Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Got ya covered, mate. It went down pretty well over there.

I am completely fascinated by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Goddamn Particle posted:

The publisher of Handbook for Mortals - the latest angst-filled, love-triangle-centered teen fantasy crapfest - just got caught trying to game the New York Times bestseller list by buying up all the copies at bookstores. As in, call a bookstore, ask if they report sales figures to the Times, place phone order of say 29 books (30 gets flagged as a corporate buy and not counted), rinse and repeat.

You missed the part where no physical books exist, meaning the bookstore will not be able to fill the order and so the 'buyers' won't have to pay.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper. From the schadenfreude thread:

And an EW article, which includes someone positing the theory that Lani Seram is the author behind "My Immortal."

Edit:

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/900810136104697861

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Aug 25, 2017

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper. From the schadenfreude thread:

And an EW article, which includes someone positing the theory that Lani Seram is the author behind "My Immortal."

Edit:

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/900810136104697861

I love that just because she's Eye of Argon bad at writing she must be the My Immortal chick, like more than one person could not possibly be poo poo at writing (also My Immortal was almost definitely an elaborate parody, though it's never been completely confirmed). They're not even the same kind of poo poo writing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is the book itself crap? I haven't seen any excerpts.

Also I'm gonna do a Let's Read of the crazy shartball series.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Is the book itself crap? I haven't seen any excerpts.

Yup. Click through this tweet. There's a whole thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

That's bad but it is someone else writing about the manic pixie author.

The rest, however, is some tier D discount rack garbage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The My Immortal lady wouldn't have written this, because the My Immoral lady was writing an obvious parody the internet liked to pretend wasn't

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've gotta read it now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The_White_Crane posted:

The Circle of Magic books are loving awesome. Gotta palm my copies off on my niece when she's a bit older.

I never did get into the Circle of Magic series, but I did love all of her Alanna the Lioness books and the various spinoffs. I should really reread those sometime.

...but with that admittedly notable exception I'd say the point stands to some degree.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Circle of Magic was kinda funny given it focused on kids who had various themed magic powers (one had plant magic, one had clothes magic, one had storm magic and one had forge magic) which were considered inferior to the 'standard' magic of the setting which I don't think we ever actually learned much about at all for comparison. And it didn't matter cuz with proper use all of that magic could be broken as gently caress. Especially the clothes magic. Also the storm magic girl could use standard magic too anyway.

Then there's rock magic, dance magic, and a guy who got hit by lightning and got glass and lightning magic, and he doesn't know what the gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I bought what may be the first legitimate copy of Handbook for Mortals and I'm going to start a Let's Read thread in the Book Barn for it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I bought what may be the first legitimate copy of Handbook for Mortals and I'm going to start a Let's Read thread in the Book Barn for it.

Please link it here when you do -- I am mesmerized by this trainwreck. Would love to follow the thread.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

I never did get into the Circle of Magic series, but I did love all of her Alanna the Lioness books and the various spinoffs. I should really reread those sometime.

...but with that admittedly notable exception I'd say the point stands to some degree.

Didn't help that Circle starts out at a very low reading level and then ages up as the series progresses. I bailed on it pretty soon, too, but went back and reread it all when I found out one of the characters was gay in a later book. It was kind of fun because you could see how Peirce was avoiding a lot of the corners she wrote herself into with the standard Eurocentric fantasy world of Tortall.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I didn't like that because of how it interacted with the previous book - it really felt like 'my boyfriend turned out to be a murderer, so now I'm a lesbian because of that' which isn't exactly great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Please link it here when you do -- I am mesmerized by this trainwreck. Would love to follow the thread.

It has begun.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Awesome! Bookmarked.

And may whatever higher power you believe in be with you on this journey. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Awesome! Bookmarked.

And may whatever higher power you believe in be with you on this journey. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly.

It's started out at the same level of quality as a self-insert fanfic (in which the extensively described protagonist whose name is loving Zade yells at and berates her mom for trying to convince her not to move out) and I have no doubt that it will only get worse.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

the extensively described protagonist whose name is loving Zade

That's short for Scheharazade, of course.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

I didn't like that because of how it interacted with the previous book - it really felt like 'my boyfriend turned out to be a murderer, so now I'm a lesbian because of that' which isn't exactly great.

That's an interesting take, but not one I can really agree with. I think Daja just hero-worshiped arson dude; there wasn't anything romantic to it on her part.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Iron Rose posted:

The only real issue with those books was how often we had the main character get into some really sketchy sexual relationships. Alanna obviously getting together with the knight she was squiring for who was also the prince when she was 15/he was 19. Then the sequel series following a new character has her hook up with her 30+ year old mentor at 17ish. Then another sequel series has Alanna's daughter marry a crow.

