Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pretty good, seeing the 30 min timeframe I have little complaints.

Maoh's GX owns as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

After the hologram cockpits came down, I was kinda expecting one of her fellow Mafia guys to be like "uh... why are you in a bikini?..."

One of them does look over in a definite "what the hell?" manner when they notice, at least.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really prefer how Build Fighters had a bunch of romantic relationships with different character dynamics but were all positive and supportive over Try's thing of having every woman fall in love with the main guy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really prefer how Build Fighters had a bunch of romantic relationships with different character dynamics but were all positive and supportive over Try's thing of having every woman fall in love with the main guy
Not just that, but just character dynamics in general. Sei wasn't the focus of every single interaction, he just made small-talk while Maoh and Fellini were poo poo-talking eachother about who was going to win tomorrow. Unlike Try Fighters, where the inter-team discussion in the Nationals Finals could be boiled down to "We're going to fight Sekai, no WE'RE going to fight Sekai!":rolleyes: :fh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Okay Maoh turning his entire gundam into a Satellite Cannon was pretty funny.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Ecole Du Ciel any good? I'm interested at the Montreal connection, and I want to know if there are any amusing butcherings of Canadian culture in the comic.

It's kinda great how often Canadian cities pop up in Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm still kinda amazed that the finale of IBO's first season actually made it into Edmonton's local news. Granted, it's probably the only exciting thing that'll ever happen to Edmonton.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can only hope that Regina or Saskatoon will someday get destroyed as a result of a gundam battle.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GM's counterattack was fun but I am unreasonably annoyed by the Psycho GM's head being the wrong color.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

I can only hope that Regina or Saskatoon will someday get destroyed as a result of a gundam battle.

Considering my history in zone of the enders, I presume I would flatten the city if I gundam jacked, yes.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just saw the OVA, and I loved it. I'm even willing to overlook stuff like Reiji coming back because reasons because it reminded me that there are good things with the name Build Fighters on them. My only complaint is that it should've been at least an hour long. It felt kinda short.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What real world places have been featured in Gundam? Dublin, Montreal, Edmonton, ruins of Seattle, Sydney, Hong Kong, Odessa gets a mention and Ukraine is the scene of the big earth battle. Jaburo is built next to the Amazon river. Spain features in The Origin.
I'm missing a good amount, I'm sure. It's still nice seeing a major franchise feature a more global approach to world building than the frequently Japan centric shows of other franchises.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

There's also Dakar of course, from Zeta and Unicorn.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Still mystified at why Sei would decide to hide the Build Burning in a Dom and then hide that in the championship trophy. And also leave said trophy at school.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As best as I can guess, they were going for "Sei decides to fling a light into the future so someone else can enjoy Gunpla Battle just as much as he does". They just ran headlong into Try's insistence on being as unnecessarily convoluted as possible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should've explained that he put it there to hide it from the Gunpla Mafia

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They've always been weird with what motivates Sei's character. Like even in season 1 they explain that the only reason Sei isn't able to compete on the Meijin's level in battle throughout most of the show is some repressed psychological fear of destroying gunpla or some nonsense instead of him just not being as naturally talented as his father or Reiji or whatever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

Still mystified at why Sei would decide to hide the Build Burning in a Dom and then hide that in the championship trophy. And also leave said trophy at school.

It had accomplished its purpose - he got to give it to Reiji and fight against him in one last, glorious battle. He basically bound all the happiest memories of his early years as a Gunpla Battler together and offered them to whoever else would take them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

It had accomplished its purpose - he got to give it to Reiji and fight against him in one last, glorious battle. He basically bound all the happiest memories of his early years as a Gunpla Battler together and offered them to whoever else would take them.

After completely redesigning and rebuilding every single part

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

After completely redesigning and rebuilding every single part

He didn't redesign it, he stripped it down, giving whoever picked it up again the chance to shape it to their own fighting style. Notice how it went from the upgraded 'Star Burning' to the basic 'Build Burning'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

He didn't redesign it, he stripped it down, giving whoever picked it up again the chance to shape it to their own fighting style. Notice how it went from the upgraded 'Star Burning' to the basic 'Build Burning'.

