Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
kailer yamamoto is going to score 90 points playing with connor and win the calder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

For the record, Bourne's new Systems Analyst post on The Athletic is probably worth $5 alone for the amount it made me laugh.

it's about Alexei Emelin

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Levitate posted:

Jets are weird, I guess you can blame it on goaltending. They have talent but have consistently underwhelmed

The Jets have taken the most penalties in the league over the last three seasons and have awful goaltending. Mystery solved.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

violent sex idiot posted:

kailer yamamoto is going to score 90 points playing with connor and win the calder

actually Charlie McAvoy or Clayton Keller is going to win it

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
look at these fools who don't know Kyle Connor is the Calder lock

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With the Moose.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

For the record, Bourne's new Systems Analyst post on The Athletic is probably worth $5 alone for the amount it made me laugh.

it's about Alexei Emelin

https://theathletic.com/88261/2017/08/25/systems-analyst-alexei-emelin-and-the-worst-defensive-game-of-the-2016-17-nhl-season/

It's p. good and reflects my feelings about Emelin.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Poile, why? :(

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

look at these fools who don't know Kyle Connor is the Calder lock

All I know is that Brock Boeser is going to be played to death in the first month of the season, be somewhat underwhelming and then Linden will give an interview about how they always knew none of the kids were ready and that's why they're signing Shane Doan to a three year deal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Jets' special teams have really sucked too. #26 of 30 in both PP and PK over the past 3 seasons, along with having by far the most minor penalties in the NHL over that time period.

Honestly they should can Paul Maurice given their failures on special teams. Coaching has a big influence on special teams and he's not really getting the job done in that department.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 25, 2017

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Here's my article about Emelin:

He bad

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm gonna need 3000 words and some indecipherable charts before I can make any firm assessment on that assertion

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hockey news:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/901112546031259648

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Depending what he costs that's probably a good signing.

The Devils are gonna be pretty rough this year though. Even with Schneider probably finding his game again.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Winnipeg has seemed like an emergent-to-prettygood team on paper and has been fun to watch and not obviously bad outside of goaltending for like 2-3 seasons.

I think it's this:

Mind_Taker posted:

Honestly they should can Paul Maurice

Outside of the very best and comical awful, I don't think coaches have as much impact on a team as they're often credited (in the regular season at least) but I think this is a case where a team is really being held back by stagnant coaching and shiiiit special teams and discipline.

Plus, Maurice always has that stupid smug, too cool for this, barely paying attention look on his face. gently caress that guy.

E:

Muuuuuuuaaahahhh, I guess I'll answer a question. Gosh.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 25, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The Devils are gonna be pretty rough this year though. Even with Schneider probably finding his game again.

If Schneider put up a 920-930 they could probably contend for a spot. Their roster is bad bad, but heroic goaltending can do a lot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FBS posted:

How many captains go on Twitter in August to comment on a rather frank quote about his team's shortcomings?

Needlessly criticize a number of teammates in a summer interview? Just a captain telling it like it is!

Showing up to a team meeting in workout attire? A selfish loner, throw his clothes in the shower and ship him out of town ASAP!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jordan7hm posted:

I wouldn't count on it given that their D is Andy Greene, Damon Severson and some stacks of driftwood.

With the addition of MoJo and Boyle, their forward group is looking Not Totally Awful, at least once Zajac gets back in January/February. I don't know that Stafford adds much, but he'll get ice time!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 25, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:agreed:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I wouldn't count on it given that their D is Andy Greene, Damon Severson and some stacks of driftwood.

With the addition of MoJo and Boyle, their forward group is looking Not Totally Awful, at least once Zajac gets back in January/February. I don't know that Stafford adds much, but he'll get ice time!

The forwards really aren't too bad now but losing Zajac is brutal and means it'll actually be pretty bad come to think of it.

