Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i've definitely seen stuff announced lately that's SD on bluray but it has a big, unique logo marking it as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Parallax posted:

i've definitely seen stuff announced lately that's SD on bluray but it has a big, unique logo marking it as such

If you're talking about the Eagle Rock music releases, don't they make a big deal about the audio being lossless?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i remembered what it was, its fist of the north star

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
AnimEigo's Kickstarter stuff has all been native HD content so far, minus the aforementioned live-action bits from Otaku no Video, but even those are actually upscaled. Discotek, however, has released a couple of SD-on-BD discs and has several more on the way. They're still a pretty small label though, so it's still probably easy for them to fly under the radar, assuming that rule is even in effect still.

OZC fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 22, 2017

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Parallax posted:

I have a bluray of the making of Dark Side of the Moon which is labelled as Bluray SD, but the video track is obviously 480i->deinterlaced->upscaled to 720p :psyduck:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Vinegar Syndrome announced their October lineup.

quote:

First up, Charles Philip Moore's Evil Dead inspired and Fulci-esque DEMON WIND makes its DVD and Blu-ray debut in an all new and extremely colorful 2k restoration, and filled with extra features, plus for a limited edition VinegarSyndrome.com exclusive, we recreated the original lenticular cover!!!

Fabrice Zaphiratos' almost indescribably insane arthouse slasher, BLOOD BEAT, is making its DVD and Blu-ray debut, fully restored from its original negative!

One of the few hardcore features to also quality as a slasher, Roberta Findlay's A WOMAN'S TORMENT makes its DVD and Blu-ray debut, newly restored from its original negative and features its unseen and extended R rated version!

After a lengthy search, Ted Mikels finally located film elements for his 1971 classic, THE CORPSE GRINDERS, and we're honored to be bringing it to Blu-ray. This special edition includes archival interviews with Ted as well as a new historical commentary with his friend, filmmaker Elijah Drenner.

Finally, a double dose of Roberta Findlay's 80s horror work featuring devil worshiping priests in PRIME EVIL and vengeful ghosts in LURKERS, both of which are making their Blu-ray debuts restored from their original negatives!

October preorders will be available on our site later this week. THREE of the releases will come with limited edition slipcovers, exclusive to VinegarSyndrome.com: DEMON WIND (lenticular slip), BLOOD BEAT and THE CORPSE GRINDERS!

And they're teasing an announcement for "the biggest release we've ever done" on Friday, with a special edition release slated for Black Friday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Does the Twin Peaks Blu have the standard definition inserts? I’ve been watching it on Netflix and it switches to bad quality video any time an effect comes up. More obvious when it’s between shots clearly remastered from film. Did they re-do them for the Blu?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Egbert Souse posted:

Does the Twin Peaks Blu have the standard definition inserts? I’ve been watching it on Netflix and it switches to bad quality video any time an effect comes up. More obvious when it’s between shots clearly remastered from film. Did they re-do them for the Blu?

That's really strange. They've always handled things very strangely. I remember when the DVDs were first released, it they didn't include the first episode due to rights issues. The company that had the rights wouldn't even release it on DVD. I just had to burn myself a copy of the episode.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FYI there is an international version of the Twin Peaks Blu Ray set that you can get around $30 in the US on Amazon. It's repackaged into a standard case, which is a shame because the original packaging was pretty neat. But hey, it's way way cheaper.

I don't know about the effects shots because I haven't watched the episodes yet. If you could point me to a scene I'll check it out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

I haven't noticed this at all on the Blu Ray and I'm 13 episodes in.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've noticed it mainly when they were doing effects that were mastered on video. The only other time I noticed it was one specific shot in the middle of an episode (with Audrey in the Library with Windom Earle, and best I could guess is that the original film was lost forever/irreparably damaged and just did the best they could.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the effects were done in SD and nobody has yet gone back to re-do them Next Generation style

which is fine honestly

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I figured they either couldn't sufficiently re-create shots in HD or the source film was missing. It's random, though. There's shots that simply have the speed slowed down that are video-based, while other slowed-down shots from film. There's one significant CGI shot in an episode that seems to be re-done in HD, while shots that just used mattes and multiple exposures were upscaled. More reason to be happy that video-based editing of shot-on-film shows didn't come sooner.

StudioCanal UK is releasing two box sets. One for Luis Bunuel films and another for Jean-Pierre Melville.

