Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Buying Cheap poo poo shoes will cost you more in the end, both in shoe replacement costs and in medical issues with your feet. The Boots I wear at work cost me about $200 and I expect to be wearing them for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the whole point if that there's one item of clothing worth dropping tons of money on, it's generally shoes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lmao, just lmao if you don't have cordwainer that custom makes all of your shoes

learned a new word today, thanks, thread!

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

My nametag has a dosimeter on it.
Well don't stand here gawking, you still have to refill the uranium on aisle 4.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, the whole point if that there's one item of clothing worth dropping tons of money on, it's generally shoes.

This is definitely true, having a good pair of shoes makes a world of difference on your feet- especially if you're spending a lot of time on them. The soles were coming apart on my Vans for a few months and my right foot was killing me every day (I'd have to sit down every hour or so and normally I can walk around for hours before needing to), but after finally buying some "work Sketchers" they've never been better.

Never underestimate a comfortable pair of shoes.

I hope you all enjoyed my interesting shoe story :tipshat:

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 24, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not thread making GBS threads for once but I twice a month I have my shoes shined professionally and have taps nailed into them. They'll even do further maintenance work if necessary. I highly recommend doing this if you want to maintain a certain appearance and feel good about yourself.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not thread making GBS threads for once but I twice a month I have my shoes shined professionally and have taps nailed into them. They'll even do further maintenance work if necessary. I highly recommend doing this if you want to maintain a certain appearance and feel good about yourself.

This makes me hope you are a vaudeville performer. Either that or taps means something else I'm not familiar with.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is tap dancing a job requirement at Boldman Blacks?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I had a dream about retail last night. It took place in a Radio Shack that also sold lumber for some reason. Argued with a customer about a bridge he was making after he cut the line.

10 years out of retail and I still get dragged back in

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Fil5000 posted:

This makes me hope you are a vaudeville performer. Either that or taps means something else I'm not familiar with.

Lmao. That's what the guy calls the plastic protectors he puts on the heel and toe of a boot or shoe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao. That's what the guy calls the plastic protectors he puts on the heel and toe of a boot or shoe.

Oh right. I did try googling it before assuming you were some kind of reincarnated Fred Astaire but nothing came up.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fried Watermelon posted:

I still worry about stacks of boxes being high enough to not be a tripping hazard in my own home, and I haven't worked a job that has required that for almost a decade now.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Toe taps are used for leather soled dress shoes or boots. I'd imagine most minimum wage retail drones aren't going to be springing for a pair of cordovan Aldens, let alone the extra cost for a cobbler to install Dainite soles which prevent the necessity for toe taps in the first place. Cheaper to just burn out a pair of sneakers with good insoles every year.

I've been saving up for Aldens but will likely settle for redwing heritage boots. I'm biased thought, I wear AE dress shoes to work pretty regularly because I like looking good. :shobon:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'd just add to not go for anything $100 or sub for men's shoes. Just don't bother. The construction is crap. In the $250 - $400 range things can be iffy and a crapshoot. You can easily overspend for a brand simply because it's an Italian name or whatever and have a poo poo shoe.

Alden are nice, yeah.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

this is a good post because getting your shoes shined doesn't just make them look spiffy, it helps keep the shape of the shoe and protects the leather from the elements

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

GBS: And with an inexplicable lack of hair, things start to fall apart › Horrible Customers: Proper Shoe Care

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zenithe posted:

I always prefer people ask me. So often I ask if they are looking for something (we have a bunch of random poo poo), get told no, then two minutes later get asked if we have something and immediately either show them where it is or say we don't have it. Just ask you idiots, you'll be out of my shop faster.

Social Anxiety is a hell of a disorder.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Haven't you ever been browsing some shop with lots of random stuff and eventually realized there was something you've been meaning to buy for a while?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Wait..aren't you that guy who was loving that crippled girl in a wheelchair like..ten years ago?

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wait..aren't you that guy who was loving that crippled girl in a wheelchair like..ten years ago?

Haha no he couldn't close the deal.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

I was doing a thing the other day that required I give my ID over to the clerk. He asked for it, then turned around to do something, so I set it down on the counter for him. When he turned back around and saw it he asked me to pick it up and hand it to him.

He then said that he doesn't pick up things.

The vibe he was giving off was that he took it as me being dis-respectful to him. Is that a thing any of you have seen?

The only thing to do in that situation is to hand it to him and caress his hand as you're doing it. Or do a pinky wave and a wink if that is a trigger for you. I know most smart cashiers hand cash back to you without making skin contact mostly because of germs, which I can understand but the opposite seems psychotic.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Unknowable Hole posted:

Haha no he couldn't close the deal.

Lmao. He even had a leg up on her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been living in the same area for so long that I've been served by the same clerks in the same store nearly every day for a decade so I've memorised most of their names (so I know when they forget their name tag at home and they just wear someone else's, you're not fooling me "Matthew") but I still hardly ever call them by name because that's creepy and weird. There's a few exceptions where I chat with them so often that we know most of each other's business and they comment about my purchasing habits ("Hey I thought you preferred that other brand of coffee?")

Glenn Quebec posted:

:chanpop:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whenever someone at work forgets their name badge and wears someone else's for the day I make a point of addressing them by that name for the entire day.

I also encourage them to adopt the mannerisms of that person.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Nice happening at work today that I think adds nicely to this thread. This is a f-up by corporate, not a customer abuse issue.

