Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With family sharing, does it give you the family member's name that made the purchase on the email receipt you get?

Also apparently with ios11 you can share chunks of iCloud Drive space if you buy 200 GB or above, which will be handy.

Okay that's awesome. Will save me $3/month when that rolls out. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
As someone with young kids, family sharing is also bad because the kids can see and download any app the parent has ever bought.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With family sharing, does it give you the family member's name that made the purchase on the email receipt you get?

Also apparently with ios11 you can share chunks of iCloud Drive space if you buy 200 GB or above, which will be handy.

If you go into the app store, you can select your name in the top left and change it to any other family member, and see what they have purchased.
Unless your use-case is explicitly the one Apple push (one bill payer, ergo for young kids) this is a really poo poo way of doing things and needing to turn this on to share AM is a non-starter.
Spotify is a much cleaner option, its just a pity Apple restrict it to create a use-case for AM. But then, :Apple:. so

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

If you go into the app store, you can select your name in the top left and change it to any other family member, and see what they have purchased.
Unless your use-case is explicitly the one Apple push (one bill payer, ergo for young kids) this is a really poo poo way of doing things and needing to turn this on to share AM is a non-starter.
Spotify is a much cleaner option, its just a pity Apple restrict it to create a use-case for AM. But then, :Apple:. so

You can see apps purchased, but not subscriptions. Maybe that’s because you can share apps, but not subscriptions (unless it’s a family plan which is handled on the app backend).

I generally don’t have a problem with their app setup. It can be a little awkward trying to share media, but it’s not the frustrating experience tracking down an unknown subscription can be.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I feel like all of the constant rumors, leaks, and speculation have almost completely killed my interest in the iPhone 8. I'm sick of hearing about it at this point. I have a 7+ now and I'm on the upgrade program so I'm sure I will end up getting one anyway because new shiny, but I'm more ready for everyone to just shut up about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It’s just too bad that we have no control over when, where, and what sort of information we consume.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was at IKEA today (on a Saturday I know) and saw their new smart light system/Hue competitor. I wasn't really thinking so I just bought the wifi hub and a few light bulbs to play around with figuring I can just return it if I don't want it.

Has anyone used these before? I'm looking for some reviews/information on how well it works with iOS. I have no other smart lights so I don't particularly care about compatibility right now, but I guess being able to tell Siri to "turn on my bedroom desk lamp" would be a killer feature for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

quote:

There has been information going out today about the compatibility of TRÅDFRI. We can now inform you that TRÅDFRI is not yet compatible with Apple, Amazon and Google. The plan is that everything will work as we'd like this fall. We are very sorry for the confusion!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Uh well aren't the IKEA lights only available in white light? I can't guarantee that but last time I checked that was the case.

So if you want a somewhat cheaper white-light smart solution, they are probably alright.

I am a strong supporter of the Hue system. I know, it's kind of expensive. I have empathy for that concern. But they are the best bulbs, and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, they practice good iot security which I think will become important down the road.

I also REALLY like their wall switch solution. It sits on the wall like a regular switch, but it's actually a remote that you can remove from the wall and take it with you anywhere. It lets you cycle through up to 5 color scenes and change dimming on the fly.

So yeah. Hue is real good. It's also very compatible with Homekit and Echo. You can set the lights to activate when you get home and other snazzy features like that. For these reasons I find them worth the money.

And if you are only looking for a white light solution like the IKEA version, Hue's white light system is fairly affordable as well.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 26, 2017

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It’s just too bad that we have no control over when, where, and what sort of information we consume.

You’re right, but it sure gets old seeing my news feed covered up with articles I’m not reading about the latest CONFIRMED LEAK FEATURES

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hue white bulbs are like $15 apiece, $40 for three, and that seems like an incredibly reasonable price for a smart LED bulb that's going to last forever-ish.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue just updated their bridge a week or so so now you can control the white temperature on ambient bulbs through Homekit which was like the last obvious omission for the lights.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah the problem with Hue is that I need GU10 bulbs for the ceiling lights. A quick search showed that the Hue bulbs were €60 per bulb compared to €15/each for the Ikea. At any rate I bought standard E27 bulbs from Ikea since my main concern was to just get a feel for having smart lights so I figure I'd put them in a lamp or two to play around with first. But if I ever went all in there was no way I'm paying €60 a pop.

That sucks about HomeKit but oh well. Isn't it fall already? I honestly don't know since I'm from Arizona and the only "seasons" we had was "fiery death" during the months of … most of the year.

The colors do seem neat though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The equinox isn't til Sept 22. Retailer-speak for 'in the fall' is September/October, and then 'holiday season' is Nov/Dec.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Do Hue bulbs require any rewiring, or is the smart poo poo built into the bulb's base? I've been interested in... smart lighting... for a while now, but it all seemed too cost-prohibitive. Now, I could get behind $40 for 3 bulbs that last a real long time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Apparently the Ikea bulbs actually work with the Hue system so if i understand right I could just buy the Hue kit, use their colored bulbs in lamps and such, and then buy the cheap Ikea GU10 bulbs for my ceiling lights. That seems like the better option to be honest. Maybe I'll just order a Hue starter kit and see if I can connect these Ikea bulbs to it and whether or not Hue will treat them like a first class citizen or not.

What happened to the home automation/iot thread anyway I can't find it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

enojy posted:

Do Hue bulbs require any rewiring, or is the smart poo poo built into the bulb's base? I've been interested in... smart lighting... for a while now, but it all seemed too cost-prohibitive. Now, I could get behind $40 for 3 bulbs that last a real long time.

