Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I literally do not know anyone who shops at Gamestop anymore. Everyone buys games off of Amazon (cheaper for new), eBay/Craigslist (cheaper for used), or digital storefronts. Then there's the whole mobile gaming thing coming at them from the other side. Over the past year I've gone to a Gamestop a couple times to kill some time while waiting for someone, and you can tell they know this is true as well - less and less of the store is dedicated to games, and they're slowly becoming the videogames version of Hot Topic.

I've been tempted to buy their stock a couple times over the past few years until I remember that I should be their prime demographic and I don't even consider them when buying something.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

GME :prepop: Fat dividend and a potential holiday season bounce from now-cheap PS4s and the coveted Nintendo products. It almost looks cheap now. Not buying any, though.
I love their dividend but would not buy, I think even xmas shopping grandmas now realize they can just buy their gifts at Amazon. Gamestop is the next Radio Shack

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm sure the market's aware more people buy video games around the holidays already, I don't think it's some insight that won't be baked into the stock already.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
GME is just the next blockbuster and you are seriously goofy if you buy it. The only chance they have, as a very very outside long shot is being bought by AMZN or someone like that and turned into basically UPS stores. The size and locations are good for that. But that wouldn't happen until they get real cheap, as the writing is already on the wall.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 25, 2017

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I bought a used game there earlier this summer, because I couldn't find my copy (and I wanted it that day). First purchase there in.. Six years?

This is my anecdote.

Based on the above, we can expect great new customer acquisitions! Up up up!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

Soon there will be US regulated Bitcoin futures, swaps and options.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I got a couple of used games there last Christmas as gifts, but as a PC gamer I don't remember the last time I bought physical media for myself. About ten years ago, maybe?

My GME comment earlier was just thinking out loud about touching the poop on a dip (I didn't). I own some NTDOY which seems to be the safer way of betting on the success of the Nintendo Switch, 2DS XL, and SNES Classic.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Found this in the Bad With Money thread. At what point does a person realize they are absolutely terrible at stock picking and would be better off just closing their eyes and picking tickers at random?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that

CBOE/CFE XBT and MIAX/LedgerX.

Edit: While CFE's Bitcoin futures are TBD on release date, LedgerX is targeting September, and has already received regulatory approval.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I especially like that the few wins that are there are for amounts an order of magnitude less than the others.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I guarantee the only one he tells people about is his steel buy

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Butcher posted:

Found this in the Bad With Money thread. At what point does a person realize they are absolutely terrible at stock picking and would be better off just closing their eyes and picking tickers at random?

:trumppop:

Every time I start to get mad at myself for buying STX over the summer I'm going to just look at this image instead

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Butcher posted:

Hey who hacked my Scwab account.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Butcher posted:

That guy could be killing it if he decided to do the opposite of what he thought he should do.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Is that realized or unrealized? If the latter, I bet he's doing the classic bagholder mistake of selling winners off at 10-20% gains and riding the losers right into the ground.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Agronox posted:

Is that realized or unrealized? If the latter, I bet he's doing the classic bagholder mistake of selling winners off at 10-20% gains and riding the losers right into the ground.

Unrealized so def could be that.

The post mentioned the portfolio was a relatively small part of his net worth, as he'd been very successful over his lifetime in real estate and other businesses, just absolutely terrible with anything to do with stocks. And yet kept reaching back into the fire anyway...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Butcher posted:

:allbuttons:

Man, and I thought my SHAK buy was bad last year. I don't think I've ever done that poorly on stocks and I don't even know how someone could without literally throwing darts while drunk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

whatever the opposite of survivorship bias is called

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Diversifying means buying all the stocks in a specific sector right?

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

classic junk turd UNXL finally files for Ch 11 BK lmao. been a long time comin

I remember loising quite a bit on this fucker back in May-July 2013 :911:
that P&D was impressive...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Diversifying means buying all the stocks in a specific sector right?

Hedge your bitcoins with levered vol etfs

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That guy needs to stick to ETFs.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So Amazon dramatically cuts prices on the first day of their merger. Whole foods already bare bones on their margins before the merger. With the reduction in prices, it is now clear Amazon is taking losses on their Whole Foods subsidiary to subsidize groceries and build market share (shocker). While everyone loves to tout Amazon's supply chain and uses that to hand wave away the costs of this move, I am still skeptical. Amazon's supply chain expertise is with centralized national processing of non-perishable goods that capitalized on the removal of brick and mortar fixed costs. They were a first mover in this evolution, hence their position. Whole Foods is a brick and mortar store that relies on local supply chains for perishable goods. Their entire model is based upon "this apple was grown organically up the street by Farmer Bob". Amazon has not suggested they are going to deviate from this model, so I still don't know where they are going to create such drastic efficiencies. Start squeezing the local farmers?

