Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doesn't he modify the helmet for his glider suit?

I'm pretty sure I remember him having a collection of weird masks or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BiggerBoat posted:

So my kid's old enough now and last night we watched Spiderman.

He loving loved it. I hadn't seen it in years and was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. Holds up fairly well. There's a lot of corniness, plot holes and cheese but it all still seemed to fit tonally. I didn't even mind the goblin costume. Maybe it was just seeing it through the fresh eyes of a 6 year old that helped me to not view it through my normal cynical lens but it was fun.

We're gonna give Batman 89 a whirl this weekend and Superman 78 if I can find it at a library. Maybe Spiderman 2 as well since he liked this one so much. I haven't seen 89 Batman in forever. Is there anything in it that's too much for a 6 year old? Only thing I remember is the joy buzzer scene but he's seen worse. He was a little scared of Goblin so I'm slightly concerned about Joker.

The "Mirror!" scene, the part where Joker acts like his face is melting, and "Wanna get nuts!?" might be a bit intense.

What about Batman 66'? He'd love that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

purple death ray posted:

Where the poo poo did Norman get that mask in Spider-Man anyway

His weapons division. Which, yeah, makes no sense; anymore than pumpkin bombs. Someone asked in a Cracked article why Norman didn't just use the "turns people into skeletons" bombs he used at the parade on Spiderman during the apartment fire and why the wrestling promoter didn't just hire Peter to be the new Bonesaw.

Like I said, movie has a few holes in it but I enjoyed it after all these years and it's always fun to watch something you've seen before and enjoyed with a fresh audience, especially a kid.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What about Batman 66'? He'd love that.

He did. He loving died laughing at the shark attack part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, this Netflix Deathnote is terrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Aw hell did they gently caress up the chip scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You don't need the Netflix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no previous exposure to Deathnote.

This actually got way better about a third of the way in.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

I have no previous exposure to Deathnote.

This actually got way better about a third of the way in.

The original took a nosedive about that far in

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I actually continue to be surprised by how well Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up. They were some good superhero films. I'm sad Raimi couldn't bring it home for the end of the trilogy. Granted the only superhero trilogy I can think of that brought it home was Captain America.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Spider-Man 3 is better than any of the Captain America movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbU4I3IE0Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zpoqkGvZAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmdyydaGL-c

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

You are allowed your wrong opinion

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I actually continue to be surprised by how well Spider-Man 1 and 2 hold up. They were some good superhero films. I'm sad Raimi couldn't bring it home for the end of the trilogy. Granted the only superhero trilogy I can think of that brought it home was Captain America.

Nolan Batman?

But yeah. I'm hoping I still have my SM2 DVD somewhere because, like you, I was sort of surprised how good SM1 was after not seeing it for like 10 years and I'm sure my son would dig seeing Doc Ock. They were good. As an adult, I liked the Webb movies better but really dug the "aw shucks" sort of charm and silver age sensibility of what Raimi pulled off, cheesiness and all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fruit on the bottom posted:

The original took a nosedive about that far in

I ended up liking it and discovered it was directed by Adam Wingard when the credits rolled. It definitely leaves it open for a follow up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I didn't care for the anime, but the core concept of a cat-and-mouse thriller of two geniuses pitted against one another to see who outsmarts the other was interesting.

The Netflix movie is about two idiots pitted against one another to see who fucks up worse. And it's so goddamn slow. It felt twice as long as it was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's how anime is paced. Excruciatingly slow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BiggerBoat posted:

Nolan Batman?

I really did not enjoy Rises.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

That's how anime is paced. Excruciatingly slow.

That's the only part the movie got right.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
please stop making me think about the raimi spider-man movies it removes a little bit of joy from my life every time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

please stop making me think about the raimi spider-man movies it removes a little bit of joy from my life every time

Remember that one time the dude who played Robbie Robertson didn't know how to pronounce the word "photography" and somehow it made it into the final cut of the third film?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Remember that one time the dude who played Robbie Robertson didn't know how to pronounce the word "photography" and somehow it made it into the final cut of the third film?

remember how all three of those loving movies follow the exact same plot structure ending with mary jane being held hostage and Spider-Man accidentally murdering his villain

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Does he take a potato chip AND EAT IT?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVH09n9CBR8

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Does he take a potato chip AND EAT IT?

no there's zero scenes from the original replicated in any way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No potato chip?

