Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That lovable wacky lane kiffin acquiring as many domestic abusers and rape enablers as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don't have any sort of conference solidarity so I usually cheer for whoever is playing a SEC team that isn't mine. Also have a soft spot for Wazzu, the Colorado State Fightin' Bobos, and probably a few others that I like to see pop up with a W.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I went to USF but dont know anything about their team, are they going to be good again this year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I went to USF but dont know anything about their team, are they going to be good again this year?

It's hard to say without knowing what kind of offense they're gonna be running with the new staff imo

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Conference solidarity is the stupidest thing. I want every other member of the big 12, especially OU, to get housed as often as possible, especially in bowl games.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

vyst posted:

TFF College Pick Em
Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.com/college-footb...oupp=Z29vbnM%3D

Group: TFF 2017 College Pick Em'
Password: goons

Did it as confidence this year

Ah dang, you beat me to it. I'm struggling to decide whether to join because I hate confidence picks but still want to be part of a TFF league. I'll probably join.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

That lovable wacky lane kiffin acquiring as many domestic abusers and rape enablers as possible

It's great. I hope he has a literal bail bondsman as a bagman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pick'ems aren't as fun when they're just for fun. I've been in a wager league for two and a half years now and have netted about $1000. The funny thing is, I don't know anyone else in the league except for my dad and his brother!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Neil Armbong posted:

Conference solidarity is the stupidest thing. I want every other member of the big 12, especially OU, to get housed as often as possible, especially in bowl games.

It's an underrated aspect to how college sports can work. Recruits buy into that poo poo hard. Bad SEC football programs recruit because they can tell kids "come play against Bama in front of 100,000". It works similarly in basketball for ACC teams, you just sell kids on playing against the best of the best in front of packed houses.

In both major revenue sports the more successful your conference is the better it is for your school. More bowls/NCAAT means more cash for your school. If your conference looks really good you can even swing a network deal which is serious money. I don't like a lot of ACC schools but if them winning doesn't affect VT I'm all for it because in the end it's usually to VT's benefit. I usually view those situations as win-win because either they win and the ACC looks better or they lose and I can revel in their misery.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

This is true, gently caress the rest of the Big XII, especially OU.

Maybe this is why the Big XII will cease to be a think in 8ish years.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Crotch Bat posted:

It's an underrated aspect to how college sports can work. Recruits buy into that poo poo hard. Bad SEC football programs recruit because they can tell kids "come play against Bama in front of 100,000". It works similarly in basketball for ACC teams, you just sell kids on playing against the best of the best in front of packed houses.

In both major revenue sports the more successful your conference is the better it is for your school. More bowls/NCAAT means more cash for your school. If your conference looks really good you can even swing a network deal which is serious money. I don't like a lot of ACC schools but if them winning doesn't affect VT I'm all for it because in the end it's usually to VT's benefit. I usually view those situations as win-win because either they win and the ACC looks better or they lose and I can revel in their misery.

nah, i'm not a creeper who cares about recruiting. conference pride/solidarity is dumb.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Neil Armbong posted:

Like it or not, as long as public perception affects what teams get into the playoff conference solidarity is important.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gently caress the B1G, I want Ohio St to go 0-12 every year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And Penn State goes 1-11. Sounds good :smug:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Neil Armbong posted:

nah, i'm not a creeper who cares about recruiting. conference pride/solidarity is dumb.

I kinda liked seeing all the ACC QBs get into the NFL and I made time to see how Kaaya, Trubisky, Watson et al play in the preseason.

It was cool to see so many of the opponents FSU faced move on professionally and show that growth on the next level.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Iowa is cool though

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Neil Armbong posted:

I just want my Texas teams to win. Except Baylor and SMU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Like it or not, as long as public perception affects what teams get into the playoff conference solidarity is important.

lol nah

pillsburysoldier posted:

Iowa is cool though

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

All "conference solidarity" means is who you're rooting for, which is literally one of the least important things in the world.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Iowa is cool though

Nah man

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The SEC huffing its own farts is very funny especially seeing as how their best program lost to the B1G and ACC two out of the last three years. Almost like they're "Very Good" and not "unbeatable" when the system isn't rigged for them

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bama only loses cuz other teams cheat so how is the system rigged for them?

