Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Being a ghost sucks. You should just get hypno superpowers like Conor and watch the fight with your new supervision.
Get hypno powers without being turned into a hypno ghost, it's a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Some more thoughts RE: McGregor vs Manletweather

-another thing no one is talking about..."money" Floyd hasn't done boxing in 2 years...thats enough time to forget some muscle memory

That's ok, Conor hasn't done any boxing in 29 years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Can't wait for this match

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrBling posted:

That's ok, Conor hasn't done any boxing in 29 years.

Oh my

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

:D

sum
Nov 15, 2010

crack mayor posted:

I am pretty sure Mayweather will win. Nothing is guaranteed though. So here's why McGregor could win.

- Mayweather usually stipulates a large ring size to benefit his elusive style. But even the largest boxing ring is small compared to the octagon. So at the very least, this advantage is negated. If you're really optimistic, the smaller ring would help McGregor to pressure Mayweather.

- After losing to Diaz, McGregor made adjustments for the rematch. McGregor went into the first match feeling himself, throwing crazy kicks. He eats a couple punches, shoots in, and gets abused. For the rematch, McGregor attacked Diaz's lead leg with kicks. So if you wanna extrapolate from this, mystic Mac has shown the ability to plan and adjust according to his opponent.

- The ref for the fight is Robert Byrd. This guy is pushing 80. And according to ringtv.com, is "generally regarded as a ref who doesn't meddle too much and gives boxers wide latitude, often standing off to the side, keeping a respectful distance... Rather than physically getting involved, Byrd often uses his voice to break the fighters apart."

All this adds up to what I see as the real avenue to victory for McGregor. He not only needs to pressure Mayweather and hope to land a miracle left. He needs to use his size and movement to bully Mayweather. Get in the clinch and do some in close damage. He needs to do some borderline illegal poo poo. We joke about feinting a kick, but it could work if Mac gets Mayweather reeling. Put on the pressure, do a hip fake, then punish. Toss him around a bit. Something. Make Mayweather fight Mac's fight.

Of course, it's not going to be easy to take down Mayweather. Even with the few possible reasons I posted that Mac could win, there's bunch more saying that he'll lose. I think he has a chance of winning. A small chance, but it could happen.

Here's my thoughts on how the Dallas Cowboys could beat the San Antonio Spurs at a game of basketball.

*Manu Ginobli, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker are nearly retired, but the average age of the Cowboys is only 26. This is could be a huge advantage down the stretch if Dallas pushes the pace.
*Despite their defensive reputation, the Spurs are below average at defending post-up plays. If Ezekiel Elliott develops a post game, the Spurs are in huge trouble.
*A lot of the Cowboys players played basketball in high school and some even played in college. A lot of people are overrating the experience mismatch here.
*Playing against players a foot shorter and more agile than the average NBA player will throw the Spurs through a loop. They'll really be outside their comfort zone.

Overall Dallas has a decent shot at winning if they're able to capitalize their advantages and get a few lucky breaks early on

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
okay, i admit it; i laughed at that last post.

so shamefull

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/8/25/16205878/mayweather-vs-mcgregor-peta-condemns-wbcs-money-belt

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Floyd is now saying he sent Paulie to McGregors camp and will be talking strategy with him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Floyd is now saying he sent Paulie to McGregors camp and will be talking strategy with him

This would be the funniest boxing drama ever if true but I doubt Paulie would work with may

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think the best time to statt talking strategy with your mole is 24 hours before the fight

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

freud mayweather posted:

joint is sometimes slang for "penis"

i thought that would track

Oh, I didn't know that. :shobon:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

I think the best time to statt talking strategy with your mole is 24 hours before the fight

It's a double cross because Connor figured it out and gave Paulie some fake strategy. When Mayweather goes to use it it will backfire.

Also Paulie is a loving idiot. He's the loving commentator on the match. Based on that alone he shouldn't have sparred with Conner and certainly shouldn't be doing this soap opera poo poo.

At least there's something to look forward to. Come Sunday this poo poo will be over no matter who wins.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Honestly I think the ref will get trigger happy and stop the fight a touch prematurely, which is great for Conor because he can save face by bitching about it for the next 5 years

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

yeah, i think so

Here's the undercard info:

Main Card Purchase Pay-Per-View Aug 26, 9:01PM ET

Cruiserweight Title Fight
Andrew Tabiti
Steve Cunningham

Light Heavyweight Title Fight
Nathan Cleverly
Badou Jack

Junior Lightweight Title Fight
Gervonta Davis
Francisco Fonseca

Post-fight Press Conference Aug 27, 1:00am

my friend used to live with badou jack years ago, apparently he's very nice so i hope he wins.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
https://youtu.be/6i2k5d2coiU
Here's Floyd and Paulie lmao

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I am not usually in favor of pirating fights (if you enjoy watching someone get beaten up you should at least try to support their career in some way) but for this match I highly encourage you to find a way to watch without paying. I already told the guy hosting this fight that I'm not paying for the fight and that my $5 is just beer money.

