Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when my phone snags onto some distant-enough-to-be-horrible wi-fi, at random, in the middle of things.

Like, I'm reasonably sure there's no "just ignore all wi-fi unless it is these specific wi-fi spots" option, but I've completely blanked on options before. Plus, I'm reasonably sure half the issue is that xfinity wifi nodes are everywhere.

I hate this too. I pass several eduroam (a world-wide wifi thing that universities and research institutes use so you only ever need a single login/password wherever you are) hotspots on the way to work and it always screws up whatever I was browsing at the time for a few seconds. There should be something that prevents you from logging in if you're moving faster than 10mph.

WampaLord posted:

Receipts for small purchases like lunch. No, I don't want them, stop handing them to me by default, I will just throw it away.

I hate this too, but there are people I've known who are obsessive about collecting receipts for no apparent reason. Like if you're going to get reimbursed for stuff for work purposes, it makes sense but keeping filing cabinets full of receipts for every day purchases is just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Also: when I'm streaming a movie and the connection drops and it forgets where I was so I have to fast forward (and hope it doesn't drop again) all the way. It just happened to me in the last 5 minutes of a 2 hour movie. Whoever codes this app really needs to add a "jump to (time)" feature or something like that, or let you drag the thing to the right time like you can on youtube.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate this too. I pass several eduroam (a world-wide wifi thing that universities and research institutes use so you only ever need a single login/password wherever you are) hotspots on the way to work and it always screws up whatever I was browsing at the time for a few seconds. There should be something that prevents you from logging in if you're moving faster than 10mph.

I hate this too, but there are people I've known who are obsessive about collecting receipts for no apparent reason. Like if you're going to get reimbursed for stuff for work purposes, it makes sense but keeping filing cabinets full of receipts for every day purchases is just weird.

I was told to do this by my mom. I guess she does it, which kind of weirds me out. I imagine her going into a tax service and just emptying a year's worth of Panera and grocery store receipts on the desk.

I can't even imagine what a year's worth of receipts would look like in my life. Terrifying, looming, like a snow-drift.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's been going on for so long but I really don't understand why I'd ever want a receipt at like, subway. They ask every time and I have to say no. I feel like if you want a receipt you should ask, rather than be prompted.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brawnfire posted:

I was told to do this by my mom. I guess she does it, which kind of weirds me out. I imagine her going into a tax service and just emptying a year's worth of Panera and grocery store receipts on the desk.

I can't even imagine what a year's worth of receipts would look like in my life. Terrifying, looming, like a snow-drift.

Well when your mom has an alibi for all those unsolved murders and you don't, we'll see who was right :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Patrice O'Neal had a bit about always keeping receipts so he has an alibi since he's a black man

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Apartment listings that don't have just a basic floor plan. It seems that they all either have the 3D guide through the apartment, or the layout that has furniture included. I don't need that, I just need dimensions! Bonus points if the only dimensions listed are for the entire apartment, but no rooms have the individual size. WHY

Or when the listing just has 1 or 2 photos of some room through a fish-eye lense. Is it the living room? Bedroom? Who knows! But hey, here's 9 shots of the exterior!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Or when the listing just has 1 or 2 photos of some room through a fish-eye lense. Is it the living room? Bedroom? Who knows! But hey, here's 9 shots of the exterior!

The amenities! Never mind that their lovely little three-machine gym is not a draw or that I'll be avoiding the playground because I'm not four--I want to see where I'm going to be living, not what I'm walking past to get to my place!

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when my phone snags onto some distant-enough-to-be-horrible wi-fi, at random, in the middle of things.

Like, I'm reasonably sure there's no "just ignore all wi-fi unless it is these specific wi-fi spots" option, but I've completely blanked on options before. Plus, I'm reasonably sure half the issue is that xfinity wifi nodes are everywhere.

Mine does this at home. It latches onto the random open "xfinity wifi" account when I have already set up an anchored account in my house that I should automatically connect to. It takes forever to open the connections tab and wait for it to search hotspots, and sometimes it never picks mine up. Yet in the meantime, the cable and internet at home are working just fine, but my phone really wants to connect to the lovely free "click to login" wifi.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always collect reciepts because it helps me keep track of my budget when I balance it, because bank statements can have a small amount of lag in when new charges show up on the website.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I always collect reciepts because it helps me keep track of my budget when I balance it, because bank statements can have a small amount of lag in when new charges show up on the website.