Corp. sent us a newsletter thingie today in which, among other things, they listed winners of quarterly customer service awards. One of the award winners was from my store. I am not going to state her real name for obvious reasons. The drones at corp. COMPLETELY butchered her name, listing her as "Mizi Witch". I laughed so hard I almost puked. People ribbed her about it all day but she's really cool and took it in stride.

loving corporate morons!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo I actually saw someone pull the "Well you just lost a customer!' maneuver in real life for the first time today and it was in The Reject Shop of all places (a large chain of lovely cheap discount stores here in Australia). Some guy was in the toy aisle pawing through all the lovely cheap Matchbox cars and apparently he didn't see the exact one he wanted on the shelf so he reached up and pulled down a box stored on top of the shelf and started unpacking it. A store clerk told him to cut that out and he yelled "Well you just lost a customer!" and then immediately went back to looking through the toy cars that were out on the shelf.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I like how nobody realises it's the biggest win win for the worker.

"wait, so you're going to leave and you won't be coming back?!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Starman Super DX posted:

This is definitely true, having a good pair of shoes makes a world of difference on your feet- especially if you're spending a lot of time on them. The soles were coming apart on my Vans for a few months and my right foot was killing me every day (I'd have to sit down every hour or so and normally I can walk around for hours before needing to), but after finally buying some "work Sketchers" they've never been better.

Never underestimate a comfortable pair of shoes.

I hope you all enjoyed my interesting shoe story :tipshat:

I recently learned to love my tiny goblin feet, because it means I can pick up doc martens on their website for 1/2 to 1/4 their usual price. Otoh, I just learned why suede shoes were on sale. It's because they're suede.

Working retail in a country with mandatory bag charges is a special hell, especially when we get tourists in.

:what: Would you like a bag today?
:v: *ignores me, possibly chattering away to his family in Foreign*
:what: Would you like a bag today? (while ensuring I make eye contact and point at the bags)
:v: *negative sounding grunt*
Lo and behold, after ringing everything up and leaving a pile of stuff in front of them...
:v: AAAA! Bag! Bag!

I hate working in a tourist trap during peak season, it's turning me into the weirdest racist. Now let me tell you about the inscrutable oriental and his unnatural lust for toblerones...

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Murderion posted:

Working retail in a country with mandatory bag charges is a special hell, especially when we get tourists in.

Oh man, we're starting this next year, gonna be goddamn amazing :allears:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Zenithe posted:

Oh man, we're starting this next year, gonna be goddamn amazing :allears:

:what: Would you like a bag?
:) Yes.
:what: 5p or 10p?
:downs: Yes

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Murderion posted:

I recently learned to love my tiny goblin feet, because it means I can pick up doc martens on their website for 1/2 to 1/4 their usual price. Otoh, I just learned why suede shoes were on sale. It's because they're suede.

:what: Would you like a bag today?
:v: *ignores me, possibly chattering away to his family in Foreign*
:what: Would you like a bag today? (while ensuring I make eye contact and point at the bags)
:v: *negative sounding grunt*
Lo and behold, after ringing everything up and leaving a pile of stuff in front of them...
:v: AAAA! Bag! Bag!

I hate working in a tourist trap during peak season, it's turning me into the weirdest racist. Now let me tell you about the inscrutable oriental and his unnatural lust for toblerones...

Even with native speakers, this still doesn't change.

:what::Would you like a bag today?
:v:: No thank you.
:what:: *hands reciept* Okay then, have a good day
:v:: Oh can I get a bag?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Tipping chat: What do you do in owner-operated takeout places (literally husband, wife, son, and son as the entire staff)?

Bonus: What do you do if they're Chinese and pretty much everything on the menu is $8.88?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Murderion posted:

Working in a hotel has made me realize two things:

The English are the absolute most entitled dicks on the planet.
The Germans are the nicest, kindest travelers.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sono posted:

Tipping chat: What do you do in owner-operated takeout places (literally husband, wife, son, and son as the entire staff)?

Bonus: What do you do if they're Chinese and pretty much everything on the menu is $8.88?

Tip enough to bring your paid price to $x.44. :grin:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I had a dream about retail last night. It took place in a Radio Shack that also sold lumber for some reason. Argued with a customer about a bridge he was making after he cut the line.

Something dumb like this almost happened, radioshack wanted to carry a special kind of drywall for "audiophiles." It was wo stupid even corporate realised it was a bad idea.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Something dumb like this almost happened, radioshack wanted to carry a special kind of drywall for "audiophiles." It was wo stupid even corporate realised it was a bad idea.

I'm impressed

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Glenn Quebec posted:

What does that mean?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Evil Agita posted:

What does that mean?

Does it matter? You have working legs, she doesn't.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sono posted:

Eh, I'd still tip. And for those who don't know, 8 is good fortune in Chinese culture. An all 8s phone numbers in China was auctioned off for something like a million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I actually saw someone pull the "Well you just lost a customer!' maneuver in real life for the first time today and it was in The Reject Shop of all places (a large chain of lovely cheap discount stores here in Australia). Some guy was in the toy aisle pawing through all the lovely cheap Matchbox cars and apparently he didn't see the exact one he wanted on the shelf so he reached up and pulled down a box stored on top of the shelf and started unpacking it. A store clerk told him to cut that out and he yelled "Well you just lost a customer!" and then immediately went back to looking through the toy cars that were out on the shelf.

I had someone pull that on me once. Guy came in wanting some formula 1 game, I forget which, said he'd seen it at the shop across the street for £x and we had it for £x+5 and could we price match. I called the store to confirm their price and they said they hadn't got any in stock, which meant we wouldn't price match. He insisted they had it and it was quiet so I went over there and hunted through all their pc games and couldn't find the thing. I asked someone behind the counter who turned out to be the person I spoke to on the phone and they told me again that they didn't have any. I went back and told the guy and he left in a huff. Twenty minutes later he comes back, waves a copy of the game at me and declares "you just lost a customer!". I can only assume he'd found the copy in the other store, hidden it so no one stole his bargain and then came over to our store to price match and get his loyalty points.

• Locked thread