Hall-Hischier-Henrique is gonna be fun to watch and if Schneider regains form they should be about where they were last year maybe better, but their defense has like 4 holes in it. Ben Lovejoy-John Moore was getting 20 minutes as a pairing last season and they didn't add anyone to supplant them on the depth chart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone posted a chart a couple of weeks ago showing Jersey's offense was just brutal, sub AHL stuff without Zajac on the ice.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
is tay tay already dead

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The forwards really aren't too bad now but losing Zajac is brutal and means it'll actually be pretty bad come to think of it.

Hall-Hischier-Henrique is gonna be fun to watch and if Schneider regains form they should be about where they were last year maybe better, but their defense has like 4 holes in it. Ben Lovejoy-John Moore was getting 20 minutes as a pairing last season and they didn't add anyone to supplant them on the depth chart.

Is the consensus that Nico is going to get serious playing time out of the gate? I like the kid, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to handle top-line defensive matchups.

But then, I guess they don't have a lot of good choices. Henrique is a good scoring center, but not much else. And Zacha still needs some work. Johansson has got some experience playing C, but that's a heck of a spot to jump into.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Fire Ken Holland

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I agree with Dubs, but for different reasons.

https://twitter.com/BDubi17/status/901132360388890625

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If the major junior guys wanna wait 4 years before signing they too can be free agents

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

The Jets' special teams have really sucked too. #26 of 30 in both PP and PK over the past 3 seasons, along with having by far the most minor penalties in the NHL over that time period.

Honestly they should can Paul Maurice given their failures on special teams. Coaching has a big influence on special teams and he's not really getting the job done in that department.

It's pretty wild that so many Jets were able to finish high in the total points standings with such a non-existent power play. Scheifele finished 3rd in even strength points. Ehlers finished 10th. If they can figure out the power play they could put up huge point totals. Especially since Laine is going to score 60 goals.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
did someone loving murder ken holland yet

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

did someone loving murder ken holland yet

Uh, that was on you, homes.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Is the consensus that Nico is going to get serious playing time out of the gate? I like the kid, but I wouldn't expect him to be able to handle top-line defensive matchups.

But then, I guess they don't have a lot of good choices. Henrique is a good scoring center, but not much else. And Zacha still needs some work. Johansson has got some experience playing C, but that's a heck of a spot to jump into.

They're definitely throwing him into a serious role. As you mentioned they have a terrible offense and no center options for the top six with Zajac gone (Henrique is better on the wing). And he's a first overall, you gotta see what he's made of.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
New Jersey doesn't seem like the team that should be signing Drew Stafford.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So... Uh... I guess Jay McClement is going to be the Pens 3rd line center. Signed a PTC.

Krime fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 26, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mike_V posted:

New Jersey doesn't seem like the team that should be signing Drew Stafford.

Probably will try to flip him at the deadline

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

I thought that was a typo that Stafford played in Boston last year so I looked it up and apparently that happened, but I have absolutely zero memory of it. Congrats Devils on the new acquisition?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Chows posted:

I thought that was a typo that Stafford played in Boston last year so I looked it up and apparently that happened, but I have absolutely zero memory of it. Congrats Devils on the new acquisition?

I was watching an archived game from October and I was asking myself if Stafford was really on the roster during this season.

He was kind of forgettable this year.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Uh, that was on you, homes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M96rLbKBVmA

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Krime posted:

So... Uh... I guess Jay McClement is going to be the Pens 3rd line center. Signed a PTC.

He was kind of bad the last season he played for the Leafs and has gotten much worse since then so uhhh good luck.

Also he was below 50% on faceoffs last season so there isn't even that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Krime posted:

Aren't PTCs mostly for camp bodies and preseason gp requirements?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Good god do I hope so because Jay McClement has no business being in the NHL anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jordan7hm posted:

Mostly, but Marc-Andre Bergeron wound up sticking in Cleveland last year after being on a PTO to CBJ camp and eventually signed a two-way deal with Columbus after all on deadline day.

He never actually was called up to Columbus.

Didn't Lee Stempniak sign somewhere off a PTO a couple years ago, though?

• Locked thread