Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cingulate posted:

The point is that this is how bad it gets. Which is, not very. Think of how many people oil and natural gas and coal kill.

vvv I'd be so loving terrible in office vvv

If that's the case, then you'd need to include all the other nuclear failures that have happened including Chernobyl (no, this is how bad it gets) and Windscale.

Seriously, if you want to haul one up the pole, Fukushima might be your best bet or the amount of them we have now (US) and how little issue we have with them.

But pointing to a few historical events and ignoring others isn't going to get you far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ThePeavstenator posted:

C-14 is like 1 part per trillion and also incredibly low energy. U-235 found in nuclear waste is highly concentrated and also features some pretty loving nasty stuff including Cs-137 which is a product of that U-235 that takes millions of years to decay.
I'm hoping that's just awkwardly worded, because

quote:

Caesium-137 has a half-life of about 30.17 years. About 94.6 percent decays by beta emission to a metastable nuclear isomer of barium: barium-137m (137mBa, Ba-137m). The remainder directly populates the ground state of barium-137, which is stable.

U-235 has a halflife of 700 million years, which is so incredibly long it's effectively harmless as far as its own decay goes. The only way it becomes a problem is if you put it next to a shitload of free neutrons moping around slowly looking for a good home.

CS-137 is incredibly dangerous and one of the biggest problems from high-level nuclear waste, along with some Sr isotopes, but you're wording stuff really badly there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You spelled Bloomfield wrong.
Both are pretty cool places guys, it's ok. :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Okay, but no one has been nominated yet.

Does this rule apply to the primaries, as well? Should we just not have primaries anymore and get behind whoever gets picked out of a hat by the DNC donors in the Hamptons?

Talking about the general you doofus. If you want a leftist to win well go help one win.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

OddObserver posted:

I hope the dumb mayor gets roped into rescue duties, because it's likely some National/Coast Guardsman is going to have to risk their lives to save people who elected not to evacuate.

I hope he gets slapped with manslaughter charges for every single person who dies in his city even though I know he won't

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Shayl posted:

Corpus Cristie doesn't issue mandatory evacuation orders....which just is very ominous to me. So many people are going to stay home and get flushed out of their homes and into the ocean tonight :(

it's a red county, so nothing of value will be lost :)

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gort posted:

Not the best campaign slogan, I admit, but you've got to be better than Trump. I'm sold.

It's true... I won't sugar coat it... I'll tell you exactly how horrible I'll be. I'm just concerned that I will do my best to live up to that promise :/

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillHour posted:

Kind of sort of not really.

You're right that in general, longer half lives trend down towards less particles emitted per second, but the energy of those individual particles that is more important in how toxic radioactive materials are.

The flip side is it doesn't matter how energetic how the emission is if the count is very low from having a very long half life. It's all in the dose.

The other way to nuclear power could be better is if it generated a lot of very short half life products which can be stored until it goes away. *Enter breeders*

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

John Oliver's segment on it was absolute fearmongering trash in which he repeatedly equated nuclear waste from powerplants to the horrifying poo poo we made bootstrapping our weapons program. I like him quite a bit in general but it was one of the worst segments he's put out if you know anything about the subject.

:agreed:

Normally I am behind him all the way but that was just irresponsible. Funny thing if we did continued the weapons program we would have breeder reactors to burn most of the waste into something alot safer and lower quantity.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 25, 2017

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
While all these Houston snowflakes are running away from a little bit of rain, our brave law enforcement officers in CBP laugh in the face of hurricanes to keep the horde out of our country.

quote:

As thousands of Texans prepare to evacuate their cities due to Hurricane Harvey, the United States Border Patrol said it is not planning to close its roadside immigration checkpoints north of the Rio Grande Valley unless there is a danger to travelers or its agents.

“Border Patrol checkpoints will not be closed unless there is a danger to the safety of the traveling public and our agents. Border Patrol resources, including personnel and transportation, will be deployed on an as needed basis to augment the efforts and capabilities of local-response authorities,” the agency said in a statement.

The Border Patrol is a law enforcement agency and we will not abandon our law enforcement duties.”

