Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is that

I mean

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: I do like the ideas of aliens talking about how weird our physiology is, but seriously, was that a fake alien version of Riker?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He had all this information for his cover story but they didn't bother to give him a better disguise?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker is a gray in area 51

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And they had fingers !!

AAAAAaaaahhhhhh

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

shadok posted:

Yeah, I'm certainly not claiming my list is anything but personal and subjective. "Latent Image" is one I hesitated over because the premise is great but (to me) the execution just wasn't quite there, especially the resolution. On the other hand, I put "Thirty Days" on the list even though it's probably not rated by most people, I just really like it.

:siren: OH poo poo I TOTALLY FORGOT TO PUT "MELD" ON THE LIST. :siren:

S2E16 "Meld" - GUEST STARRING BRAD DOURIF

And if you should enjoy "Meld", then it might be worth watching the two-parter "Basics" which otherwise I wouldn't rate, but Brad Dourif reprises his role and the parts he's in are really good.

S2E26 "Basics"
S3E01 "Basics, Part II"

Other close ones:

S2E17 "Dreadnought" - Possibly the best B'Elanna episode, battle of wits between Torres and her AI counterpart is kind of fun
S3E22 "Real Life" - Doctor shenanigans as he tries ineptly to improve his understanding of the human condition, ending is kind of hacky
S3E24 "'Displaced" - Kind of fun trying to figure out what is going on
S5E01 "Night" - Absolutely intriguing beginning, second half feels like it was written by someone else
S5E04 "In the Flesh" - Kind of interesting premise but resolution unexciting and it doesn't really fit in continuity for spoilery reasons
S5E18 "Course: Oblivion" - Really out-there premise, good mystery, kind of weird, I really like it but I don't love it, and to get the full impact you have to have seen an earlier episode which isn't great
S5E20 "Think Tank" - Not a bad premise, hilarious cameo, falls a little flat
S5E24 "Relativity" - Not a bad premise, Bruce McGill is great, time travel hijinks, kind of lacks peril
S6E12 "Blink of an Eye" - Good sci-fi premise, pretty good execution
S6E15 "Tsunkatse" - MUST SEE BECAUSE THIS IS THE WWF SMACKDOWN CROSSOVER EPISODE WITH THE ROCK, IDEALLY GET HAMMERED OR HIGH FIRST
S6E25 "The Haunting of Deck Twelve" - Not that great a story but the framing mechanism is charming
S7E07 "Body and Soul" - Doctor/Seven shenanigans, a little too goofy even for me
S7E13 "Repentance" - A good old-fashioned Star Trek morality play, but just a little too heavy-handed
S7E14 "Prophecy" - The Klingon generation ship idea is neat but the story overall is a little meh
S7E15 "The Void" - Cute premise, falls a little flat in execution
S7E20 "Author, Author" - Probably should have been on my list of goofy Doctor episodes

you're on the verge of just listing every voyager episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It would be amazing if most of the episode is from the alien POV

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would be amazing if most of the episode is from the alien POV

This is one of the most... TNG episodes of TNG.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard: "As you can see, we are physically quite different from Midichlorians, and I am prepared to prove it to you."
Scientist woman: "I'd like that."
Picard: whips out dick

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

shadok posted:

This is one of the most... TNG episodes of TNG.

My vote for TNG-est episode is Who Watches the Watchers

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MillennialVulcan posted:

They made 172 episodes, I listed 27 that I thought were good and 18 that I thought were okay. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow the federation puts a bunch of spies disguised as natives on planets, we really are classic aliens

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This really is pure Star Trek

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard: "As you can see, we are physically quite different from Midichlorians, and I am prepared to prove it to you."

Hahahaha, this is gonna be great to look back at.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MorgaineDax posted:

Hahahaha, this is gonna be great to look back at.

Look if anybody whips their dick out it's going to be Riker... or Data or Worf or Wesley or Miles or yeah I guess Picard... anybody but Geordi, really

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

Look if anybody whips their dick out it's going to be Riker... or Data or Worf or Wesley or Miles or yeah I guess Picard... anybody but Geordi, really

That's not fair, it wasn't like Tasha yar ever...

Oh, right, nevermind.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol I knew it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Classic.

lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That scene is Peak Riker. Anbo-jyitsu is a close second.

Also, Frasier's gonna be mad whenever he gets out of that time distortion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The mustache glasses alien is a psycho

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

C'mon Picard, take her, do it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy heck is that a new character being introduced or will they forget about her

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alien Bebe Neuwirth is still Bebe Neuwirth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Holy heck is that a new character being introduced or will they forget about her

In your heart you already know the answer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think that was my favorite Prime Directive episode.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wish Trek had more episodes like this with less developed people giving an outside perspective on the Federation. Voyager tried it a couple of times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The mustache glasses alien is a psycho

If you've ever seen the British series Green Wing, he makes me think of Alan Statham.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Marc Scott Zicree is so great at getting Star Trek while also writing totally unique episodes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know as an adult the episode where Dax meets its wife all over again is much more compelling. To be honest the idea isn't science fiction at all; first you apologize for what you did wrong, then you start talking... falling back into an old relationship is extremely tempting. As a kid I didn't really get it but the actors convincingly put on the casual demeanor and confusing tension of hanging out with an ex.

