Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EdRush posted:

It has seemed for a long time like there are two balance teams, one that does considered tweaks on legitimately op/up heroes and accurately addresses why they are that way, and then there is this team. Butcher and Uther nerfs are understandable but why Chen, Auriel, Kerrigan, Xul, Illidan, Tassadar when almost all of them are so so niche already. The patch notes basically give no better reason for some of these other than "um this hero actually works well in this situation, so gently caress that, say bye to them".
Xul and Tassadar are definitely not niche.

Bursting light has been something many players have despised for a long time. Auriel's change was probably the best one in the patch.

The Kerrigan change was just to tone down her infernal shrines interaction. I don't think it was ever intended, it doesn't really surprise me tbh.

Chen and Illidan I have no real explanation for, especially Chen. My suspicion for Illidan is that the Hunt is something the devs believe is annoying to play against idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Bursting Light and The Hunt changes were both needed imo. Hunt at 60 seconds had basically zero cooldown, people were using it just to save a few seconds on lane rotations and that's just silly.

Kerrigan I really don't get, because I thought making heroes good in some situations and bad at others was something they were actively working toward. In a way Kerrigan was actually in a good place, although her niche was maybe a bit too narrow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

The Kerrigan change was just to tone down her infernal shrines interaction. I don't think it was ever intended, it doesn't really surprise me tbh.

Garrosh, sitting a booth over in the calm restaurant, hears this and chuckles quietly to himself, dons his cap and makes his exit

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

Explain the removal of friendly jump.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
There was a really cool video where a Kerri used friendly jump to follow a Falstad doing his global and everyone thought it was super neat and we're not allowed to have fun things so they got rid of it

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, I'd say its definitely because of the Falstad thing.

Maybe the same bug was causing a bigger issue with some upcoming hero, maybe they just got sick of trying to fix it, idk.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Explain the removal of friendly jump.

GenericOverusedName posted:

There was a really cool video where a Kerri used friendly jump to follow a Falstad doing his global and everyone thought it was super neat and we're not allowed to have fun things so they got rid of it
Again, this was never an intended feature and it is absolutely the sort of thing people would get good at and start pulling off consistently, it wasn't that difficult to do.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Naaaah it's been around since forever and no one ever did anything more with it than some silly youtube memes. If there was a real advantage to be gained it would have been mastered ages ago.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man, I don't complain about QM comps or get upset because I get that's part of the mode. Sometimes you get the stronger hand, sometimes you get the weaker one. I think this one I just had is about the worst I've ever seen, though. Morales, Diablo, Abathur, Garrosh, Kharazim, all solo queued.

It was over quick because we had no damage and Khara immediately dropped on top of that, so it wasn't even a waste of more than a few minutes. Just sort of impressive to see the matchmaker deal a hand that lovely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

Man, I don't complain about QM comps or get upset because I get that's part of the mode. Sometimes you get the stronger hand, sometimes you get the weaker one. I think this one I just had is about the worst I've ever seen, though. Morales, Diablo, Abathur, Garrosh, Kharazim, all solo queued.

It was over quick because we had no damage and Khara immediately dropped on top of that, so it wasn't even a waste of more than a few minutes. Just sort of impressive to see the matchmaker deal a hand that lovely.
These confuse me so much because there were probably a hundred all-assassin games going on at the same time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mind over Matter posted:

I had a match exactly like that but I thankfully had picked Tyrande as the second support in the mix with an Aba, Chen, Morales, and D.Va. Ended up rolling them despite them having a Varian that went DPS (laff) on top of a Valla, simply because yeah, Tyrande's aura rules.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Yeah, I had a Stukov/Brightwing/Abathur/Varian/Hammer (Abathur/Varian pair) against a 5-stack Valla/Auriel/Leoric/Murky/Malthael(?).

The only thing worse than complaining too much about getting the short straw in QM comp is the idiots who yell at the team that we're losing when you just have a poo poo comp. Aba/Varian (twin blades ofc) were bitching at the team because our zero assassins weren't focusing Auriel and losing teamfights when it was like lv12 vs 17.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That comp isn't that atrocious. My best game ever was Rexxar, Abathur, Stukov, Brightwing, and I got to play Greymane (it was glorious).

