Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Doubtful that I'm gonna sell any. poo poo's more expensive than anticipated, with what low amount of parts making things expensive. A controller's guesstimated ~100€ for 6 PWMs, 2 UARTs and 2 ADCs. There's nothing else on it, other than the four rotated gyros. I'll eventually upload the KiCAD files, if it actually works. (--edit: Actually I only planned two boards. One on the desk for testing stuff, and one for flying. Why they shipped me a third board, I'm not sure. Glad I ordered spare components though.)

Yea, F4, and dRonin.

If the multigyro stuff works and improves the SNR, I'm probably gonna port the Airbot Streak F4 to dRonin, if it has dedicated CS lines to the gyros. Thing has a MPU-6500 and an ICM-20602 on it and is a production model.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I didn't realize you literally just made 3, that's amazing. Good luck!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If he releases the CAD and parts list, you could order your own run maybe through oshpark, and then toast yourself a board on your own. But since it's untested, might as well wait for him to do his own beta testing :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm, interesting. Peabody124, who wrote the autotune system years ago (back with Taulabs) became loosely active in #dRonin (again) and is writing some model based state estimator. That could possibly lead to glorious things. As if that guy doesn't have enough on the plate with his medical studies.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Somewhat annoyingly, the fact that I watch a lot of quad copter/FPV stuff on youtube means all my vid recommendations are about steel getting fired or whatever.

EDIT: What the gently caress is hammergate?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have no idea. Something something about a quad getting smashed to bits at some MultiGP event because of a rule violation. Name being thrown around of the offender is Chris Thomas, which also happens to the founder of MultiGP.

Someone being a massive rear end in a top hat due to delusions of grandeur, from how things sound.

--edit: Apparently some lovely rule made up about him smashing any quad that sends more than 25mW over the VTX, and this seems to be the first time he followed through. At least first time recorded on video.

--edit2: From the horse's mouth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWn7ImGAUc

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 20, 2017

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

we've had 3500 races and this is the first time I have picked up a hammer and literally smashed the gently caress out of someone's private property

lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I saw a hammer smash dubstep edit on Instagram a few days ago and just assumed it was a guy who was pissed at his gear. Then I found out it was an organizer so I just assumed it was a stunt and they smashed an emax nighthawk or something. The gopro mount was empty...

But then the league owner guy appologised for losing his temper lol

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm thinking of picking up this Gremlin frame.

Going to transfer the stuff from my babyhawk over to it, minus the camera. Is there anything else I will need? What's the best way to attach the FC and ESCs?

How should I secure the battery? Right now I'm using the strap thing on the hawk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

But then the league owner guy appologised for losing his temper lol
LBR managing FPV races is a complete PITA and if I had to do it I'd smash a quad on day 1.

Also I wanna put a heavier 5" together and I'm completely stumped for FC's. I kinda want a 4in1 ESC but most are made with a companion F4 board in mind, and then telemetry is a PITA. I'd go kiss but they're coming out with a 6S system soon which I'll prob want, and their ESCs are dumb money.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 20, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

LBR managing FPV races is a complete PITA and if I had to do it I'd smash a quad on day 1.

Also I wanna put a heavier 5" together and I'm completely stumped for FC's. I kinda want a 4in1 ESC but most are made with a companion F4 board in mind, and then telemetry is a PITA. I'd go kiss but they're coming out with a 6S system soon which I'll prob want, and their ESCs are dumb money.

A friend of mine just built their first 5" with a BFF3 board, Rotorgeeks 2204/2300kv motors, Spedix 30a ESCs, on a Chameleon frame. He put it together using the chameleon PDB and just daisy chaining the battery +- to the BFF3 board for current sensing. No idea if this will work but worth a shot. The ESC pads are easier to get to on the chameleon PDB, they're on the bottom of the BFF3.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A friend of mine just built their first 5" with a BFF3 board, Rotorgeeks 2204/2300kv motors, Spedix 30a ESCs, on a Chameleon frame. He put it together using the chameleon PDB and just daisy chaining the battery +- to the BFF3 board for current sensing. No idea if this will work but worth a shot. The ESC pads are easier to get to on the chameleon PDB, they're on the bottom of the BFF3.

That setup works (I use it) but I am getting a lot of noise through the video feed and presumably its causing the power cut issue Im having.

Im thinking of scrapping the whole setup and going to the Matek F405 AIO.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone being a massive rear end in a top hat due to delusions of grandeur, from how things sound.

Lol this loving video "So uh i decided I would smash this quad" Dude your lucky as gently caress you didn't get cooked. What if it was a loving accident that he was on the wrong power level?

