Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Stockpiling crates means you never have to mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

YF-23 posted:

Probably easier to fish for titanium really.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Next game I'll stockpile crates in pre-Hardmode.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd rather mine than fish

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Go down to hell and dig up, stupid! (titanium spawns more often at deeper levels)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Go down to hell and dig up, stupid!

wow rude

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

Go down to hell and dig up, stupid! (titanium spawns more often at deeper levels)

I guess I don't understand what/where Hell is? I was told not to try to mine where the Wall of Flesh is, are you saying (yes rudely) that I should mine above there? Amazingly enough I wasn't born with Terraria knowledge and the wiki is not clear on this point.

Sorry but I'm new at this game and am trying to play it so I can finish it or at least get to Plantera.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lorini posted:

I guess I don't understand what/where Hell is? I was told not to try to mine where the Wall of Flesh is, are you saying (yes rudely) that I should mine above there? Amazingly enough I wasn't born with Terraria knowledge and the wiki is not clear on this point.

Sorry but I'm new at this game and am trying to play it so I can finish it or at least get to Plantera.

Hell is the area where the Wall of Flesh was, yes. You don't want to be digging down in the ash and lava and houses, but if you fly/grapple up to the ceiling there's regular stone up there where you can find deposits of the new metals. The advantage is twofold: not only are there more advanced metals deeper down, you've got this ready-made cut across the entire world that you can travel along to see exposed ore deposits instead of having to dig blindly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Yes you should mine right over the flaming pit region. Titanium/adamantite is mostly within 1 screen upwards from that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lorini posted:

Hell is absolute bottom where you fought the Wall of Flesh and the imps start appearing. If you're looking for hard mode Ore, find/make Spelunking potions and then go down to the area where there's lots of lava in the caves. You can probably afford to take a break and do a lot of fishing for crates anyway just to stockpile potions.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Also, hell is one of the safer biomes just after you start hardmode because it doesn't get any new, harder enemies until you kill a boss or two.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Again thanks everyone!! Gotta get the best armor to start working on the Mechanical guys.

I really really like the game, so much to learn!

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

Lorini posted:

Again thanks everyone!! Gotta get the best armor to start working on the Mechanical guys.

I really really like the game, so much to learn!

This is pretty much my favorite part of the game, it's pretty expansive and there's goals beyond the basic sandbox portion. I've been playing a couple years on and off and I feel like I'm always figuring out something new.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Having been beaten by The Destroyer five times in a row, I guess I'll see you guys in a couple of years.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Lorini posted:

Having been beaten by The Destroyer five times in a row, I guess I'll see you guys in a couple of years.

Hunt Hallowed Mimics, they drop an item called the Daedalus Stormbow which utterly chumps The Destroyer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's a very cinematic experience but not a very good or practical way to fight, because especially early on this lines up in such a way that he gets repeatedly smashed by the destroyer's head, which would kill most players at that point, and this affords few opportunities for open attack. He's also wearing post-Mech armor. So it looks cool, but it doesn't work that well.

If you really want to sleepwalk through the destroyer, get a Daedalus Bow from a Hallowed Mimic, craft some Holy Arrows, stand on a platform a decent height off the ground, and just rain death. He'll be dead in about 10 seconds no matter what other equipment you have.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Hunt Hallowed Mimics, they drop an item called the Daedalus Stormbow which utterly chumps The Destroyer.

This so much, the Stormbow will let you wipe all three of the mech bosses off the face of the map with ease. It's equally good with the Skull and even the Twins die to it.

Make a few stacks of Holy Arrows to go with it for extra fun.

Just make a long straight runway and stack on movement speed and archery gear, you'll be able to kill Destroyer several times in a night once you get the feel for it.

If you are having health issues for some reason, you can make a few suspicious eyes to summon the Eye. This should be a chump at this point, leave the clusters of hearts alone when it dies. Running over that spot is an instant emergency heal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Hallowed Mimic and the Rune Wizard are eating me for lunch, I think mostly because I don't recognize them in time and switch to my assault rifle. I'll work harder on killing the Hallowed Mimic for the Bow.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lorini posted:

My cheese strategy for my first destroyer kills was always to get a Megashark and ~4k crystal shots and then set up an arena of platforms about a full screen in height, then just dodge as he comes in and then pummel him with the crystal shot. Aim for where its body overlaps with itself for max penetration. Obviously get all the buff potions going as well (well fed, ironskin, etc.)

Easier to farm than hallowed mimics IMO because those things are quite rare and also no slouch themselves.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In a pinch, you can force-spawn hallowed mimics by crafting a light key with 15 light souls, cramming it (and nothing else) into a chest, then closing the chest. Makes it easier to prepare for the fight.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

The Hallowed Mimic and the Rune Wizard are eating me for lunch, I think mostly because I don't recognize them in time and switch to my assault rifle. I'll work harder on killing the Hallowed Mimic for the Bow.

