellar has a nice little surprise role in for Damon that isn't quite the same as what you're used to from him.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Some obvious Damon movies, not sure what you've seen and what's on streaming, but the Bourne movies and The Departed are good stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you have access to Cinemax as well as HBO, The Informant! is a good, relatively low-profile Matt Damon film.

The Informant! is top-tier Soderbergh.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

knows a black guy posted:

I enjoyed Death Note. I'm no fan of anime though, so I went in with no prior knowledge or expectations.

I can see it ruffling feathers if someone was going in with a 1:1 expectation of the source material. Light in the original manga is a straight laced top-tier student, but he's cold and somewhat sociopathic beyond that; Ryuk is simply there to answer Light's questions and doesn't goad him into trying out the Death Note; and so on. It's a different - but, crucially, not bad - take on the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Vermain posted:

I can see it ruffling feathers if someone was going in with a 1:1 expectation of the source material. Light in the original manga is a straight laced top-tier student, but he's cold and somewhat sociopathic beyond that; Ryuk is simply there to answer Light's questions and doesn't goad him into trying out the Death Note; and so on. It's a different - but, crucially, not bad - take on the concept.

Yeah they took most of the animeish poo poo out of it then go whole hog into child detectives trained alone from birth.

I liked how Lakeith Stanfield played L mostly by the book but with just a little bit more desperation. I thought that worked well.