It got a bit weird.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Zore posted:

Then another sequel series has Alanna's daughter marry a crow.

At least she finally got it right in the end.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

The only real issue with those books was how often we had the main character get into some really sketchy sexual relationships. Alanna obviously getting together with the knight she was squiring for who was also the prince when she was 15/he was 19. Then the sequel series following a new character has her hook up with her 30+ year old mentor at 17ish. Then another sequel series has Alanna's daughter marry a crow.

It got a bit weird.

Like I said, Peirce is fun to read on a meta-level because you can track how her politics and those of the genre as a whole shift over the 20 years she's been writing. I love it when friends who remember reading and loving the Alanna books get them for their own kids, and then have to confront all the white-savior junk and iffy sexual politics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zore posted:

It got a bit weird.

First part is skeevy but at least seems accurate for the setting, the second part makes me think that episode of Steven Universe where it turned out the protagonist of their favourite YA book series married her own familiar when he got turned into a handsome dude and the last half of the book described a ridic fancy wedding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

That's an interesting take, but not one I can really agree with. I think Daja just hero-worshiped arson dude; there wasn't anything romantic to it on her part.

At a bare minimum she was crushing on him hard

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Perhaps a slight... swelling sensation?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

At a bare minimum she was crushing on him hard

That's just not how I read it. It's all so sexless, and it's not like a girl can't have intense feelings about and admiration towards a man outside of a sexual/romantic sense, especially a young teen. Agree to disagree I guess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

the second part makes me think that episode of Steven Universe

That's an interesting place to go to.

:yikes:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The My Immortal lady wouldn't have written this, because the My Immoral lady was writing an obvious parody the internet liked to pretend wasn't

My Immortal was less a parody and more what I believe is called a 'trollfic': it was clearly written to try and fool as many people as possible into thinking it was legit. While it's true that there are plenty of terrible 'writers' out there posting away their messes with zero self awareness, they all have one shared quality: they're looking for praise and something to feed their ego. If My Immortal was legit, the 'writer' would have quit after two chapters, three at most, and likely one, because they would be furious that everyone was insulting them instead.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Wait... Were there really people who thought My Immortal was real?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Wait... Were there really people who thought My Immortal was real?

I did when it first came out (I think I found out about it on a site called GAFF- God Awful Fan Fiction), but after a while, it sunk even into my thick head that no sincere Suethor would go as far as she did while being criticized.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Wait, wasn't My Immortal written by a goon?

E: I was thinking about Half Life: Full life consequences.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cornwind Evil posted:

My Immortal was less a parody and more what I believe is called a 'trollfic': it was clearly written to try and fool as many people as possible into thinking it was legit.
At the very beginning, sure. But by Chapter 4 it gives up all pretense of plausibility. It's a parody through and through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's an interesting place to go to.

:yikes:

Try reading the rest of the post and you might find it's actually on topic! :cheeky:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

Try reading the rest of the post and you might find it's actually on topic! :cheeky:

Not the point.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

CommissarMega posted:

I did when it first came out (I think I found out about it on a site called GAFF- God Awful Fan Fiction), but after a while, it sunk even into my thick head that no sincere Suethor would go as far as she did while being criticized.

Good old GAFF, my gateway into horrible fanfic and sporking. There's another old site that is still up, "Bad Fanfic, No Biscuit!" that has some short example "trollfics" written as examples of what not to do/poking fun at bad fanfic tropes of ten-plus years ago.

I still can't see "Celebrian" written out without cringing a little.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I poked into one of those sites and it was a multi paragraph rant about a fanfic author having dared to have hermione like pepper jack cheese, and like, what the gently caress, is there some big JK Rowling retcon about how Hermione Only Likes Cheddar and that's how they found out she was being impersonated in book 8? Why the gently caress do you care about cheese?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

I poked into one of those sites and it was a multi paragraph rant about a fanfic author having dared to have hermione like pepper jack cheese, and like, what the gently caress, is there some big JK Rowling retcon about how Hermione Only Likes Cheddar and that's how they found out she was being impersonated in book 8? Why the gently caress do you care about cheese?

~ h e a d c a n o n ~

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Tunicate posted:

God help me but that rings a bell. Pepperjack cheese is an American product not available in the UK, so this became some sort of ur-example of an immature fanfic writer thinking 'hmnm I like [thing] and I like [character], so [character] should like [thing]!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ItsDisposable posted:

God help me but that rings a bell. Pepperjack cheese is an American product not available in the UK, so this became some sort of ur-example of an immature fanfic writer thinking 'hmnm I like [thing] and I like [character], so [character] should like [thing]!'

yes it is, it's just not very common