I plan on getting near blackout drunk so that I can enjoy this farce in the moment, forget what happened overnight and then enjoy it again fresh the next day.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

my friend used to live with badou jack years ago, apparently he's very nice so i hope he wins.

He's arguably the best fighter at the weight class he just left (168) and there are a lot of big names for him at light heavyweight (175) if he makes the adjustment well. Nathan Cleverly is a pretty good first test at light heavyweight, he's a former and current world titleholder at that weight but has had consistency and dedication issues in the past.

The whole undercard is pretty good tbh. Gervonta Davis is supposed to be a real talent so I'm looking forward to seeing him fight.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 25, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Gay Horney posted:

Amazing

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Was Floyd supposed to weight at least 150?

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Fair enough, sum. I didn't say decent, but yea, a lot of a McGregor victory depends on a lot of "if's." "If's" that go against every logical conclusion about the fight. But screw up a defensive rotation in basketball, you might get embarrassed and your opponent scores 2 or 3 points. Make a mistake in a ring or cage, your lights could go out. Will McGregor lose? Probably. Is it interesting to me think about how he could win against seemingly insurmountable odds? I guess so.

Is everyone in here really only hate watching, or ironically watching? Anyone actually think this could be entertaining? Mayweather dismantling Conor for 12 rounds sounds boring but what if he knocks him the gently caress out? Or tools him for 12 rounds instead of coasting and stealing rounds with a flurry of action in the final seconds? Or maybe, McGregor pulls off the impossible? Is that worth the ppv price? I think it's at least worth a few drinks with some buddies on a Saturday.

Anyone watching the weigh-in?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
"conor has that hyperbowl"

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Gay Horney posted:

when did floyd learn to write an x

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Is that what they're calling the mcgregorweight belt now?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Eau de MacGowan posted:

when did floyd learn to write an x

That's how retards sign official documents, please don't troll

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/901203246928101376

Lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

crack mayor posted:

Fair enough, sum. I didn't say decent, but yea, a lot of a McGregor victory depends on a lot of "if's." "If's" that go against every logical conclusion about the fight. But screw up a defensive rotation in basketball, you might get embarrassed and your opponent scores 2 or 3 points. Make a mistake in a ring or cage, your lights could go out. Will McGregor lose? Probably. Is it interesting to me think about how he could win against seemingly insurmountable odds? I guess so.

Is everyone in here really only hate watching, or ironically watching? Anyone actually think this could be entertaining? Mayweather dismantling Conor for 12 rounds sounds boring but what if he knocks him the gently caress out? Or tools him for 12 rounds instead of coasting and stealing rounds with a flurry of action in the final seconds? Or maybe, McGregor pulls off the impossible? Is that worth the ppv price? I think it's at least worth a few drinks with some buddies on a Saturday.

Anyone watching the weigh-in?

I think most people(here/everywhere) think Conor has a very slim chance of winning or no chance. I don't know how entertaining the fight will be. I think Conor knows he has to end it quickly so he will probably just bumrush the first 2-3 rounds and then lose slowly to Floyd.

I am really interested betting some money on Conor with the odds but the odds keep going higher on Conor so I might wait a bit more

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/41046772 interesting article about the new ufc performance institute a d forrest griffin having a real job

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/41046772 interesting article about the new ufc performance institute a d forrest griffin having a real job

Griffin is a good story, Dana White would hand out fake jobs to retired fighters he liked (Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell), partly to encourage them to retire. They'd be employees, maybe do some "work" as ambassadors of the sport, but for the most part the UFC was giving them checks to stay home and do nothing.

Forrest Griffin was given the same deal, and he showed up to the UFC and asked them what they wanted him to do. They were like "nothing much, man, its fine, you can go home." He refused, and insisted that if the UFC is paying him, then they need to give him a real job and nothing would be beneath him. So, they put him to work doing whatever tasks they could think of.

Fast forward to the WME sale, and the new owners were like "lol, what? gently caress off Chuck and Matt, we're not paying you to sit on your rear end". They kept on Griffin because he was actually working and wanted to stay on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Imagine how Miguel Cotto feels

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Gay Horney posted:

I can't wait until after Saturday when I can go back to being blissfully unaware of Paulie Malignaggi's existence.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Imagine how Miguel Cotto feels

Disappointed but not as agitated as Oscar because he isn't coked out of his mind?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Griffin seems like a cool dude unlike Hughes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McGregor is going to have 20ish lbs on Mayweather.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Back in July his nutritionist said they would be shooting to be nearer to fight weight on the night of the fight

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/20/16001650/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-george-lockhart-nutritionist-boxing-mma-news

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sure MacGregor will have more than 20 pounds riding on Money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do you guys want to just Gameday post in this thread or is somebody gonna throw together a new one?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A bad dumb thread for a bad dumb event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

McGreggor is going to gain 15 lbs in 24 hours. That can't be healthy.

• Locked thread