Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Morby posted:

I think it can work only if we assume that this movie was for world building and establishing characters and the subsequent movies will be all action.
That would suck since the best part of this one was all the YA relationship Breakfast Club stuff and the action bits in ranger suits was pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If they do another one (and I'm not assuming they will), it'd be interesting if they leaned into what they only briefly touched on in the original Green Ranger storyline: Tommy knew the Ranger's identities. Have Tommy rub raw all the wounds that the Rangers are dealing with their own lives (Kimberly's social segregation, Trini's family life, etc), at the same time being the Green Ranger and pushing their poo poo in on that front.

Give a teen Power Rangers powers, magically amp up their natural sociopathy, and picture the damage.

"Sorry your moms dying, Zack, it'd suck if someone piloted a giant dragon mech on Angel Grove when you should be at the hospital saying goodbye..."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 24, 2017

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger is now up on Shout Factory and I have to say, that show is goddamn bonkers and fun to watch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FilthyImp posted:

That would suck since the best part of this one was all the YA relationship Breakfast Club stuff and the action bits in ranger suits was pretty meh.

Well you would need a different director for sure.

The pink ranger might be pretty hot commodity by the time they make a sequel, she's going to be Jasmine in the live action Aladdin.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

G-III posted:

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger is now up on Shout Factory and I have to say, that show is goddamn bonkers and fun to watch.

Try watching it in the order Power Rangers adapted it

I'm sure that wouldn't get confusing

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

G-III posted:

Best. Christmas. Special. Ever.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Burkion posted:

Try watching it in the order Power Rangers adapted it

I'm sure that wouldn't get confusing

Eh I like my sentai untouched by haim saban and his bs. Give me ninjas that raid a yokai bar and turn into miniature jet fighters any day.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Legacy Red Ranger helmet is currently half off on Amazon!

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Power-Rangers-Mighty-Morphin-Legacy/product/B01FRK6J48

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tempting but I don't think I can justify having two of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the consensus on Super Mega Force? Because now I can't imagine watching a power rangers series without people constantly yelling poo poo and turning into other rangers having instant access to all their toys and poo poo

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
It's the worst season of Power Rangers. Even Haim Saban realized it was complete garbage and canned executive producer Tzachor after the season ended.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How do you gently caress up "access to every ranger power ever" as a series? It should be the most lighrhearted, fun poo poo ever until you get to that Cronenbergian Xth ranger with all the powers of all the 6th+ Rangers whose costume looks like the time Freddy Kreuger had a bunch of teenager faces on his body.

But yeah other than that it should be Forever Red x10000.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FilthyImp posted:

How do you gently caress up "access to every ranger power ever" as a series? It should be the most lighrhearted, fun poo poo ever until you get to that Cronenbergian Xth ranger with all the powers of all the 6th+ Rangers whose costume looks like the time Freddy Kreuger had a bunch of teenager faces on his body.

But yeah other than that it should be Forever Red x10000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqamdYgnh3c

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Those are the rangers from where Tommy's White Tiger Ranger comes from right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Those are the rangers from where Tommy's White Tiger Ranger comes from right?

Yup, Gosei Sentai Dairanger. Which didn't exist in Power Rangers and therefore should not have appeared in Megaforce, but that'd require caring and Saban sure did not do that.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, if we do get a sequel I wouldn't want it to be all out fighting. In terms of extra action the first really only needed another small scene between the training montage and the cliff fight or for the cliff fight to be extended a bit so that little more would be all I wanted from a PR2.

I hope if they make another one they do go with Tommie Oliver and make her a love interest for Trini.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yup, Gosei Sentai Dairanger. Which didn't exist in Power Rangers and therefore should not have appeared in Megaforce, but that'd require caring and Saban sure did not do that.

I figured that was the case when the Big Giant Head said that they could transform into Rangers never before seen on this world

Also I think the pink ranger turns into like, one of the very first pink rangers ever early on in the season too

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Calaveron posted:

I figured that was the case when the Big Giant Head said that they could transform into Rangers never before seen on this world

Also I think the pink ranger turns into like, one of the very first pink rangers ever early on in the season too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6cBmeipDk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, she turned into one of those, except pink (not Mighty Morphin though which I maintain are still the coolest costumes and that is mostly nostalgia speaking)
I'm watching some zords footage on youtube and was Dino Charge done by Fisher Price? Because everything from costumes to weapons to zords looks like garbage

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

I'm watching some zords footage on youtube and was Dino Charge done by Fisher Price? Because everything from costumes to weapons to zords looks like garbage

That's just how Sentai is right now. Overpriced bricks to sell to a much younger audience for whatever plot macguffin they thought up that year. Dino Charge was the start, so they were still trying and all the various dinos had different gimmicks and sounds for the batteries but ultimately every combination revolved around the tyrannosaurus that actually had all the electronics. So the final zord combination is more like "the normal megazord with some bits slapped on it because we couldn't actually find a way to use all the actual zords at once, so here's a brick to stick all the batteries in instead." The weapons are all pretty good toys though, especially the Morphers. But all the BoA versions are tiny pieces of poo poo with missing features and electronics and zordbuilder dicks everywhere.

