Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spf3million posted:

I live in Concord and have a job offer in Sacramento. How bad of an idea would it be to commute via the Capital Corridor Amtrak daily?

I commuted from Sacramento to Fairfield via amtrak. It was pretty ok. You have to accept that you're going to be late at times (genrrally afternoons), but not as much as people seem to think. They have beer on the train, which is nice.
Also, get a monthly pass, save a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

When/if people see stuff online about how bad traffic is out here, do people think it's an exaggeration?

Welcome to LA and our many freeways! Which ones do you prefer? Which route did you take to get here? Did you know you could take this route instead? Did you watch the Kardashians last night??

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey stop that we've basically stopped caring about the Kardashians (hopefully

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Welcome to LA and our many freeways! Which ones do you prefer? Which route did you take to get here? Did you know you could take this route instead? Did you watch the Kardashians last night??

I am dragging route talk up north because it sure beats talking to co-workers about their ex-wife, pickup trucks, or what they want to do to the new receptionist.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the nice thing with new technology is that you can just bring up google maps and show how bad the traffic is right now.

And there are mechanisms that show traffic trends for a given time of day, so you can show that it's bad ALL THE TIME

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

spf3million posted:

I live in Concord and have a job offer in Sacramento. How bad of an idea would it be to commute via the Capital Corridor Amtrak daily?

If the job is in downtown sac, definitely. You could walk/bike or take a very short light rail ride from the station. And you would save on parking (assuming your employer doesn't pay for that)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Martinez parking lot may fill up before you get there but other than that expect some sort of delay 2x per week as they share tracks with Union Pacific and hit people a lot. Also you can get the per trip costs down by getting a monthly pass for $320 for Mtz to Sac. At least you are going reverse-commute so that will make things much much much easier. Amtrak wifi will block anything you want to access so count on hotspotting your phone the entire way.

I am glad I only have to take Sac to Oak once a week. Taking it Daily is just too drat long at 1865 speeds and obnoxious since that train is completely full even at 6:20 am now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

If LA didn't have freeways and traffic then there would be literally nothing to talk about when you meet new people in LA.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

withak posted:

If LA didn't have freeways and traffic then there would be literally nothing to talk about when you meet new people in LA.

You could talk about how much we dislike outsiders (outsiders being anyone who moved to the city six months or more after you did)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

withak posted:

Mutual hatred of Giants fans?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spf3million posted:

what up fellow Concordite. Where in concord are you, because while I have no idea about the train, commuting to martinez daily for jury duty for three weeks a few months ago kind of sucked. And the parking in martinez fills up fast because of all the jurors and whatnot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You could talk about how much we dislike outsiders (outsiders being anyone who moved to the city six months or more after you did)

California is probably the least prone to this. Every other goddamn state does the dumb "sorry were all full har har" joke

KoB
May 1, 2009
Thats because theyre all upset about Californians flooding their states and driving up prices.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

California is probably the least prone to this. Every other goddamn state does the dumb "sorry were all full har har" joke

yep

californians love migrants and immigrants and what not

more roommates to split the ridiculous rent with

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

withak posted:

ask them if they've had in-n-out yet

make sure they have a copy of the list to give tourists

to be honest, besides those hellish freeways, I don't think I've ever hit any other item on that list

I may have driven through chatsworth once, however

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

el dorito posted:

to be honest, besides those hellish freeways, I don't think I've ever hit any other item on that list

Oh THAT's the California Incline.

I still associate everything from the GTAV map.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

el dorito posted:

yep

californians love migrants and immigrants and what not

more roommates to split the ridiculous rent with

I tend to be keener or immigrants than easterners, but maybe that's because of my neighborhood, which is gradually getting filled with a mixture of wealthy and old (therefore prone to nimby-ism and racism) people from Ohio. When I got the job before last, my boss (a late-50s Bostoner) took the time to tell me how black people are naturally predisposed to crime and above-average physical fitness. Seems more common in Catholic-raised protestant converts too, for some reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

I meant a new acquaintance in LA, not someone new to LA. IME every conversation in LA starts out with how bad traffic was on the way here.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

el dorito posted:

Just looking at that list gives me nightmares

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Beverly Connection isnt bad now, though, and it wasnt terrible in the 90s thanks to its movie theatre.

