Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kinda like how germ overlay lets you see exactly where all the slime is, since that's where all the slime germs are.

Setting up wash stations coming into and out of the bathroom areas and the bedroom areas seems prudent. I guess that's why wash stations can be set to only trigger from one direction. Tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Set up one in the colony outside the airlock for when dupes are on the way back in?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo I completely forgot this update was yesterday. I was gonna waste my time with MMOs this weekend again, looks like plans have to be changed :getin:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dogen posted:

Set up one in the colony outside the airlock for when dupes are on the way back in?

That's risky because if a dupe is already washing, a 2nd one will run past. I'm thinking my base will be overrun soon. I don't have any geysers and I have to go into the slime biome to explore. Its a mess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use abyssalite veins to explore deep into toxic biomes already, looks like that'll be an even better idea now.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
The ruins have a different tile design. Can you build different-looking tiles out of different materials, or is this strictly an ~ancient alien technology~ ?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I stuck one wash station next to my toilet cleaning people who leave, and one in my mess cleaning people who enter. It seems to have worked, as long as I sterilize them every once in a while. I haven't had a germ problem, and nothing's so contagious that you have to wash every single time, there are low amounts of germs on lots of things and it hasn't done anything to my colony yet.

I found a ruin but I think I broke it. The door wanted a "sample" whatever that is so I started digging around it and somehow one of my dupes opened the door? but it's still fogged as "unknown" and I can't click on anything but the door and I get get my guys to enter so I'm not sure what to do.

Frankly, not a lot has changed and the base design I built last patch still works fine, except that rushing to hydroponics tiles no longer works because it won't grow any plants at all without water in the pipes, even if the plants (meal lice) don't use them.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I stuck one wash station next to my toilet cleaning people who leave, and one in my mess cleaning people who enter. It seems to have worked, as long as I sterilize them every once in a while. I haven't had a germ problem, and nothing's so contagious that you have to wash every single time, there are low amounts of germs on lots of things and it hasn't done anything to my colony yet.

I found a ruin but I think I broke it. The door wanted a "sample" whatever that is so I started digging around it and somehow one of my dupes opened the door? but it's still fogged as "unknown" and I can't click on anything but the door and I get get my guys to enter so I'm not sure what to do.

Frankly, not a lot has changed and the base design I built last patch still works fine, except that rushing to hydroponics tiles no longer works because it won't grow any plants at all without water in the pipes, even if the plants (meal lice) don't use them.

You can inspect the ruins machines and some have additional actions in their specific window.

The issue I see is dupes grabbing ore and spreading infection that way. Keeping dupes clean is easy with a wash basin. Keeping everything else clean is different. Especially once you breach the slime biome.

I'm using more door controls because its helps segment people from spreading dirty ore and stuff around.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What's kind of the "flow" or pace of this game? I like base building and survival, but Don't Starve never clicked with me because it felt pretty constant to be on the edge of death and never reaching a safe level. I was constantly running and trying to do stuff.

I kind of like the Factorio or Rimworld pace- you can get to a sort of uneasy equilibrium that can definitely be interrupted by events, but in a vacuum would be stable.

Not sure if that distinction makes sense but I always felt hurried by Don't Starve and am less interested if the developer is going for the same pace or style.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mechanical Ape posted:

The ruins have a different tile design. Can you build different-looking tiles out of different materials, or is this strictly an ~ancient alien technology~ ?
you've always been able to make them out of the various minerals. it's usually sandstone because that's what's abundant and easy to get to when starting.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What's kind of the "flow" or pace of this game? I like base building and survival, but Don't Starve never clicked with me because it felt pretty constant to be on the edge of death and never reaching a safe level. I was constantly running and trying to do stuff.

I kind of like the Factorio or Rimworld pace- you can get to a sort of uneasy equilibrium that can definitely be interrupted by events, but in a vacuum would be stable.