I can understand that aspect but I've never been in the situation where I need to be checking my balance every single day so it still seems foreign to me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that thread title is fascinating to me

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I can understand that aspect but I've never been in the situation where I need to be checking my balance every single day so it still seems foreign to me.

Yeah, but you're not trying to buy every videogame ever made and catalogue it for the internet. BioEnchanted is doing God's work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Apartment listings that don't have just a basic floor plan. It seems that they all either have the 3D guide through the apartment, or the layout that has furniture included. I don't need that, I just need dimensions! Bonus points if the only dimensions listed are for the entire apartment, but no rooms have the individual size. WHY

It's deliberate. They want you to at the very least call them, but preferably make an appointment, because apparently there are enough people that impulse-rent apartments like buying a candy bar at a grocery store checkout line that it's worth annoying every other potential renter.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I got in trouble at work because I didn't realize that the toll booths would even give you a receipt, because I had never seen anyone get one nor had one ever been offered to me, so I went through a toll booth on a work trip and failed to get a receipt to account for it and got a tongue lashing. Honestly I resent it a little

Edit: the toll was $0.75

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WampaLord posted:

Receipts for small purchases like lunch. No, I don't want them, stop handing them to me by default, I will just throw it away.

I love any place that asks me if I want it or not, I always say no and we both save time.

Yes! I love places that ask me. Unless it's a major purchase and/or something that I may need to return, I don't need a receipt. The worst are those places that give you a fifteen-foot long receipt with coupons and a survey attached.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

bank statements can have a small amount of lag in when new charges show up on the website.
My bank has a website and an app, and pending charges show up instantly on the app but not on the website until they actually go through. It annoys the hell out of me because if I'm looking at my account on my computer and I see a difference between the total and available funds but can't remember what I bought I have to go find my tablet and log on with that to see what it is. That information is obviously there and available, so why the gently caress doesn't it show up on the website?

They also insist on using their "secure email" system for routine notices. I'll get an actual email telling me to log into my online banking only to find out they're telling me about holiday processing times or something. And there's no way to even opt out of that. I know payments take longer on public holidays, it's the same every time, I really don't need to be told about it, let alone told by this inconvenient method.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what kind of rear end in a top hat just sits in the parking lot by our apartment at 2am and blasts music in their car? enjoy your hearing loss I guess

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do people get to adulthood and without realising that you should close your mouth when you eat because people don't want to watch or hear your food churning round in your mouth? :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

How do people get to adulthood and without realising that you should close your mouth when you eat because people don't want to watch or hear your food churning round in your mouth? :(

I used to live in a house with 4 other guys in my late teens so manners were pretty much out the window and one of the dudes would always get mad hungry when he'd hear me eat and then he'd have to eat too. Even at the time I wondered if it was some sort of sex thing or if he was just kind of a wild animal

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think in some cultures it's a politeness thing. As in, if you don't wetly smack your lips, you're insulting the quality of the food/the cook, so that's just how you learn to eat. And yes, it's just about the last thing I want to hear ever, let alone when I'm trying to eat my own food.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Che Delilas posted:

I think in some cultures it's a politeness thing. As in, if you don't wetly smack your lips, you're insulting the quality of the food/the cook, so that's just how you learn to eat.

Sure, I know about that, but I'm not in one of those cultures! :shrug:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Tiggum posted:

They also insist on using their "secure email" system for routine notices. I'll get an actual email telling me to log into my online banking only to find out they're telling me about holiday processing times or something. And there's no way to even opt out of that. I know payments take longer on public holidays, it's the same every time, I really don't need to be told about it, let alone told by this inconvenient method.

My bank does that, too. It's super annoying because the secure email message is never important.