Garbage adaptation

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah thinking about good superhero movies makes it a bit harder to appreciate bad modern ones for me too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just watched Death Note and it feels weirdly paced. Like, parts of it feel hyper-compressed, like it should have been several episodes in a series, but the rest feels like it drags. Establishing Kira and his effect on the world, and Light and L's rivalry, and organically introducing and demonstrating the rules of the book, etc. probably would have worked better as a 7-8 episode series.

Despite its flaws, it's good, though. Much better than the ridiculously convoluted anime about two overly verbose psychopaths monologuing at each other for episode after episode after episode after episode about their powers of deductive reasoning (and also Light's super hot, submissive pop-star waifu).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Strip away the hyperconvoluted plots and over the top dramatics and I'm not sure what appeal you have left.

Glad people are enjoying the movie, but it sounds like this one isn't for me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Strip away the hyperconvoluted plots and over the top dramatics and I'm not sure what appeal you have left.

I'm okay with a convoluted plot, but the Death Note anime was, like, three times as long as it really needed to be, and kept introducing characters and plot elements long after it should have started wrapping things up. Then again, simplicity and brevity aren't really something animes do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just can't take those incredibly goofy death specter or whatever they are designs seriously at all. They look like nightmare before christmas fan characters.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

You have Masi Oka from Heroes fame in about 5 seconds of screentime as an unnamed Japanese detective.

It's really sad. He used to control time and space. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I just can't take those incredibly goofy death specter or whatever they are designs seriously at all. They look like nightmare before christmas fan characters.

They're not really supposed to be taken seriously, that's kind of the point. Like they look ridiculous but they're also largely silly and comical and the entire point is that the only significant one is basically using this entire thing as a troll because he's bored as hell.

It really helps to remember that the author's previous work was (most likely since psuedonym) a goofy comedy manga which basically is One Punch Man before One Punch Man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why are yall talking about Death Note in the movie thread anyway

Is the Netflix thing a movie and I didn't realize?

E: I guess it's just a movie. I assume everything on Netflix is a series, sorry

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Netflix actually started with movies

[CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE: :eng101: OR :goonsay:]

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

Why are yall talking about Death Note in the movie thread anyway

Is the Netflix thing a movie and I didn't realize?

E: I guess it's just a movie. I assume everything on Netflix is a series, sorry

It's a movie that feels like a Cliffs Notes version of a series*. Having watched it, I feel like I've seen an extended trailer for a show I'm really looking forward to watching.

* But not the series it's adapted from.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So Batman 89's a no go for my six year old.

Scared the Christ out of him and I'd actually forgotten how violent it really was, at least on the front end. We made it about 1/4 of the way through. Shame because I was appreciating certain parts of it. But then again, also found myself recalling why I never cared for it that much.

What a really, really odd film that is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

So Batman 89's a no go for my six year old.

Scared the Christ out of him and I'd actually forgotten how violent it really was, at least on the front end. We made it about 1/4 of the way through. Shame because I was appreciating certain parts of it. But then again, also found myself recalling why I never cared for it that much.

What a really, really odd film that is.

Has he seen the Adam West/Burt Ward animated film that came out about a year ago? I think it is called Return of the Caped Crusader. That poo poo is awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Has he seen the Adam West/Burt Ward animated film that came out about a year ago? I think it is called Return of the Caped Crusader. That poo poo is awesome.

NO but he watched the 66 movie and it cracked him the gently caress up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

You have Masi Oka from Heroes fame in about 5 seconds of screentime as an unnamed Japanese detective.

LoL, I thought that was him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jamesman posted:

Season 1 of Heroes was so good. I've rewatched it 3 times over now. Will probably again some time before the year's over.

• Locked thread