Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Olsen is an interesting player this year and there are basically 2 schools of thoughts about him.

The additions of mccaffery and Samuel who will primarily run shorter routes will either:

1) reduce Olsens targets so much to makes it difficult for him to hit adp value
2) free him up to run deeper routes which could lead to a career year and a bargain at his adp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jota posted:

Just did an auction draft for a 0.5 PPR goon league, tell me what you think:

QB: Matt Ryan ($4)
RB: Todd Gurley ($34) Lamar Miller ($31) CJ Anderson ($14) Ameer Abdullah ($10) Marlon Mack ($2)
WR: Jordy Nelson ($46) Alshon Jeffrey ($14) Cameron Meredith ($2) Brandon Marshall ($12) Willie Snead ($7) Eric Decker ($4) Jeremy Maclin ($3)
TE: Hunter Henry ($1)

How many people in the league, and how many WR slots/flex slots are there?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rotoviz, 4For4, and The Ultimate Draft Kit are my Holy Trinity of fantasy football analytics.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Dunno if this is cool but we need 1 more player in this league here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829121

5th year of a $30 goon keeper league on Yahoo. We lost 3 out of 12 managers during the offseason and 2 are already replaced. If you join you're gonna randomly get one of these:

quote:

Tom Brady (NE - QB) - Round 8, Pick 5 - Can be kept for a 7th round pick (ADP: 2nd round)

Jay Ajayi (Mia - RB) - Round 8, Pick 9 - Can be kept for a 7th round pick (ADP: 1st round)

Michael Thomas (NO - WR) - Round 10, Pick 5 - Can be kept for a 9th round pick (ADP: 2nd round)

but you won't be able to keep anyone else from your salvaged team. It's unconventional, sure, but 2 of the 3 teams were garbage and nobody would have picked them up otherwise.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

when is the draft?

I am interested.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Drunk Nerds posted:

How many people in the league, and how many WR slots/flex slots are there?

12 people, 2RB, 2WR, 1 FLX.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Forever_Peace posted:

This offseason, they interviewed a local beat writer for every single team about things like usage and role, offensive line quality and depth, camp standouts, offensive and defensive philosophy etc.

I've never been a huge believer in football stats but drat do I never, ever trust local beat writers. They come in two flavors: homers or haters.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Butter Hole posted:

So they don't like Olsen? it feels so hard to lock up a good TE this year. Someone reached for Gronk (early second), someone reached for Kelce (early third). trying to stream TE was a nightmare last year. I spent a fifth rounder on Olsen and that seems like a fair price for consistency, but I guess we'll see.

Well, they make an argument that it would be unusual for somebody his age:

quote:

In a normal year, TE3 would require roughly 224 points. A TE doing that at age 32 or older this century has only happened twice, both of which were Tony Gonzalez. He’s also the only TE this century to record more than 114 targets, 80 receptions, or 900 receiving yards in a season at that age, something Olsen was three catches away (in 2015) from doing each of the last three seasons.

Other than Antonio Gates‘ 2014, where he had 12 TDs, Gonzalez is also the only TE at least 32-years old to record even 200 points in a season this century. There are only 27 instances of a 32-year-old-plus TE recording even 500 receiving yards in that time, and 11 of those 27 are Gonzalez and Gates.

And that Olsen differs from Gates and Gonz in that he has been slowing down in the back half of seasons after he hit ~30:

quote:

Something else that really sticks out with Olsen is his declination over the last three seasons in the second half of the year. This is obviously absolutely critical to fantasy success in any league that has playoffs, and we didn’t see this kind of back-half breakdown in Gonzalez nor Gates when they were the ages of 29 to 31, despite overall similar production:

<chart showing stats for 2nd half of seasons for past 3 years vs 1st half of seasons for Olsen, and again for Gates and Gonz. Olsen had nearly a 4-point per-game dropoff that was not present for the other two>

He wasn’t in the top-five weekly TEs any time after Week 6 last season, while we see multiple top-five weeks in the second half of the season from much cheaper options Kyle Rudolph, Martellus Bennett, Eric Ebron, Cameron Brate, Zach Ertz, and Charles Clay.

https://twitter.com/TJHernandez/status/900104044785446914

Over the second half of the year, Olsen was TE10, and in points per game, TE15. It is so hard to justify spending the kind of capital you need to acquire Olsen at a position where abundant options of replacement points are readily available on the waiver wire.

They go on to discuss Olsen's situation this year compared to other TEs that are going later.

