Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So how long till the new "Road to GamesCom" - game developing is hard u guyz, we are totally trying pleaze send more bux kthxbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AbstractNapper posted:

So how long till the new "Road to GamesCom" - game developing is hard u guyz, we are totally trying pleaze send more bux kthxbye.

Burn Down to CitizenCon

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The opening 600i commercial was great when it looked like they were unveiling a shiny plastic coffin. As for the main demo, beyond the crashes and ramp kill, the black guy all of a sudden speaking with the young asian woman's voice was pretty out there. Then they tried to sell a webcam for their face tech stuff.

There aren't really highlights. The whole thing was baffling.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XK posted:

The opening 600i commercial was great when it looked like they were unveiling a shiny plastic coffin. As for the main demo, beyond the crashes and ramp kill, the black guy all of a sudden speaking with the young asian woman's voice was pretty out there. Then they tried to sell a webcam for their face tech stuff.

There aren't really highlights. The whole thing was baffling.

You just watch it and it's just confusing. Why? Why would you not get a refund at this point? It's a loving mess that comes off the loving tracks at the instant of a really easy to replicate physics conflict.

It's almost as if MMOs have super limited physics engines for a reason...

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Chris Roberts is actually Andy Kaufman and this is his greatest performance yet

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

milk milk lemonade posted:

this actually makes the most sense, not even joking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WarpDogs posted:

Here's my attempt at a summary

* Began with a 45min delay + 3 or 4 commercials for chariots
* New features (facial recognition, voice stuff) introduced then promptly revealed to be coming after 3.0, not with it
* After warping to the quest destination, the pilot's client crashed. The other two players were still in the ship but couldn't interact with it
* After 10 minutes of awkward troubleshooting they eventually had to restart. Cue another 15-20 minutes of mostly silence and long shots of a black room and an increasingly angry Chris as the demo is rebooted
* Because the demo was nearly 100% scripted, they had to do everything all over again leading up to the warp crash
* this included the world's worst RP of all time. yes, they still repeated the RP in the 2nd attempt
* They get to the planet. it's janky. a ton of pop-in and missing models. We all begin to notice that the lighting / colors for each player (they keep switching cameras) is completely different. It's suggested that even the time of day for players is different
* They find the quest object - a ship's black box which turned out to be a red cube that was just laying in a random spot on the floor
* Then they were ambushed, surprising nobody
* They shot the bad guy's ship out of the air from their moon rover, but they clearly weren't even aiming at the guy and it was a really embarrassing moment of scripting
* An Idris comes to save them, and jitter-janks its way to the surface. It extends a ramp for the rover to climb, and the entire thread knew at once it was going to end in disaster. It did. After many failed attempts the rover clipped through the ramp and exploded. The wheels literally fell off and rolled toward the camera, and I very nearly blacked out in laughter
* also the red black box was aboard the rover but nobody acknowledged the mission was a failure
* Sometime after this we cut to a commercial for an RSI-branded webcam. Lots of scare tactics to make you think your existing webcam lacks the horsepower to handle Star Citizen's new facial stuff
* Later, the Idris goes to space and is ambushed a 2nd time, surprising nobody for a 2nd time
* An epic space battle ensues as two goliaths fight through 6-7fps space and jitter-jank into one another. One explodes
* It's the end of the demo. Chris then has a sudden and definitely not scripted idea - let's let the goliaths fight again, but this time the bad guy could win!
* It's another 20 minutes waiting for the really obviously fake and scripted demo to spin up. It's awkward silence. Sandi wanders on stage in her weird clown outfit to give Chris a rum and coke
* The epic space battle begins anew. I cannot notice a single difference, other than a fighter bounces off the hull of the Idris like a Loony Toons cartoon, and the idris rams the bad guy who explodes in 6-7fps fashion. More jitter-jank

Then Chris ends the presentation prematurely before being reminded that the employees are coming out to say goodbye. He asks them to take a bow. They do so. that's it

You left out that the box was invisible to the person that picked it up. So they tried to not show his view at all. And he carried the invisible box all the way back to the Not-Mako.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Welp I can say hand on heart I had more fun having bits of my skull chiseled off

Would you recommend it? Asking for a freind.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

I have some really bad news to report to you guys. I fear the game might be bad. It's possible Chris Roberts made the bad game.