When I was 13 I thought this was a dumb episode and Terry Farrell kissing the guest star was the only bright point.

The idea that they're gonna like die if they hook up, if it's supposed to be a metaphor, is not sufficiently explored. It's cheap and just exists to provide tension when the writers should be trying to convey a life lesson. Having the two separated by Tobin's sudden death kind of confuses the metaphor as well. Is this a parable about not falling into comfortable traps, or is it about ethics in space slug romanticism? The script can't decide.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 26, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arglebargle III posted:

You know as an adult the episode where Dax meets its wife all over again is much more compelling. To be honest the idea isn't science fiction at all; first you apologize for what you did wrong, then you start talking... falling back into an old relationship is extremely tempting. As a kid I didn't really get it but the actors convincingly put on the casual demeanor and confusing tension of hanging out with an ex.

When I was 13 I thought this was a dumb episode and Terry Farrell kissing the guest star was the only bright point.

The acting in that episode really was really good in an understated way. It probably helped the actors that they were doing something on TV that was kind of taboo at the time, but I really feel like there was a unique emotional undercurrent to that one that was different than a lot of Star Treks and probably Terry Ferrell's best performance on that show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The scenes between the Farrell and Thompson are good, but everybody else's scenes are dragged down by this dumb exile premise. Sisko and Bashir would probably have some good advice (and it's nice to see that Bashir is able to be a friend to Dax here, that shows character growth) about this situation, but they end up talking about this whole exile thing. The meat of the episode is in the experience of meeting an old flame unexpectedly in classic Star Trek morality play style, but the show doesn't have time to engage with it. A lot of wasted potential.

As Gul Dukat would say, "That's sad."

And then there's this fucken technobabble B plot that has zero appeal. They're gonna do science, something's gonna go wrong and nobody gives a gently caress. Worf has nothing to do this episode so he's in charge of the science mission for some reason, on the Defiant for some reason, when we've just established two episodes ago that the Defiant has only the most minimal science facilities and Worf is the Strategic Operations officer for the system.

And this naturalistic performance that was so good in the first half becomes the two clutching each other mewing "I'll never lose you again." The writers seriously dropped the ball in the second act.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 26, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh okay the dialog gets really bad. "I can't live without you" level poo poo. It's like whoever wrote the first half skipped the next three writing sessions for a hot date with his ex and left Barclay to write the rest of the episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol random crewman gets a name and is hit in the face with an explosion literally three seconds later.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall that was supposed to be one of the (in-universe) reasons they use the Stardate system, is to help account for time fuckery.

(yes yes Stardates are actually mostly meaningless)

Not that it matters much, but there was a DS9 novel that offers a technobabble explanation of stardates. Basically it's like GMT/UTC, where the stardate is the time at a common reference point and you can work it out based on your local time and the distance to the reference point.

What is this reference point you ask? Well, it's the centre of a hypersphere with hundreds of millions of dimensions, each representing the location of a planet, ship or other object. Since each object is on the surface of this imaginary sphere, they always have the same distance to the centre of the sphere.

One thing mentioned in that explanation (but never in the show) is that stardates can run backward due to relativity and other fuckery, and this is normal and accounted for.

I dunno, seems plausible to me on the surface. No idea how the maths works out though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I just consider the first digit of stardates from TOS to be the year of the mission. It works until you factor in TAS and Star Trek Continues stardates, and it's a lot better than a lot of half-assed Traknobabble.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MillennialVulcan posted:

Dude he mentioned like 20ish episodes. That's like one season. Out of 7. Ugh Voyager had a lot of crap episodes.

Compare that to DS9 where it's like 20ish episodes are the ones to NOT watch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mastershakeman posted:

so what's worth watching, year of hell and a few of the species whatsists and not much else?

BRIDE OF CHAOTICA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He learned from the Earth's greatest leader of the 20th century, LBJ.

I used to think the crazy glasses alien was Kurtwood Smith. I also used to get that episode and the one where Riker is held in the alien prison and is going nuts. Which is one of my least favorite TNG episodes. I think i'd rather watch...well, not SubRosa, or Up the Long Ladder, or Matter of Honour. Maybe the Lwaxana episode where she and Alexander hang out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

At the very beginning of the episode, Data suggests they sync the chronometer to Starbase 34. Also, they were really bad trying to trick themselves. When they wanted to go back to that system to check it out, I would have Data just say "We saw something very terrible there, we left and decided to wipe everyone's memories. You ordered me to make sure we never returned."

It's a really good episode but I kinda think the solution at the end should've been "we'll never make a perfect cover for this, sorry but you've been discovered, trust us to respect your rights and maintain your privacy" with all the effort they went through to do it the aliens' way as the starting point of that trust. It rubs me the wrong way that the lesson isn't coming to a better mutual understanding moving forward but doubling down on xenophobia and conspiracy to literally turn back the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

He learned from the Earth's greatest leader of the 20th century, LBJ.

I used to think the crazy glasses alien was Kurtwood Smith. I also used to get that episode and the one where Riker is held in the alien prison and is going nuts. Which is one of my least favorite TNG episodes. I think i'd rather watch...well, not SubRosa, or Up the Long Ladder, or Matter of Honour. Maybe the Lwaxana episode where she and Alexander hang out.

That episode feels very run-of-the-mill, which is odd given the unique (for TNG) premise.