Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Former Goldman-Sachs executive is clearly a communist... how does that make any sense :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nuclear power is expensive as gently caress to build and there are real problems with storing the waste after the fact. A nuclear plant in South Carolina just stopped being built because it was too expensive.

We really should be pushing wind and solar because that poo poo is the future and that's not some hippie wishful thinking.

The amount of solar power produced is blowing predictions out of the water:

And every 5 years it gets 50% cheaper:

e:

Also this. There are more ways to store potential energy then just batteries.
A few lessons from Germany:
- in 1998, centre-left, neoliberal Gerhard Schröder replaced Helmut Kohl as chancellor of Germany - ending 16 years of conservative dominance.
- in 2002, there was a flood in northern Germany. Schröder managed this really well (at least in public perception), becoming the Flood Chancellor and gaining reelection.

- The Schröder government initiated the Atomausstieg - complete exit from nuclear power within few decades - and accompanying it, a massive renewable power program in Germany (with massive subsidies)
- Merkel replaced Schröder, and attempted to slow down the Atomausstieg. But then Fukushima happened, and now Germany is dead set on leaving nuclear as soon as possible.
- Seems it would work out fine, given how heavily we've invested in renewables, right? There's windmills and solar everywhere!
- Reality: new coal plants everywhere, a massive gas pipeline to Russia tying us to Putin, energy imports from neighbouring, nuke-heavy France, and frozen (i.e., not decreasing) carbon emissions

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 25, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gret posted:

Former Goldman-Sachs executive is clearly a communist... how does that make any sense :psyduck:

Because in the United States "communist" just means "person who I politically oppose."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

As an atheist goy living within walking distance of three synagogues, the Jewish community center and two family-owned delis, I support this plan of global domination. My neighborhood owns. :toot:

e- lol one of the bistro/brunch type places serves a side of thick cut bacon + eggs done any way you want. This menu item is called ...

:v:

Sixteen dollars?! that reuben sounds good though...

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hyro pumping is a pretty viable solution, and diversification is also important. Hydroelectric and nuclear would still be around. I'm mainly arguing against the "nuclear will solve EVERYTHING" idea. Shifting the pollution from greenhouse gases to nuclear radiation and still requiring the mining and processing of fuel isn't a good solution. Especially because the damage we've done to our environment with carbon fuels can fix itself in hundreds to thousands of years, but nuclear waste is around for millions-billions of years.

I mean theoretically we could just launch it into the sun, eventually.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hyro pumping is a pretty viable solution, and diversification is also important. Hydroelectric and nuclear would still be around. I'm mainly arguing against the "nuclear will solve EVERYTHING" idea. Shifting the pollution from greenhouse gases to nuclear radiation and still requiring the mining and processing of fuel isn't a good solution. Especially because the damage we've done to our environment with carbon fuels can fix itself in hundreds to thousands of years, but nuclear waste is around for millions-billions of years.

Right the waste is around for a long time, but in terms of global impact, its pretty minuscule. You sure as hell could gently caress up a local area for a very long time, but an ecosystem and such would be fine. And anyone who thinks its will SOLVE the problem is wrong, renewables will. nuclear is just the best fit solution for this time where we solve the large problems involved in getting a city like say, Indianapolis, to work on renewables. It can pollute, but fossils are already spewing literal tons radioactivity into the air every single day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

maskenfreiheit posted:

Looks like the swamp may have been drained TOO well. Luckily it will get filled soon 💦

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/901108081442082816

These aren't even positions that need confirmation right?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
GLOBAL GARY

"Globalist" never had any meaning in the first place but they managed to make it have less than zero meaning somehow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

As an atheist goy living within walking distance of three synagogues, the Jewish community center and two family-owned delis, I support this plan of global domination. My neighborhood owns. :toot:

e- lol one of the bistro/brunch type places serves a side of thick cut bacon + eggs done any way you want. This menu item is called ...

:v:

Squirrel Hill owns

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah this is the attitude that got Trump into the white house.

Yeah no.
What got Trump elected was racism and stupid people that thought "self made billionaire must be good with money" or vote party first.

Trump had a rap sheet miles long and broke the ceiling for scandals and gaffs made during his campaign. Any poo poo heap can get elected, they just need to be made of the right poo poo. And when it comes to republicans, that's extremely easy to do

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

empty whippet box posted:

GLOBAL GARY

"Globalist" never had any meaning in the first place but they managed to make it have less than zero meaning somehow.

Globalist always had a meaning, it means Jewish banker conspiracies. Lazy people unwilling to type out globalization just muddied the waters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

poo poo happens when a 9.0 earthquake hits an area. It would have been a disaster no matter what.

