Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

There were no good games before 2005.

castlevania 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

And SotN.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog came out in November of that year so this checks out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aphrodite posted:

I would argue that there were no good games after around 2000. Games are better when they are simple and to the point, not having near unlimited power to create something that tries to please everybody and ends up being a clusterfuck. Unironically the only non-esports games I've enjoyed since that era is simulator games.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Aphrodite posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, 1999, was in fact the best game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I would argue that there were no good games after around 2000. Games are better when they are simple and to the point, not having near unlimited power to create something that tries to please everybody and ends up being a clusterfuck. Unironically the only non-esports games I've enjoyed since that era is simulator games.

dead rising 1 & 2

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think misandry is real, it's bad, and that it enables TERFs to attack trans women.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Very few games before that time period are worth playing now tbh so i'll agree with this. i cant play games for nostalgic reasons cause they're just ruined cause they're usually so drat bad compared to modern games. modern games make old games look like turds it's not really comparable to movies or tv

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

dead rising 1 & 2

dead rising 1 was the most frustrating game that ever existed it sucked poo poo and is to this day the only game i snapped in half and threw in the trash. gently caress the idiots you had to save who would run face first into a zombies mouth, gently caress the respawning hick murderers in the jeep, gently caress that rubbish rear end fury generator of a game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

It would be even better if made in an age when people knew the concept of user friendly GUI.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Very few games before that time period are worth playing now tbh so i'll agree with this. i cant play games for nostalgic reasons cause they're just ruined cause they're usually so drat bad compared to modern games. modern games make old games look like turds it's not really comparable to movies or tv

Games made before the turn of the century are like those ancient Lumiere brothers and Edison "movies" they may be interesting historically and as technological stepstones, but holy poo poo, it's embarrassing that we used to be impressed by that garbage.

Also I fully agree with Conan in this segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUppYmq-FQ&t=205s

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aesop Poprock posted:

dead rising 1 was the most frustrating game that ever existed it sucked poo poo and is to this day the only game i snapped in half and threw in the trash. gently caress the idiots you had to save who would run face first into a zombies mouth, gently caress the respawning hick murderers in the jeep, gently caress that rubbish rear end fury generator of a game

weeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL he aint my boy but the brother is heavy

dead rising 2 is much better but I still enjoyed playing the first one. dead rising 3 is capcom not understanding what makes the series fun, and dead rising 4 is capcom not understanding why people liked the first game.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Aug 25, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

doverhog posted:

I thought I was the only one who believed this. 😢

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Super Mario world is still the tits

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

This. I got thr game and couldnt figure out how it was fun or as popular. The idea sounds good but the sword of damacles and respawning enemies killed it for me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

This. I got thr game and couldnt figure out how it was fun or as popular. The idea sounds good but the sword of damacles and respawning enemies killed it for me

you can unlock a shortcut across the entire mall within the first day so you dont need to ever see those fuckers, and it means you only need to rescue one survivor for the shortcut.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Super Mario world is still the tits

Platformers are the most garbage games. Right above left to right scrolling shooters and fighter games.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

We Know Catheters posted:

I thought I was the only one who believed this. 😢

I can't really separate it from my experience with it as my young self, but trying to do that, it has lots of things going on no Civ game, that I've played anyway, has done as well since then.

In the great commons at Gaia's Landing we have a tall and particularly beautiful stand of white pine, planted at the time of the first colonies. It represents our promise to the people, and to Planet itself, never to repeat the tragedy of Earth.

-- Lady Deirdre Skye, "Planet Dreams"

:angel:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me just summarise the next couple of pages: "That game you like? It sucks and you suck for liking it."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

what happened in 2005 that was so special

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

hard counter posted:

Guitar Hero obviously

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

steinrokkan posted:

Platformers are the most garbage games. Right above left to right scrolling shooters and fighter games.

I forgive you for this

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hard counter posted:

obama was born in a test tube off the coast of puerto rico

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dross posted:

Guitar Hero obviously

so far i have it narrowed down to tiger woods pga tour '06 and shadow the hedgehog for game-changing.... games

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
I just want to say I picked up a raspberry pi and set it up with retropie. I'd never touched linux before but the setup is so ridiculously easy, there are resources out there that cookbook the whole process including connecting an old controller over bluetooth. It can emulate games well up to about PS1 level, has save states, supports wireless controllers, and can do that rewind thing the SNES classic advertises all for about $40. I can even install Kodi as an option in the menu and use as a 1080p media center.

