Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, thanks for all the comments regarding the remote, controllers, and games.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

What's up, new Rift user buddy? :hfive: I thought the same about the tutorial; did you make yourself two of the dart guns as well? :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Was there ever a hack to run the original Doom in VR? I thought I read something about it but I can't find anything on google since it gets mixed up with the new Doom

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Like 90s doom? That would be terrible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Like 90s doom? That would be terrible.

There's a few games that copy the style, like Compound.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Was there ever a hack to run the original Doom in VR? I thought I read something about it but I can't find anything on google since it gets mixed up with the new Doom

I think there's a version of gz3doom with VR support.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Atomizer posted:

Hey, thanks for all the comments regarding the remote, controllers, and games.

What's up, new Rift user buddy? :hfive: I thought the same about the tutorial; did you make yourself two of the dart guns as well? :iamafag:

Sup :hfive:

I went crazy with the rockets. If you're looking for something else, The Lab is on Steam for free and it was a lot of fun too, though I will need to move some furniture around to really take advantage of the room scale stuff.

I always assumed VR was a gimmick and never really had any interest in it. But I tried out a Robo Recall demo at Best Buy and was instantly convinced. It's a shame the game selection is still so limited, and there is a lot of junk out there, but when it's good it's VERY good. I really hope they are working on more content like RR.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

Yeah. One of my favourites in the burgeoning VR genre of 'get really high and finish it in one sitting'

The guy who made L U N E and Warka Warka Flim Flam (which are both worth the couple bucks on Steam) has a bunch of pretty interesting free little trip-toyish experiments for free on his site cabbibo.com. He's also got a few really thought-provoking rants on there about VR, interactivity, etc. Warka Warka in particular nails the sensation of paddle + ball so closely that i find my brain 'remembering' it as real, more so than, for example, ripping apart robots in Robo Recall.

I'm about to get vague here but he makes a really good point that when most devs put, for example, a table in VR, we can just put our 'hand' straight through it, with no effect. Having these objects respond to the interaction of hand passing through in a believable way, say a 'bloop' noise and ripples, maybe little strings of VR-goop trailing off your controller, we might begin to perceive them as having their own sort of reality, as opposed to shallow reflections of the real world.

Also Chroma Lab is hella wicked.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

I dunno about Doom, but Quake 1 was playable with late 90s VR headsets back in the day.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I went crazy with the rockets. If you're looking for something else, The Lab is on Steam for free and it was a lot of fun too, though I will need to move some furniture around to really take advantage of the room scale stuff.

I always assumed VR was a gimmick and never really had any interest in it. But I tried out a Robo Recall demo at Best Buy and was instantly convinced. It's a shame the game selection is still so limited, and there is a lot of junk out there, but when it's good it's VERY good. I really hope they are working on more content like RR.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine what VR is going to be like (or to describe it to other people) if you've never experienced it before. I just decided to go for the Rift once the Touch bundle went on sale, particularly because I don't have room for the Vive's roomscale and I hear it's more complicated to set up or something like that. Either way it doesn't matter, because I'm super happy with the Rift!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/releases

It's gimmicky, like I wouldn't want to play doom like that. But it was neat to be "in" classic doom locations, and visit maps and stuff I made as a child in VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Arizona Sunshine
Raw Data
Accounting
SUPERHOT VR
Soundboxing
Gorn
House of the Dying Sun

Theres some stuff to keep your spirits up about the load of freebie garbage out there :) Everything there is good times. Only thing free is accounting though.

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine what VR is going to be like (or to describe it to other people) if you've never experienced it before. I just decided to go for the Rift once the Touch bundle went on sale, particularly because I don't have room for the Vive's roomscale and I hear it's more complicated to set up or something like that. Either way it doesn't matter, because I'm super happy with the Rift!

And even streaming really don't quite explain it. You really just need to get into it and try it.

You may have more space than you think as well. I'm pretty close on what steam wants for roomscale, and its actually short one direction but with the walls up and stuff, you get used to where things are pretty quickly. Give yourself enough room to take a step in each direction, and put your arms out in each step. If you can do that, a lot of "360" titles will be fine. You just have to pay attention to your guard walls and poo poo until you're used to your space.

ZombyDog posted:

I dunno about Doom, but Quake 1 was playable with late 90s VR headsets back in the day.

