Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
If you go full impulse while you're at Warp do you go faster tha- :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mental Hospitality posted:

Imagine all these Starfleet vessels encountering weird space-time phenomenon for the entirety of their missions. They all rendevouz back at earth, the crew younger or older than they should be, not even knowing what loving day it is. Probably a logistical/strategic nightmare.

Hell, the U.S.S Bozeman was caught in a time loop for how long? They never did complete their mission, then they had to return to earth where all their loved ones had died and why do we do with the ship and the crew...

I think I've seen this used at least once to explain how Alexander can be as old as he is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

vermin posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

vermin posted:

You destabilize your warp field by trying to move relative to it and get shredded. :techno:

After The War posted:

I think I've seen this used at least once to explain how Alexander can be as old as he is.

Alternatively: 'he's an alien'.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Alternatively: 'he's an alien'.

Seriously, it's nothing on the Jem'Hadar or Ocampa

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shadok posted:

Here's my list of favourites.

S2E18 "Death Wish"
S2E23 "The Thaw"
S3E23 "Distant Origin"
S3E25 "Worst Case Scenario"
S3E26 "Scorpion"
S4E01 "Scorpion, Part II"
S4E04 "Nemesis"
S4E08 "Year of Hell"
S4E09 "Year of Hell, Part II"
S4E23 "Living Witness"
S5E06 "Timeless"
S5E09 "Thirty Days"
S5E10 "Counterpoint"
S5E26 "Equinox"
S6E01 "Equinox, Part II"
S6E10 "Pathfinder"
S6E18 "Ashes to Ashes"
S6E19 "Child's Play"
S6E20 "Good Shepherd"
S6E24 "Life Line"
S7E05 "Critical Care"

GOOFY, MOSTLY DOCTOR-CENTRED EPISODES
S4E14 "Message in a Bottle"
S5E12 "Bride of Chaotica"
S6E04 "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy"
S6E13 "Virtuoso"
S6E21 "Live Fast and Prosper"

Thanks!

So far I vaguely recall Death Wish and always enjoyed John de Lancie. But I hadn't ever seen The Thaw and getting to see Michael McKean torture Harry Kim is fantastic and I love it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Thaw is good fun. Feels like a bad TOS episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

shadok posted:

In the latest installation of "The best Star Trek coming this fall isn't Star Trek", here's an image from an upcoming episode of "Black Mirror":

Wtf

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

I'm assuming something absolutely horrible happens to them all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also it's not even funny, that legitimately looks more like a modern day TOS prequel than Discovery does.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing that everybody is making star trek except for Paramount and CBS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's like, okay, we give up, you guys aren't gonna do anything with this poo poo, and it's a cultural property at this point so... let's go nuts with Trek!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I don't even know what the hell is happening with Star Trek 4(not that one). Only thing I've seen is that the script is being written but that could mean anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Beyond underperformed (because Paramount botched the marketing) and IIRC only Quinto and Pine are contracted for another. Karl Urban hasn't given a concrete answer on whether he'd do another and I haven't heard about a script being written yet, only that they wanted it to involve George Kirk.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

It's the furthest thing from a goofy episode and an absolute prime Voyager example of "And then it was never mentioned again" but I remember really liking "Latent Image." Now that I think about it it's takes pretty strong cues from "Clues" but Picardo carries the episode phenomenally and is completely worth seeing, even as just a stand alone episode.

Yeah, I'm certainly not claiming my list is anything but personal and subjective. "Latent Image" is one I hesitated over because the premise is great but (to me) the execution just wasn't quite there, especially the resolution. On the other hand, I put "Thirty Days" on the list even though it's probably not rated by most people, I just really like it.

:siren: OH poo poo I TOTALLY FORGOT TO PUT "MELD" ON THE LIST. :siren:

S2E16 "Meld" - GUEST STARRING BRAD DOURIF

And if you should enjoy "Meld", then it might be worth watching the two-parter "Basics" which otherwise I wouldn't rate, but Brad Dourif reprises his role and the parts he's in are really good.