The Bunuel set includes Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de Jour (new 4K restoration), The Milky Way, Tristana, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire. While there's US Blu-rays for Belle de Jour (Criterion) and Tristana (Cohen), the rest were released by Criterion DVD, but have been long OOP. Coming out Oct. 23

The Melville set has Bob le Flambeur, Leon Morin: Priest, Army of Shadows, Le cercle rouge, and Un flic. Criterion's Blus of Leon Morin, Army, and Rouge are all OOP. Coming out Dec 6.

Each set is about $90 USD on Amazon UK right now, which is a steal considering the OOP Criterions are going for that much each.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Replaced my old 2007 copy of Total Recall with the new one. Difference is night and day. The next one I want to replace is Highlander.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Considering how intentionally lo-fi the effects get during The Return, would anyone want to go back and re-do the effects in the original Peaks, though?

Pre-orders for the 40th anniversary Suspiria steel book just went up! Two BDs, one soundtrack CD. About $50. No release date other than "November."

http://synapse-films.com/dvds/suspiria-40th-anniversary-limited-edition-steelbook/

quote:

Features

Limited edition of only 6000 units produced
Exclusive Steelbook packaging and collector's o-card sleeve, featuring artwork from Malleus, Van Orton Design, Juan José Saldarriaga & Chris MacGibbon
Three disc [Two Blu-rays + One CD] limited collector’s edition (only 6000 units) containing a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96 Khz/24-bit audio
Italian 5.1 surround sound mix
Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle & Troy Howarth
Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
Suzy in Nazi Germany – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
Olga’s Story – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
Special Collector Edition Booklet containing an American Cinematographer interview with Luciano Tovoli, liner notes by Derek Botelho and restoration notes by Vincent Pereira & Don May, Jr. Cover artwork by Matthew Therrien Illustration
“International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from U.S. release version
Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
Newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles for the English language version
Newly translated, removable English subtitles for the Italian language version
Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 25, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boinks posted:

Replaced my old 2007 copy of Total Recall with the new one. Difference is night and day. The next one I want to replace is Highlander.

I have a feeling Highlander is always going to look terrible. Half the movie looks like it was shot on high-grain 8mm.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Pre-orders for the 40th anniversary Suspiria steel book just went up! Two BDs, one soundtrack CD. About $50. No release date other than "November."

http://synapse-films.com/dvds/suspiria-40th-anniversary-limited-edition-steelbook/

Thanks! Since I've given up my Facebook, I was worried if I'd miss the preorder for this. Absolutely cannot wait for this. I still break out my Anchor Bay DVD yearly.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don't know if anyone else was following this, but German company Cinespectral was planning on releasing limited sets for Elvira Mistress of the Dark and Hell Comes to Frog Town. Unfortunately, a series of mishaps has led to the sets to be delayed indefinitely. They mentioned that some other German company may pick up the slack, but right now it doesn't look too good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone seen the Suspiria print yet? It's a fair chunk of change to drop on a film that's had some iffy releases before. Isn't there a new 35mm print that was discovered since work started on this too? I hope it's great, it's a stunning looking film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Isn't Arrow also doing a Suspiria release or am I misremembering? Trying to decide if I should preorder this.

wow there's a big change in coloring on the synapse

e: unless i missed an article I answered my own question and synapse is the only one doing a release right now. Earlier this year a german company released a version in a leather book case and it's gorgeous as gently caress.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 25, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopefully that's a good thing as the color timing has always been bad for it apparently.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's the big Vinegar Syndrome announcement.

quote:

We are incredibly excited to announce that we’ve acquired the rights to Slava Tsukerman’s new wave, sci-fi masterpiece, LIQUID SKY, and it will be making its worldwide Blu-ray debut during our Black Friday sale (November 24th), EXCLUSIVELY on VinegarSyndrome.com in a special limited edition package!

The release will feature an all new, director and cinematographer approved, 4k restoration from the original camera negative, along side loads of extra features, among them interviews with director Tsukerman, star Anne Carlisle, cinematographer Yuri Neyman, production designer Marina Levikova, among others. Plus never before seen outtakes and production stills, and more!

Although the limited edition will formally go on sale during our annual Black Friday weekend mega-sale, and as such won’t have a normal pre-order period, we will be offering a ‘flash pre-order’ during one 24-hour period in September (exact date TBD), during which you’ll be able to not only to order LIQUID SKY, but also reserve copies of our other two surprise Black Friday releases and, while we’re not gonna divulge the titles, we can say that they’re both uniquely perverse horror gems that have been requested from us many-many times. For this special ‘flash pre-order,’ we will require payment upfront due to the limited nature of the releases.

