Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
God, I really hate the confusing mess that is DT-style ABS. CM's were so much better to work with when they actually did them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I still am jealous of those of you that can do transcription and stay sane!

I'm needing a new side gig since LF moved to RaterLabs and they're not hiring in New Jersey right now(likely ever). Lionbridge and Appen don't seem to be in much of a rush to talk to me about their open rater positions.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The trick to transcription is to come into it already insane.

E: The best part about doing this garbage poo poo for DT is I haven't been signed onto their schedule for a couple weeks, they specifically asked me if I'd make time for this crap and like a dumb idiot I said yes. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on checks from them that haven't shown up and devoting a day to work that I could just refuse.

I really need to try my hand at Textbroker one of these days.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 28, 2017

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm trying to get all my poo poo together to apply for DT and I just installed Express Scribe. The way it sounded in the op and from reading the thread it seemed like I should have no problem just using the free version.

Just so I'm straight on this, the free version requires an expensive proprietary foot pedal and doesn't play video.

Will it still play a video file but just the audio portion? Is there a decent source for foot pedals that are compatible but cost less than the $90 that they are asking?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Free version should do video unless they've been loving with it hardcore.

You'll want a foot pedal of some kind regardless of what you use because it frees up your hands to type. Amazon probably has them for like $50.

titties
May 10, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Free version should do video unless they've been loving with it hardcore.

You'll want a foot pedal of some kind regardless of what you use because it frees up your hands to type. Amazon probably has them for like $50.

I was just going off of this page which says:

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

titties posted:

I was just going off of this page which says:

If it doesn't, you can always try Inqscibe. Their free version is what I still use and it plays video and is compatible with my $50 infinity foot pedal I got from Amazon.

And you don't really need the foot pedal since you can use hot keys or the buttons to control the audio it's just slower. Honestly, I wouldn't buy the pedal unless you're hired.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

titties posted:

I'm trying to get all my poo poo together to apply for DT and I just installed Express Scribe. The way it sounded in the op and from reading the thread it seemed like I should have no problem just using the free version.

Just so I'm straight on this, the free version requires an expensive proprietary foot pedal and doesn't play video.

Will it still play a video file but just the audio portion? Is there a decent source for foot pedals that are compatible but cost less than the $90 that they are asking?

It's been a few years so I'm hazy on the details, but you could try using For the Record. I used it for court recording files, but they say it also will play regular video and audio files. It's free, so it's worth a shot.

And yeah, if you are looking for a pedal, you can get one that should work with most things for about $50.

titties
May 10, 2012

SquirrelFace posted:

If it doesn't, you can always try Inqscibe. Their free version is what I still use and it plays video and is compatible with my $50 infinity foot pedal I got from Amazon.

And you don't really need the foot pedal since you can use hot keys or the buttons to control the audio it's just slower. Honestly, I wouldn't buy the pedal unless you're hired.

The way things are going I won't buy the foot pedal unless I am hired and until I get paid :smith:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You used to be able to use an xbox controller as a foot pedal. You could assign the buttons to functions and use your toe, that's how I did my first transcriptions. Then I found a pedal on CL for $20.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

titties posted:

The way things are going I won't buy the foot pedal unless I am hired and until I get paid :smith:

Your keyboard got media controls? When I started I used exclusively media controls until I earned enough to make a pedal.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

The trick to transcription is to come into it already insane.

E: The best part about doing this garbage poo poo for DT is I haven't been signed onto their schedule for a couple weeks, they specifically asked me if I'd make time for this crap and like a dumb idiot I said yes. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on checks from them that haven't shown up and devoting a day to work that I could just refuse.

I really need to try my hand at Textbroker one of these days.

Unfortunately I can't pick up multiple voices in a conversation that well, or voices with significant background noise. I think I mentioned it earlier that I had issues left and right with doing that sort of thing in mTurk, and mTurk's pay rate is definitely not worth the effort.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Armitage posted:

Unfortunately I can't pick up multiple voices in a conversation that well, or voices with significant background noise. I think I mentioned it earlier that I had issues left and right with doing that sort of thing in mTurk, and mTurk's pay rate is definitely not worth the effort.

I spent that day listening to some rich suburbanite complain and about how life's lost its zest, and also to his babies scream in my ears because they're ill-behaved garbage babies.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Since I'm no longer with Leapforce/RaterLabs due to location, and Lionbridge yanked my application at the 'you're ready to take the exam!' stage at the last minute, are there any other companies that offer a decent amount of work for search engine evaluators? I tried Appen, but apparently they are extremely slow to respond.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
It's back!!!

