Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Disproportionation posted:

More or less yeah, but Marathon did have some tricks that Doom and it's other contemporaries didn't have; for example it had a more complex physics system with adjustable gravity - to the point where you could use the recoil from some weapons to propel yourself into the air, I think you could use the flamethrower as a primitive jetpack in low-grav areas. It also had freelook, stored ammunition in clips and magazines rather than just pooling it together and had voice chat in 1994.

It's also weird going back to Marathon and seeing how much of it went into Halo - a lot of the weapons are similar, enemies have major and minor ranks, and it even has oddball.

Halo did start as a sequel to Marathon. I wanna say Guilty Spark was supposed to be like Durandal or someone from the original series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Disproportionation posted:

More or less yeah, but Marathon did have some tricks that Doom and it's other contemporaries didn't have; for example it had a more complex physics system with adjustable gravity - to the point where you could use the recoil from some weapons to propel yourself into the air, I think you could use the flamethrower as a primitive jetpack in low-grav areas. It also had freelook, stored ammunition in clips and magazines rather than just pooling it together and had voice chat in 1994.

The clip thing was a bit hobbled by the lack of a manual reload button so if you didn't want to enter an encounter with three bullets in your gun you had to fire them into a wall to get more.

And the voice chat was only viable because it was meant to run over LANs and Apple did them the huge favor of advancing Mac audio support well past where PCs were at the time.

Neito posted:

Halo did start as a sequel to Marathon. I wanna say Guilty Spark was supposed to be like Durandal or someone from the original series?

I don't think they've ever said as much explicitly to the public, but you can tell the bones are there. And they built hype by sending mysterious letters to the leading Marathon fansite before the public reveal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Marathon also did tricks with "4D" space, basically just letting polygons overlap polygons and go through them. So they had one level in Marathon 2 that was in a "tower", which was really also just a flat plane with elevators, but the elevator exited to another room that was just stacked on top of the previous one. They said that level was responsible for more crashes than anything.

All that stuff in the middle is like 3 levels (or more?) overlaid over each other. They had to build the floor, get it right, and then move every polygon over the top of the other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was initially going to post this in Dragging down, but then realised it was entirely my fault - I got caught and killed by an archer at the end of a stealth section of Mark of Kri, but just realised what I hosed up - I forgot to sweep the analog stick to target him. Whoops.

Also using the bird to aid stealth is a really satisfying way to route-plan. :)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Aug 25, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

William Bear posted:

I just learned Prey existed when it became 50% off on Steam right now. It's good!

It's difficult to get fresh meat to the station, so the consumable food items include tomato jerky and 3D printed artificial meat.
Almost every crew member is listed in the security station manifest along with their current life signs and a navigation point that leads to them.

I really liked the subtle world building. This game takes place in a pretty weird universe.

When you see this:

The plaque underneath reads:

"In Memory Of

John F. Kennedy

1917-2031"

There's also a couple references and a few accounts of something called The Evacuation, which is never expounded upon or truly explained as it's just assumed that everyone in the world would know what actually happened in what seems to be a Very Important world event. I really like the world of Prey, it's pretty well thought-out as a case of 'our world, except one thing changed the course of history'

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Dark Souls keeps surprising me. There's a spell you can use that makes more user-created messages appear called Seek Guidance. I always thought it was useless because I don't need 40 more people telling me to "Try Jumping".

Apparently though there are 30-some hidden developer messages that only appear with the spell that actually offer hints. My favorite is one near Patches that just says "Liar".

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

samu3lk posted:

Dark Souls keeps surprising me. There's a spell you can use that makes more user-created messages appear called Seek Guidance. I always thought it was useless because I don't need 40 more people telling me to "Try Jumping".

Apparently though there are 30-some hidden developer messages that only appear with the spell that actually offer hints. My favorite is one near Patches that just says "Liar".

I like the two in Darkroot Garden, messages that appear nowhere else and can't be placed by players.

"Follow the shining flowers" and "Are the trees moving?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I got the danganronpa 3 demo to see what the hype is all about. One of the bear things in the trial says he wants everyone to shut up so he can get around ripping and tearing everyone's huge guts.

gently caress yeah a doom comic reference in a Japanese anime courtroom game.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ilmucche posted:

I got the danganronpa 3 demo to see what the hype is all about. One of the bear things in the trial says he wants everyone to shut up so he can get around ripping and tearing everyone's huge guts.