Luxor in vegas had one for a while. Was expensive. Was very very cool at the time. I'd imagine it would give me a headache these days.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2017

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches
A few (probably dumb) questions

Does your monitor's max resolution need to meet or beat the headset's resolution in order for the image to render correctly? Mine didn't when I tried and had to return a Vive back in April and I'm wondering if that's part of why it looked so bad that I couldn't even make out the sights on some models of gun in H3VR. I still have the same one, so i want to know if I need to replace it if I end up with a windows mixed reality as a gift for myself this winter.

On a related note, depending on who you read, Microsoft either hasn't announced whether WMR headsets will support SteamVR, or HAS announced that they won't. Does SteamVR need to be running in order for a VR Game in your Steam library to launch? Has anyone with a WMR devkit tried? Or was everyone in those amateur blog posts and comment sections saying "SteamVR" when they meant "Steam. Period." and this is an even dumber question than I thought.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan posted:

Does your monitor's max resolution need to meet or beat the headset's resolution in order for the image to render correctly? Mine didn't when I tried and had to return a Vive back in April and I'm wondering if that's part of why it looked so bad that I couldn't even make out the sights on some models of gun in H3VR. I still have the same one, so i want to know if I need to replace it if I end up with a windows mixed reality as a gift for myself this winter.

My rift works fine, with a single or dual 1080p screens. Can't imagine anyone having anything less than a single 1080 on a PC that can actually VR.

The Rift, I think runs everything independently, so technically you only need the screen to run windows anyways, and not every game mirrors in full screen. So I'd guess it dont matter.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

No, your display resolution doesn't matter. If things were that blurry you probably didn't have the Vive properly aligned with your eyes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

No, your display resolution doesn't matter. If things were that blurry you probably didn't have the Vive properly aligned with your eyes.

Yeah and getting measured was no big deal. Last time I was at sams club I asked the eye dude at sams. Took 2 seconds.

I oddly was very close, but its amazing how much clearer it is once I got it set to what its actually supposed to be at.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/901207733831061504

:lol:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IPD is important, but also make sure you have it fitted right also. It'll be blurry if you have the lenses sitting too high or low over your eyes

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

On a related note, depending on who you read, Microsoft either hasn't announced whether WMR headsets will support SteamVR, or HAS announced that they won't. Does SteamVR need to be running in order for a VR Game in your Steam library to launch? Has anyone with a WMR devkit tried? Or was everyone in those amateur blog posts and comment sections saying "SteamVR" when they meant "Steam. Period." and this is an even dumber question than I thought.

The HMD is actually its own monitor, that's why it has a connection to your video card. It makes no difference what the rest of your monitor setup is like. Your Vive must not've been adjusted correctly.

The SteamVR titles appear to have their own separate entries in your game list, so I think you can just launch them directly, although I haven't gotten into SteamVR yet.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

It's gimmicky, like I wouldn't want to play doom like that. But it was neat to be "in" classic doom locations, and visit maps and stuff I made as a child in VR.

Thanks! I don't expect it to be very playable, I was just curious about what it looked like since it's Doom and because the doom guy ran at like a hundred miles per hour in the original

e: I made it through E1M2 (playing with mouse + keyboard) before I started to feel too motion sick to continue. It was about what I expected.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 26, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

It'd be nice if it were easier to change the player movement to have less acceleration (reducing sim sickness) but that could break progression in certain maps. Otherwise it works pretty well provided you play in 360 standing scale with a game controller. I got through the first episode fine at least.

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches

Ralith posted:

I appreciate everyone's replies.

Just to let everyone know, I tried every increment on the IPD adjustment knob and the depth (i think there was a depth/distance one) multiple times in many sessions over the course of 2 days, and while it did make a huge difference, the best result was still untenable.

Although looking at some of the replies the description may have been an overstatement in spirit while technically true. The whole screen didn't look covered in Vaseline, the edges were blurry (though I had read about this, the size was a bit larger than I had read, disturbing more than just peripheral vision). The problem with the center and the gun sights was the screen door effect. So between the two I was left with one area between center and edge that actually looked good, but was physically a strain to view, like the view with glasses would be if you pushed your glasses all the way down, and had to tilt your head and strain your eyes to look down your nose through them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have both a rift and a Vive and I find the screen door effect is a little less noticeable in the rift and the area where everything is in focus is a little bit bigger. I think it's partially just a reality of the hardware at this point

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I would want to see Palmer buy Vive simply just to see people's heads explode.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope he buys it, goes bankrupt, then we never see or hear from him again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

I hope he buys it, goes bankrupt, then we never see or hear from him again

As long as the LG headset is decent.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Pavlov is getting very fun these days. The community has stepped up and provided a wealth of varied maps to suit all tastes, from decent quality CS map remakes to original-but-conventional maps to aim maps to weird gimmicky stuff for when you need a change of pace. A bunch of new guns recently added, including a very satisfying sawn-off double barreled shotgun, are icing on the cake.