I just got assigned segments of our favorite show. Paying .95 a minute so that's good, but I'm so afraid to open the files when I get home from work...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Ah, the beautiful moments that happen in non-interview, like a father and daughter talking about their self-harm cutting habits.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Well, DT has apparently decided that they own me now and are just shoving work at me without a single regard for the schedule at all.

I have 40 minutes of CCSL due between now and tomorrow, and then 60 minutes of it due between now and the end of Thursday, and then another 60 minutes of it due between now and midday Sunday. I haven't been on the schedule in 3 weeks. But at the same time I can't say no to over $1,000. That's like full-stop 1/7th what I made last year all on one single check.

At least it's a drama with semi-long takes instead of quick-cuts every 0.5 seconds.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, Fiverr has recently released 'Fiverr Pro, which basically means 'if you're a legitimate professional, join the upper-tier of sellers and do bigger projects and charge more.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uEb9CfHdM

I applied for the audio category, which isn't available for Fiverr Pro yet, but figured I'd put my name in anyway. I've worked on indie games, used to do music and sound design in my previous 9-5 job, and I have a demo reel put together, so I figure I have a shot at being included whenever they add audio in there.

Here's a link with more info:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008905708

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I read this thread awhile back and always think of y'all since I moonlight for a Translation company doing tech work for conferences (think Nicole Kidman in The interpreter but boring and with primadonna type interpreters). We will sometimes do transcription if the client requests it but it's always from another language to English so it's pretty specialized. We usually kick out the work to anyone who wants to make some extra money on the side(myself and other techs or office staff) but I am swamped with a career change and the other dudes are also busy with education or life in general so I am probably going to reach out to y'all for some English to English transcriptions.

I am currently waiting on the State Department to send over the files... loving CDs so I need to convert them to mp3s or something so I can distribute them. No idea about the subject but be prepared to be bored! No need to PM yet but I will post in here either way if we move forward. Some of this poo poo is such terrible quality, had a law firm send over 8 hours of recordings done from someone's suit pocket with 6 people talking at once in Gujarati no less. The interpreter noped the gently caress out of that one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My GF is looking for work online. She isn't US/Canada and is ESL but is better at English than most native speakers (and has a neutral accent). She's currently working part-time under a US-based employer writing content for their site, but can do some design work. I read the OP, and would like to know what sites she can use to find more work (since it's mentioned that a lot of them are US-only).

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Project finished, thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 30, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Those Zero Chaos guys finally got back to me, to tell me that the position has been closed lol

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Working on some talking heads for DT that require the use of an id sheet, but there's like 25 women and I swear to god they all look the same. It's taking me longer to figure out who is who than it's taking me to transcribe...

Edit: Also, I am so sick of white woman saying "definitely" every other word. Ugh!

The weird pet peeves you develop working transcription.

SquirrelFace fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 4, 2017

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wonder if there is a good workaround for using a hotspot to get a VoiP going to be a LiveOps agent. Between that possibility and hoping to get involved with DT, my dream of being able to work remotely and eliminate large monthly bills from my life suddenly seems achievable. Anyone know if there is a workaround?

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Just submitted my DT test, which took the bulk of the day. Holy hell. 6 people cooing and awwing and yaying at the same time for 20 seconds... I can blow through interrupted speech and some mumbling, but sussing out all their little ums and ahs over each other is the damned worst. Thank god DT's formatting is super easy.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Subjunctivitis posted:

Just submitted my DT test, which took the bulk of the day. Holy hell. 6 people cooing and awwing and yaying at the same time for 20 seconds... I can blow through interrupted speech and some mumbling, but sussing out all their little ums and ahs over each other is the damned worst. Thank god DT's formatting is super easy.

Yeah, don't worry about that. They deliberately throw you the worst possible audio for the test. I've only had a few that came close to the test in the 1 year + i've been doing it and they pay $1/ minute. The vast, vast majority is one on one interview style.