Unrelated, do i need anything besides a parallel board to charge with this http://store.rotorriot.com/isdt-q6-plus-300w-14a-mini-pocket-charger/ I cant figure out if it needs a power supply or anything to charge the 3 packs I have. Could I go one at a time?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fuckit then, i'll do that. If I can skip the whole F4 thing all the better. See ya when we get to F7

AcidRonin posted:

What if it was a loving accident that he was on the wrong power level?
Go to a pilot's briefing sometime. It gets hammered (heh) again and again to not power up when a heat is on, and to never get past 25mW because there's just not enough spectrum separation when you have 8 ships in the air.

AcidRonin posted:

Unrelated, do i need anything besides a parallel board to charge with this http://store.rotorriot.com/isdt-q6-plus-300w-14a-mini-pocket-charger/ I cant figure out if it needs a power supply or anything to charge the 3 packs I have. Could I go one at a time?
You need a power supply at the upper end of the input voltage (this is more of a field charger), and I'd probably get the ISDT USB dongle too so you can upgrade the firmware.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 21, 2017

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Go to a pilot's briefing sometime. It gets hammered (heh) again and again to not power up when a heat is on, and to never get past 25mW because there's just not enough spectrum separation when you have 8 ships in the air.

Yea but if I go to a track day and break the rules, I get kicked out. The organizers don't get to crush my car. It just seems like such a silly response from a professional organization.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AcidRonin posted:

Yea but if I go to a track day and break the rules, I get kicked out. The organizers don't get to crush my car. It just seems like such a silly response from a professional organization.
Totally agreed on the overreaction.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why do you want to skip f4 boards evil bunny? People seem to be enjoying them.

I don't really follow hype that much so I never really know what's going on. This hobby is very bad for hype and drama though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

Why do you want to skip f4 boards evil bunny? People seem to be enjoying them.
It's hard to find boards where 2 inverted UARTS are available.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 21, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why people introduced inverted serial protocols to begin with, that's beyond me. gently caress that annoying poo poo.

Also, the F7 is comically huge.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AcidRonin posted:

FWIW apparently both the guy who lost his quad to interference AND the guy who had his kit smashed both got brand new rigs within the hour, but by that point the drama machine was going full steam. Then Steele quit Rotor Riot, and it sounds like the straw that broke the camels back was kotowing to that broken quad situation trying to prevent damage to RR's "brand" due to their association with the event.

#QUADRAMA

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

FWIW apparently both the guy who lost his quad to interference AND the guy who had his kit smashed both got brand new rigs within the hour, but by that point the drama machine was going full steam. Then Steele quit Rotor Riot, and it sounds like the straw that broke the camels back was kotowing to that broken quad situation trying to prevent damage to RR's "brand" due to their association with the event.

#QUADRAMA

Running 200mw is a very stupid, basic mistake, but with some of the switchable power outputs, it can be an easy one to make, especially if you're under pressure to get a quad ready.
Other than that, it was supposed to have been an amazing event. Lots and lots of flying, good organisation, etc.

Steele is insufferable. He's got an ego on the size of a planet and can do no wrong (and never did anything wrong either! Everything is totally legal! Even when he gets arrested for trespassing).

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations for exercises for learning to fly not lovely? I can hover pretty well and follow behind it as I fly and make small turns and stuff, but not sure what I should focus on next. Haven't quite figured out how all the controls combine to get it to do different things.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any recommendations for exercises for learning to fly not lovely? I can hover pretty well and follow behind it as I fly and make small turns and stuff, but not sure what I should focus on next. Haven't quite figured out how all the controls combine to get it to do different things.

Flitetest have a video or two on how to learn flying quads. I'm lazy and can't be bothered to find them for you, but a quick search on Youtube should find them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The flite tests vids are dumb as hell. Just spend the time in a simulator, most have tutorials for super-newbies, but if they don't use Joshua Bardwell's series on learning to fly FPV.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

The flite tests vids are dumb as hell. Just spend the time in a simulator, most have tutorials for super-newbies, but if they don't use Joshua Bardwell's series on learning to fly FPV.

This. I did this and felt very comfortable

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Has anyone picked up the new Sunrise Cicada AIO F4 board yet?
http://www.getfpv.com/electronics/e...ent-sensor.html

PDB, 35A Blheli_S w/ DSHOT, F4 FC, and an OSD all on the same board.
It sounds perfect for me since I run a QAV-X and my stack is absolutely packed solid. Plus I constantly have video noise issues. I have my VTX and camera on filtered power, but every time I have a minor collision or a hard landing even, the noise returns and I have to re-solder all my connections. I get the feeling part of my issue is the nest of wires smashed into that small space. It seems like maybe an AIO would at least clear up the wiring mess a bit, as well as HOPEFULLY have a filter that's capable of dealing with the power from the onboard ESCs.