It has a Target, Souplantation and a coffee place now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

The Beverly Connection isnt bad now, though, and it wasnt terrible in the 90s thanks to its movie theatre.

It has a Target, Souplantation and a coffee place now.

you are not convincing anyone with those stores

why not mention a sears or jc penney while you're at it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

el dorito posted:

you are not convincing anyone with those stores

why not mention a sears or jc penney while you're at it
The gem is really the TimeWarner/Spectrum Cable branch. You can drop off your defective cable box while getting lunch!

It also has a Ralphs attached to it, like a conjoined twin.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So I was planning to fly to LA, to hang around and take in some sights for a week or so. Some online guides recommend renting a car, but you guys are making it seem like a terrible idea? How hosed am I if I just want to drive to some touristy places during the day and avoid rush hours?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

woodenchicken posted:

So I was planning to fly to LA, to hang around and take in some sights for a week or so. Some online guides recommend renting a car, but you guys are making it seem like a terrible idea? How hosed am I if I just want to drive to some touristy places during the day and avoid rush hours?

You might want to crosspost in the los angeles thread.

Having a car is essential, but it's equally important to know how long it will take to get from one place to another.

If you are crossing downtown all the time, then you will spend a lot of time in traffic. If you plan your trip right, you can avoid that mess.

Google maps can tell you how bad traffic usually is, given a date in the future.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

also, in the last few years our public transportation has gone from terrible even by US standards to somewhere between bad and mediocre by US standards

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

woodenchicken posted:

Some online guides recommend renting a car, but you guys are making it seem like a terrible idea? How hosed am I if I just want to drive to some touristy places during the day and avoid rush hours?
You'd likely be more hosed without the car, unless you're staying in, like, Downtown and have access to the rail/subway lines to hit Universal, Hollywood, Anaheim, or SD county (via metrolink or amtrak).

The car will let you do poo poo like go to the beach, walk around Santa Monica, visit UCLA and grab some Diddy Riese ice cream cookie sandwiches , then go to dinner somewhere or go to LACMA without having to take 6 busses. Without it, you're confined to the touristy hub you hit more or less.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

woodenchicken posted:

Driving is the worst except for all the other options.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

Driving is the worst except for all the other options.

Word

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

This image makes me both nostalgic and angry.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Current California Status: Too loving Hot, Everywhere

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I hate this. That is all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah, these record-breaking temperatures up here in the Bay Area is distinctly uncool. Is the same poo poo happening in SoCal?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Haha 78 degrees at 8 am this morning. What coast am I on?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Elyv posted:

Yeah, these record-breaking temperatures up here in the Bay Area is distinctly uncool. Is the same poo poo happening in SoCal?

Based on my friends facebooks, yes.
I picked a great week to go on vacation, though I bet even with my thermostat set for 85, my electric bill is gonna be insane.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Elyv posted:

In San Diego, and yep. Hit 104 at the wunderground station closest to me. A new record!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It was 106 yesterday in San Francisco, which broke the ALL TIME high there by three degrees (the hottest it was ever recording in SF was 103).

gently caress this heat.

...although weather-wise, this is Easy Mode compared to what coastal Texas is going through, so I'm not going to complain too much.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Pray for me – I'm leaving the coast to spend all weekend in Modesto with the in-laws. I can at least hope the heat will render me unconscious until it's time to come home.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Elyv posted:

Been 100+ for like a month straight.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 2, 2017

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

FreshFeesh posted:

Pray for me – I'm leaving the coast to spend all weekend in Modesto with the in-laws. I can at least hope the heat will render me unconscious until it's time to come home.

goondolances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elyv posted:

Was 118 yesterday so it's not all that bad

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 2, 2017

• Locked thread