I'll give them until Citizencon 2017 before I actually make my determination. They better show something amazing then, or else I might have questions, and I might even stop giving them money.

Wait wait wait...

Star Citizen is bad?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I now want to hear that violin music transposed on all sorts of other random fail videos.

I would also love see a remix of the best parts of this presentation with the parp horn.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oh also when one of the not Wing Commander Movie ships landed on deck and was flat on the floor so the next guy in stared at the ceiling of the hangar as a clever ruse to not draw any attention to it

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

The space landscaping was on point, though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
My response to today's GC2017 presentation

:negative:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enot posted:

The space landscaping was on point, though.

No it was hosed up. Like impressively hosed up with bizarre spikes shooting around of the ground

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I now want to hear that violin music transposed on all sorts of other random fail videos.

I would also love see a remix of the best parts of this presentation with the parp horn.

I wonder if that famous composer CIG hired came up with all this.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Did they specifically say what their game changer was? Was it the face thing?
It was the face thing wasn't it?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Guys,

5 loving years they've been working on that god drat npc in that bar. And the first thing they had him do is have you get his lunchbox.

People have spent Thousands of dollars on this. They are proud of it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Taintrunner posted:

No it was hosed up. Like impressively hosed up with bizarre spikes shooting around of the ground

I think today's stream may have broken your irony detector. Try turning it off and back on every 15 minutes until symptoms subsume.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoatse posted:

I think today's stream may have broken your irony detector. Try turning it off and back on every 15 minutes until symptoms subsume.

Ah, whoops

I was just exhausted by the end of it, blown away that it was THAT BAD. Literally *nothing* worked like it should.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Taintrunner posted:

Why would you not get a refund at this point?

Well...

Taintrunner posted:

It's a loving mess that comes off the loving tracks at the instant of a really easy to replicate physics conflict.

This is pretty much it :v:

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

eat your heart out Mass Effect *drops mic*

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticColorfulShrewUnSane

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder if that famous composer CIG hired came up with all this.

I almost feel bad for him just being associated with this train wreck, but the dramatic tension building of the violins at inappropriate times makes me giggle.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I for one can't wait until they show how much progress they have made on the Miles Eckhart mission in gamescon 2018. Can you imagine all the new features it'll have then?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hopefully concerts and sporting events takes a page out CIG's playbook.

Let's open the doors to the venue when the event is suppose to start and have announcers talk about the weather for an hour.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Those quick takes of the player grinning like an idiot are fantastic.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

I want to live in that reality

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bumbler posted:

eat your heart out Mass Effect *drops mic*

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticColorfulShrewUnSane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfOMjpBWK_s&t=1543s
(I loved the Tunnel by the way).

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully concerts and sporting events takes a page out CIG's playbook.

Let's open the doors to the venue when the event is suppose to start and have announcers talk about the weather for an hour.

Lol I forgot about that. Brian just having an out of body experience while a hobo and his junky friend try and work him through it so they can get his money when nobody is looking.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

50 pages I'm not going to read, someone got a summary?

You need the them song to 'soap' to appreciate, but the presentation started an hour late after vamping from Lando and a visibly impaired Chambers who appeared to Be Over This poo poo. They rolled out some commercials including a bright shiny for the 600i.

They dog and ponied with a scripted excahnged that spent rather a lot of time promoting their new feature, which is factracking - which approximates the expression of the person playing with the avatar to *hilarious* results; somewhat highlighted by meshing a small chinese girl onto a black avatar. They also wanted to show us the new mobiglas, the pipboy with the cascading menu system from hell. And future people have a BPM that rarely wavers from 54.

They move through, dressing the avatar. - menus - going to a shop and randomly choosing the bfgnocopyright - menus - and then changing into their space suits and picking up an ursa - via menus. I mean, there was some button pressing technology.

Oh yeah, Eckhart got a new coat, but he gives you the mission via menus.

So they roll out in the ursa, some cute back and forth about the driving, external angle to show off the base, roll up to a ship, and roll aboard. Bit of dicking around with loading the ursa, but soon it's up, up and away, into speesss, and lighting the quantum drive, travelling to a planet....and it crashes.

There's a tense few minutes where a visibly rattled Roberts wanders around talking on a different system before they restart the system.