It is harder than buy item -> plug in, but not by a lot.

That's my advice if you're computer literate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Social democracy is pretty darn good and also everything else is not.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

phuo: food service, whether in the kitchen or as a server, is like retail but worse in every way

Yeah I've worked in retail and hospitality, and retail was fine (99% of people were fine to deal with, work wasn't too hard), but hospitality. Hoo boy. People were way more rude and entitled, my owner bosses were lovely people, I was making way below minimum wage (which is pretty illegal in Australia), and way higher stress overall. I think the biggest point of difference and case for stress is if you're helping someone find an item at a retail store, and they say "oh no actually I meant X", it's no big deal to go get X instead. When that happens with food, it's a way bigger issue.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BuddyChrist posted:

I just want to say I picked up a raspberry pi and set it up with retropie. I'd never touched linux before but the setup is so ridiculously easy, there are resources out there that cookbook the whole process including connecting an old controller over bluetooth. It can emulate games well up to about PS1 level, has save states, supports wireless controllers, and can do that rewind thing the SNES classic advertises all for about $40. I can even install Kodi as an option in the menu and use as a 1080p media center.

It is harder than buy item -> plug in, but not by a lot.

That's my advice if you're computer literate.

My 65 and 67 year old parents bought one of these so my niece and nephew can play SNES and NES games at their house when they visit. They're not hard at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

There are some that hold up. Mostly the ones that were a simple concept, executed well. Like, a bunch of old platformers are still just as fun to play now as when they were new. Like, I'll still play HERO for the Atari 2600 every now and then. And one day I'll manage to beat it.

steinrokkan posted:

Games made before the turn of the century are like those ancient Lumiere brothers and Edison "movies" they may be interesting historically and as technological stepstones, but holy poo poo, it's embarrassing that we used to be impressed by that garbage.

That was impressive though. It's hard to see why, looking at it from a modern perspective, but when you were used to the video games of the time it was obvious. And if you look at it in that context it's still interesting to see the progress of technology. Why should it be embarrassing to be impressed by things that are, at that time, impressive?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Collateral Damage posted:

Has there ever been a product designed to be collectible that has actually become collectible/valuable?

For more recent stuff, there are a handful of Funko Pops that go for $500 and up, and a few even over $1200. There's one specific figure that goes for around $10,000 when it shows up on eBay due to there only being 12 in the world or something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I get that you can compel somebody to do it. You just can't compel them to be poor and/or desperate. Unless they maybe already are, I guess? but then you wouldn't need to.

Everyone will be made to feel poor and desperate in my Mobile Infantry, trooper!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Caufman posted:

Everyone will be made to feel poor and desperate in my Mobile Infantry, trooper!

Alright, alright! I'm on board already. Feeling more poor and desperate with each passing moment.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's not like mandatory military service is some scifi fantasy, modern day countries such as Israel and Finland have it today.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Starship Troopers pretty much any service will get you citizenship. Including volunteering to be a janitor or be a teacher. The government pretty much can't reject anyone from giving service, the point is that people need to step up to offer something. Though military is definitely the primary way.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Whitlam posted:

Yeah I've worked in retail and hospitality, and retail was fine (99% of people were fine to deal with, work wasn't too hard), but hospitality. Hoo boy. People were way more rude and entitled, my owner bosses were lovely people, I was making way below minimum wage (which is pretty illegal in Australia), and way higher stress overall. I think the biggest point of difference and case for stress is if you're helping someone find an item at a retail store, and they say "oh no actually I meant X", it's no big deal to go get X instead. When that happens with food, it's a way bigger issue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Only the flat out desperate and/or utterly insane want to work in a kitchen.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In Starship Troopers pretty much any service will get you citizenship. Including volunteering to be a janitor or be a teacher. The government pretty much can't reject anyone from giving service, the point is that people need to step up to offer something. Though military is definitely the primary way.

Yes. I see that volunteering as a janitor has made you the man you are today.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caufman posted:

Yes. I see that volunteering as a janitor has made you the man you are today.

*throws sawdust on the vomited up half digested remains of a deep fried beer, before turning solemnly and saluting the flag with a single solitary tear of reverence flowing down the cheek*

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

tag was pretty fun growing up imo

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I think FF X has a horrible story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010