Not sure if that distinction makes sense but I always felt hurried by Don't Starve and am less interested if the developer is going for the same pace or style.
it's not as frantic as Don't Starve, but it's pretty easy to screw your base up in various ways, or have your dupes strand themselves/die because they've dug from the wrong side of a gap, etc

the flow is mostly the drive to find ways to keep your dupes alive and stress-free right now, as what's been playable thus far has been basic gameplay with no objectives beyond survival. I suppose we'll see what future updates will do w/r/t fleshing out gameplay

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 25, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Its really slow and chill. You can't directly do anything, so you always watch happens as it happens. There is no goal other than don't die. As long as there is food and air, you won't die.

I'm sure everyone plays it a little different. The challenge is when you want to start making more complicated bases and you have to solve problems you created. That's the real issue, decisions that you make impact the future. Not in a bad way but you have to undo or modify your base. It lends itself to iteration fairly well. I usually restart around 100 cycles and implement new ideas. Even when I intentionally do something dumb, my dupes won't outright die.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Elizabethan Error posted:

you've always been able to make them out of the various minerals. it's usually sandstone because that's what's abundant and easy to get to when starting.
That much I knew, but does the tile look different visually depending on what it's made of? I could have sworn I built some from obsidian and they were the same featureless white.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Don't Starve is a roguelike. You die and it's over (with some exceptions). It's meant to be a hardcore game.

ONI is not a roguelike. It's a colony simulator, not unlike, say, SimCity. Sure, you can screw up in a big way, but the game doesn't try to gently caress you over. When things start to go south, you get plenty of time to try to fix the problems before your guys start dying. There are threats but they aren't fatal.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mechanical Ape posted:

That much I knew, but does the tile look different visually depending on what it's made of? I could have sworn I built some from obsidian and they were the same featureless white.
I've no idea, i've not played into the update enough to do that, but it seems that Klei has started updating the tile textures.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Don't Starve is a roguelike. You die and it's over (with some exceptions). It's meant to be a hardcore game.

ONI is not a roguelike. It's a colony simulator, not unlike, say, SimCity. Sure, you can screw up in a big way, but the game doesn't try to gently caress you over. When things start to go south, you get plenty of time to try to fix the problems before your guys start dying. There are threats but they aren't fatal.

That's pretty much the best way you could describe it. I was hoping it was more "simulator" in some sense than roguelike.

I might check this out again, then!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also unlike a Roguelike you can make separate save files and reload if you really screw up. The auto save will always overwrote the previous auto save but you can make as many manual saves as you want.

That said, it is a bit harsher as a game than something like Sim City - it's more along the lines of Banished in terms of difficulty. Not brutally hard but long-term survival requires careful planning and good use of your resources.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's pretty much the best way you could describe it. I was hoping it was more "simulator" in some sense than roguelike.

I might check this out again, then!

It's kind of like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld; every guy you have at your command has upsides and downsides. And all of them have at least one job they won't/can't do at all.

When I first loaded up the new Outbreak game...for some reason I didn't pay attention and all of my starting duplicants had Gastrophobia. None of them could cook. Whoops!

Edit: also one thing I discovered about this game is that water has weight and if you dig underneath or next to a large body of water, if it's not shored up with tiles, it could drip through or fully crumble the dirt and flood your tunnels. It's a pain to reinforce a pool but it's better than losing all that water.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 25, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I played the new update and I gotta admit I'm not a big fan. The bottling system feels convoluted and makes water management more difficult. Specifically, I haven't been able to wrap my mind around why dupes can't suck water directly out of water sources using their magic guns anymore and instead need a bottler/unbottler. The only advantage I've found is that mousing over the water bottler tells you exactly how much water is left in that body of water, which was hard to tell previously.

And the germ system seems to make things more tedious without adding any appreciable level of depth to the game. Maybe that's because there are only a few diseases implemented so far.

I do like the new update timer on the main menu though. Hopefully Klei sticks to it. I might check out the game again in mid-October once they flesh out the new systems and add more content.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Yeah, the new update didn't really bring anything fun to the table.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I came back to the game and got a handle on germs pretty quick. Two toilets off in a corner, with two wash basins on the way out. Finally started messing with geysers, specifically a steam geyser. Ran into a new problem for me, temperature. My water pumps kept overheating and breaking, while the hot water started warming my base way too much.

