Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Desi posted:

My CL-65 type ride was last week from 1am-6am...

On that note, I got a new job since I last posted. No more bombing around Northern Ontario in an MU2, I'll now be exploring the eastern United States from my YYZ base in the (relative) comfort of a CRJ200!

Jees, that was a pretty loving quick transition from A to B to C, well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Red-eye Transcons suck.

CPDLC is awesome and makes you incredibly lazy.

New gig?

CPDLC is indeed the poo poo but thats offset by how lame HF is when you have to use it.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

That action which is most important from a safety standpoint is preformed first.

Sorry, I cannot resist... I assume it's preformed into a plane shaped hole?
I'll get me coat

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

New gig?

CPDLC is indeed the poo poo but thats offset by how lame HF is when you have to use it.

Please heaven put HIWAS on CPDLC. Please, pretty please. Then we might actually bother with it.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 19, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

Sorry, I cannot resist... I assume it's preformed into a plane shaped hole?
I'll get me coat

:golfclap:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hjp766 posted:

Please heaven put HIWAS on CPDLC. Please, pretty please. Then we might actually bother with it.

Woefully related: Our TMU refuses to accept PIREPS through our information display (ERID) because the computer in TMU that receives them doesn't have speakers, and doesn't make a noise to let them know there is a PIREP.

Therefore, PIREPs have to be handwritten, and then hand delivered to TMU.

We have an all-hands briefing this week because management cannot figure out why we aren't soliciting more PIREPs.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Yep. I posted in here about it. Driving an Airbus now.

HF isn't bad when SELCAL is working. I kind of enjoy 30+ minutes of radio silence.

Searched your post history, must have missed it or been drunk, congrats. I see you are spending time in NY, let me know if you wanna meet here since we didn't meet in DTW (though we probably crossed paths dozens of times)

How about a Goon Pilots NYC Meet? I can throw something in my backyard or one of the craft beer places nearby where I live (Clinton Hill, Brooklyn)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 20, 2019

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

Absolutely. I'm in Jew Kew Gardens. I walk to thru Highlands park often and eat in Forest Hills a lot. I'll PM you my schedule and we'll work something out.

Any other NY goons wanna meet up?

drat :(

There's an awesome street meat cart across the street from the old JBU building in Forest Hills.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

AWSEFT posted:

Absolutely. I'm in Jew Kew Gardens. I walk to thru Highlands park often and eat in Forest Hills a lot. I'll PM you my schedule and we'll work something out.

Any other NY goons wanna meet up?

How about the lovely part of NY like SYR? We can get dinosaur BBQ and uh, see a polluted lake? I'd come down but gently caress my rear end if I'd fly a GA aircraft into any of those airports. That plus the TFRs make it nearly impossible to get anywhere close. I've been flying a lot for fun lately and every once in a while the thought crosses my mind again of doing it for a career. Please talk out of even dreaming about it again.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

i am kiss u now posted:

How about the lovely part of NY like SYR? We can get dinosaur BBQ and uh, see a polluted lake? I'd come down but gently caress my rear end if I'd fly a GA aircraft into any of those airports. That plus the TFRs make it nearly impossible to get anywhere close. I've been flying a lot for fun lately and every once in a while the thought crosses my mind again of doing it for a career. Please talk out of even dreaming about it again.

I'll try and nick the next clear day JFK I see...

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You guys need to get together an plan a RSV Hobbit like expedition all the way out to Brooklyn

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

You guys need to get together an plan a RSV Hobbit like expedition all the way out to Brooklyn

I'll be there and off duty on Saturday.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

I'll be there and off duty on Saturday.

Just collected a JFK night stop on Saturday October 7...

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, what's it like working at Allegiant? I've heard some good things, but not from goons. This would specifically be a corporate job, not flight line or anything like that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like Mr Wiggles, I just discovered this thread. I work at Pratt and Whitney and, like any company, they only feed good news to employees. I'll enjoy seeing any perspective from the outside.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, what's it like working at Allegiant? I've heard some good things, but not from goons. This would specifically be a corporate job, not flight line or anything like that.