But then Banda Japan was like "TRAINS AND IMAGINATION HERE IS A STICK MAN MEGAZORD AND MORE TRAINSSSS" so Saban said "gently caress it" and now we have Ninja Steel which originally showed promise in the toy department, especially in the megazord being such a novel concept, but then completely blew it by making every new zord just a new cockpit and face. The 6th ranger combination is unique but then the Lion zord is revealed and suddenly the 6th rangers megazord is relegated to "mostly out of sight on the back" while the ultrazord is literally a rolling chair. Given the context, the megazord as the bigger cockpit man was basically a given. The execution was loving terrible. Plus they decided to make the BoA version this giant monstrosity of cheap plastic and poor choices.

But even so, if you think those are bad, just look up next year's choices: Zyuohger or Kyuranger if they decide to skip again. Which who knows, because jesus the toys and mecha are just gimmicky kindergarten bullshit again and again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are two reasons why Bandai/Toei decided Saban should skip Trainranger

And it was their decision

First and foremost- trains are not big in America. They're just, not. After thought at best.

Second- the toy has a giant train dick. They were going to get hell for that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I liked all the Cube Animals, right up until combining with Cube Whale was the laziest loving transformation possible.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

PMush Perfect posted:

I liked all the Cube Animals, right up until combining with Cube Whale was the laziest loving transformation possible.

They couldn't even stick to their own gimmick. Looking at you "cube" rhino.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Okay, but Cube Rhino was necessary to make the best mech in the show, Tousai Zyuoh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SpazmasterX posted:

That's just how Sentai is right now. Overpriced bricks to sell to a much younger audience for whatever plot macguffin they thought up that year. Dino Charge was the start, so they were still trying and all the various dinos had different gimmicks and sounds for the batteries but ultimately every combination revolved around the tyrannosaurus that actually had all the electronics. So the final zord combination is more like "the normal megazord with some bits slapped on it because we couldn't actually find a way to use all the actual zords at once, so here's a brick to stick all the batteries in instead." The weapons are all pretty good toys though, especially the Morphers. But all the BoA versions are tiny pieces of poo poo with missing features and electronics and zordbuilder dicks everywhere.

But then Banda Japan was like "TRAINS AND IMAGINATION HERE IS A STICK MAN MEGAZORD AND MORE TRAINSSSS" so Saban said "gently caress it" and now we have Ninja Steel which originally showed promise in the toy department, especially in the megazord being such a novel concept, but then completely blew it by making every new zord just a new cockpit and face. The 6th ranger combination is unique but then the Lion zord is revealed and suddenly the 6th rangers megazord is relegated to "mostly out of sight on the back" while the ultrazord is literally a rolling chair. Given the context, the megazord as the bigger cockpit man was basically a given. The execution was loving terrible. Plus they decided to make the BoA version this giant monstrosity of cheap plastic and poor choices.

But even so, if you think those are bad, just look up next year's choices: Zyuohger or Kyuranger if they decide to skip again. Which who knows, because jesus the toys and mecha are just gimmicky kindergarten bullshit again and again.

We've basically had confirmation that Zyuohger is going to be skipped, as there's really no way to make it compatible with the Zord Builder system, while Kyuranger is pretty much a perfect fit for it

Also I legitimately feel that at least in toy form that everything from Kyoryuger onward with Zords is superior to either Gokaiger or Go-Busters, indeed I feel both of those shows(and Shikenger) honestly had pretty mediocre mecha designs, at least in toy form

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Regular Shinken-Oh was great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

Regular Shinken-Oh was great.

Oh I agree, same for Gokai-Oh, the problem was that for both series the add-on robots were overall mediocre(especially for Gokaiger's), and while the 6th Ranger robots were cool on their own(indeed Gokai Silver's robot is one of my favorite standalone robots in the franchise), the combinations they had with the main robot were very lame(I have extremely low opinions of mecha combinations that either leave parts out or don't properly integrate their components, and Shikenger and Gokaiger both drop the ball very hard in that regard)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Eh say what you want of Samurai Haoh (The samurai gigazord :shepface: ), but it did use all of the zords in the line; with most of them being in decent spaces.

