Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was the best way I could have imagined it ending. Dick Solomon just going "are you done yet?" through the suit visor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Antivehicular posted:

Curie being the protag's mom is so stupidly obvious that I expect Uranium to somehow gently caress up even this bone-dumb reveal. Like, inside the suit is a Nuclear Garlikid who went crazy after being corrupted and decided to kill all humans, and also it was itself a human?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

AM2R actually has less complicated Shinespark bullshit than Fusion and Zero Mission, in fact. It's easier to get absolutely everything in it than in those games.

Fusion only has one really obtuse shine spark gimmick and its for a Easter egg making a joke at the expense of sequence breakers. And wasn't necessary to 100% the game.

Zero mission introduced mandatory ballsparking across dozens of screens to get single missile packs.

gently caress zero mission is what I'm saying.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

:five:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Jesus christ, this game just keeps getting worse. So, they ripped off the "You don't get to fight the champion!" thing from Black and White! WHICH DID IT FAR BETTER BECAUSE YOU HAD AN ACTUAL DUNGEON AND NOT JUST A LEVEL 85 SHITWRECKER.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They'll open the suit and it'll just be a wrist being sliced by a knife.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Silegna posted:

Jesus christ, this game just keeps getting worse. So, they ripped off the "You don't get to fight the champion!" thing from Black and White! WHICH DID IT FAR BETTER BECAUSE YOU HAD AN ACTUAL DUNGEON AND NOT JUST A LEVEL 85 SHITWRECKER.

Fighting N instead of Alder also had actual build up instead of coming out of nowhere. And N was an actual antagonist you encountered throughout the game, and the game was heavily hinting that the battle with him would be your final showdown.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

We should have fought Theo and Theo should have walked onto the arena in some elaborately overdesigned but still kinda cool costume while hamming up the pre-battle dialogue with the battle taking place in some magical Technicolor outer space dimension.

Actually that is how all champion encounters in all Pokemon games should go come to think of it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kurieg posted:

Fusion only has one really obtuse shine spark gimmick and its for a Easter egg making a joke at the expense of sequence breakers. And wasn't necessary to 100% the game.

Zero mission introduced mandatory ballsparking across dozens of screens to get single missile packs.

gently caress zero mission is what I'm saying.

Zero Mission is the best 2D Metroid game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I liked it too, it just asked a lot of casual players re: shinesparking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

Zero Mission is the best 2D Metroid game.

Its soundtrack was grating and the entire game post-Mother Brain was badly-designed, basically comprising one huge corridor wrapped around itself. AM2R is the best 2D Metroid by a comfortable margin, followed by Super Metroid and Fusion in whichever order you like.

I mean, I appreciate that Zero Mission recognized the importance of sequence-breaking to fans of the series, but at least for me, atmosphere and subtlety are far more important. Whatever Zero Mission is, it is not subtle.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Its soundtrack was grating and the entire game post-Mother Brain was badly-designed, basically comprising one huge corridor wrapped around itself. AM2R is the best 2D Metroid by a comfortable margin, followed by Super Metroid and Fusion in whichever order you like.

I mean, I appreciate that Zero Mission recognized the importance of sequence-breaking to fans of the series, but at least for me, atmosphere and subtlety are far more important. Whatever Zero Mission is, it is not subtle.

AM2R isn't even remotely on Super Metroid's level.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Super Metroid is very hard to play now after Fusion/Zero mission. The controls feel really awkward, especially diagonal aiming, and theres just a bunch of really annoying minor stuff that builds as you play.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fighting N instead of Alder also had actual build up instead of coming out of nowhere. And N was an actual antagonist you encountered throughout the game, and the game was heavily hinting that the battle with him would be your final showdown.

And even when he wasn't, 1) you still got to have a final battle with N, bringing closure to the rivalry (pseudo-rivalry?) that had been building up all this time; and 2) the actual final boss was introduced very early in the game and continued to show up several times throughout the story, meaning he was already an established character - it wasn't as if Ghetsis was totally unseen until after you got 8th badge, after which he suddenly swooped in from nowhere and immediately commanded his Hydreigon to eat puppies.

I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but it would have been a bit easier to swallow had CURIE actually had more of a presence in the story. It wouldn't necessarily make things good, because I'm absolutely certain that more CURIE appearances would have just meant more chances for them to quote poo poo from the Trinity test while Urayne fried a few more rangers. But at least then it would feel like CURIE had an actual impact on the plot as a whole, instead of just causing one or two disasters without being seen and only dropping for real in at the very end.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 26, 2017

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Zore posted:

Super Metroid is very hard to play now after Fusion/Zero mission. The controls feel really awkward, especially diagonal aiming, and theres just a bunch of really annoying minor stuff that builds as you play.

For what it's worth, I played Super Metroid last of the 2D Metroids (including AM2R). Not trying for a 100% run, just for a chill blind-ish playthrough. While it took a while to get used to the controls, when they clicked, they really clicked. Having two separate buttons for aiming up/down is great when many enemies are designed around it, switching items starts out a bit clunky but also lets you have more interesting ones than just two (beam/missile) in Fusion. And while the SNES didn't have enough buttons for hotkeys, I appreciated that they were smart enough to give you an instant "return to beam" button.
The hardest things to get used to were: losing all forward momentum after landing from a jump and learning to use the dedicated run button in conjunction with shoot and jump. (The former is just slightly annoying, the latter is optional but cool.) Walljumping felt really easy. The hardest thing to figure out that was required for progress was diagonal shinesparking until I read that I should just hold the diagonal aiming buttons.
Oh, and the Grapple Beam took me what felt like a long time to learn using reliably, but I got there. And when I did, I got Space Jump just as I was starting to like the grapple. :confuoot:
Finally, the point: AM2R is really great but after I could compare it to Super, it feels like a very different kind of progression. You get Spider Ball really early, and Space Jump fairly soon after it, so the "intended" path seemed really easy platforming-wise. Super spaces out its many different toys, but in return it gives Power Bombs fairly early for finding secrets.