Speaking of that, I like that the demos are the intro case, except the victim is different and some details are changed so it doesn’t spoil the actual game.

The first one had the fortune-teller die instead. It was really the teen idol, and the fortune-teller survives the entire game.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Nude posted:

I would like to bring Tumble's account to the stand. In a thread titled PYF little things in games: my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding page 463, Tumble gives high praise to a serial killer simulator for how well it emulates real life murder. Tumble proceeds to go into detail about how blowing someone's head off and watching it slowly slide down a wall was done in a level of detail that most games would overlook. If that doesn't make Tumble look guilty I don't know what will.
Just messing around :v:

I'm serious though, it's some really good blood spatter! It drips like there are little bits of brain and goop in there. And the bullet wounds are awesome! The same thing goes for the bullet decals from where the bullets hit walls and other things; they're not just some flat decal, they look different on different surfaces. They have real depth. I mean I know it's a weird thing to care about, but for a game that has you playing a ruthless, unfeeling hitman that pops victims in the head or stabs them whatever sharp instrument they have laying around, they really did a great job with how things respond when you do your job.

Sad lions posted:

I adored just how many ways they included to do it the "professional" way. I don't recall the earlier games having nearly as many clever ways to off someone. When you're doing well it's like playing as some weird bald trickster god who causes horrible accidents.

Yea, it's really fun. I like getting people to drink rat poison and then choking them with the fiber wire. Although I gotta admit, it's really satisfying to sneak up near the victim in just your suit and straight-up pop them the dome. I just wish they'd bring back the different ratings that Blood Money had, because the game seems like it's punishing you with it's rating system as it stands now - you can pull off some really bad-rear end John Wick style hits where you manage to kill the target and the surrounding bodyguards without setting off any alarms and the game just says "well you didn't get Silent Assassin so whatever." It's very pass-fail compared to the different ratings you'd get in BM.

But still, I think Hitman '16 is one of the best games I've ever played. It's incredibly solid.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Between the weapon durability and low variety of weapons and enemies I'm normally pretty meh on BoTW but I do have to give it props for letting people take stupid routes to solve puzzles because I sure wouldn't be approaching problems like this. I'm not creative in the slightest.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oolqxtdpoz1tib7ms_480.mp4#_=_

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I didn't like the low weapon durability in BotW until I realized that the game wants you to pummel the hell out of enemies and go get more, better weapons the same way you get other items.

Once I stopped caring about losing my "favorite" weapons, I just started messing everything up and rolling with whatever I scavenged.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I was playing Just Cause 3 last night and when I was messing around I noticed a crashed van on the side of the road. Upon further investigation it was a supply van and I was able to obtain a multi-rocket rocket launcher because of it.

I thought that was a very cool way to give the player a powerful weapon in a very organic way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got Prey because it's on sale and so far it's absolutely living up to the word-of-mouth but one thing I really appreciate is that it's smart enough to know that anyone with even an ounce of genre savviness is expecting some big SHODAN/Atlas/NO JOHN YOU ARE THE DEMONS reveal and instead of trying to drag it out and build it up as some big twist it's something they reveal pretty much immediately and get out of the way so you can move on to the actual meat.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did System Shock 2 have any big revelations after the Shodan reveal? It happens quite early at the beginning of the fourth level of nine.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

I like how your character in Prey will tap their foot along to the music during the opening helicopter ride.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did System Shock 2 have any big revelations after the Shodan reveal? It happens quite early at the beginning of the fourth level of nine.
Um. Guess it depends on your definition of big revelations.
The Many is a SHODAN experiment that went wrong and off its leash and it's attempting to spread itself with a number of annelid eggs using a ship docked at the station. Of course you ruin everything by clearing enough of them out on SHODAN's behalf.