Time to start again.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The one problem I have with germs is that once they start getting noticeable, they spiral out of control pretty quickly. One dupe gets sick and suddenly they all take turns at getting infected, overflowing toilets and vomiting next to your food processing facilities, spreading even more germs around and ensuring no one gets healed anytime soon.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like a lot of things in the game are cascade failures, though.

I’m worried that it seems drat buggy since they’ve had two hotfixes already

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How do power transformers work? I had three coal generators hooked together with Heavy Watt Wire, and that wire hooked into the top left plug of two different transformers. I then ran regular wire from the bottom right to my main grid that everything else was connected to, both wires to different spots. The heavy wire would flash between yellow and white and the regular wire would just stay yellow and I would get overloads everywhere.

Did I have to much stuff on the grid? Should I be separating the grids by location and have a transformer for each location?

Edit: Also, wires. Do wires behind doors still give a negative decor? If so, do wire bridges also do so?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How do power transformers work? I had three coal generators hooked together with Heavy Watt Wire, and that wire hooked into the top left plug of two different transformers. I then ran regular wire from the bottom right to my main grid that everything else was connected to, both wires to different spots. The heavy wire would flash between yellow and white and the regular wire would just stay yellow and I would get overloads everywhere.

Did I have to much stuff on the grid? Should I be separating the grids by location and have a transformer for each location?

Edit: Also, wires. Do wires behind doors still give a negative decor? If so, do wire bridges also do so?

Just from reading what you said, I can only suggest that you need a transformer per circuit (1kw).
Here's an example where I have a transformer for each building with heavy wire running between transformers.

Wires in tile give negative decor. Wire bridges give negative decor. The idea is you can't have it all, you have to produce positive decor somehow. Decor is blocked by tile and some doors. The above example shows this. Decor is calculated based on positive decor - negative decor. The total (positive or negative) is the overall score or stress effect.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did find out my problem, I had more than 1kw worth of machines in a circuit.

Your post says that wire in tile is negative decor but that tile also blocks negative. You mean that tile will block most everything except the wire that is inside of it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I came back to the game and got a handle on germs pretty quick. Two toilets off in a corner, with two wash basins on the way out. Finally started messing with geysers, specifically a steam geyser. Ran into a new problem for me, temperature. My water pumps kept overheating and breaking, while the hot water started warming my base way too much.

Time to start again.
The biggest thing to do is once you unlock insulated pipes, switch to them immediately. Insulate only the side of the geyser+pool that's facing your base and let the other absorb enough heat to not damage your pump (which you build with amalgam). Don't let the geyser water empty into a different storage pool because it'll heat up your whole place. Insulate the contaminated water pipes as well, because they all heat up the tiles around them. You can use the geyser water for lavatory and showers without problems, make it into air (when it gets converted the air comes out at 30c) and also with the new bottler you can use it for food creation as well. Water purification resets the water temp and you can gradually purify as a heat dump.

I keep re-making this general base layout and it keeps working well enough, Put your heat+electricity producing buildings in one place away from your living quarters and insulate those tiles when you can. grow your peppermint (which loves heat) nearby.

Sadly this asteroid didn't have NEARLY as many wheezeworts as my pre-patch game did (3 versus 8+) and so heat is currently spiraling out of control in this one as well. Sadly I can't give you an example of my longest-running stable base where everyone got spiffy clothes and was eating peppermint buns due to the save overwrite but here's the latest one slowly heating up

Also has an example of a heavy-watt backbone and transformer converters. The heavi-watt goes in a U shape from the power area down and across the storage pools and back up to the geyser. The only problematic area is the one to the right of the showers which needs to get re-made. "Hiding" your heavy-watt isn't hard, no one goes to the power area anyway, just keep the places it crosses travel corridors minimized using cable bridges. You'll want two different converters, one for your kitchen and one for everything else (lights, doors, whatever). I like to run the heavi-watt in a U shape (or inverted T), stack all my engines above each other and make the pools deep enough so the decor hit is below where everyone walks and so I don't have to manage electricity with my pumps+engines. That way there's only one wire snaking down across where people will walk.