...or am I just looking to spend more money on the same noisy video?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone picked up the new Sunrise Cicada AIO F4 board yet?
http://www.getfpv.com/electronics/e...ent-sensor.html

PDB, 35A Blheli_S w/ DSHOT, F4 FC, and an OSD all on the same board.
It sounds perfect for me since I run a QAV-X and my stack is absolutely packed solid. Plus I constantly have video noise issues. I have my VTX and camera on filtered power, but every time I have a minor collision or a hard landing even, the noise returns and I have to re-solder all my connections. I get the feeling part of my issue is the nest of wires smashed into that small space. It seems like maybe an AIO would at least clear up the wiring mess a bit, as well as HOPEFULLY have a filter that's capable of dealing with the power from the onboard ESCs.

...or am I just looking to spend more money on the same noisy video?

I haven't even had good luck with the Kiss AIO's and I thought they were known for their quality/service. Of the 4 AIO boards I've bought 0 are in the air and only 1 was a definite fuckup by me. 1 has a twitchy motor, 2 melted 2 FETS off the board mid flight, and 3 is currently in customs limbo in Germany because it arrived DOA and I had to send it back to them.

Now add Eastern quality control/cost cutting into the mix and I can't imagine they will last long. I'm back to individual components. Though I have a Spedix 30a 4in1 that refuses to die. I'd get one of those FC AIO boards if Spedix made it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

I haven't even had good luck with the Kiss AIO's and I thought they were known for their quality/service. Of the 4 AIO boards I've bought 0 are in the air and only 1 was a definite fuckup by me. 1 has a twitchy motor, 2 melted 2 FETS off the board mid flight, and 3 is currently in customs limbo in Germany because it arrived DOA and I had to send it back to them.

Now add Eastern quality control/cost cutting into the mix and I can't imagine they will last long. I'm back to individual components. Though I have a Spedix 30a 4in1 that refuses to die. I'd get one of those FC AIO boards if Spedix made it.

Dang, that's weird. I currently run the Cicada 4-in-1 35A esc and it's been rock solid for me. I just can't seem to get the video quality to stay solid in the event of any disruptions. :/

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Any Dji drone users here also use litchi? I bought an nvidia shield tablet to use but dji go is a terrible app on it and will crash regularly.

I'm just wondering if I use litchi instead will I run into issues?

All I really want is stable video and app performance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

Any Dji drone users here also use litchi? I bought an nvidia shield tablet to use but dji go is a terrible app on it and will crash regularly.

I've heard that the dji android app just isn't very good on some devices. I haven't had any issues using it on ios.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
This would be the preferred option but for me ios is just a little expensive for me.

If I have to bite the bullet I will I guess. But £20 for litchi would be worth it if anyone has used it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

This would be the preferred option but for me ios is just a little expensive for me.

If I have to bite the bullet I will I guess. But £20 for litchi would be worth it if anyone has used it.

I've heard great things about it but I haven't used it yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've used Litchi and it's pretty good. Certainly a fine replacement for Dji Go. The missions are nice. I think you can request a refund within a couple hours on Google Play so buy it if you can fly your drone right after to test it.

The VR on Litchi is pretty entertaining for a few minutes.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bigsteve posted:

I only use Litchi - not only is it more stable than the DJI app, it does not have the same weird issues with height and distance limits. I'm on iOS. All the extra stuff, is sweet. Pano shots, and missions, you can plot everything on your computer and then download it to the device. I don't regret spending the money and haven't used the DJI Go app since.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Anybody here with XM+ receiver? I'm on #3 of these and they have all had the same problem: I bind the TX and RX, fly around just fine, and want to move the RX to another model / create a new model / whatever. On the new model, after doing the bind process, I cannot get the happy green light on the RX. I get a solid red light, with weird occasional flickers of green. I've got D16 mode with channels 1-16 selected, and done all the magical button press tricks, etc, just cannot get the happy green light after binding. Ugh!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FrSky R-XSR looks so nice, it's basically XM+ size, U.FL connectors, diversity and telemetry.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Anybody here with XM+ receiver? I'm on #3 of these and they have all had the same problem: I bind the TX and RX, fly around just fine, and want to move the RX to another model / create a new model / whatever. On the new model, after doing the bind process, I cannot get the happy green light on the RX. I get a solid red light, with weird occasional flickers of green. I've got D16 mode with channels 1-16 selected, and done all the magical button press tricks, etc, just cannot get the happy green light after binding. Ugh!
Mine have never had issues. There's a receiver ID in the model settings that might be loving with you.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 24, 2017

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey I bought a Mavic pro as a bit of a split second decision. Was it a good idea?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TescoBag posted:

Hey I bought a Mavic pro as a bit of a split second decision. Was it a good idea?

I love mine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh look!

Thing seems to work. It didn't catch fire and the STM32 bootloader shows in the device manager when I short the boot pins. Still need to write the firmware port, but I'm done for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh look!

Thing seems to work. It didn't catch fire and the STM32 bootloader shows in the device manager when I short the boot pins. Still need to write the firmware port, but I'm done for today.

hah, badass. What's the full size LED for?