There's a lot to like about Olsen, including his target floor, reliable hands, and track record of durability. But it's still a pretty high draft capital.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

And that Olsen differs from Gates and Gonz in that he has been slowing down in the back half of seasons after he hit ~30:

They go on to discuss Olsen's situation this year compared to other TEs that are going later.

There's a lot to like about Olsen, including his target floor, reliable hands, and track record of durability. But it's still a pretty high draft capital.

Huh, that IS useful information. Maybe I'll target Jordan Reed or Jimmy Graham in my next draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Forever_Peace posted:

The problem with this analysis is it doesn't really take into account the situation of the team. By the second half of last year, Cam was beaten to hell and the Panthers as a whole cratered.

I'm leery of him at his current ADP, but I think a lot of the second half regression were due to factors outside his control.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sometime the week before football starts we're drafting for my Charity League.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828867

This league is Cool and Good and features Cool People doing Good Things. I highly recommend playing. It is good fake football.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sataere posted:

The problem with this analysis is it doesn't really take into account the situation of the team. By the second half of last year, Cam was beaten to hell and the Panthers as a whole cratered.

I'm leery of him at his current ADP, but I think a lot of the second half regression were due to factors outside his control.

They used the average of the past 3 years. But you're right that a lot of that was last year. Looks like for his age 29 and 30 seasons, the 2nd-half drop was "only" 2 points per game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

CompeAnansi posted:

Rate my team! (12 Teams - 0.5PPR, 2RB, 2WR, 1 FLX)

QB: Tom Brady ($20)
RB: LeSean McCoy ($62), Leonard Fournette ($26), Bilal Powell ($13), Terrance West ($3), Alvin Kamara ($1)
WR: Keenan Allen ($23), Larry Fitzgerald ($15), Emmanuel Sanders ($9), Pierre Garcon ($7), Jordan Matthews ($1)
TE: Travis Kelce ($18)
K: Dan Bailey ($1)
D: Pittsburg ($1)

Self-quoting myself on the new page. I was initially targeting DJ or Bell, but they both went for $80, so I had to settle for McCoy. But, my main worry is Fournette's ankle. I thought I was getting a deal on him (I had him projected as worth $33), but I never had any intention of targeting him since he was going for more than that in mocks, so I hadn't read up on his injury situation at all. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 25, 2017

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm stuck in an 8 man league that can't attract more people. I was thinking to make it so everyone doesn't have a superteam, we'd do the following.

2QB/2RB/3WR/2TE/Def/1 IDP

Are there any other tactics we can use to make this interesting?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

OxySnake posted:

when is the draft?

I am interested.

September 6th @ 9PM EDT

:getin:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

internet inc posted:

September 6th @ 9PM EDT

:getin:

Sign me up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coronaball posted:

No Bench

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CompeAnansi posted:

Self-quoting myself on the new page. I was initially targeting DJ or Bell, but they both went for $80, so I had to settle for McCoy. But, my main worry is Fournette's ankle. I thought I was getting a deal on him (I had him projected as worth $33), but I never had any intention of targeting him since he was going for more than that in mocks, so I hadn't read up on his injury situation at all. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

How many teams in your league? How many WR slots and flex slots are there?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Draft Jimmy Graham, you nerds

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Draft Jimmy Graham, you nerds

gently caress you, dad! You're not the boss of me!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

this is Kyle Rudolph's year!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

coronaball posted:

I'm stuck in an 8 man league that can't attract more people. I was thinking to make it so everyone doesn't have a superteam, we'd do the following.

2QB/2RB/3WR/2TE/Def/1 IDP

Expanding the lineup is definitely one way to do it. I'd basically add 1 RB, 1 WR and probably a W/T flex and things even out a good bit. Even a QB or Superflex is fine, I'd think. You could limit the bench of you wanted to, that can force interesting choices.

I don't think adding 1 IDP does much of anything. I'm in a 12 teamer that does 4 and even that still leaves good options open.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Am I crazy to punt on WRs in a 12 man No PPR league? Just go hard on RBs. My mocks have me starting something like Crowder & Decker or Martavis Bryant & Cooper Kupp and I feel pretty okay about that considering the league.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

Am I crazy to punt on WRs in a 12 man No PPR league? Just go hard on RBs. My mocks have me starting something like Crowder & Decker or Martavis Bryant & Cooper Kupp and I feel pretty okay about that considering the league.