S2E26 "Basics"
S3E01 "Basics, Part II"

Other close ones:

S2E17 "Dreadnought" - Possibly the best B'Elanna episode, battle of wits between Torres and her AI counterpart is kind of fun
S3E22 "Real Life" - Doctor shenanigans as he tries ineptly to improve his understanding of the human condition, ending is kind of hacky
S3E24 "'Displaced" - Kind of fun trying to figure out what is going on
S5E01 "Night" - Absolutely intriguing beginning, second half feels like it was written by someone else
S5E04 "In the Flesh" - Kind of interesting premise but resolution unexciting and it doesn't really fit in continuity for spoilery reasons
S5E18 "Course: Oblivion" - Really out-there premise, good mystery, kind of weird, I really like it but I don't love it, and to get the full impact you have to have seen an earlier episode which isn't great
S5E20 "Think Tank" - Not a bad premise, hilarious cameo, falls a little flat
S5E24 "Relativity" - Not a bad premise, Bruce McGill is great, time travel hijinks, kind of lacks peril
S6E12 "Blink of an Eye" - Good sci-fi premise, pretty good execution
S6E15 "Tsunkatse" - MUST SEE BECAUSE THIS IS THE WWF SMACKDOWN CROSSOVER EPISODE WITH THE ROCK, IDEALLY GET HAMMERED OR HIGH FIRST
S6E25 "The Haunting of Deck Twelve" - Not that great a story but the framing mechanism is charming
S7E07 "Body and Soul" - Doctor/Seven shenanigans, a little too goofy even for me
S7E13 "Repentance" - A good old-fashioned Star Trek morality play, but just a little too heavy-handed
S7E14 "Prophecy" - The Klingon generation ship idea is neat but the story overall is a little meh
S7E15 "The Void" - Cute premise, falls a little flat in execution
S7E20 "Author, Author" - Probably should have been on my list of goofy Doctor episodes

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

only that they wanted it to involve George Kirk.

Which I'm pretty sure was just made-up last-minute bullshit to generate publicity for Beyond before its release

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Which I'm pretty sure was just made-up last-minute bullshit to generate publicity for Beyond before its release

No, Hemsworth confirmed back in January that he had heard the story pitch and that it sounded "amazing."

In April, though, Quinto said there was no guarantee of a fourth movie because of scheduling issues (and Paramount being in a considerable amount of financial pain right now).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Beyond underperformed (because Paramount botched the marketing) and IIRC only Quinto and Pine are contracted for another. Karl Urban hasn't given a concrete answer on whether he'd do another and I haven't heard about a script being written yet, only that they wanted it to involve George Kirk.

Pegg hinted in a tweet last December that he and Jung were working on the script. But there's been no movement since then.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
S3E23 "Distant Origin" - Dinosaurs evolved to be republicans and left earth? Ok

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So I tried showing my girlfriend Star Trek. She just wanted to jump in to wherever I was on my watch without context, which was "The Seige of AR-whatever." I thought, sure, that's a a pretty good one.

I got an embarrassing open-mouthed WTF stare during the cold open of Rom singing jazz in Vic Fontaine's lounge, followed by instant sleep during the hushed grim war planet scenes. So basically she now thinks DS9 is a low-budget Starship Troopers ripoff with singing aliens, not sure if I'll ever get her back.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

S3E23 "Distant Origin" - Dinosaurs evolved to be republicans and left earth? Ok

Sorry, I know that one's maybe not for everyone. I've always just kind of liked it for the look of the Voth and their city-ship, for the "why not" sci-fi premise, and for the homage to the good old-fashioned Star Trek analogy episodes that were about as subtle as a brick to the balls. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT EVOLUTION, GET IT? GET IT?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So I tried showing my girlfriend Star Trek. She just wanted to jump in to wherever I was on my watch without context, which was "The Seige of AR-whatever." I thought, sure, that's a a pretty good one.

I got an embarrassing open-mouthed WTF stare during the cold open of Rom singing jazz in Vic Fontaine's lounge, followed by instant sleep during the hushed grim war planet scenes. So basically she now thinks DS9 is a low-budget Starship Troopers ripoff with singing aliens, not sure if I'll ever get her back.
I realize the :females: opinion may have been set in stone but I imagine you could explain that she leapt in in the middle of a serial story and as such this episode was not terribly typical.