That there are two people that are still alive, just like you. And you get to see them eventually through a closed door, before they shortly get on an escape pod and off this crazy station. It doesn't end well for either of them, as seen in the FMV after the game ends, BECAUSE SHODAN'S ALIVE.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked the side mission in Prey where you're informed that a shuttle left the station before the outbreak started and is just about to reach Earth. You have no idea whether there's a mimic on board or not and there's a ticking clock. You have to decide whether or not to let them get away or activate the shuttle's self destruct.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ilmucche posted:

I only played DR2 for myself (read Orenronen's LP of the first one) and the localization team/voice acting crew absolutely knocked it out of the park :allears: I'm super excited to play the DR3 demo for myself soon. Apparently Kira Buckland's in it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

I only played DR2 for myself (read Orenronen's LP of the first one) and the localization team/voice acting crew absolutely knocked it out of the park :allears: I'm super excited to play the DR3 demo for myself soon. Apparently Kira Buckland's in it

My favorite thing in games that the actress from those horrible Trapped flash games managed to go on an be in real things that don't involve catching fish with banana-knives or getting locked in a car.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

I didn't like the low weapon durability in BotW until I realized that the game wants you to pummel the hell out of enemies and go get more, better weapons the same way you get other items.

Once I stopped caring about losing my "favorite" weapons, I just started messing everything up and rolling with whatever I scavenged.

I like the curve it creates- at first I would try to steer away from the obvious Moblin encampments because they were big fights and I wasn't sure I could survive them, later it becomes "Well I'm short on weapons, time for some Moblins to die."

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm playing through The Saboteur again since it was a couple of quid on sale recently. It has a perk system for doing various things in game, one of which is the ability to plant explosives while disguised as a Nazi without raising suspicion.

I just noticed that the perk description is "it's surprising how often 'Heinrich told me to put this here' works" and that made me burst out laughing.

I love the pulp WWII vibe this game has as well. There really hasn't been any other game that nails the open world disguise/sabotage feel this one does.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I still need to play past the first hour or two but its main problem was

"hey remember that AI from the first game no one played? Ah just keep it in mind, g'luck"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

My favorite thing in games that the actress from those horrible Trapped flash games managed to go on an be in real things that don't involve catching fish with banana-knives or getting locked in a car.

And she's actually a good VA too, I thought she knocked it out of the park in Automata.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I got Prey because it's on sale and so far it's absolutely living up to the word-of-mouth but one thing I really appreciate is that it's smart enough to know that anyone with even an ounce of genre savviness is expecting some big SHODAN/Atlas/NO JOHN YOU ARE THE DEMONS reveal and instead of trying to drag it out and build it up as some big twist it's something they reveal pretty much immediately and get out of the way so you can move on to the actual meat.

Also the twist is extremely cool if you didn't know about it beforehand--the moment where you break the glass is fantastic, and I'm really glad I didn't know it was coming before I started

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing in Lego City Undercover that I forgot about until my LP hit it - I love that every time you complete a side-challenge completely, like blowing up all the statues or finding all the pigs, Ellie calls you to give a personalised message congratulating you on the accomplishment. :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bogmonster posted:

I'm playing through The Saboteur again since it was a couple of quid on sale recently. It has a perk system for doing various things in game, one of which is the ability to plant explosives while disguised as a Nazi without raising suspicion.

I just noticed that the perk description is "it's surprising how often 'Heinrich told me to put this here' works" and that made me burst out laughing.

I love the pulp WWII vibe this game has as well. There really hasn't been any other game that nails the open world disguise/sabotage feel this one does.

I'm glad you said "quid" at the very beginning of your post so that I could change my internal reading voice accent appropriately. In case you're curious I went with Ray Winstone.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Lobok posted:

I'm glad you said "quid" at the very beginning of your post so that I could change my internal reading voice accent appropriately. In case you're curious I went with Ray Winstone.