Those are really bad WR1s and 2s in no PPR.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

RVProfootballer posted:

Those are really bad WR1s and 2s in no PPR.

WRs just seem so devalued in no PPR compared to RBs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

Yeah, it's true, I just don't know what caliber of RBs you're getting to make up for such weak WRs.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, it's true, I just don't know what caliber of RBs you're getting to make up for such weak WRs.

Mocks I'm running have me getting something like (#12 out of 12):

RB: DeMarco Murray
RB: Jay Ayaji
FLEX: Mark Ingram

CJ Anderson
Doug Martin

Then, making sure to handcuff Murray & Martin. Getting a higher TE like Graham or Walker/Bennett.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

89 posted:

Yes they're devalued, but I'd still target upside WRs around the third round. Keenan Allen and Terrell Pryor can give you some theoretically high ceilings to pair with guys like Crowder, Snead, and maybe even Cobb and Maclin much later in the draft.

Kupp, M. Bryant, and even Decker could prove unstartable by week 4.

E: I'm looking at your exact strategy in my twelve team home league. Skip Anderson and Martin. Handcuffs just cap upside, get unexciting WRs and take fliers late in the draft.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 25, 2017

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Why would Martavis be unstartable unless he gets suspended again? He should be a WR2 when Pit is home and a flex type when they are away (since Big Bens home/road splits are so drastic.) He doesn't belong in the same sentence as those other two.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Ayudo posted:

Yes they're devalued, but I'd still target upside WRs around the third round. Keenan Allen and Terrell Pryor can give you some theoretically high ceilings to pair with guys like Crowder, Snead, and maybe even Cobb and Maclin much later in the draft.

Kupp, M. Bryant, and even Decker could prove unstartable by week 4.

E: I'm looking at your exact strategy in my twelve team home league. Skip Anderson and Martin. Handcuffs just cap upside, get unexciting WRs and take fliers late in the draft.

For example, of course this is drafting against AI, but this is a mock I just did with my strategy I have:

QB: Jameis Winston
RB: Devonta Freeman
RB: DeMarco Murray
WR: Alshon Jeffrey
WR: Rishard Matthews
TE: Jimmy Graham
FLEX: Mark Ingram

Bench:
Frank Gore
Doug Martin
Jacquizz Rodgers
Robby Anderson
Cooper Kupp
Marquis Lee

Now, if I had been like, eh whatever on Doug Martin/Rodgers, my WR2 would end up being Tyrell Williams instead of Rishard Matthews.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

Why would Martavis be unstartable unless he gets suspended again? He should be a WR2 when Pit is home and a flex type when they are away (since Big Bens home/road splits are so drastic.) He doesn't belong in the same sentence as those other two.

I'm not sure Decker should be considered unexciting. He's been a low end WR1 / high end WR2 for most of his career. Everyone just forgot that because he was hurt last year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Alternatively, I'm drafting with alcoholics, so I can probably go RB heavy and still end up stealing WRs.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

coronaball posted:

Bryant's capacity for failure should be pretty self evident. Don't take him as your first WR.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
hey guys good news

https://twitter.com/JasonCole62/status/901178252450037760

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Changing my dynasty draft as we speak

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

89 posted:

For example, of course this is drafting against AI, but this is a mock I just did with my strategy I have:

I don't hate the team composition. We differ on player evaluation, but it looks like your grabbing players about where I would. Drafting from the turn is always tough because you've got to take what you're given.

The bottom of your bench is the only thing I really don't like. I think I'd rather have RB fliers, but you'll probably be churning those guys either way.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In a 1 keeper 14 team standard league, someone is offering me Antonio Brown for my #1 pick. There are no round penalties. I already have Michael Thomas as my keeper. If I do this, I won't pick again until #28, so my WRs will be great but my RBs will likely suck. At #1 I'm probably getting Melvin Gordon/Jay Ajayi if I stay pat.

At first he was offering to swap picks (I get Brown and pick 13 while he gets pick 1 and 28), but he seems to have changed his mind on that.

Am I crazy for turning this down? As much as I would like having a Brown/Thomas combo, I'm weary of having two RB2s or worse as my RB core.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I think I would like Michael Thomas + Gordon / Ajayi then AB + the 28th overall pick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

would you get to keep AB indefinitely? If so would he always cost you a first round pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Drunk Nerds posted:

How many teams in your league? How many WR slots and flex slots are there?

Everything was in the quoted post except teams: 12 teams.

• Locked thread