Over a nuclear timeframe, statistically, that will happen everywhere you build a plant. Half-lives are loooong.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

gret posted:

The same way that another former goldman sachs employee is clearly against big banks (Bannon)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Searching "Gary Cohn" on Twitter right now gives some pretty amazing results:

https://twitter.com/Tabula_Media/status/901108680552329217

Protip for life: If you ever notice yourself starting a sentence with "looks like the nazis were right," you may have made some poor decisions leading to this point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Globalist is how Henry Ford winkingly references his anti-antisemitism. Globalization is technology that you research toward the end of the tech tree in Civilization 6.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Over a nuclear timeframe, statistically, that will happen everywhere you build a plant. Half-lives are loooong.

Which is why we should have off-site nuclear waste storage in places that aren't prone to disasters of apocalyptic scale. I hear there's a nice place in Nevada that meets that description.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pakled posted:

I expect the alt-right nonsense section of the internet to start formulating conspiracy theories blaming her for the helicopter crash that took her legs if/when she throws her hat into the ring, and if it starts looking like she's going to win the primary, the usual talking heads will absolutely pick up on it and swiftboat the hell out of her.

Doesn't have to be the alt-right of the internet. Max Cleland lost three limbs in the Vietnam war and garden variety republicans were openly suggesting that it was his own grenade that caused him to lose his limbs. He was also portrayed as an Osama Bin Laden supporter despite voting with the Bush administration on most items related to national security because he once voted in favor of a procedural amendment related to inspections that had passed with bi-partisan support.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
nuclear is noticeably better than coal as a baseline but we need a storage solution which we aren't even close to and we should also be heavily into wind/solar even though they don't solve 100% of problems because we need baseline generation

There I had the energy generation debate for you.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gret posted:

Lightning Knight posted:

Because in the United States "communist" just means "person who I politically oppose."
To a first approximation, on the US right, a communist is someone who uses the state's power to prevent you from doing something you want to do, or takes your stuff, and uses it for any other purpose than killing muslims.

AriadneThread posted:

uh, you really want to use fukushima as an example of safe?
are we thinking of the same fukushima that has displaced thousands of people for a still indeterminate period of time? the one where is came out neglect of safety and maintenance practices spanning back to like, i think 1992, are directly attribute to the reactor meltdown?

i'm pro-nuclear energy and all, but that's not really an example i'd want to bring to mind when trying to convince someone. even with 'only' like a hundred some projected radiation related cancers estimated to come, you still have thousands of peoples whose lives were ruined with all the stress and anguish that comes with that.
I don't want to victim blame, but a lot of the stress comes from excessive fear of atoms. There's some estimates the psychological cost of Chernobyl vastly exceeds the physical impact.
Yes, people have been displaced, but a running coal plant of the same magnitude actually kills people as it is running "safely", pollutes the environment too (it's more distributed, but it does give you deadly smog, ending wildlife and furthering some of the biggest killers in the west, e.g. pulmonary diseases), and if you add an accident on top, you're looking at a lot of dead people. Of course, the psychological stress will be much less because people burning/choking to death is something we can deal with mentally.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn't Three Mile Island a case of successful safety failsafes and regulation preventing a nuclear meltdown? I don't remember anymore the specifics of that event.
Yes, but it happened less than two weeks before The China Syndrome was released in theaters.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

Squirrel Hill owns

:D See, peer reviewed proof! This is now a scientific fact.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

nuclear is noticeably better than coal as a baseline but we need a storage solution which we aren't even close to and we should also be heavily into wind/solar even though they don't solve 100% of problems because we need baseline generation
Speaking as somebody living in a state with a population density of ~230/km2 (10x that of the US), I don't get why Americans say that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, but it happened less than two weeks before The China Syndrome was released in theaters.

I haven't the slightest clue what that is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"There is a global jewish effort to oppose nazis" is like, the lowest effort conspiracy ever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=china+syndrome

Wikipedia posted:

The China Syndrome is a 1979 American thriller film directed by James Bridges and written by Bridges, Mike Gray, and T. S. Cook. It tells the story of a television reporter and her cameraman who discover safety coverups at a nuclear power plant.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

EDIT: Sorry, someone else explained it.

But yes, the movie really did negatively affect public opinions on the nuclear industry.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"There is a global jewish effort to oppose nazis" is like, the lowest effort conspiracy ever.

It's as old if not older as the "freemasons=Illuminati" conspiracy though.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

A movie about a nuclear disaster that did well enough to harm the public's opinion of the nuclear industry.

