Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to be able to make the ole grenade in a tin can trap or some kind of booby traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

beartraps

have them spawn engaged and ready to go

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
FPP is a lot of fun, shame that so many guys on the discord just do not want to play it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Lladre posted:

FPP is a lot of fun, shame that so many guys on the discord just do not want to play it.

My squads have been playing it exclusively.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This PUBG tournament is falling apaaaaaarrrrtttt

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, they've had to cancel a drop like twice now?

I feel bad for these casters, though I'm not watching right now, so maybe they're handling it all right?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Maybe get all these idiots to stop tabbing out to OBS/Twitch as soon as the server starts to load them in.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Increase the time before the circle starts moving by 100%
Increase the speed at which the circle closes by 100%
Increase the damage done by the circle by 300%

Maybe this doesn't magically solve all the game's "issues" but across all the games I've played I have three recurring complaints with the default gameplay:

First: the early circles barely tickle you. Drop for a car, drive all the way south to the military base, loot the entire thing, come away with 5-10 meds and you can happily boost/heal your way through 5 or 10 or more consecutive minutes of the early circles. Replace military base with whatever decent loot location is far from the plane flight path. Increasing circle damage means you don't ever want to spend time in the blue, ever. The first strategy in peoples' minds should be "how do I ensure I spend no time inside the deadly blue circle?"

Second: The optimal strategy in most mid/late games is to stick to the edge of the circle and spiral inwards as it gets ready to/starts to move. Usually this is because if you're on the edge of the circle you only need to cover threats from a field 180 degrees or less, as opposed to 360 degrees if you plop yourself in the circle's center. Increasing the speed at which the circle closes means you can't sit on the edge until it's about to move, you need to get yourself to safety ahead of time which means exposing yourself to greater than 180 degrees of threat.

Third: Maybe the absolute least enjoyable part of duos or squad games is when you get in a full blown firefight in the mid/late game and it spells death for both teams involved because, oops, you didn't end the firefight in 20 seconds which means now the circle is going to engulf both teams. Or, even lamer, when you spot a team/squad but don't want to engage because if you start a fight you won't have time to get to the next circle. Increasing the time before the circle starts moving gives you more time to avoid the more deadly circle (at least in this proposal) and more time to engage in hectic late-game firefights without the terrible anticlimax of killing all your enemies and then succumbing meekly to the blue, or meekly avoiding the fight altogether (and then getting shot in the back).

None of this magically makes this game a Quality eSport (tm) and maybe it isn't even possible to jive up these numbers with the current default map size (it's too big). tl;dr the blue circle should be way scarier, but it should ALSO always be your fault if you die to it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is the vektor (sp) still in the game? tbh I only saw it once, a month ago, and the dude using it kept murdering people left and right.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

mike12345 posted:

Is the vektor (sp) still in the game? tbh I only saw it once, a month ago, and the dude using it kept murdering people left and right.

It is. The other day I found four vectors in a cluster of houses in one of the smaller cities. And then didn't see another for days.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Buane posted:

Increase the time before the circle starts moving by 100%
Increase the speed at which the circle closes by 100%
Increase the damage done by the circle by 300%

Maybe this doesn't magically solve all the game's "issues" but across all the games I've played I have three recurring complaints with the default gameplay:

First: the early circles barely tickle you. Drop for a car, drive all the way south to the military base, loot the entire thing, come away with 5-10 meds and you can happily boost/heal your way through 5 or 10 or more consecutive minutes of the early circles. Replace military base with whatever decent loot location is far from the plane flight path. Increasing circle damage means you don't ever want to spend time in the blue, ever. The first strategy in peoples' minds should be "how do I ensure I spend no time inside the deadly blue circle?"

Second: The optimal strategy in most mid/late games is to stick to the edge of the circle and spiral inwards as it gets ready to/starts to move. Usually this is because if you're on the edge of the circle you only need to cover threats from a field 180 degrees or less, as opposed to 360 degrees if you plop yourself in the circle's center. Increasing the speed at which the circle closes means you can't sit on the edge until it's about to move, you need to get yourself to safety ahead of time which means exposing yourself to greater than 180 degrees of threat.

Third: Maybe the absolute least enjoyable part of duos or squad games is when you get in a full blown firefight in the mid/late game and it spells death for both teams involved because, oops, you didn't end the firefight in 20 seconds which means now the circle is going to engulf both teams. Or, even lamer, when you spot a team/squad but don't want to engage because if you start a fight you won't have time to get to the next circle. Increasing the time before the circle starts moving gives you more time to avoid the more deadly circle (at least in this proposal) and more time to engage in hectic late-game firefights without the terrible anticlimax of killing all your enemies and then succumbing meekly to the blue, or meekly avoiding the fight altogether (and then getting shot in the back).

None of this magically makes this game a Quality eSport (tm) and maybe it isn't even possible to jive up these numbers with the current default map size (it's too big). tl;dr the blue circle should be way scarier, but it should ALSO always be your fault if you die to it.

I agree with a lot of this. Being outside the blue should be a major punishment, it would force people to actually move toward each other.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Replace the electrogas with exploding collars, if you're out of bounds you don't take damage but if you stay out too long and you explode and die instantly.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shima Honnou posted:

Replace the electrogas with exploding collars, if you're out of bounds you don't take damage but if you stay out too long and you explode and die instantly.