No re-wiring. Each Hue compatible bulb has some kind of local wifi mesh or whatever built into it, all you need is a Hub to control them all.

There are other solutions out there that does need a bit of rewiring though. Those are usually some kind of dongle that you'd plug your lamp into instead of to the wall.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have hue's throughout most my place and it's dope. Bulbs are stupid expensive, yeah. I hate getting a white only bulb because then you limit yourself. I mean I guess if you know it's a dedicated reading Lamp. I think they're on 3rd gen now which means you can get the 2nd gen color bulbs cheaper, they just don't have as good of colors

Controlling lights with alexa/siri is dope and the future

Plus iconnecthue (best app I've used so far) has a nice simple widget

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Roughly half the lights in my house are in ceiling fans and/or some kind of weird bulb, and there are also a couple of LED fixtures with non-replaceable bulbs. I don't think smart lights are really for me. Maybe next house (in like 20 years).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently the Ikea bulbs actually work with the Hue system so if i understand right I could just buy the Hue kit, use their colored bulbs in lamps and such, and then buy the cheap Ikea GU10 bulbs for my ceiling lights. That seems like the better option to be honest. Maybe I'll just order a Hue starter kit and see if I can connect these Ikea bulbs to it and whether or not Hue will treat them like a first class citizen or not.

Please post an update if that's indeed the case, I have several GU10 bulbs in my apartment and the Hue bulbs are way too expensive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Doesn't have to be the whole house 🤷🏽‍♀️

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

enojy posted:

Now, I could get behind $40 for 3 bulbs that last a real long time.
Like Boris mentioned, you need one Hue Bridge in your house, too (or two if you go nuts and have more than 50 smart bulbs). The bridge + 2 plain white light kit is $70 on Amazon right now.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Page two. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Doesn't have to be the whole house 🤷🏽‍♀️

Yep. My plan is for home theater. Press play, lights gradually dim.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep. My plan is for home theater. Press play, lights gradually dim.
Man, between Hue, Harmony Hub, and Dot im not even sure I remember how to control our A/V setup with buttons any more.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Man, between Hue, Harmony Hub, and Dot im not even sure I remember how to control our A/V setup with buttons any more.

Maybe someone should build an app that ties them all together :downs:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If I can do it without a dot or Alexa thing then that route is also doable. Eventually I get the hub, it looks awesome but my 650 is just fine in an apartment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

They're the same framework but I don't think they work together yet. Both Ikea and Hue have stated that they want them to work but I think IKEA needs to update a few things before they see and play with each other. (unless this already happened and I missed it)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe someone should build an app that ties them all together :downs:
There is one, it’s called “Alexa”.

(We have an AppleTV, too, but the Dot just has more capabilities for what we do currently than Home).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok this is really loving stupid. I didn't bother buying a physical switch thing since the whole point was to use my phone and/or automate it and now I'm trying to pair the bulbs to the Gateway/Hub thing and the app won't let me. Apparently a "steering device" is required. What the gently caress this is beyond stupid.

e: And in order for me to connect these ikea bulbs to a Hue Hub it needs to connect to the Ikea Hub so that the firmware can be updated. And in order to do that I need to buy a loving switch for it. Why can't it just connect to the god drat Hub? God drat it I think I'm just gonna return it all sorry for the detail.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 26, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVs Ian posted:

Roughly half the lights in my house are in ceiling fans and/or some kind of weird bulb, and there are also a couple of LED fixtures with non-replaceable bulbs. I don't think smart lights are really for me. Maybe next house (in like 20 years).

Yeah I have a similar issue, ceiling fans with tiny bulbs in them in every room. To add insult, the wall switches don't do anything and the pull cords for the lights have those little splitter things on them and they're forever coming off. So I have smart bulbs in uplighters and similar in each room too.

The nice bonus is being able to set it so if I come home and it's after 9pm but before 3am, it'll automatically turn on the lights for me as well as turning my backyard lights on after sunset and other things like that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
[quote="“WithoutTheFezOn”" post="“475772772”"]
Page two. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963
[/quote]

Petition to rename thread “updating lightbulb firmware is a thing now”

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Maybe it's a weird question but what exactly are you guys using colored bulbs for? Unless you're constantly having dance parties at your house, I can't see a need to be able to make a bulb green or blue or whatever.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
There was an app called Hue disco which tied color changes to the beat and even had a strobe function. It was pretty dope. Another thing that was supposed to be a thing was syncing with tv shows for added atmosphere or something but that never really took off.

Other than that I have no idea.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is there an app to flush the toilet yet?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

Is there an app to flush the toilet yet?

"Why are you walking to the gas station to poo poo for the third day this week?"

My toilet is still updating its firmware.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a poo poo tracking app but it kept crashing logging my two hour poop mixes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Maybe it's a weird question but what exactly are you guys using colored bulbs for? Unless you're constantly having dance parties at your house, I can't see a need to be able to make a bulb green or blue or whatever.

Why not? You're boring.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

"Why are you walking to the gas station to poo poo for the third day this week?"

My toilet is still updating its firmware.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Mostly as a toy to play with for a week then forget about.

Very occasionally I’ll set lights to a slow color loop while SuperChilling™ listening to music.

Turning the lights red and firing up Let’s Get It On by Marvin Gaye is always good for an eye roll from Mrs. NoFez :v:

On the more subdued side, being able to shift the yellow/blue tint of mostly white lights can be handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah can't you do a f.lux kind of thing with the new Hues? Seems pretty awesome.