When asked to elaborate on the statement, CBP public affairs officer Roberto Rodriguez said officers would prioritize public safety but keep intact the goals of the agency’s mission.

Catch a wave, guys.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bel Shazar posted:

It's true... I won't sugar coat it... I'll tell you exactly how horrible I'll be. I'm just concerned that I will do my best to live up to that promise :/

Will you not tweet out absolute garbage at 6am while trying to poo poo out the brick that became of last night's KFC?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bel Shazar posted:

This guy tells it like it is. I could have a beer with this guy.

Now you just need the appearance of being a millionaire or a few billionaire backers and we can get this party started.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Holy poo poo no, I would never vote for myself. I can just imagine the petty tyrant I would be if you gave me power.

"No more plaid. Anywhere. No, you don't get to ask why, that's just how it is now."

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Will you not tweet out absolute garbage at 6am while trying to poo poo out the brick that became of last night's KFC?

I don't think I have a twitter account, so I can guarantee no tweets. Snapchat dick pics, though...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

empty whippet box posted:

You mean like utterly fabricated stories of "bernie bros" being misogynist? Bernie and his supporters have been getting bashed by centrists as though they were worse than trump since day 1 of the primaries.

Oh yeah because leftists can't be misogynist at all

I'm leftist as gently caress but a non-zero portion of Bernie supporters were absolutely sexist. Men in leftist movements are often really sexist but you can never talk to them about it because "no we're not, we're leftists"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

If that's the case, then you'd need to include all the other nuclear failures that have happened including Chernobyl (no, this is how bad it gets)
... which is, again, not very bad. Just think of the numbers: how many people die to fossils .. let's say, every year? Every month? Every week? How much land gets uninhabitable? (Wars fought?)
How many people have died to nuclear power in ... ever?
How many people have died to nuclear power with Western, 80s+ safety standards?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bel Shazar posted:

I don't think I have a twitter account, so I can guarantee no tweets. Snapchat dick pics, though...

Bel Shazar 2020!!!! A chicken in every pot and a dick in every phone.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I'm leftist as gently caress but a non-zero portion of Bernie supporters were absolutely sexist. Men in leftist movements are often really sexist but you can never talk to them about it because "no we're not, we're leftists"

not voting for hillary is prima facie evidence of sexism. it's her turn boys!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Or racist. Trying to tell some leftists they're being racist is a loving pain in the rear end and I frankly don't know how PoC leftists even put up with it as much as they do.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
The thing about nuclear is that (at least since non-nuclear renewables started getting really good) nuclear as a longterm solution hasn't really been about fully covering power needs, it's been about covering baseload. You don't really want to be relying 100% on wind and solar for that since they can't particularly respond to increased demand, especially if they're already at max output.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

maskenfreiheit posted:

not voting for hillary is prima facie evidence of sexism. it's her turn boys!

Yeah this is more or less how conversations about leftist sexist men go, they mock the very idea and say it's a distraction from the issues.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Jaxyon posted:

I'm leftist as gently caress but a non-zero portion of Bernie supporters were absolutely sexist.

The same is true of Hillary voters. The difference between the two sides is that only one side had a dedicated smear campaign devised to amplify the problem to absurd heights.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

Or racist. Trying to tell some leftists they're being racist is a loving pain in the rear end and I frankly don't know how PoC leftists even put up with it as much as they do.

So many people have been driven out of leftist organizing over this poo poo I don't even know where to begin.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pander posted:

The same is true of Hillary voters. The difference between the two sides is that only one side had a dedicated smear campaign devised to amplify the problem to absurd heights.

But enough about the GOP.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

:agreed:

Normally I am behind him all the way but that was just irresponsible. Funny thing if we did continued the weapons program we would have breeder reactors to burn most of the waste into something alot safer and lower quantity.

Yeah. I'm posting from a DOE lab and it was very frustrating coming on the heels of finally having a very good article published about what the DOE does from Vanity Fair (that he even cited): https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

In general if you are using the Union of Concerned Scientists as a source, please don't. They suck. Anything legit that they post will be findable elsewhere from better sources.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

But enough about the GOP.