You know what could be interesting is instead of making that a time limit you could make it a function of a ratio on how many players are in vs out. Like once the circle is drawn it's considered active immediately and once 90% (or whatever, I dunno) of the remaining players are inbounds the remaining 10% get popped. Or maybe give it at least some timer so that people far away at least have a chance, I dunno. Actually this idea is probably bad but I'm gonna mash 'submit' anyways

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ever play 'last place is eliminated' racing games? Imagine the frustration of that and you can't see the field to know you're last.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Want me to suck your toes?

I like when players engage in voice, if they fix the bullshit early game break your ears problem I think more players would leave voice unmuted.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
How about: damage taken in the blue is permanent. It lowers your max HP.

So when you escape the blue, you don't have to immediately heal, because it'll do nothing, and there's no incentive to stay in it because it's slowly making all your healing items useless one tick at a time.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I think the early zones are just too long, over emphasizing the looting. Some tweaks like ~ quicker early zones, more damage in the blue, limiting the fuel to stop people being to traverse the map at will or move out to a remote location will condense things a bit more.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

Yes this, but the timing should be random. If they want the game to be purely about skill in scavenging + surviving + shooting, and not about playing the meta wall game, they need to make it impossible to predict how long you can spend outside the wall so you're heavily discouraged from exploiting it to sneak up on someone who doesn't expect someone to be outside of it, but give them enough time to book it back in if they have bad luck and get suddenly stuck outside. Like, you're just told "proceed to the circle SOON". It might kill you in 1 minute, it might be 5, you don't know, but if you move now you'll make it in enough time.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Actually a pretty elegant solution could be to make it so that you can't heal while in the blue. Or drastically reduce the efficacy of healing items

Orv
May 4, 2011
All of these are terrible ideas.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah those are all pretty drat bad, and will make normal people stop playing

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I'm not sure what issue you're trying to address. Those firefights in the blue are really tense because of the stakes - getting knocked down means your team has to stop running or leave you behind, it's great. I think the later circles should have their duration increased but the blue damage is fine - you *should* have a long time to get to the first circle even if you're outside the blue.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah those are all pretty drat bad, and will make normal people stop playing

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
who cares about casuals, this survival game is only about getting into as many firefights as possible

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

add parachutes as a lootable item so we can base jump off the top of the buildings on the upcoming urban map

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

nachos posted:

who cares about casuals, this survival game is only about getting into as many firefights as possible

A lot of ppl jokingly say this but seriously, this is the best way to play the game. Always be running towards gunfire.

If you're ending matches with less than 5 kills you should feel bad.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I don't think there is an issue other than the least fun part of the game is the looting phase which can go on a bit. In other news - duo FPP much better than yesterday. They guy who does the post match interviews is terrible though. He keeps telling people that they won through luck and what do they think about that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fart Car '97 posted:

add parachutes as a lootable item so we can base jump off the top of the buildings on the upcoming urban map

I want them to add the "f to cut chute" option at all times while chuting in. So if you see that there's someone else going for your spot, you can cut your chute and risk damage or death to hit the ground first.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

knees of putty posted:

I don't think there is an issue other than the least fun part of the game is the looting phase which can go on a bit.

That's your own fault, not the game's. Lately I have been dropping into high pop areas and duking it out. If I come out on top I just off myself with a frag so I can re-start all over again

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I started trying out the drop on school and be the last one standing mini-game, last night, and now more than ever I want this game to not have poo poo movement.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Tokubetsu posted:

A lot of ppl jokingly say this but seriously, this is the best way to play the game. Always be running towards gunfire.

I think a smaller map will help with the boring down time. The best part of the game is when the circle forces groups to engage. I'm not a big fan of looting and running, I played enough DayZ for that.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's your own fault, not the game's. Lately I have been dropping into high pop areas and duking it out. If I come out on top I just off myself with a frag so I can re-start all over again

Sounds like a solution.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"I want to remove big parts of what make this game different from other shooters" - this thread

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

knees of putty posted:

Sounds like a solution.

Seriously though, the real solution to your issue is to drop into areas where you're going to get into firefights and come out with good loot if you survive, and to then go looking for fights. The game is as boring as you let it be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Like instead of complaining you ought to celebrate that the game can be played in so many different ways. You can have fun in whatever way you like best! Sometimes I like to drop in a hot zone, other times I like to drop in a more moderate spot, where you have the tension of balancing smart looting versus the risk of someone else coming along and murking you. Early game can be tense as gently caress even if you don't drop school or military.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

In the latter stages this game turns into such a game of chicken it's hilarious

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
The game is great, but it's early access and not perfect. Seems reasonable to talk about tweaks that could make it better. I love it when squads are trying to work a section, which tends to happen later in the game, but I'm sure other people like other aspects.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If there's a problem with any circle, it's probably the first. I wouldn't be averse to it taking longer but also doing more damage once it's past.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

First circle isn't so bad once you realize the best way to handle crossing the map isn't by making a beeline towards it- but running down the nearest road until you find a vehicle. I haven't had to run any marathons since figuring that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey guys just hiding in this bush watching the stream of the match...https://clips.twitch.tv/FairDignifiedMallardPeoplesChamp

• Locked thread