I am interested in how Amazon is going to report the performance of the Whole Foods segment in their next earnings report. This whole Amazon-Whole Foods saga is flush with gross speculation based on hyped investing narratives (e.g. the Amazon effect!), but how long will that last when the numbers come in?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So Amazon dramatically cuts prices on the first day of their merger. Whole foods already bare bones on their margins before the merger. With the reduction in prices, it is now clear Amazon is taking losses on their Whole Foods subsidiary to subsidize groceries and build market share (shocker). While everyone loves to tout Amazon's supply chain and uses that to hand wave away the costs of this move, I am still skeptical. Amazon's supply chain expertise is with centralized national processing of non-perishable goods that capitalized on the removal of brick and mortar fixed costs. They were a first mover in this evolution, hence their position. Whole Foods is a brick and mortar store that relies on local supply chains for perishable goods. Their entire model is based upon "this apple was grown organically up the street by Farmer Bob". Amazon has not suggested they are going to deviate from this model, so I still don't know where they are going to create such drastic efficiencies. Start squeezing the local farmers?

I am interested in how Amazon is going to report the performance of the Whole Foods segment in their next earnings report. This whole Amazon-Whole Foods saga is flush with gross speculation based on hyped investing narratives (e.g. the Amazon effect!), but how long will that last when the numbers come in?

Are you saying I can probably get frozen burritos cheaper at Whole Foods than Trader Joe's for a few months? I'm happy to consume food sold to me at negative margin (see also blue apron's first delivery, $20 off first delivery from whatever VC backed app, etc).

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

leper khan posted:

Are you saying I can probably get frozen burritos cheaper at Whole Foods than Trader Joe's for a few months? I'm happy to consume food sold to me at negative margin (see also blue apron's first delivery, $20 off first delivery from whatever VC backed app, etc).

Isn't Blue Apron losing money?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Like a sieve

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

:thejoke:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hurricane Harvey's freaking me out. There's two reservoirs (Addicks and Barker) which look apt to fail, and downtown Houston's between them and the gulf.

So, how important is Houston to the US economy?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 28, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Hurricane Harvey's freaking me out. There's two reservoirs (Addicks and Barker) which look apt to fail, and downtown Houston's between them and the gulf.

So, how important is Houston to the US economy?

Fourth largest city, so probably very.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I don't think Huston is going to do very well in that market. I hear it's pretty flooded. :downsrim:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
So what do I buy to profit off this massive human suffering? Caterpillar? Home Depot?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Kevyn posted:

So what do I buy to profit off this massive human suffering? Caterpillar? Home Depot?

Coca-Cola sells a lot of bottled water.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
MUNI bonds if you're into that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mold remediation products? Concrobium is manufactured by "Siamons International" which is a privately held Canadian company, so... yeah I dunno, that's the extent of my mold remediation product knowledge.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kevyn posted:

Yeah I'd say do your dd and take a look at HD, LOW, TSCO, CAT, perhaps even flooring/tiling like TTS (which is down after earnings backlash but sitll very solid). Perhaps some Texas heavy engineering-construction like FLR, and home-building like KBH, LEN, and perhaps even Texas specific REIT like WSR once the dust settles and rebuilding begins after it dips hard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Whole Foods' gross margins are 35% though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Also gently caress me for selling off my EDIT and NTLA stock after a nice rise last week :suicide:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Josh Lyman posted:

Whole Foods' gross margins are 35% though.

Right, but this is comparable to competitors when you normalize to foodstuff sales (e.g. KR has a lot of low margin gas, etc.). WFM does not own their stores, they still need people to work there, and their local supply chains are inefficient based on their "local, organic & fresh" business model. Amazon may be able to streamline some costs with advanced checkout, etc. However they will still need people to stock the shelves, clean up aisles and work store rooms just like every other supermarket. They still need to pay rent on their Class-A real estate.

In my opinion, Amazon's biggest advantage is going to be locating delivery lockers inside Whole Foods locations in an attempt to draw people into the store. This is especially true in the city. However even that wouldn't mean much if Whole Foods still has a reputation for overpriced hippie food. That is probably why they are making a large, publicized point on lowering prices.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
VXX is up 5% postmarket right now and it'll be back to even by open tomorrow morning then probably sell off or bump a little during the day. This has been happening every night for about 2 weeks now. I'm just curious what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

VXX is up 5% postmarket right now and it'll be back to even by open tomorrow morning then probably sell off or bump a little during the day. This has been happening every night for about 2 weeks now. I'm just curious what's happening.

today its more real
the N. Korean missle that blew up over Japan or w/e lol

Dow futures open more than 100 points lower after North Korea fires missile over Japan
>Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said North Korea fired a ballistic missile that passed over the Tohoku region at the northern end of Japan.
>U.S. stock index futures pointed to a lower open on Tuesday following the news.
>Local government urged people living in the area to take refuge in solid buildings or underground shelters, NHK reported.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-headed-toward-northern-japan-report-says.html