More info on LIQUID SKY and the flash pre-order will follow in the next week or so.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Synapse transfer for Suspiria is from the original Italian negative. Speaking of, it looks like Synapse is doing some 4K screenings of their restoration.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have never heard of Liquid Sky. It sounds really interesting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I have never heard of Liquid Sky. It sounds really interesting.

:same:

Here's to hoping it's included in my half-way pre-order package!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Liquid Sky is good as hell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy crap Vinegar Syndrome has a 2k release of Deathrow Gameshow.

Well guess I'll be hitting them up next sale. I really liked the release of The Undertaker they did.

e:haha you can pay extra and have them ship your blus to you in a film canister.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Holy crap Vinegar Syndrome has a 2k release of Deathrow Gameshow.

Well guess I'll be hitting them up next sale. I really liked the release of The Undertaker they did.

e:haha you can pay extra and have them ship your blus to you in a film canister.

Vinegar Syndrome is pretty great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is pretty great.

I've never looked through their catalog and The Undertaker had it's own webpage when I ordered it. I can't wait for the next VS sale now.

e: i had planned to back when I bought The Undertaker, I must have got distracted by criterion and arrow video sales.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 25, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Here's the big Vinegar Syndrome announcement.

Is there only going to be a SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION!!!!!!!!! or will they also have some standard release that you can buy whenever?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Is there only going to be a SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION!!!!!!!!! or will they also have some standard release that you can buy whenever?

I'd guess only special limited edition. That's what they usually do for titles they release on Black Friday.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

About drat time. I've been waiting for this since 2013.

Hopefully we get Opera this year as well

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Physical media will never die.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

wow there's a big change in coloring on the synapse

e: unless i missed an article I answered my own question and synapse is the only one doing a release right now. Earlier this year a german company released a version in a leather book case and it's gorgeous as gently caress.

I believe the top image is from the German/Italian edition (they're identical) that TLEFilms worked on. Let's just say that Synapse and TLEFilms have some major disagreements about how Suspiria is supposed to look...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'd guess only special limited edition. That's what they usually do for titles they release on Black Friday.

Jack Frost was their last BF release, wasn't it? I think there was a lenticular slipcase and non-lenticular regular packaging edition, no variance on featurettes or anything

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I, Butthole posted:

Jack Frost was their last BF release, wasn't it? I think there was a lenticular slipcase and non-lenticular regular packaging edition, no variance on featurettes or anything

Joe Spinell's The Undertaker and some Joe Sarno movie if I remember right. I want to say they were limited to 2,500 or 5,000 copies each.

But sometimes it's hard to tell what's going to be a limited release and what's only going to have a limited slipcover until the page is up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Full specs on the Close Encounters of the Third Kind: UHD (Sept. 19):

- All three versions of the film (1977 Theatrical, 1980 Special Edition, and 1997 Director's Cut) in 4K
- Remastered DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound
- New featurette on the different versions
- New interview with Spielberg, J.J. Abrams, and Denis Villeneuve on the impact of the film
- Steven Spielberg's home movies and outtakes

Also has all the extras from the original 2-disc Blu release:

- The Making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Steven Spielberg: 30 Years of Close Encounters
- Deleted Scenes
- Watch the Skies (vintage featurette)
- Storyboard to Scene comparisons
- Extensive photo gallery
- A View from Above (annotations on the multiple cuts)
- Theatrical trailers

There will be a multi-format UHD release (1-disc UHD, 2-disc Blu, and digital code), Blu-ray (2-discs), and a limited edition 4K gift set with collector's packaging and booklet.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Amazon has an insane price on Severin's disc for The Killing of America, $8.59:

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Amer...ling+of+america

I already have this and highly recommend it. On the surface you'd think it is just another exploitative sleazy mondo documentary, but it's actually a really powerful and sad piece about gun violence in America. Worth your time, especially at that price.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Heck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Liar Lyre posted:

Heck yeah.

Finally. I've only seen this on my fourth generation VHS tape I got through trading in the 90s. Going to get the limited package from Severin directly with the improper use of a saxophone artwork and the Fulci pin.

• Locked thread