Weirdly, I had zero issues with germs this game, they may have as well not existed. Two of my dupes got slimelung from standing around in bad air pockets and the convalescence was annoying but that's pretty much all the development I've seen in the last 2+ months (!!) so going to take a break from this game until I guess next year(?) or whenever they come out with some more things to do.

Also the light bugs kept vanishing, I have no idea if they got eaten or what. I hope they add creature wrangling at some point.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 28, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Your post says that wire in tile is negative decor but that tile also blocks negative. You mean that tile will block most everything except the wire that is inside of it?

Yes, the tile blocks decor but wire in tile isn't blocked.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Had everyone at 100% immunity on around cycle 30 but then it nose dived and I found out it was because my clean water cistern wasn't as clean as I'd liked. There doesn't appear to be a way to sterilize water either, so short of finding a new water source, this asteroid is hosed.

I tried running it through a water purifier but that did gently caress all. I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of setting up a water boiler and cooler either. Guess next time I'll have to try harder to not get polluted water/people in the tank.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lexorin posted:

Had everyone at 100% immunity on around cycle 30 but then it nose dived and I found out it was because my clean water cistern wasn't as clean as I'd liked. There doesn't appear to be a way to sterilize water either, so short of finding a new water source, this asteroid is hosed.

I tried running it through a water purifier but that did gently caress all. I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of setting up a water boiler and cooler either. Guess next time I'll have to try harder to not get polluted water/people in the tank.

Heat it up.You don't have to make steam.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

[Game Update] HOTFIX - 230103 (8/28/2017)
AUGUST 28 - KLEI_JAN
HOTFIX - 230103 (8/28/2017)

The following changes were made to make the beginning of the game easier to deal with disease, while keeping disease management a factor in later stages:
Significantly increased speed of disinfection
Made disinfection an automatic chore with an adjustable threshold in the disease overlay
Increase the speed of Food Poisoning germ die-off on buildings and ore
Increased the speed of using the wash basin
Improved messaging for disease management

Bugfixes:
Burying a dupe with food poisoning should no longer cause the game to crash
Using the liquid cooling fan should no longer cause a crash
Dupes should no longer forget to use flush toilet
Increased wash basin delivery priority
Refrigerator gauges should now work even without power

Faster disinfection is nice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fix Lag posted:

Yeah, the new update didn't really bring anything fun to the table.

There have been a few pretty savage reviews of the new expansion on YouTube from longtime proponents of the game

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Azhais posted:

There have been a few pretty savage reviews of the new expansion on YouTube from longtime proponents of the game

link?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The new update finally added a convenient way to boil polluted water (gold amalgam water coolers only overheat at 175 degrees) so it's automagically better than previous versions for me. Previously, boiling water involved either dripping water onto tepidizer or super fiddly battery heaters. I've so far almost completely avoided interacting with slimelung though, and food poisoning is easily ignored with a few well placed basins.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I don't know how people are avoiding slimelung. It covers my slime biome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

temple posted:

I don't know how people are avoiding slimelung. It covers my slime biome.

You don't have to avoid it completely. Breathing it is fine, as long as you allow dupes to spend time away from it to regenerate their immune system.

I found the green dots scary at first too, but it's really not a big deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
In other news, they still haven't added a mechanism to automatically turn off generators once their connected batteries reach a certain percentage, huh?

It works for the manual generator, but every other generator keeps chugging even after their batteries become full, which is super annoying as it wastes valuable fuel.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Also, apparently Klei has limited the total number of geysers per map to 5 in the new update.

For each map, you get 2 steam geysers, 2 natural gas geysers and 1 chlorine geyser.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Also, apparently Klei has limited the total number of geysers per map to 5 in the new update.

For each map, you get 2 steam geysers, 2 natural gas geysers and 1 chlorine geyser.
Yeah, that's bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I mean you can get by with that but if the placement is lovely that limitation sucks.