As for the time fuckery I thought that was part of why Stardates were a thing at all. They probably also help iron out weird distinctions in cultural timekeeping systems, which might not be a big thing for the fleet -- since I imagine every cadet at SFA learns hewmon dating systems, if you know what I mean -- but is probably a factor for various other groups. I'm imagining Picard getting an update that the next 30 stardates are the observed month of Ramadan, with the third week being the Feast of Surak and the last three days overlapping with the Klingon Rite of the Blood Ocean.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah that's, an incredibly good episode when you reach it after the rest of DS9, and a tremendously bad place to introduce someone to Trek, especially if they've seen anything like nuBSG or even the most generic modern sci-fi. Even if they haven't, it's schlocky in the extreme without any context.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shadok posted:

Sorry, I know that one's maybe not for everyone. I've always just kind of liked it for the look of the Voth and their city-ship, for the "why not" sci-fi premise, and for the homage to the good old-fashioned Star Trek analogy episodes that were about as subtle as a brick to the balls. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT EVOLUTION, GET IT? GET IT?

nah it's fine, it's probably better than that terrible Picard one where they realize everyone in the universe evolved on one planet never to be spoken of again or whatever it was

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

nah it's fine, it's probably better than that terrible Picard one where they realize everyone in the universe evolved on one planet never to be spoken of again or whatever it was

Actually, an ancient alien played by Salome Jens created every humanoid species in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants by spewing their genes in every direction. DS9 opened up the potential for a hilarious retcon there, but they never picked up on it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Did Star Trek do Prometheus better than Prometheus?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hard to say, that episode was pretty crappy itself.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Actually, an ancient alien played by Salome Jens created every humanoid species in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants by spewing their genes in every direction.

But somehow genetically incorporating a HJSplit MPEG file first.

Yeah, gently caress that episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

shadok posted:

But somehow genetically incorporating a HJSplit MPEG file first.

Yeah, gently caress that episode.

Their people are biologically determined for one purpose alone, to sense the compatibility of codecs

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

skasion posted:

Actually, an ancient alien played by Salome Jens created every humanoid species in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants by spewing their genes in every direction. DS9 opened up the potential for a hilarious retcon there, but they never picked up on it.

It's been a while since I last watched through DS9, what do you mean?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I appreciate that they at least attempted to explain why every alien has two arms and two legs.

And man it was bad luck for the Kazon that they managed to capture Voyager and the one crew member they didn't account for turned out to be a psycho killer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG and DS9 had a soundstage where most of the cave action happened. I don't remember the stage number but the cast and crew called it "Planet Hell" because the hot lighting and lovely ventilation made it suck to work in.

I can imagine, tons of painted Styrofoam under hot lights.

Timby posted:

I get that, now, but read what you posted and tell me how it makes any sense :v:

I admit, it was clunky on purpose, but it probably would have made more sense if I had formatted it as "the Kirk Fight/Power Rangers HQ Rock".

Friend of mines artists interpretation of Sub Rosa

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nullsmack posted:

Salome Jens was both the Female Changeling in DS9, and the ancient old-rear end alien in that holographic projection in The Chase.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nullsmack posted:

Salome Jens is the female changeling as well, and her story in this episode is weirdly echoed by the Founders sending out 100 kids to all corners of the galaxy to see what would happen.

FuturePastNow posted:

I appreciate that they at least attempted to explain why every alien has two arms and two legs.

TOS already offered two "explanations" for this which were both equally stupid: the kind of eternal return idea in Miri where hey, the universe is a big place and I'm sure if you go far enough you're *eventually* gonna find a planet which looks just like a studio backlot populated by actors, and the Law of Parallel Planetary Development from Omega Glory (iirc) which lays out a truly marvelous explanation for why America is in space, but which the script is too stupid to contain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FuturePastNow posted:

And man it was bad luck for the Kazon that they managed to capture Voyager and the one crew member they didn't account for turned out to be a psycho killer.

It explains it in a way that only makes sense if you've vaguely heard of that "DNA" stuff and have no idea how evolution actually works

According to the premise of the episode, we're still more closely related to sea slugs than klingons

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Timby posted:

Salome Jens was both the Female Changeling in DS9, and the ancient old-rear end alien in that holographic projection in The Chase.

skasion posted:

Salome Jens is the female changeling as well, and her story in this episode is weirdly echoed by the Founders sending out 100 kids to all corners of the galaxy to see what would happen.

Oh wow, I didn't actually know this. I haven't seen these episodes close enough together to connect that was the same person playing those roles.
That would've been interesting if they had gone that way, but maybe embedding it a little too much in the lore? The TNG episode was a bit of a throwaway that really didn't affect anything. Making it about aliens that still exist might've thrown things way off the rails really fast.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

vermin posted:

Did Star Trek do Prometheus better than Prometheus?

lol, no

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I introduced my ex-girlfriend to Star Trek via A Piece of the Action and she loved it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching First Contact. The doctors just said Code Blue because they have a patient wearing blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's the episode that's a pain to google because it shares a name with a movie