But your opponents not having double support like you did is weird.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

No Wave posted:

These confuse me so much because there were probably a hundred all-assassin games going on at the same time.

No loving kidding, it just seems a waste more than anything.

No Wave posted:

But your opponents not having double support like you did is weird.

I'm reasonably certain the rule is that if one side has one or more supports, the other side has to have one or more. Yoloqueue excluded of course. I don't believe it insists on doubles meeting doubles, and so on.

I've just had three terrible comps with Morales in a row. I just want to play my medic. :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's a very good chance you'd get to play her in UD. People would be happy to see you go support.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

No Wave posted:

There's a very good chance you'd get to play her in UD. People would be happy to see you go support.

I'm not generally big on drafting, but I think you're right whether I play Morales or not. Might be time to get away from QM for a bit, get something at least a little more organized.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I won't lie, if someone highlights Morales in HL I'm probably gonna hijack the main support slot just to keep him off it. Morales is so bad and playing with her is such a chore. She contributes nothing except healing, isn't even very good at it and has to B seemingly every 30 seconds.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gustav posted:

I won't lie, if someone highlights Morales in HL I'm probably gonna hijack the main support slot just to keep him off it. Morales is so bad and playing with her is such a chore. She contributes nothing except healing, isn't even very good at it and has to B seemingly every 30 seconds.

That is what we call a bad Lt. Morales player. That said, I won't argue that she is a bit one-trick at this time. I'm hopeful for her upcoming rework, but we'll see how it goes. I still love playing her, she's the character I got into HotS for and a ton of fun.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

If the morales is doing nothing except healing then they are very bad at playing morales.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

I had an Illidan in QM last night that seemed genuinely angry that I took gorge on Stitches outside of ranked They were pretty furious about a lot of things considering they quit contributing after losing the first tribute fight but that's the first time I've seen someone mad about the ultimate that makes getting picks easier? :confused:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TwoWordName posted:

Illidan in QM

This already told you everything you needed to know about that player.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Morales is so easy to counter. Just have things like AoE or dive and she will have a bad time. Like you can just have Sonya or Muradin sit on her all game and she won't be able to do jack. She only seems good as a last pick niche healer.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I saw a tweet go out that the rewards for cheering the HGC teams were able to be claimed, but I can't seem to figure out how. If I go to the page the individual cheer item says that I can claim it soon. Is there something I need to do to claim it?

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bamhand posted:

Morales is so easy to counter. Just have things like AoE or dive and she will have a bad time. Like you can just have Sonya or Muradin sit on her all game and she won't be able to do jack. She only seems good as a last pick niche healer.

MOCUS FORALES :byodood:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TwoWordName posted:

I had an Illidan in QM last night that seemed genuinely angry that I took gorge on Stitches outside of ranked They were pretty furious about a lot of things considering they quit contributing after losing the first tribute fight but that's the first time I've seen someone mad about the ultimate that makes getting picks easier? :confused:

A lot of guides recommend Bile so everyone thinks that is gospel and gorge is a niche pick. I generally see them opposite. Bile is a good pick when you need to peel or have situations that would let you get high value out of it.

Gorge on the other hand can be fantastic for picking enemies, interrupting ults, or just heavily disrupting team fights. Once you get 20, Hungry, Hungry Stitches makes it much better than Bile because of the damage and displacemental for their whole team.

I can see people hating Gorge because there are lots of bad Stitches out there who totally screw their team over with Gorge. Gorging someone who will likely die anyway is a waste and might delay or prevent an easy kill. Gorging someone like Uther or ETC with a PBAOE might kill your whole team. Most Stitches Hook + Gorge the first target they see regardless of whether it is a good idea. Gorging someone who you can't kill after the Gorge or who taking out of the fight doesn't make a significant impact on the outcome is a complete waste. So I get the hate for the ultimate because on a bad Stitches, it is a terrible pick that might kill your team.