You 'aving a farkin' bubble, you slag?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

Also the twist is extremely cool if you didn't know about it beforehand--the moment where you break the glass is fantastic, and I'm really glad I didn't know it was coming before I started

Yeah I was completely unspoiled aside from listening to the rad as hell synth song they use for the opening titles and I loved everything about it: being familiar with that kind of opening in games makes it even better because it recontextualizes all those stereotypical "look up to calibrate your camera, good now lets practice some stealth" tutorial cues as something sinister and also shows off how gonzo that world is since they went to all the trouble of having reversible facades and a fake holographic helicopter ride instead of just having you wake up in a testing center and saying you lost your memory or just having your brother stop by in a facsimile of your old apartment for some tests.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You can drive the car from Final Fantasy XV in Forza Horizon 3. :psyduck:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Digirat posted:

I've related this before but in my case I was goofing around in the introduction, because I was originally trying to just make sure the game ran okay on my PC and not playing seriously at all, so one of the first things I did was impotently throw props at the balcony windows when the door was locked. Then I got attached to the fish in the aquarium in the hallway and tried throwing props at that. And so the first thing I did upon picking up the wrench was go "poo poo's getting real Mr. Fish, you better get the hell out of here!" *swing* :aaaaa: At that point "just making sure the game ran well" turned into three uninterrupted hours of play.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah I was completely unspoiled aside from listening to the rad as hell synth song they use for the opening titles and I loved everything about it: being familiar with that kind of opening in games makes it even better because it recontextualizes all those stereotypical "look up to calibrate your camera, good now lets practice some stealth" tutorial cues as something sinister and also shows off how gonzo that world is since they went to all the trouble of having reversible facades and a fake holographic helicopter ride instead of just having you wake up in a testing center and saying you lost your memory or just having your brother stop by in a facsimile of your old apartment for some tests.

It's probably the first time in one of those games that the NPC acting has made me actually give a single gently caress during the tutorial.

E: Also, the fact that the studio idents are physical objects in the background during the helicopter ride really hosed with me. That's a fourth wall break I wasn't ready to deal with at that stage in the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Apparently Portal/Apperture Science is super duper important and vital for Half Life 3 and would've been responsible for a super cool setpiece involving dimensional and temporal travel or something that surely would've filled this thread for months

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

It's probably the first time in one of those games that the NPC acting has made me actually give a single gently caress during the tutorial.

E: Also, the fact that the studio idents are physical objects in the background during the helicopter ride really hosed with me. That's a fourth wall break I wasn't ready to deal with at that stage in the game.

Hell yes.

Seriously if you have any love for immersive sim FPSes get Prey, it finally has a demo on PC and it's been on sale for half off twice in the short time its been out.

Calaveron posted:

Apparently Portal/Apperture Science is super duper important and vital for Half Life 3 and would've been responsible for a super cool setpiece involving dimensional and temporal travel or something that surely would've filled this thread for months

Or it could have been Xen 2: Standing Around Whilst Witnessing Exposition Boogaloo: The Search For An Ending That Isn't Another Cliffhanger

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tumble posted:

Speaking of pummeling, I'm pretty disappointed you can't have Link punching out goblins so you can take their swords.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

scarycave posted:

Speaking of pummeling, I'm pretty disappointed you can't have Link punching out goblins so you can take their swords.

Imagine doing a sneak attack on a lone bokoblin and just suplexing the gently caress out of him to take his spear

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

thecluckmeme posted:

Imagine doing a sneak attack on a lone bokoblin and just suplexing the gently caress out of him to take his spear

Or a mighty boot to the face with a quicktime event to catch the weapon as it falls.

I mean, I never actually ran out of equipment at any point- and you do always have the bombs, which are loving nutso- but it'd be nice if there was some way that an unequipped Link could hold at least a portion of his own.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I'm going through the Dark Souls series again and was looking for a screenshot to show a friend and remembered these Snake Mage creatures in Archdragon Peak from Souls 3.

I like their little wheelchair/walker apparatus to help them stand upright. Because they don't have legs. Because they're snakes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Imagine doing a sneak attack on a lone bokoblin and just suplexing the gently caress out of him to take his spear arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love all the special boss interactions in the adventure portion of the latest Hearthstone adventure.

Like what happens when you play Professor Putricide against Professor Putricide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHYZU1q-ggk&t=20s

Or all the things you can do/CAN'T do against the Lich King fight (also, a lot of lore interactions).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2BXYn-r4WY

And not in these videos: playing The Lich King against Professor Putricide.
PP: "Well, I didn't expect to see you here..."
LK: "I'm a very hands-on manager."

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Aug 27, 2017