Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Glumslinger posted:

For as bad as he is, Corey Booker recently introduced a bill to decriminalize weed at a federal level and to free everyone who is in jail for only weed charges and to wipe it from their records.

Really not looking forward to explaining to other white idiots who don't like Trump but are used to him that yes, it is worth the effort to vote for Cory Booker or Kamala Harris in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Mark Zuckerberg would never win a Democratic primary against literally anyone else who is going to run, loving Martin O'Malley could beat Zuckerberg in a primary, why do people believe he's going to win a Democratic primary? :psyduck:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lightning Knight posted:

Mark Zuckerberg would never win a Democratic primary against literally anyone else who is going to run, loving Martin O'Malley could beat Zuckerberg in a primary, why do people believe he's going to win a Democratic primary? :psyduck:
Trump broke people.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lightning Knight posted:

Two years ago I wouldn't have believed Trump could win a Republican primary and here we are

Not that I think Zuckerberg has a good chance of winning, just that I don't think we can write it off 100%.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Because Trump won the presidency and we are now living in the maximum stupid timeline.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Trump created a fear among pundits of making declarative statements about primaries

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TheScott2K posted:

Really not looking forward to explaining to other white idiots who don't like Trump but are used to him that yes, it is worth the effort to vote for Cory Booker or Kamala Harris in 2020.

I mean, Cory wouldn't be my choice in the primary, but I would vote for him if he got nominated. He is a good person, even if I strongly disagree with some of his policies

I actaully really like Harris, but thats probably the California thing

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pakled posted:

Two years ago I wouldn't have believed Trump could win a Republican primary and here we are

Not that I think Zuckerberg has a good chance of winning, just that I don't think we can write it off 100%.

This is stupid because it assumes that there's some mystical bullshit reason Trump won we can't understand.

Which isn't true. He won because he's a great con man who was willing to be very publicly racist.

Zuckerberg is a loving pasty nerd who has no meaningful public speaking skills, he'd get eaten alive in a primary.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

If people could use marijuana legally instead of alcohol for anxiety issues, it would be a hell of a lot healthier for them in my opinion. Not that "seeing a therapist and forming a plan that may include medication" isn't probably better than both, but realistically, trying to get access to a therapist while working a full time job is often a lot of heavy lifting.

American Healthcare is devolving to the point where cheap, dangerous substitutes for actual medicine are becoming commonplace. Like Chiropractors instead of DPTs, life coaches instead of nutritionists, no end of ridiculous supplements.

Even in the lower to upper middle class actual healthcare has just been replaced with pills.

Just off the top of my head, legal weed would help alleviate the burden of:

- opiate addiction
- cardiovascular/stress problems
- alcoholism
- probably severely decrease motor fatalities
- the myriad health problems associated with cigarette smoking
- a poo poo load of stress/mental health issues

and that's before the proven palliative effects like curing nausea from chemo etc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

This is stupid because it assumes that there's some mystical bullshit reason Trump won we can't understand.

Which isn't true. He won because he's a great con man who was willing to be very publicly racist.

Zuckerberg is a loving pasty nerd who has no meaningful public speaking skills, he'd get eaten alive in a primary.

Seriously. The two aren't comparable at all, even if they were both going into the same party's primary let alone Democrat vs Republican.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone even know what Zuckerberg's politics are?

I don't worry about him winning a primary, but I do worry about what Facebook as a platform could do to anyone running in a primary against him. It could get ugly enough to hurt some of the more legitimate candidates in the general.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The 2020 3rd party concept is a warning shot with absolutely no force behind it.

If Trump is bad for business, business will want to stop Trump. They'd rather do so with a pliant centrist Dem (of the extinct Lieberman type) so they're threatening a bipartisan Kasich ticket to try and rein in the Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party. As if anyone (outside of the click hungry media not playing the antiantiTrump game) is dumb enough to not realize the 3rd party run would mean giving the White House back to Trump while wasting billions of their own money.

Zuck gets press for the same reason that we had the constant stream of "Hillary 2020?! SHE'S NOT RULING IT OUT!" and "Does Chelsea see a future in politics?" stories. Because it gets hateclicks from all over the spectrum.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Glumslinger posted:

For as bad as he is, Corey Booker recently introduced a bill to decriminalize weed at a federal level and to free everyone who is in jail for only weed charges and to wipe it from their records.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1ea354d87a12

The only loving poo poo i hear bad about Booker is he is close with wall street, which is like all of our politicians anyway, so that's nearly a moot point. Otherwise the dude seems better than the avg bloodsucking politician.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Something I've noticed about outrage fatigue is that it goes away at weird times. This disturbs me in a way that Charlottesville didn't. Part of it is that I take for granted that we'll always have bigots among us. And another is that I work with climate change researchers. But really, I think it comes down to how absurd this is. It's ruining things just for the sake of ruining them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheScott2K posted:

Any Democrat who votes for John Kasich for President deserves to lose their healthcare.
For real. Kasich is every bit as far-right as Pence, but hides it better.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Benevolent Oligarchy, basically. Every billionaire thinks the only problem with Trump is that he's the wrong kind of rear end in a top hat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Start calling it worse things, like 'Death Weather', 'Killer Cloud Formations', etc..