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/investigations/allegiant-air/mechanical-breakdowns/

Allegiant has a mechanical failure rate something like 4X higher than any other airline (and double the failure rate of other MD-80 operators), and it's mostly down to blind luck (and some good crews) that they haven't destroyed an airplane or killed anyone yet.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I completed my PPL oral with my examiner basically skimming everything because I was ahead of all his questions (have a great CFI) but my practical has been cancelled twice due to thunderstorms

gently caress florida

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

I completed my PPL oral with my examiner basically skimming everything because I was ahead of all his questions (have a great CFI) but my practical has been cancelled twice due to thunderstorms

gently caress florida

No big deal, just increase your personal minimums!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My super incredibly sketchy 135 employer had a mechanic who left Allegiant because their maintenance department was too sketchy.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Didn't an Allegiant captain get in trouble (or even fired) because he evacuated an airplane after what he determined was a mechanical emergency on the ground?

-edit-
Here it is
http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilot-sues-allegiant-malicious-firing-emergency-evacuation/story?id=35165366

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

Didn't an Allegiant captain get in trouble (or even fired) because he evacuated an airplane after what he determined was a mechanical emergency on the ground?

-edit-
Here it is
http://abcnews.go.com/US/pilot-sues-allegiant-malicious-firing-emergency-evacuation/story?id=35165366

"Smoke infiltrating the cabin" is not something I would make a judgement call about as a pilot, unless I were absolutely certain of the source and my ability to extinguish it. gently caress. Look at the videos of planes that were evacuated just in time, before the entire thing went up, and the fatalities that have resulted from not evacuating a smoke-filled cabin quickly enough, or treating smoke as less than a serious matter. How dare the company second-guess the PIC in such a situation?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 25, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

gently caress florida

The instructors at my original pilot mill flew at the home campus before the satellite opened and basically said if you might as well not show up if you had a flight scheduled for 2pm or after in the summer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
KCRP 260151Z AUTO A2932 RMK OHFUCKNO

(Only modified for tone, not content)

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

KCRP 260151Z AUTO A2932 RMK OHFUCKNO

(Only modified for tone, not content)

also mostly edited for content, the .gov website has most of the information missing for ~some mysterious reason~

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

also mostly edited for content, the .gov website has most of the information missing for ~some mysterious reason~

The sensors have had a rough night, give them a break.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

The sensors have had a rough night, give them a break.

They're probably having a relaxing vacation in Mexico now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They're probably having a relaxing vacation in Mexico now.

Poll for the thread: What's the highest windspeed you've seen on your local airport's sensors? Mine was 45G51KT, and thank gently caress I wasn't flying at the time...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I landed with 43kt sustained once.

Chinook events are a hell of a thing, luckily it was straight down the runway.

Observed I've seen in the 50s a few times.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I flew in 30G45 at Yuma once. Just take it all on the nose and you'll be fine. Trying to loving taxi was the hard part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I landed with 43kt sustained once.

Chinook events are a hell of a thing, luckily it was straight down the runway.

Observed I've seen in the 50s a few times.

Hmm, where was that, out of curiosity? As far as I know, this (Calgary) is the only area that calls those winds Chinooks.

If it was indeed Calgary or area, yeah, I can believe it. Our winds are right hosed around here. My max was sustained 20, gusting 25, but in a 172. We're not allowed to fly much beyond that. Straight down the runway, though.... usually when those winds hits, it's straight out of the west.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

We had some microbursts roll through the desert so it was VRB07G45. Training was flat cancelled that day.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Hmm, where was that, out of curiosity? As far as I know, this (Calgary) is the only area that calls those winds Chinooks.

If it was indeed Calgary or area, yeah, I can believe it. Our winds are right hosed around here. My max was sustained 20, gusting 25, but in a 172. We're not allowed to fly much beyond that. Straight down the runway, though.... usually when those winds hits, it's straight out of the west.

The front range of Colorado, we call them that here too.

I wouldn't do much more than upper 20s low 30ish in a 172. Did the 40+ monster in a PC12.

My friend put it well once, flying GA you check the weather to see if you're going to fly or not, flying commercial you check the weather to see how much your day is going to suck.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 26, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

I flew in 30G45 at Yuma once. Just take it all on the nose and you'll be fine. Trying to loving taxi was the hard part.

gently caress that. Park it into the wind on the run-up apron and wait it out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Poll for the thread: What's the highest windspeed you've seen on your local airport's sensors? Mine was 45G51KT, and thank gently caress I wasn't flying at the time...

37G45 when I was deliberately checking to see what the winds were doing on a day I was otherwise supposed to fly.

I saw a gust of 73 knots at Rickenbacker one time when a line of storms was pushing and I checked out of curiosity, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
60-something, Chicago suburb