You can manually generate those Mimics by making a key with Light or Dark souls, then putting it in a box. It'll turn the box into a mimic in an area you can set up for safe killing.
The same long runway you make for the Destroyer is a safe place to fight Mimics as you can easily run and dodge it. You can get a great grappling hook this way as well, the hallow/corruption hooks have amazing range.

If you are playing on Expert mode, the Eye's shield has an amazing dodge ability.

Also, summons can be your friend when you are having problems with things. Once you hit Hard Mode you can farm recluses for their fangs and craft a nice armor set, including a spider summon weapon.
This can let you focus on pure defense and observing the fight while the pets kill things, though they aren't too hot against the big bosses until you get the really powerful summons.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

In a pinch, you can force-spawn hallowed mimics by crafting a light key with 15 light souls, cramming it (and nothing else) into a chest, then closing the chest. Makes it easier to prepare for the fight.

I have a ton of light souls, I'll give that a shot.

HAHA me playing on Expert Mode, funniest thing I've heard all week :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks guys, Destroyer down. Now I need a Magic Quiver it seems. Any way to farm Skeleton Archers?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

That's a very cinematic experience but not a very good or practical way to fight, because especially early on this lines up in such a way that he gets repeatedly smashed by the destroyer's head, which would kill most players at that point, and this affords few opportunities for open attack. He's also wearing post-Mech armor. So it looks cool, but it doesn't work that well.
He also appears to have the time locked at midnight so he doesn't have dawn turn up and end the fight.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Thanks guys, Destroyer down. Now I need a Magic Quiver it seems. Any way to farm Skeleton Archers?

Just head down a bit, use a hunter potion to get a feel for their spawn range, but it's pretty wide. Avoid corrupted/hallowed areas to reduce the spawn pool.

You will farm the bastards for ever before one drops, then every other one will drop a quiver just to spite you.

PS, Start looking for parts for an Ankh Shield, it's probably the single most important item you can make once you hit Hard Mode.

Also, for non bosses, Onyx Blaster is amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kalas posted:

Also, for non bosses, Onyx Blaster is amazing.

With crystal or chlorophyte bullets it's pretty amazing against bosses, too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have a Megashark, is the Blaster better?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

Onyx Blaster has about double the damage output if it all hits and consumes about 1/3 as much ammo. It fires 4 bullets in a spread and one big exploding shot where you aim that does double damage and can hit multiple enemies. Megashark is more accurate but the Onyx Blaster is better crowd control. For best results use exploding, ichor, crystal, or chlorophyte ammo, as piercing ammo like meteor shot doesn't work well with shotguns.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

For the Megashark, you might want to try taking four full stacks of normal musket balls to a crystal ball (available from the Wizard) and crafting a bag of infinite musket balls.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

For the Megashark, you might want to try taking four full stacks of normal musket balls to a crystal ball (available from the Wizard) and crafting a bag of infinite musket balls.

I like the mod that lets you do that with all ammo.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Imagine a shot gun with a built in grenade launcher. That's the Onyx Blaster.
It has a hell of a knockback as well. Fairly easy to craft.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can't find the dark shards unfortunately :( I've farmed all through the desert.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

Can't find the dark shards unfortunately :( I've farmed all through the desert.

Stick a little crimstone or ebonstone in a bit of desert and come back at night later.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zereth posted:

This was awesome!!! Game became a lot easier, even without the blaster.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lorini posted:

This was awesome!!! Game became a lot easier, even without the blaster.
You'll still want to carry some better ammo for use against tough things/bosses, but if you keep the bag of infinite musket balls in the top ammo slot it'll use that. You're sacrificing a fair amount of DPS by using it over other ammo types, but you get the advantage that you can just fire your megashark literally all day without using up any resources.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

You'll still want to carry some better ammo for use against tough things/bosses, but if you keep the bag of infinite musket balls in the top ammo slot it'll use that. You're sacrificing a fair amount of DPS by using it over other ammo types, but you get the advantage that you can just fire your megashark literally all day without using up any resources.

I'm a fan of using party bullets instead. It's not quite free but it does a good bit more damage and provides a ton of light while only costing 50 silver a stack.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I'm a fan of using party bullets instead. It's not quite free but it does a good bit more damage and provides a ton of light while only costing 50 silver a stack.

Yeah the party bullets paired with the blaster is working great! 204 skeleton archers down and still no quiver :( I've gotten other drops that the wiki says have a .04 chance to drop but not that one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lorini posted:

Yeah the party bullets paired with the blaster is working great! 204 skeleton archers down and still no quiver :( I've gotten other drops that the wiki says have a .04 chance to drop but not that one.

good job now if you kill 46 more there's a 50% chance that you'll be in the group that got a quiver in the first 250 kills :unsmigghh:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

good job now if you kill 46 more there's a 50% chance that you'll be in the group that got a quiver in the first 250 kills :unsmigghh:

Ah so my expectations are too high!!! Got it now :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Lorini posted:

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Don't bring them down equally. Focus on one over the other, or you're in for a world of hurt. Also I'm sure this is a dumb question, but are you using buff potions? A heap of buffs can make all the difference in the world.