"Freedom Weather!" :911:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The only loving poo poo i hear bad about Booker is he is close with wall street, which is like all of our politicians anyway, so that's nearly a moot point. Otherwise the dude seems better than the avg bloodsucking politician.

Oh, I meant charter schools

Get the gently caress out of here with Charter schools

But that too

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Now that it is increasingly known and provable that there is in fact a broadbased work sharing and collusive relationship between putin the American right wing propaganda machines, and several particular right wing robber barons, most specifically bob mercer, I will look to claim my Jeb Bush Go gently caress Yourself Award for achievement in the field of unwanted I told you sos.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Booker is a big pusher of charter schools, which is my number one problem with him.

Bicyclops posted:

I don't worry about him winning a primary, but I do worry about what Facebook as a platform could do to anyone running in a primary against him. It could get ugly enough to hurt some of the more legitimate candidates in the general.

He's the personification of vague platitude laden Silicon Valley corporate doublespeak, he's an awful kleptocrat who should be kept far away from political office, and he should be thoroughly opposed in any primary.

He's also so nerdy that I could give him a wedgie so lol at the idea of him winning a primary for either party.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He voted against importing cheap prescription drugs and only recanted when people called him out for it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

American Healthcare is devolving to the point where cheap, dangerous substitutes for actual medicine are becoming commonplace. Like Chiropractors instead of DPTs, life coaches instead of nutritionists, no end of ridiculous supplements.

Even in the lower to upper middle class actual healthcare has just been replaced with pills.

- opiate addiction
- alcoholism

and that's before the proven palliative effects like curing nausea from chemo etc

Yup. When I went to see a doctor about some debilitating shoulder pain I had about a year ago, he wrote "Try massage" and wrote me a prescription for some muscle relaxants. Marijuana obviously isn't a cure-all, but it's a drat good choice for people who face too many barriers to get actual treatment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is it true that Trump is only going after national monuments which became national monuments under Clinton and Obama?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

- opiate addiction
- alcoholism

Smoking weed is almost as bad for your lungs as smoking cigarettes. Edibles are a lot better.

But yes, I agree.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Yup. When I went to see a doctor about some debilitating shoulder pain I had about a year ago, he wrote "Try massage" and wrote me a prescription for some muscle relaxants. Marijuana obviously isn't a cure-all, but it's a drat good choice for people who face too many barriers to get actual treatment.

Jokes on you for not going to a physio in the first place

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Setting aside his lovely positions especially his association with charter school grifter, booker is a salesman. He oozes insincerity.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
^: If Cory Booker is actually trustworthy, then can someone explain to me why I keep insisting that he isn't?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He voted against one of two drug importation amendments this year (but for the other one, on the same day) and ~certain sources~ declared his stated reasoning for rejecting the one (safety) was actually just a lie because he's in the pocket of BigPharma. The attack would have more credibility if the totally safe and regulated program wasn't voted for by Lee, Cruz, and Paul.

The other big one is Charter Schools. I emphatically disagree with him on the subject, but can also recognize that he began this advocacy as Mayor of Newark-whose public schools were broadly miserable and wholly under the control of Chris Christie. Christie, shockingly, didn't give a single gently caress about urban schools in a city where he got less than 10% of the vote. It's one of the few circumstances nationally where one could make a feasible argument for charters (even if I disagree with it).

Harris, on the other hand, has a tendency to engage in facially bullshit grandstanding prosecutions to score political points and works across the aisle (Greg Abbott, everybody!) to do so. Section 230 is kind of a big deal, and trying to do away with it while hyping moral panic is pretty bad. She's still better than anyone with an 'R', and most of the critiques of her are overblown puritanical bullshit, but I take more issue with her than I do Booker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Randbrick posted:

Setting aside his lovely positions especially his association with charter school grifter, booker is a salesman. He oozes insincerity.

Mostly this. He's an ambulance chaser. Everything he does makes it look like he's only in it for the photo op.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Smoking weed is almost as bad for your lungs as smoking cigarettes. Edibles are a lot better.

But yes, I agree.

Cigarette smokers tend to smoke a lot more cigarettes than the number of weeds smoked by weed smokers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

Is it true that Trump is only going after national monuments which became national monuments under Clinton and Obama?

While I would bet that there's some personal interest there, local Republicans want to get into those monuments to stripmine the hell out of or build lovely suburbs on them so he's been getting pressure to remove them from day one. This isn't just a Trump thing, it's an rear end in a top hat Republican thing.

Oxxidation posted:

Mostly this. He's an ambulance chaser. Everything he does makes it look like he's only in it for the photo op.