Meanwhile Erin Brokovich has led us to further roll back environmental regulations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also the plot of a very good action/spy movie I would watch. "Featuring a young Harrison Ford as Simon Wiesenthal ... Scarlett Johansson as Hannah Arendt ... and a fuckload of explosions!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

The real scare, however, came from a quote in the 1979 film The China Syndrome, which stated, "It melts right down through the bottom of the plant—theoretically to China, but of course, as soon as it hits ground water, it blasts into the atmosphere and sends out clouds of radioactivity. The number of people killed would depend on which way the wind was blowing, rendering an area the size of Pennsylvania permanently uninhabitable." The actual threat of this was tested just 12 days after the release of the film when a meltdown at Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island Plant 2 (TMI-2) created a molten core that moved 15 millimeters toward "China" before the core froze at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel.[37] Thus, the TMI-2 reactor fuel and fission products breached the fuel plates, but the melted core itself did not break the containment of the reactor vessel.[38] Hours after the meltdown, concern about hydrogen build-up led operators to release some radioactive gasses into the atmosphere, including gaseous fission products. Release of the fission products led to a temporary evacuation of the surrounding area, but no injuries.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
First off, I want to say people who are hoping this goes poorly so it hurts Trump hard being a bit heartless. A lot of people may die focusing on the political aspects is bad.

Secondly, I think the FEMA director that currently have will probably be able to competently deal with the problem. Which means Trump might actually get a boost out of this since it will seem as if he is actually capable of dealing with emergency.

That's my thoughts and predictions.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePeavstenator posted:

but nuclear waste is around for millions-billions of years.

If the half life is that long it isn't radioactive to any degree that would be remotely harmful. There is carbon 14 everywhere but it isn't radioactive in a remotely harmful level unless you have a bunch of it in one place.

It's the short to medium half life materials that are nasty. If nuclear power generated nothing but long half life waste the danger would be from heavy metal poisoning.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

It's as old if not older as the "freemasons=Illuminati" conspiracy though.

I am pretty sure it's not a conspiracy theory that jewish people oppose nazis.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Sixteen dollars?! that reuben sounds good though...

Hey, want a good restaurant to stick around you gotta patronize it. (It's worth every penny, the reuben is killer)

Global Jewish domination today! :toot:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I have to maintain my entitled millennial cred by turning my nose up at anything from before the Berlin Wall fell that doesn't have magic or lasers in it. :colbert:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

oohhboy posted:

If the half life is that long it isn't radioactive to any degree that would be remotely harmful. There is carbon 14 everywhere but it isn't radioactive in a remotely harmful level unless you have a bunch of it in one place.

It's the short to medium half life materials that are nasty. If nuclear power generated nothing but long half life waste the danger would be from heavy metal poisoning.

Also the reason nuclear waste is so dangerous is because it is still highly energetic and the sane thing is to put it in a breeder reactor and keep using it, but we can't because of cold war treaties so we end up with "nuclear waste" that is absolutely still useable for power generation and contains 99.9% of the power it started with.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn't Three Mile Island a case of successful safety failsafes and regulation preventing a nuclear meltdown? I don't remember anymore the specifics of that event.

Nope. Three Mile was a bunch of human error and violations of safety codes along with a mechanical breakdown that allowed the coolant inside the reactor to vent and thus the core without coolant began to melt

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Covok posted:

First off, I want to say people who are hoping this goes poorly so it hurts Trump hard being a bit heartless. A lot of people may die focusing on the political aspects is bad.

Secondly, I think the FEMA director that currently have will probably be able to competently deal with the problem. Which means Trump might actually get a boost out of this since it will seem as if he is actually capable of dealing with emergency.

That's my thoughts and predictions.

The appropriate reaction at this point is to hope that FEMA does it's job, yes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SocketWrench posted:

Nope. Three Mile was a bunch of human error and violations of safety codes along with a mechanical breakdown that allowed the coolant inside the reactor to vent and thus the core without coolant began to melt

So what you're telling me is that we need nuclear power plants to only be staffed by robots.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am pretty sure it's not a conspiracy theory that jewish people oppose nazis.

There's also a national conspiracy of black people opposing the KKK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cingulate posted:

Speaking as somebody living in a state with a population density of ~230/km2 (10x that of the US), I don't get why Americans say that.

Because you're not familiar with the reality of the situation. It's not that we don't have options, it's that we aren't doing anything about them.

I could explain it but I'm lazy and John Oliver did a really, really good segment on this last week so go watch that.

• Locked thread