I travel a LOT for work. I work as a roadie. My bank freaks out every 2 weeks and deactivates my card because I've been in 5 states in 12 days. Every time I call, they make me transfer to the card security folks who want a detailed itinerary of where I'll be and when. I have to re-list this with a different person every 2 loving weeks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Some old guy at this bus stop keeps feeding the goddamn pigeons some crackers and now there's a horde of gross ratbirds roaming around the sidewalk making GBS threads everywhere and bursting into flight every time someone walks past. Which, since this is a busy city street, is all the goddamn time. Why?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Some old guy at this bus stop keeps feeding the goddamn pigeons some crackers and now there's a horde of gross ratbirds roaming around the sidewalk making GBS threads everywhere and bursting into flight every time someone walks past. Which, since this is a busy city street, is all the goddamn time. Why?

Why don't pigeons freaking learn that nobody is interested in them, and stop exploding into a frenzy of wings just because someone came within twenty feet of their cooing-pooping-eating-raping party?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I like what my train station does and installs spikes on all the overhead surfaces so the stupid pigeons can't sit there and poo poo on people and ruin their day. Pigeons should be like pythons in the everglades where you get a bounty for every pigeon corpse you turn in.

The little cute birds like sparrows or whatever are fine though i don't mind people feeding them. It's just pigeons in particular.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's like how around here you can't even feed the cute, harmless ducks without also attracting a gaggle of noisy, filthy murderbirds. There was a great place my parents used to take me when I was little to feed the ducks. I tried to take a friend there a few years ago, and the knifebeaked honkers wouldn't even let us out of the car.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

It's like how around here you can't even feed the cute, harmless ducks without also attracting a gaggle of noisy, filthy murderbirds. There was a great place my parents used to take me when I was little to feed the ducks. I tried to take a friend there a few years ago, and the knifebeaked honkers wouldn't even let us out of the car.

like crows? I dunno what the gently caress birds you're referring to

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Knifebeaked honkers

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Geese. It's always geese.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Geese. It's always geese.

^^

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

protip: pepper spray has no effect on geese but tear gas works fine

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also if you grab 'em by the neck they'll leave you the gently caress alone

show them you can snap their stupid lovely necks at any time and they're a lot more respectful

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are roving gangs of geese out near where I work. Mostly it means I have to watch where I step for fear of goose plop, but there've been a few incidents of "...you LOST, son?"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Post Your (least) Favorite Pet Peeve: Knifebeaked honkers

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

Also if you grab 'em by the neck they'll leave you the gently caress alone

show them you can snap their stupid lovely necks at any time and they're a lot more respectful

Someone on here told a story where they were riding their bike and upset a goose couple who chased the bike and somehow managed to get its neck in the wheels and it got snapped and the dude telling the story was upset about it but I just thought it was hilarious

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

It's actually incredibly annoying and not endearing or entertaining at all how people trip over themselves trying to get a slight in on the US for the pettiest of poo poo, especially when they're flat out wrong about it. Bonus points for when they pull the "like the rest of the civilized world :smug:" poo poo.

Like man, when you're rushing to reply to someone asking how an HOA allowed something to say "UNLIKE THE US AUSTRALIA DOESN'T HAVE HOAs LIKE THE REST OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD :smug::smug::smug:" when the article in question it was a reply to was about an australian rich guy building a cage for his Rolls in a rich person parking garage for a rich person condominium complex, entertaining even the thought that they don't have an Association that serves the Home Owners and handles petty matters like cutting the grass and making sure the proles aren't aren't allowed within 200 feet of it you might be a loving idiot.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ishikabibble posted:

It's actually incredibly annoying and not endearing or entertaining at all how people trip over themselves trying to get a slight in on the US for the pettiest of poo poo, especially when they're flat out wrong about it. Bonus points for when they pull the "like the rest of the civilized world :smug:" poo poo.

Like man, when you're rushing to reply to someone asking how an HOA allowed something to say "UNLIKE THE US AUSTRALIA DOESN'T HAVE HOAs LIKE THE REST OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD :smug::smug::smug:" when the article in question it was a reply to was about an australian rich guy building a cage for his Rolls in a rich person parking garage for a rich person condominium complex, entertaining even the thought that they don't have an Association that serves the Home Owners and handles petty matters like cutting the grass and making sure the proles aren't aren't allowed within 200 feet of it you might be a loving idiot.

... what?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ishikabibble posted:

It's called jealousy

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

It's called jealousy

More like oldenvyless.

Honestly, I see this more with Americans than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think a HOA in Australia is called "the body corporate", so I'm not sure what the argument is