??

!????

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Raku posted:

Bama only loses cuz other teams cheat so how is the system rigged for them?

??

!????

Bama had to use trick plays (which should be illegal) to keep it close with Clemson

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

pillsburysoldier posted:

Iowa is cool though

gently caress Iowa

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

Bama had to use trick plays (which should be illegal) to keep it close with Clemson

Trick plays rule and if you don't like them you don't like fun. :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is the one thing I grudgingly like about Bert. He loves him some trick plays, and often includes fat men running them.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Raku posted:

It's great. I hope he has a literal bail bondsman as a bagman.

do mid-majors have bag men?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

an adult beverage posted:

do mid-majors have bag men?

Yes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KKKLIP ART posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dabo isn't going anywhere for a while

quote:

Clemson: Dabo Swinney is expected to receive a significantly upgraded contract today when the schools compensation committee meets at 9am EST, Adam Rittenberg points out. Update: The board has approved his 6-year deal averaging $6.75 million per year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Seaniqua posted:

Ah dang, you beat me to it. I'm struggling to decide whether to join because I hate confidence picks but still want to be part of a TFF league. I'll probably join.

Can we please do this under Yahoo, against the spread like adults

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattMcCoyWTVN/status/901051754753781760

that sucks, Alzheimer's is awful

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

DJExile posted:

dabo isn't going anywhere for a while

The terms:

https://twitter.com/LarryWilliamsTI...080926456877057

Surprisingly cheap buyout not that it would matter on our end

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky, despite having a pretty good season last year, is falling short of its goals in season ticket sales. The Lexington newspaper solicited some comments:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article169301137.html

quote:

A sixth reason should be the obnoxious noise coming from the sound system. It is bad rap (not music) and way too loud.

quote:

But then came the RAP songs every time there was a time out or break in the play (which are many when you add in the TV Time Outs). Dont get me wrong, I love music, I was a DJ in College, and in a rock and roll band in High School. Just in the last few years Ive seen Peter Frampton, Chicago, REO, Cheap Trick, CSN, Moody Blues, Eric Clapton so Im not an old fuddy. But RAP every song! Mix it up a little!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahahaha

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Former Everything posted:

Kentucky, despite having a pretty good season last year, is falling short of its goals in season ticket sales. The Lexington newspaper solicited some comments:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article169301137.html

My mom is fond of saying the Moody Blues were old when she was in college

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sanford Stadium's (mis)use of rap at certain times actually makes me agree with the old farts.

(UGA stuffed on 3rd and short for the 5th straight aborted drive)
PANDA PANDA PANDA PANDA PANDA

Oh yeah, I'm very much motivated now as a fan, thanks

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

vyst posted:

TFF College Pick Em
Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.com/college-footb...oupp=Z29vbnM%3D

Group: TFF 2017 College Pick Em'
Password: goons

Did it as confidence this year

General Dog posted:

Can we please do this under Yahoo, against the spread like adults

Tell you what, I already created a TFF league on Yahoo against the spread without confidence points, so we might as well. I'll join the confidence league, too.

:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you want to join the against-the-spread TFF pick 'em league, I have to send you an invite, which requires that I have your e-mail. Post your e-mail here, PM it to me, or e-mail it to me. My e-mail address is splomax at gmail dot com.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Death to all Tiger teams and anyone not in the SEC. Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I hate all other SEC teams (except for a few from the West I'm just sort of apathetic about, since we never play them), but I don't mind the extra cash and extra credit we get for being in this league. It's possible to acknowledge that conference perception can do some good for your program without swinging into being a full-on solidarity homer. It's a fine line to toe, too, because if certain teams are netting your conference accolades and exposure but also cockblocking you from ever winning said conference, obviously those benefits start to disappear.

• Locked thread