fake edit: I forgot the goddamn sandfalls, they were a pain in the rear end at the time in the game when I thought I had a decent handle on everything

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Silegna posted:

At least this game didn't show the champion with a team capable of crushing the interruptor's, going on and on about the power of legendaries only to realize that they kinda suck

It's a low bar

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Aithon posted:

The hardest thing to figure out that was required for progress was diagonal shinesparking until I read that I should just hold the diagonal aiming buttons.
Oh, and the Grapple Beam took me what felt like a long time to learn using reliably, but I got there. And when I did, I got Space Jump just as I was starting to like the grapple. :confuoot:
Finally, the point: AM2R is really great but after I could compare it to Super, it feels like a very different kind of progression. You get Spider Ball really early, and Space Jump fairly soon after it, so the "intended" path seemed really easy platforming-wise. Super spaces out its many different toys, but in return it gives Power Bombs fairly early for finding secrets.

Even then shinesparking is a totally optional feature that's never required for casual play. If it's the part I'm thinking of, you can just jump while fully dashing.

What I struggle with between the Metroid games is the change in the timing for the space jump from Super Metroid to the GBA games. I can never get that down.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Well the trick is that super metroid space jump stops working if you start falling too fast. Later entries just let you jump whenever once you are losing altitude.
It's tricky yes, but you can always recover with a wall jump in super when possible.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

edit: Goddamn the rival sprite aging 10+ years in under a minute still wonks me out.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 26, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:sadfan:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
OFS pretty much confirmed Curie=mom with his song selection for that fight.

Altough at this point it wouldn't even surprise me if it turns out Urayne is the protags mom.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dragonwagon posted:

OFS pretty much confirmed Curie=mom with his song selection for that fight.

Altough at this point it wouldn't even surprise me if it turns out Urayne is the protags mom.

And CURIE is actually a legendary pokemon? With that "talk-to-pokemon" kerjigger hooked up to that batsuit?

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Anytime you face Curie, you can lose to her and get unique dialogue (as well as a unique game over). That's all I'm saying about that. I know because I played the game as legit as I could and therefore lost, a lot. (This is only spoiled because it's a hint for the previous spoiler)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zereth posted:

AM2R actually has less complicated Shinespark bullshit than Fusion and Zero Mission, in fact. It's easier to get absolutely everything in it than in those games.
*stares morosely at the mocking 99% on my AM2R file*

Combing over the maps and seeing which missile tank I missed irritates me far more than it should

But I finished my first mostly-blind run through AM2R with ~90% of the items anyway, so they're not that hard or challenging to get, which I like

Which also makes me dread what convoluted methods the Nintendo version is going to throw at us

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

lmao if you think AM2R is anywhere near Fusion, let alone Super Metroid

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Reimou posted:

Anytime you face Curie, you can lose to her and get unique dialogue (as well as a unique game over). That's all I'm saying about that. I know because I played the game as legit as I could and therefore lost, a lot. (This is only spoiled because it's a hint for the previous spoiler)

why does any of this need to be spoiler tagged

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zore posted:

While it might not be entirely the right thread for it, there's a little ROM hack for Super called Control Freak, made by Kejardon, that vastly improves the controls of Super - including such things as auto-run, Brandish button which makes missiles and the like work like in the GBA games, and reworked aiming. And a number of additional small tweaks (only to the controls, it doesn't change anything else in the game). It really makes a world of difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair to the Curie thing, a twist being obvious isn't necessarily bad in and of itself. A twist only needs to alter the course of the plot and develop the characters, not necessarily be some shocking reveal that shakes the very foundations of the audience's grip on reality.

Of course, the Curie = Mom thing doesn't do any of that, but a twist being able to be called is better than a twist coming completely out of left field and doing nothing but hurting the plot/characters.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if reading CURIE's lines in Curie's voice from Fallout 4 helps lessen the sting

Or maybe I just ruined Fallout 4 for some people

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if reading CURIE's lines in Curie's voice from Fallout 4 helps lessen the sting

Or maybe I just ruined Fallout 4 for some people

Read in a cheerful and somewhat bewildered French accent? With the Sole Survivor in a suit of Urayne power armor trying not to totally fuckin' lose it?

No, I think we're good.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I found this thread last week aaaand it's over.

Was it a good read? I'm on page 8.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's not over yet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Golux posted:

It's not over yet.
It's all over but the crying
And nobody's crying but me
Friends all over know I'm trying
To forget about how much I care for you
It's all over but the dreaming
Poor little dreams that keep trying to come true
It's all over but the crying
And I can't get over crying over you

Almost there, yet there's plenty of other fresh horrors that await us beyond this thread

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kommando posted:

I found this thread last week aaaand it's over.

We still don't have the Watering Can.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The real watering can was the friends we made along the way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if uranium is anything to go by we still don't have the watering can by those standards

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

We're going to get a smash-cut reveal that Dick Solomon is actually in a coma, and the entire game has been his dying dream, while a doctor morosely comments that he's got all the brain functioning of a watering can.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Some Numbers posted:

You were supposed to be watering those berry plants with the tears you shed playing this travesty.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

chiasaur11 posted:

So instead of water we're growing our berries by burying our friends in the soil.
Sounds like Uranium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The real friends we made was the watering can.

Oh... :(

• Locked thread