That doesn't really make a lot of ton of sense with how Build Burning was written but to be honest nothing really does considering in Try BB was clearly "This is the prototype machine Sei made for Reiji that he regretted never getting to see used"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Build Burning is a completely different suit, isn't it? It's just an upgrade of the Star Burning Gundam, I thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Build Burning is a completely different suit, isn't it? It's just an upgrade of the Star Burning Gundam, I thought.

Nah, China actively tells them in Try that Build Burning was a machine Sei created for a friend. They're clearly supposed to be the same suit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Star Burning is a WIP version of the Build Burning. You can more clearly see Sei's design flourishes (the weapon loadout, the references to the Shining, God, and mk-II sprinkled all over the suit) as opposed to the purposefully blank slate Build Burning, and he hadn't yet worked out how to properly integrate the clear parts into the frame yet.

I'm still annoyed that the Build Burning, a machine with a potential limited only by the user's imagination, ended up in the hands of the most unimaginative person ever.

EDIT: Doesn't look like the HG manual blurbs say much about it:

Hope for a MG if you really want to know the full story, I guess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 25, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

They are completely different suits. They don't share a single part

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

There's apparently a new manga coming out next month called Moon Gundam

Kidou Senshi Gundam Moon :3:

or a gundam just continually doing :goatsecx:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

More UC who cares. Wake me up when we're back to AC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eh there's probably a new AU in the works. They don't really overlap so much.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
That was pretty great considering they had to fit it into 30 minutes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that was pretty fun. i wish the fight choreography was better and more exciting, but at least the writing seemed like it was having a lot of fun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I should watch a proper Gundam series again. Maybe Turn-A Gundam? The mustache looks ridiculous, but I hear the show itself is spectacular. Or IBO? I heard it starts good then goes down in a ball of flames.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I should watch a proper Gundam series again. Maybe Turn-A Gundam? The mustache looks ridiculous, but I hear the show itself is spectacular. Or IBO? I heard it starts good then goes down in a ball of flames.

IBO is great. The second season wanders a bit around the halfway mark, but the ending is pretty solid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

IBO has a weak ending to its first season and a controversial (and very dark) second season that addresses the problems of the first, but not in a conventionally fun way (among other things, the Imperial Japan allegory finally reaches World War II). It's a hell of a ride, and an absolutely top-tier Gundam AU, but it's not without its flaws (particularly the somewhat erratic pacing), and not without things that are not technically flaws, but are very much a matter of taste.

Turn A is excellent, and you will learn to love the moustache.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

wrt Build burning/Star Burning:
They are obviously 2 very different models kits in the real world version, but they are similar enough that the Build Burning could be a reworked/rebuild model after Sei and Reji trashed each-other's suits in their fight.

IBO:
IBO is a flawed show, and a show that sometimes sets up expectations and executes them in a unconventional way; but it is a good packages overall.
I personally liked it a lot, but I don't mind flawed shows if I can see what they where going for, and I can easily see that with IBO. Top-notch MS designs as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

IBO has a weak ending to its first season and a controversial (and very dark) second season that addresses the problems of the first, but not in a conventionally fun way (among other things, the Imperial Japan allegory finally reaches World War II). It's a hell of a ride, and an absolutely top-tier Gundam AU, but it's not without its flaws (particularly the somewhat erratic pacing), and not without things that are not technically flaws, but are very much a matter of taste.

Yeah, sounds about right on both counts. One thing I find interesting about the show's mistakes is how the weakness in the first finale played into expectations for the second season.

The first season finale is most notable, in hindsight, as being the one time the show really flinches. Full on "Mu La Flaga is not a battleship" level flinch. Three supporting characters clearly killed, or at least maimed?

No, they're fine! Everyone's fine. Even Gaelio was fine, under the mask. The show looked unwilling to off anyone who might be popular, which lead to a certain cynicism on the subject through the first half of season 2.

...And then the show started killing everyone. Came a bit less expected that way, I suppose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, sounds about right on both counts. One thing I find interesting about the show's mistakes is how the weakness in the first finale played into expectations for the second season.

