Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm going insane here, that wasn't Kurtwood Smith? I'd swear to god he was in TNG somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

skasion posted:

I'm going insane here, that wasn't Kurtwood Smith? I'd swear to god he was in TNG somewhere.

Nope, just ST6, DS9, and Voyager.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That episode feels very run-of-the-mill, which is odd given the unique (for TNG) premise.

I think that's why I hate it so much. The whole "am i insane or is this realllllll?" is such a cliched story, and its in every single sci-fi series.

skasion posted:

He was the President in STVI, He's in Voyager as the guy who commands the time ship in year of hell, I think he was in DS9 as a Cardassian. But I don't think he was ever in TNG. Looking at his IMDB, yea he was never in TNG.

James Cromwell was in a hell of a lot of TNG though.

Speaking of him, it was brought up in the Greatest Generation live show I went to last weekend, what was Cochran's plan? He said he invented it to retire to an island full of naked women, but if everyone's living in Fallout conditions, who's around to buy the warp drive to give him his money?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't think it was Fallout level, more like Great Depression with all the economies taking a tumble after WW3. They mention one of the other alliances still being around, so there was government somewhere.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

blame his optimism on years of alcohol abuse

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think it was Fallout level, more like Great Depression with all the economies taking a tumble after WW3. They mention one of the other alliances still being around, so there was government somewhere.

They show everyone at the location is living in scrap metal huts in the forest. I'd think that they were living far away from major cities to avoid radiation. It's slightly better than Fallout, but not by much. Or this could be a temporary settlement for people working on the Phoenix. And Riker talks about how there aren't any major governments left as well.

Actually, that's probably it, they're paying these people in booze to build his rocket ship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He says he prefers taking the train to flying, meaning that the US has (at a minimum) the same transportation options we have *now* but after absorbing a nuclear attack.

One of my favorite things with the star treks is paying very close attention to the WWIII mentions. Its pretty clear to me that the ECONs got their poo poo hammered in, but the US-EU-Whatever side didn't do so badly, all things considered.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related, I've always felt, victory or not, WW3 (and the stuff leading up to it like the Eugenics Wars, and the afterwords) basically inflicted a huge physiological scar on humanity in general. They were on the loving brink as a whole species and probably would've died out had the Vulcans not noticed them, and never really got over it completely.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
WW3 killed off all the assholes

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A war not creating a new generation of assholes is a miracle.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Remember, we went from discovering the Warp engine, to kangaroo courts with out of work Christmas Carol extras and drugged up soldiers, to paradise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

skasion posted:

TOS already offered two "explanations" for this which were both equally stupid: the kind of eternal return idea in Miri where hey, the universe is a big place and I'm sure if you go far enough you're *eventually* gonna find a planet which looks just like a studio backlot populated by actors,

It was cool to read that this actually is one of the less dumb things on TOS and is a real physics hypothesis. If the universe is infinite (or some types of multiverses work here) then this will happen because the number of combinations of matter and energy is finite. In an infinite universe, it is not just likely but required that somewhere out there is another planet that looks identical to Earth. It'd be so far away you'd never encounter it, but it must be there.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Hey they already came across a planet of aliens that had an American flag, so the odds can't be too high

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Galaxy's Child for a double feature Friday. Had to double check because of the title that this wasn't the episode I already saw written by George R R Martin, but no, that was The Child.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hosting a special guest? Hopefully this isn't an episode focused around a guest actor that can't carry it. The last two times I was afraid of that it wasn't warranted but still

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait a second is that the name of

It has to be, right

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

IT IS

OH GOD

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This premise is giving me anxiety. He's going to meet her a few seconds after I hit post

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ooooooooooooh poor LaFooooooooooooorge

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:munch:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: He's even more of a GOT dam hypocrite for what he said to Barclay than I thought

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

God

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay maybe they just got off to a bad start.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:gonk:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think that was my favorite Prime Directive episode.

Imagine how depressing it must be to make first contact, and have it go so badly that you earnestly tell the aliens "You know what, give us a few decades at minimum."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Starship-sized biological life form. This is I assume what the Enterprise is for. Oh poo poo it's loving with them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They killed it with absolute minimum strength self-defense phaser

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aaaaaaaah Geordi's setting mood lighting for a date, save me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Big Cringin

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You can see the exact moment Geordi's heart breaks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes YES

:bisonyes:

The ultimate Geordi is pathetic episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So the Enterprise didn't just kill a one of a kind alien, it also killed a pregnant mother

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Of course they have to be in an intimate confined space

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

In the pants

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SHE'S SUSPICIOUS

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Do not. Do not tell her the truth

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh god is it is

Geordi you poor loving pile of dog poo poo. aaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thank god it cut away to a c-section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The computer is just way too much of a people-pleaser isn't it