Although looking at some of the replies the description may have been an overstatement in spirit while technically true. The whole screen didn't look covered in Vaseline, the edges were blurry (though I had read about this, the size was a bit larger than I had read, disturbing more than just peripheral vision). The problem with the center and the gun sights was the screen door effect. So between the two I was left with one area between center and edge that actually looked good, but was physically a strain to view, like the view with glasses would be if you pushed your glasses all the way down, and had to tilt your head and strain your eyes to look down your nose through them.
Specifically, it sounds like your Vive wasn't vertically aligned right. It's a thing people miss sometimes, because it's easy to just assume however it sits on your face when you first put it on is how it's meant to, but the straps are pretty adjustable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Absolutely, I've played it and it works pretty well but I find the sprites to be uncomfortable in VR. Some other goon said he loves it but we argued about it.

Dunno if its been updated from the DK2 though. Hard to google for since Doom 3 and Doom 4 VR are now a big deal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

Pavlov is getting very fun these days. The community has stepped up and provided a wealth of varied maps to suit all tastes, from decent quality CS map remakes to original-but-conventional maps to aim maps to weird gimmicky stuff for when you need a change of pace. A bunch of new guns recently added, including a very satisfying sawn-off double barreled shotgun, are icing on the cake.
\

How is that on a rift? Any idea? Like as of today anyways. It looks like it could be a lot of fun but while a refund isnt hard, id rather not dick with it if possible. If its pretty ok im down, but if its a mess then meh.

That and onward both look crazy fun. Need to pick that up.

EDIT: Should have just googled. Looks like its fine. Welp, another 10 bucks getting spent. Any rift owners with some tips?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 26, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

How is that on a rift? Any idea? Like as of today anyways. It looks like it could be a lot of fun but while a refund isnt hard, id rather not dick with it if possible. If its pretty ok im down, but if its a mess then meh.

That and onward both look crazy fun. Need to pick that up.

EDIT: Should have just googled. Looks like its fine. Welp, another 10 bucks getting spent. Any rift owners with some tips?

Biggest tip I can give is turn on snap turning, even if you don't use snap turning. With snap turning on you can use the A or B button (i forget which) to release the magazine, and the other to select fire mode. If you don't have it in snap turning mode you have to do all this with clicking and moving the thumbstick which is just weird.

I'm quite happy with pavlov's controls. It has proper grip/release holding of items and you can use both buttons instead of it just emulating a vive wand. My only problem with pavlov is the lag. Its one thing if your shots are lagging, I can get past that, but when its laggy to even pick up a clip, eject one, put a new one in, put down your gun, grab another gun, its just exhausting. It feels like the game is actively fighting you.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
Picked up a protube (https://www.protubevr.com/) and it arrived yesterday.

The Pros: Definitely makes rifles in games easier to control, sniper rifles especially. I'm not good at VR shooters yet, but it definitely feels like it'll be easier to learn. It's pretty easy to set to whatever shape / distance between controllers you want to set, although once you set it it's done, so pick your favorite rifle because that's all you'll be using (most rifles in Pavlov at least seem close enough to work with one setup). Something similar feels worthwhile if you're into multiplayer precision shooters. (Basically Pavlov or Onward.) Doesn't seem to mess with tracking at all.

The Cons: You have to remove the wrist straps on your controllers, and while I think you can get used to it, I dropped my controllers a few times figuring it out. (I ended up rigging my own using shoe strings tied around the Vive Controller's ring which seem to work pretty well.) The bar being below the controller holsters can make pulling mags out of guns awkward. Way too expensive for some 3D printed joints and controller holsters.

The only other real alternative seems to be this guy selling another 3D printed setup using magnets set into the top of the Vive controllers: https://tinyurl.com/ycn43q38

It seems to ALSO be too expensive for what it is, and based on reviews it A.) requires you to remove the magnet attachments on the controllers when not in use because it makes them heavy and may mess with tracking and B.) requires you to rig it so that the controller attachment points don't rotate and slide around with tape or whatever.