Dems will keep on losing as long as David Brock gets jobs from them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pander posted:

Ah yes, misandry

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
A great indicator of there being a sexist component to some of the Hillary hate is how hard Bernie supporters come down on the idea.

Like, talking about it isn't going to make someone take away the wobbly hat you purchased on the internet.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Ah yes, misandry

whatever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think there's a thread dedicated to hillary v bernie replays but I am not sure.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Yeah. I'm posting from a DOE lab and it was very frustrating coming on the heels of finally having a very good article published about what the DOE does from Vanity Fair (that he even cited): https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

In general if you are using the Union of Concerned Scientists as a source, please don't. They suck. Anything legit that they post will be findable elsewhere from better sources.

UCS is basically the PETA of nuclear science. They are awful, and take every effort possible to conflate nuclear weapons with power production.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

A great indicator of there being a sexist component to some of the Hillary hate is how hard Bernie supporters come down on the idea.

Like, talking about it isn't going to make someone take away the wobbly hat you purchased on the internet.

Did you also put a donut on your twitter handle?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Easy peasy! We deal with it, the same way we deal with a lot of things: nod, smile and cry/rage inwardly depending on what was said

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a video of nuclear flask testing and I giggle at how strong the things are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

joepinetree posted:

Did you also put a donut on your twitter handle?

I don't post on twitter. So not sure what this means.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Here is a video of nuclear flask testing and I giggle at how strong the things are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4

good thing they didnt ask me to destroy the flask, or i would have gotten radioactive all over my hands

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

DaveWoo posted:

Searching "Gary Cohn" on Twitter right now gives some pretty amazing results:

https://twitter.com/Tabula_Media/status/901108680552329217

I'm sure it's pissing into the ocean but does Twitter ever block blantant antisemitism like this? They appear to have a policy about it, is that just bullshit?

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175050

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cingulate posted:

... which is, again, not very bad. Just think of the numbers: how many people die to fossils .. let's say, every year? Every month? Every week? How much land gets uninhabitable? (Wars fought?)
How many people have died to nuclear power in ... ever?
How many people have died to nuclear power with Western, 80s+ safety standards?

No, it wasn't that bad, one just did unaccountable damage because no one realised it was doing anything till after a fire started. The other only cleared out a huge swath of countryside that will be unfit for humans to live in for centuries and spread radiation over all of Europe, including dumping a huge amount in Belarus where people are still living and a higher than average cancer rate exists

"How many people have died to nuclear power in ... ever?"

I don't think you'll ever be able to calculate this because nuclear doesn't kill within a standard time scale or always kill as directly associated to radiation when instead growing cancers and the like. I mean there isn't even an accurate count from Chernobyl.

"How many people have died to nuclear power with Western, 80s+ safety standards?"

All I said was you were pulling examples from history, you're going to have to include them all. You can't pick and choose.

If I were going to lead a program on nuke energy I'd point out accidents in the past, I'd point out what caused them and what we did to fix those problems and then show how much the tech has advanced and how safe it is now. Being as honest as possible about it is going to do way more than bullshit smoke and mirrors when it comes to winning over people that already think Nuclear is bullshit smoke and mirrors.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Pander posted:

I'm hoping that's just awkwardly worded, because

U-235 has a halflife of 700 million years, which is so incredibly long it's effectively harmless as far as its own decay goes. The only way it becomes a problem is if you put it next to a shitload of free neutrons moping around slowly looking for a good home.

CS-137 is incredibly dangerous and one of the biggest problems from high-level nuclear waste, along with some Sr isotopes, but you're wording stuff really badly there.

Yeah I was making the point that it's kind of absurd to compare nuclear waste to C-14. Also the comparison of U-235 being as dangerous as any other heavy metal is not a point in its favor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm sure it's pissing into the ocean but does Twitter ever block blantant antisemitism like this? They appear to have a policy about it, is that just bullshit?

Antisemitism is beyond Twitter's ability to handle, but don't you dare mouth off to Tony the Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

hahah no, Nazi's actually use twitter to target people.

• Locked thread