The first season finale is most notable, in hindsight, as being the one time the show really flinches. Full on "Mu La Flaga is not a battleship" level flinch. Three supporting characters clearly killed, or at least maimed?

No, they're fine! Everyone's fine. Even Gaelio was fine, under the mask. The show looked unwilling to off anyone who might be popular, which lead to a certain cynicism on the subject through the first half of season 2.

...And then the show started killing everyone. Came a bit less expected that way, I suppose.

To be fair, in hindsight and in comparison with the rest of the season, it's entirely likely it was a last-second choice because they got a second season rather than something planned that way from the start.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alright, cool. Turn-A, then IBO, if only so that I can read these CIA documents. Sounds like a plan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd have been willing to forgive season one's weak finale almost immediately undercutting it's own stakes for no good reason if the rest of the season had been good but season one's biggest sin to me is that there's 10 or so episodes making up the middle of the season that are just plain boring. The episodes covering their trip to Jupiter and back along with Dort are plodding and filled with cliches; the worst being several characters talking about lost siblings, immediately followed by the protagonists encountering those exact siblings. Dort has one or two cool moments, but is mostly boring. Once they get to Earth stuff starts to happen, but the journey to get there comes across as pointless filler for the most part and just plain dull regardless. By the time anything starts to happen I presume I'm supposed to be invested in the characters, but mostly I was just kind of wanting them to get on with it and didn't care what happened to who so long as something happened at all.

I say that as someone who loves Turn-A by the way. It's not the fact there's a good few episodes with no fighting in that stretch that makes it boring, it's that none of the character interactions have any real meat and a lot of the developments that do happen are predictable like the maid being a spy, who dies, or just kind of stupid in a pointless way like McGillis' bird mask. IBO has a really strong opening set of episodes, but doesn't capitalize on that strength at all and the rest of the season was dull enough that I've never had any interest in the second season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I'd have been willing to forgive season one's weak finale almost immediately undercutting it's own stakes for no good reason if the rest of the season had been good but season one's biggest sin to me is that there's 10 or so episodes making up the middle of the season that are just plain boring. The episodes covering their trip to Jupiter and back along with Dort are plodding and filled with cliches; the worst being several characters talking about lost siblings, immediately followed by the protagonists encountering those exact siblings. Dort has one or two cool moments, but is mostly boring. Once they get to Earth stuff starts to happen, but the journey to get there comes across as pointless filler for the most part and just plain dull regardless. By the time anything starts to happen I presume I'm supposed to be invested in the characters, but mostly I was just kind of wanting them to get on with it and didn't care what happened to who so long as something happened at all.

I say that as someone who loves Turn-A by the way. It's not the fact there's a good few episodes with no fighting in that stretch that makes it boring, it's that none of the character interactions have any real meat and a lot of the developments that do happen are predictable like the maid being a spy, who dies, or just kind of stupid in a pointless way like McGillis' bird mask. IBO has a really strong opening set of episodes, but doesn't capitalize on that strength at all and the rest of the season was dull enough that I've never had any interest in the second season.

McGillis dressing up like a particularly lame sentai villain while preparing to backstab people who were utterly devoted to him anyway was pretty integral to his character, the plot, and the show's metacommentary elements. The whole dark joke of his character is that he's a broken manchild who's so good at projecting superficial competence that nobody believes what's right in front of them until it's far too late. You know, just like Char.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The second season suffers from the same effect if not worse. it wastes a whooooole lot of time, to the point I would say you can reasonably jump in 5 or so episodes from the end and not actually have missed much in the way of character development and only a little in the way of plot. Things happen fairly breakneck for the last five episodes but it kind of drives home how little changes in the first 20 and unfortunately how relatively little any of the characters actually develop. They're making the same mistakes for the same reasons with the same responses until the very end which isn't the worst thing in the world but makes for a lot of plodding. A 1-season show with less cruft would have done a lot better before IBO.

I genuinely believe you could trim IBO down to a 1-season show and not lose a lot. If/when they make movies of it I think it'll come across a lot better than 00/Age/SEED did in that department.