Does he have any real appeal outside of the Democratic base? I never really hear anything favorable about him outside of hardcore Democrats.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paracaidas posted:

Harris, on the other hand, has a tendency to engage in facially bullshit grandstanding prosecutions to score political points and works across the aisle (Greg Abbott, everybody!) to do so. Section 230 is kind of a big deal, and trying to do away with it while hyping moral panic is pretty bad. She's still better than anyone with an 'R', and most of the critiques of her are overblown puritanical bullshit, but I take more issue with her than I do Booker.

Throwing parents in jail when their kids don't show up to school is loving :lol: and a real thing Kamala Harris did

Let's throw more blacks in jail! - a black woman

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/2dAmMuslim/status/900821960590053376

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pakled posted:

Zuckerberg has none of the charisma that Trump does. Like, Trump is a terrible public speaker, but he absolutely does have presence, and he clearly commands attention. Zuckerberg doesn't have that.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't totally write Zuckerberg off, but I don't think Trump really presages anything for the Zuck.

Really, Zuckerberg should run for Congress or something, or just throw his huge amount of money behind someone with actual political skill.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lightning Knight posted:

Exactly.

Voters always want a) someone to blame, and b) permission to openly and loudly hate a) without shame.

And there lies the unspoken flaw in the Southern Strategy that Trump (unthinkingly, just because he's a loud rear end in a top hat) exposed in the GOP primary. See, the whole idea of the Southern Strategy was to pander to race hate without admitting to race hate. The strategy was build on the fear that being too unabashedly racist would cost more votes than it gained, so you had to be sly about it and use coded language to rile up the racist right. But the GOP primary voters don't really want a nudge and a wink, they want to be loud and proud of their hate. They'll take diet hate if that's all that's on offer, but they were always on the verge of going over to whoever just said "gently caress it" and called Mexicans rapists, etc., etc.

From there... on second thought let's not rehash the general election again. :barf:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Throwing parents in jail when their kids don't show up to school is loving :lol: and a real thing Kamala Harris did

Let's throw more blacks in jail! - a black woman

I liked when she read a story about a parent lightheartedly telling her kid that if she was bad Harris would come and throw them all in jail in order to make her behave and Harris didn't think it was somewhat bad she was basically a Grimm's Fairly Tale villain.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Paracaidas posted:

He voted against one of two drug importation amendments this year (but for the other one, on the same day) and ~certain sources~ declared his stated reasoning for rejecting the one (safety) was actually just a lie because he's in the pocket of BigPharma. The attack would have more credibility if the totally safe and regulated program wasn't voted for by Lee, Cruz, and Paul.

The other big one is Charter Schools. I emphatically disagree with him on the subject, but can also recognize that he began this advocacy as Mayor of Newark-whose public schools were broadly miserable and wholly under the control of Chris Christie. Christie, shockingly, didn't give a single gently caress about urban schools in a city where he got less than 10% of the vote. It's one of the few circumstances nationally where one could make a feasible argument for charters (even if I disagree with it).

Ok, I did not know the charter schools poo poo, that is dumb as gently caress. Anytime "big pharma" gets demonized it gets my bullshit detector spinning up though. If he actually becomes a candidate i'll look into it more deeply, but even so it seems to be some negatives on a mostly positive dude. He's in the pocket of pharma and likely will make dumb calls on drug pricing, will not go after wall street hard (spoiler no one will), and might support charter schools which is really loving stupid. All in all given he seems to be at least kinda sorta genuine sometimes, has a lot of other good opinions on things, and is not a GOP vampire, I'm willing to give him a shot and not write him off now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"The only thing that upsets me about this situation is that adults are able to throw a tantrum and raise hell and get what they want by doing so. This is not how America is supposed to work."

I'm drat certain that's actually, EXACTLY how America is supposed to work. The Declaration of Independence was signed by a bunch of whiny, wealthy land-owners who didn't want to pay more taxes to their king.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

:itwaspoo:

I hope "turd reich" is a permanent nickname for the alt-right going forward.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ok, I did not know the charter schools poo poo, that is dumb as gently caress. Anytime "big pharma" gets demonized it gets my bullshit detector spinning up though. If he actually becomes a candidate i'll look into it more deeply, but even so it seems to be some negatives on a mostly positive dude. He's in the pocket of pharma and likely will make dumb calls on drug pricing, will not go after wall street hard (spoiler no one will), and might support charter schools which is really loving stupid. All in all given he seems to be at least kinda sorta genuine sometimes, has a lot of other good opinions on things, and is not a GOP vampire, I'm willing to give him a shot and not write him off now.

How about the Dems just push someone forward who isn't dogshit in any way?

Are they incapable of doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radish posted:

Does he have any real appeal outside of the Democratic base? I never really hear anything favorable about him outside of hardcore Democrats.

I'm not sure how aware people outside the Democratic base really are about Booker. He's not an unknown by any stretch, but until you start digging I think he just comes across as a young, charismatic, up-and-coming Democratic Senator. I could be wrong, though, maybe more people know his policy stances than I'm expecting.

Unless we're using "Democratic base" to mean "voters who are all-in for the Democratic establishment," in which case people outside the base would include Berniecrats and other left-wingers, who generally don't like Booker very much for being the corporate centrist Dem that he is.

• Locked thread