What even was the last good zord/mecha where all (or at least the mainline) zords where used in a decent way? ToQ-DaiOh was a pretty neat design (the suit, nott he toy) but the last mech messed it up; Samurai Ha-Oh/G12 might just be that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zedd posted:

Eh say what you want of Samurai Haoh (The samurai gigazord :shepface: ), but it did use all of the zords in the line; with most of them being in decent spaces.

What even was the last good zord/mecha where all (or at least the mainline) zords where used in a decent way? ToQ-DaiOh was a pretty neat design (the suit, nott he toy) but the last mech messed it up; Samurai Ha-Oh/G12 might just be that.

The last actual "use every single loving zord ever" combination was actually Zyuohger. But it sucks and is stupid so let's just say it was Shinkenger. It's a beautiful clusterfuck parade float. Kyuranger is making an attempt but ultimately falls short by having yet another partsforming brick that lays down and carries what appears to be all the small voyagers, red and purple have nowhere to go. The real travesty in Sentai/PR is that there hasn't been any honest to god true carrierzord since the SPD base, which is a great toy in its own right.

Gobusters was the last one to have zords explode into a million pieces and reassemble, but missed the mark on Tategami Lioh. Well, partial credit for being a motor trike that Ace could ride at least. And having decent solo and combined humanoid forms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Samurai Ha-Oh reached the point of "okay, there's no way that's the suit actor's ACTUAL head. It's gotta be up in the hat or something, right?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

And if the "new powers" stopped with that I'd have been fine with it as that season was at least partially adapted into Power Rangers. But then they started adding in pre-Zyuranger teams with no real reason other than laziness and/or incompetence.

Not to mention stuff like them contradicting their own story and the lack of any real epilogue for the characters (which is something even Samurai managed to get right). As bad as it was, I can at least give Operation Overdrive credit for trying. With Megaforce it seems like nobody in the production staff really cared about what they were doing (to be fair, things didn't really start going off the rails until the second half but the warning signs were there).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone post that video of every time they say "Super Mega".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also why do they gotta wear the same clothes every day, if they were going that route they should've been wearing uniforms then
At least the actual ranger outfits were pretty cool albeit senseless in universe (why pirates they're just regular rear end students fighting space aliens)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

And if the "new powers" stopped with that I'd have been fine with it as that season was at least partially adapted into Power Rangers. But then they started adding in pre-Zyuranger teams with no real reason other than laziness.

It wasn't even laziness, was it? I'm sure they reshot some of those scenes to make sure there was a Zyuranger suit in them. That smacks of incompetence, not lethargy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It wasn't even laziness, was it? I'm sure they reshot some of those scenes to make sure there was a Zyuranger suit in them. That smacks of incompetence, not lethargy

Fair point, the show was just a mess all the way around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

We've basically had confirmation that Zyuohger is going to be skipped, as there's really no way to make it compatible with the Zord Builder system, while Kyuranger is pretty much a perfect fit for it

Also I legitimately feel that at least in toy form that everything from Kyoryuger onward with Zords is superior to either Gokaiger or Go-Busters, indeed I feel both of those shows(and Shikenger) honestly had pretty mediocre mecha designs, at least in toy form

Iirc, BoA was was part of the team for the development of Kyuranger or something so all of the zord stuff in it is intentionally meant for Zord Builder compatibility.

I can also excuse Gokaiger's mediocre zord given that it was a special anniversary season so the focus was 100% more on in-suit stuff and pushing the Ranger Keys rather than the mecha.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

SpazmasterX posted:

Except its a reference in a season which usually has some references thrown into it due to being an anniversary season.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SpazmasterX posted:

The last actual "use every single loving zord ever" combination was actually Zyuohger.
I did say decent. :v:
The other zyuohger mecha where pretty cool though, and the cube thing actually grew on me a lot.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like that one monster Master Vile made!

Contrary to the people above, I'm fine with never-adapted suits making an appearance in Megaforce. Completely disregarding the All-Dinosaur Team special is a far worse sin, but from his interviews it seems like at current rates Austin St John doesn't really want to fly across an ocean just to shake some hands and yell "you're done for!" at Neo-Goldar.

It also blows my mind, given the Legacy line and the weird "geewunner" focus of the toy line where there making MMPR toys for little kids today in 2017, that they threw away a chance to have OG Megazord show up in a new Power Rangers episode again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just green screen that fucker in. Send him to his local news station and do a scene in front of the weather screen.