I almost always take Gorge but don't Hook + Gorge unless I am 100% sure it is going to help me get them to a place where the team can isolate and kill them. Otherwise, I save it for interrupting and disrupting the team fight or peeling.

Fuzz posted:

This already told you everything you needed to know about that player.

Also this. He was probably pissed that you kept him from mindlessly hitting something.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gustav posted:

silly youtube memes

Thankfully, those are still possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_RB--QMWeY&t=152s

I'd go ahead and watch until the end as well, some top notch moments in there.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Why the gently caress do I get the warrior quest 3 times a loving week

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

badjohny posted:

I saw a tweet go out that the rewards for cheering the HGC teams were able to be claimed, but I can't seem to figure out how. If I go to the page the individual cheer item says that I can claim it soon. Is there something I need to do to claim it?

https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes/esports/hgc-2017

Then click on the mount.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

I've gotten just the "play support 3 times" and the "play 2 starcraft heroes" alternating continuously for the past 2 weeks. Then the other quest is either win 3 or play 8 alternating. It's getting a bit old now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AlmightyBob posted:

Because the quests you get aren't completely random, they are influenced by what characters you tend to play. If you never play support, it's very unlikely you'll get the support quest. Play nothing but StarCraft heroes? You'll see that play 2 games with StarCraft heroes quest more often.

I didn't know this until about a month ago, when a Blizzard employee responded to a certain post on Reddit. Apparently they are thinking about changing it, because it leads to "negative feedback loops". Personally I don't mind, because I mainly play QM with the random hero and I get a lot of 3 wins/8 games quests.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

thebardyspoon posted:

I've gotten just the "play support 3 times" and the "play 2 starcraft heroes" alternating continuously for the past 2 weeks. Then the other quest is either win 3 or play 8 alternating. It's getting a bit old now.

Same, except for the assassin quest. I can't stand being DPS in any game.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Explains why I get the play two games with a Diablo hero quest so much. I've got a ton of games sunk into Nazeebo and Kharazim.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh neat, thanks

Also just play ranked so you don't have to worry about specific quests :cool:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Unranked also lets you complete your quests with any kind of pick, and you get to ban OP stuff without losing your precious ranked MMR.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mierenneuker posted:

Because the quests you get aren't completely random, they are influenced by what characters you tend to play. If you never play support, it's very unlikely you'll get the support quest. Play nothing but StarCraft heroes? You'll see that play 2 games with StarCraft heroes quest more often.

I didn't know this until about a month ago, when a Blizzard employee responded to a certain post on Reddit. Apparently they are thinking about changing it, because it leads to "negative feedback loops". Personally I don't mind, because I mainly play QM with the random hero and I get a lot of 3 wins/8 games quests.

Oh drat, do I get assassin quests all the time, because I've been hammering out AI games with The Butcher for two weeks? It doesn't explain why it insists on throwing Starcraft quests at me, though.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The game wants you to play James "Jimmy" Raynor.
The game is your friend.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's the opposite of how it should work! I'm fine with playing pretty much whatever, usually trying to keep a quest slot open at a time. I didn't hate playing starcraft supports but I sure do now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I looked up the dev post I was referencing. Turns out it was from 2 weeks ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/6sugum/its_been_5_months_now_since_20_and_my_daily/

quote:

Sorry you're having difficulties with the daily quests. We've had a hard time reproducing the quests not clearing internally which has made it hard to fix, but continue to try and hopefully we'll sort it out soon.

For getting the same quests every day, that may be due to your playstyle. Once you get above a certain level, the system assumes that you've settled into playing the hero types you enjoy and tries to go with that by preferring to give you quests that require those types.

It's well-intentional, but created a potential feedback loop where players who only play games to complete daily quests can end up getting the same quests repeatedly because those are the only hero types they're playing. We'll be changing the system so that doesn't happen, but you can break out of the loop yourself in the meantime by playing games as different types of heroes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"Leoric, back off, you can't kill Malthael"

"Leoric, please"

*Leoric has died*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

"Leoric, back off, you can't kill Malthael"