Also, for anyone else considering applying, they just sent out and email blast about having tons of work so now is the time!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Some of DT's clients are up to their old tricks cutting out questions in interviews again, so keep a lookout for that. At least they aren't slicing up the timecodes this time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did anybody see this thing where Rev is now offering automatic transcription w/ no human editing for 10 cents per minute?

https://www.temi.com/

I just put a 5 minute interview into it I knew I had a word for word translation exact translation of. Multiple speakers, some with heavy accents (which is what it tells you the service is NOT good for). Ran it through, compared the two docs with Copyscape, and it was 85% accurate on the words. Grammar wise it had periods correct but didn't use a single comma.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Hallo Moneymaking thread, would anyone be able to recommend the best (or least worst) transcription site for someone living outside the US/Canada? (Australia specifically) I've signed up to Way With Words, Rev, TranscribeMe, and FocusForward, but I'd kind of like to know which one would be the most worthy of putting time into.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Astro7x posted:

Did anybody see this thing where Rev is now offering automatic transcription w/ no human editing for 10 cents per minute?

https://www.temi.com/

I just put a 5 minute interview into it I knew I had a word for word translation exact translation of. Multiple speakers, some with heavy accents (which is what it tells you the service is NOT good for). Ran it through, compared the two docs with Copyscape, and it was 85% accurate on the words. Grammar wise it had periods correct but didn't use a single comma.

Interesting. Still completely useless for the high-end stuff, but might be neat to get a mostly-correct rough draft of a piece and then spend your time editing instead of typing. Might have to try it out to see how it affects my workflow.

EDIT: Just checked it on a file and it wasn't near 85% for me. Missed speaker changes left and right, too. Neat idea, but this ain't very good yet. I'd probably spend at least half-again as much time editing as I would typing by hand.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 25, 2017

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Ah, DT. Where "Client-ready" means "We don't want to pay for proofreading."

Monolithburger, Rev is a bottom-feeder. I'd classify them more as MTurk-like work. To me, they pay too low, even for beginners. I hear good things about WayWithWords, and Focus Forward treated me well, but both of those will be mainly general/business transcription which ranges from okay to terrible work. FocusForward also does market research and records their own audio professionally. Most of those files were a dream to work on. They also accept outside audio which is usually terrible. I'm not familiar with TranscribeMe. I have a longstanding abusive relationship with DT, but thankfully don't have to rely on them. Keep on with as many of those companies as you can. You don't want to focus on one. Keep juggling and looking for new clients.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah thanks for clearing that up for me! After some research, it seems like TranscribeMe pays a pittance like REV (and aren't even accepting anyone right now), so I guess I'm gonna stick with the other two.

Also, I really liked the WayWithWords audio tests - lots of different accents which is definitely right up my alley.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is anyone working from home at like a call center or other no experience necessary positions? I am wondering where you found your job postings. I'd like to work from home even if it means answering phones.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Goddamn three kids is loving annoying!

I'm 15 minutes in and already on page 41 two 6-7-year-olds and a 12-year-old and their grandmother and they like to talk over each other and it's great and there's not really much coaching for the questions, it's all "talk about this and ramble for 10 minutes."

It's been awhile multiple-people-talking-over-each-other files, I don't miss you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

Goddamn three kids is loving annoying!

I'm 15 minutes in and already on page 41 two 6-7-year-olds and a 12-year-old and their grandmother and they like to talk over each other and it's great and there's not really much coaching for the questions, it's all "talk about this and ramble for 10 minutes."

It's been awhile multiple-people-talking-over-each-other files, I don't miss you.

That producer who thinks 10 minutes of improv as an answer for every question is bad and should feel bad. I only had 2 adults and that was awful enough.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Is anyone working from home at like a call center or other no experience necessary positions? I am wondering where you found your job postings. I'd like to work from home even if it means answering phones.

I haven't applied to any, but there are a lot of postings for these on Indeed. Search for remote in the location field and you'll find them.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Check out ratracerebellion.com

They have a spreadsheet with a ton of the call center companies listed on it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I think my favorite DT bullshit is working on transcribe-literally-everything shows where half the episode is the crew trying to solve inane things and I can't skip any of it for some reason, oh and also it pays 0.80 a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I think my favorite DT bullshit is working on transcribe-literally-everything shows where half the episode is the crew trying to solve inane things and I can't skip any of it for some reason, oh and also it pays 0.80 a minute.

That's the worst! At least for me, they tend to balance that out with the easier work.

Had one recently where it was talking head, concise interview questions and the first 10 minutes was set up covered by non-interview for .80.

The problem with them is how random their rates seem to be. They negotiate too low and then pass the losses onto transcribers.