Might pick one up to compare anyway a few paychecks from now when I get some extra cash, since VR is amazing enough that I don't mind throwing too much cash at making it even moderately better anyway.

Anyone else have experience with similar products or know of anything on the horizon that accomplishes similar goals that's worth checking out? I mostly play games socially and don't spend 100% of my gaming time in VR because most of my friends can't afford it yet (The rift price cut helps, but many of them need to upgrade their PCs first, too), but I LOVE IT. And I want to be 100% prepped for that.

------------------------------------

As a secondary review, I also picked up the Vive Deluxe Audio strap, and it's SO GOOD. The Rift's setup is apparently similar, and it's loving SO MUCH CHEAPER NOW. So buy that if you haven't bought into VR yet. But if you've got a Vive and extra money, it makes using the headset significantly less of a hassle.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I posted this in the Discord, but it seems relevant here- the Hover Junkers guy talking about VR guns. Specifically trying to control two handed firearms and trying to stablise something when there's no physical stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrkXK3V2ik

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DareToSlack posted:

Anyone else have experience with similar products or know of anything on the horizon that accomplishes similar goals that's worth checking out?

Well, this is another 3D print, but in Pavlov I'm using one of my own design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2248283
Specifically, the stockless configuration.

What I like about it is how unobtrusive it is. It doesn't gently caress with reloading and you can pistol it up/throw things like normal.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

ZombyDog posted:

Quake 1 is really fun in VR, although running close to walls makes me a bit motion sick. There is an old Oculus port of it that that works perfectly with Revive.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Throwing in my support for Pavlov on the Rift, it plays super well and I've had a ton of fun in it. I've clocked about 7 hours now and mostly play Deathmatch.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

BMan posted:

Well, this is another 3D print, but in Pavlov I'm using one of my own design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2248283
Specifically, the stockless configuration.

What I like about it is how unobtrusive it is. It doesn't gently caress with reloading and you can pistol it up/throw things like normal.

https://www.strikervr.com/online-store/Arena-Infinity-Bundle-p84443331

do it (I'm too poor and it's vive)

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

The guy who made L U N E and Warka Warka Flim Flam (which are both worth the couple bucks on Steam) has a bunch of pretty interesting free little trip-toyish experiments for free on his site cabbibo.com. He's also got a few really thought-provoking rants on there about VR, interactivity, etc. Warka Warka in particular nails the sensation of paddle + ball so closely that i find my brain 'remembering' it as real, more so than, for example, ripping apart robots in Robo Recall.

I'm about to get vague here but he makes a really good point that when most devs put, for example, a table in VR, we can just put our 'hand' straight through it, with no effect. Having these objects respond to the interaction of hand passing through in a believable way, say a 'bloop' noise and ripples, maybe little strings of VR-goop trailing off your controller, we might begin to perceive them as having their own sort of reality, as opposed to shallow reflections of the real world.

Also Chroma Lab is hella wicked.

sorry, I got that address wrong, cabbibo's demos are at http://cabbibo.is/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Paingod556 posted:

I posted this in the Discord, but it seems relevant here- the Hover Junkers guy talking about VR guns. Specifically trying to control two handed firearms and trying to stablise something when there's no physical stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrkXK3V2ik

Neat video! Really enjoyed the insight.
Are the Rift people doing anything like those upcoming Valve controllers yet? Assuming they will only work for the Vive.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Rectus posted:

Quake 1 is really fun in VR, although running close to walls makes me a bit motion sick. There is an old Oculus port of it that that works perfectly with Revive.

While looking for Doom I also found this port of Quake 2 that's pretty good: https://github.com/q2vr/quake2vr/releases/tag/v2.0.0a

On the Rift controllers (and maybe others?) it lets you do wiimote-style aiming, has a lot of VR configuration options, and the turning snaps to angles to avoid motion sickness or something.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Love playing pavlov on e1m1 and the duke nukem map

I figured out how to reload while double fisting sawed offs and it is hilarious and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Songbearer posted:

Throwing in my support for Pavlov on the Rift, it plays super well and I've had a ton of fun in it. I've clocked about 7 hours now and mostly play Deathmatch.
I find S&D really ups the intensity. Stick with it some! Try to follow someone who already knows the map for a while at first so you don't end up lost and getting shot in the back. TDM's great for practicing a weapon (and as of the latest patch there's some really wonderful diversity in the weapons) but IMO S&D is the real game.