Then they start to run through the script again, both starting off in their wank pods, doing in another ten mintues what they'd actually done in the previous forty-five, but as actual people would do it, cutting all the corners they can.

They finally get to the planet, drive to the crashed idris and pick up the black box, or rather, one charactr had empty hands, the other saw a box...notobly no fps section...they get surprise jumped by some fighters and have to call for support.

This is where it starts getting more janky, and bearing in mind this was solid high school play up until this point; some triggers took awkwardly long to process. The landing of the Idris was meant to be stately, but made it look like a ballon. Driving the ursa onto the ramp caused a geometry fail that meant it exploded and the wheels fell off, which they attempted to brave through before respawning in the final section, two Idris' and fighter support.

Rather than being a battle between heavyweights, it was literally embarrassing how quickly the ships fell apart. They even had another go at it that failed to really highlight the presumed majesty of a space battle into pew pew noises and TTK.

The clips should be coming, but i poo poo you not, things could not have gone more wrong. They've spent time on producing bullshit that wasn't really asked for.

Oh, and they're branding a webcam.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

biglads posted:

Santaball will be Chris's big reveal

Entirely seriously, this could be a good thing if they had the capability. Release SATAball or sataball or whateverthefuck it's called. Make it drat GOOD...then sell it as a separate module for 15/20 bux. Add cosmetic microtransactions, use the good ol' crate and key system. Of course you'd give it to the backers for free, with a message like "We were holding back on this until the rest was ready but given it's taken so long we decided to go ahead and release it. Keep pledging pls." It would give the streamers something to play in between STER cITiZn gameplay, and people would love that poo poo if it was good. gently caress, I'm going to go make 3d space rocket league right now. BRB. Two weeks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, as usual, all the super-shills are completely silent right now, since they know people are angry at this moment. But by tomorrow they'll have all the loving talking points ready for deployment.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

You left out that the box was invisible to the person that picked it up. So they tried to not show his view at all. And he carried the invisible box all the way back to the Not-Mako.

And a vodka and soda. Rum and coke is for commies and gays.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mne nravitsya posted:

Yes. A bunch of us are actively watching this, and it is being discussed across quite a few studios. Especially when it's known that Croberts came to our door and a few other big publishers doors trying to pitch this game years ago, and we all said: No. So, he was forced to change his narrative to "I don't need a publisher!" and crowdfunded the unoriginal idea of a spiritual successor to Wing Commander. Believe me: He wanted a publisher. And more so, then he would ever publicly admit: He wishes he had a publisher right now, because he's in a very bad way. No one is going to hand him a 2 million dollar check this time, to get out of jail free and walk away from this game while keeping the false narrative (that he genuinely believes in his head) that "it was all the publishers fault for why my vision did not come out right on last game". He's in it until the very end with no life raft, and it will be a slow and painful collapse.

Croberts is not a game designer, engineer, art director, or visionary: He is a pitch man plain and simple. Unfortunately for him, pitch time is long over. He is now in a realm that far exceeds his skill set, and you are watching it unfold publicly this time: instead of behind the curtain.

I do have a bit of empathy for him though. Some people are so lacking in self awareness, that part of him doesn't realize that the reason he could never see his games through to the glorious visionary end was not because of bad staff or evil publishers: it was because of him, and his inability to do the job well. He wants to be THE MAN so badly. I'm sorry Chris: You are not as talented as you believe you are, and you have risen far above your level of competence. It's sad to watch this (with a bit of karma/comedy gold thrown in as well) but I hope it doesn't completely consume him. Without a safety net out of this mess: I (and a few others) believe this could become dangerously unhealthy for an out of shape guy his age.

:waycool:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
2k new posts' so i take it nothing good happened and Star citizen 3.0 Jesus Patch blew everyone away and were all buying back in ?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

discord voice chat during this shitshow was magical

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

2k new posts' so i take it nothing good happened and Star citizen 3.0 Jesus Patch blew everyone away and were all buying back in ?

yea we got showed hard snd we had to talk derek down from cancelling his blog

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

we're all buying capital ships and smashing them into each other now in order to overload the servers and bring about the end of pc gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Solarin posted:

discord voice chat during this shitshow was magical

Hell yes it was.

Today was a great day off.