Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

dukerson posted:

Just finished TZA (and XII in general for the first time). I liked it more than the consensus here, but the momentum on the last third of the game really just vanishes, both from a gameplay progression perspective (really didn't feel like any meaningful change in gameplay once you max out your non-Accessory licenses, which happened to me pretty early on) and a plot perspective (felt like they really undersold the urgency of Pharos). Bahamut being the 'final dungeon' was a weird choice, especially since it looked like it could have been a dope sprawling tower.

Still a fun game though! Might go back and collect the remaining espers/hunts at some point.

Hunts, Espers and optional dungeons are the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I am certain the man who directed The Third Birthday is just terrified of the idea of nude mods.

his opinion is like the one expressed in pecker: at least you can't see any pubic hair. that would be indecent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there like a TressFX for dicks

Have you played that Conan game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I am certain the man who directed The Third Birthday is just terrified of the idea of nude mods.

tabata rabbit all begging to not get thrown into the naked anime lady patch

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
who here is hype for the secret of mana remake?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i want it to be good, but i'll believe it when i see it.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

fridge corn posted:

I prefer the original 2D sprites, but I'm still hype for it. Secret of Mana is probably the game I've got the most nostalgia for, it was so full of colour and whimsy and just pulled me in like no other game at the time. It's also the game that got me to check out other Squaresoft titles like FFIV, VI and Chrono Trigger.

I wish I could get the SNES Mini and play the original in full Nostalgia Mode, but Nintendo's made that virtually impossible so I'll get the remake I guess.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks promising to me. Dig the presentation they're going with for the game.

It also makes me hope that after remaking Adventures and SoM that they remake SD3 and we finally get a proper release. And maybe a Legend remake after...?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fridge corn posted:

right now it is taking every fiber of my being not to just shout gently caress YES in every god damned topic this morning, so I'm pretty ecstatic.

edit: I failed

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 25, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I see that there are still those individuals in the world who have yet to understand that every remake of a game ever released has always been bad. I pity you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

I see that there are still those individuals in the world who have yet to understand that every remake of a game ever released has always been bad. I pity you.

Tidus Fantasy X

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gologle posted:

Odin Sphere

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gologle posted:

Adventures of Mana was my favorite game of 2016 and I just finished platinum'ing FFXII.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Adventures of Mana was my favorite game of 2016 and I just finished platinum'ing FFXII.

Adventures of Mana was a solid remake. A bit too faithful to the original (running out of keys in the final dungeon was...frustrating), but having more room for dialogue and the graphical changes were pretty nice.

At any rate it gives me reason to be optimistic for Secret's remake if they do it a similar way. It's been a long time since I played, but IIRC Secret's main problem were its rather major bugs, something I imagine the remake will fix. Being a faithful remake will work better for it than something with more archaic design like Adventures.

Of course it's hard to tell how faithful it'll be in a minute-long trailer. Graphics seem like a pretty faithful translation of SoM's 2D style at least.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

At any rate it gives me reason to be optimistic for Secret's remake if they do it a similar way. It's been a long time since I played, but IIRC Secret's main problem were its rather major bugs, something I imagine the remake will fix. Being a faithful remake will work better for it than something with more archaic design like Adventures.

poo poo, the phone port fixed the most egregious stuff already. Things like adding hitsparks so you know when you're actually hitting an enemy solves pretty much all of it, because now you know when you didn't actually make contact, when you made contact but the damage will be calculated on the next "tick" of the timer (so it's pointless to attack when an ally hit for that next tick), when you made contact but missed, etc.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
They're remaking the wrong Mana game :saddowns: give me a SD3 remake. It's Secret of Mana with a job system.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Steam page for Secret of Mana is up. 40€. That's... a lot.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

e: oh the preorder is live on PSN as well, same price.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I saw the listing earlier on PSN as well.

I love the fact that the minimap is just the original sprite work.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Veib posted:

£30 here in the uk

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

FFX and FFXII HD are fantastic but I guess those are more like definitive editions of the original games than remakes

Oath in Felghana is better than Ys 3

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
people seem to like the Crash remake that got released this summer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Veib posted:

i rescind my previous statement i preordered it

when i was little, i wanted secret of mana for like two years. but it was no longer being sold regularly in my area by 1994. i found it one day, though, it was wonderful. it's a pretty perfect rpg for a kid, not too meaty and not too wordy, but also the story is bigger than what you've come to expect out of sonic and mario and it's really generous with the damage math.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 26, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apart from spikey tiger, gently caress that thing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Apart from spikey tiger, gently caress that thing

when i was 8 i truly believed that the spiky suit boys armor had a special property that gave extra reduced damage from spikey tiger, and only spikey tiger

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was never sure if the Neko that sells you the best armour you can get before the final dungeon was actually a semi hidden secret or I was just a dumbass kid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
part of me wants to say that he's at least a little out of the way, but a bigger part of me just wants to call you a stupid kid because i'm a jackass

square please include lv10 weapon orbs, and make them 1/65536 drops from early game enemies so i can relive the joy of finding a secret ninth bow orb

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Neko was a cautionary tale about the power of franchise chains because that fucker sold everything at an insane markup compared to the local merchants.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

Odin Sphere, like Sakurazuka said. That's a remake that took an okay game and made it great.

Also I liked Romancing SaGa for the PS2, but I'm a weirdo SaGa fan so :shrug:

EDIT: Oh poo poo how am I forgetting REmake

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 26, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The remake of Tales of Destiny is vastly superior to the original PSX game as well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FireRed/LeafGreen is better than RBY and HeartGold/SoulSilver is better than GSC.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

looks like remakes are in fact good

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Raxivace posted:

The remake of Tales of Destiny is vastly superior to the original PSX game as well.

The PSX Tales of Phantasia was better than the SFC one. But then the GBA one was way worse wasn't it? In conclusion, remakes are a land of contrasts.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

fridge corn posted:

I'd be excited if it didn't look like a phone game and worse than the original looked 20+ years ago.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
but it doesn't look like mobile trash! it's a great graphical overhaul, and it even remains faithful to the source material :)

what we can see of the UI, maybe that looks overly sterile like mobage refuse, but even then that's less indicative of phone games and more the direction that simple (read: non-AAA) UIs have been trending in for years now.

Harrow posted:

Also I liked Romancing SaGa for the PS2, but I'm a weirdo SaGa fan so :shrug:

nah minstrel song is a fantastic remake. it keeps everything you love about saga (specialized stat growth, battle rank, sparking techs, hundreds of insanely obscure quests, kenji ito) and drops everything you don't (imbalanced enemy progression with an overly-difficult early game and a lategame where you don't even get encounters appropriate to your br)

i guess it did keep the whole "point of no return in a goddamn saga game" thing but hey

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 26, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

some guy on the bus posted:

I'd be excited if it didn't look like a phone game and worse than the original looked 20+ years ago.

orchestrated score and local multiplayer sounds amazingly amazing like nothing I have ever seen before.
So much so that when I got to bed every night I think of it and.....
Well let's not discuss the rest!!
It's a must buy when it comes out ;)

Wood yeah

Can't wait

To buy this!!

My ultimate fantasy......

Xxxxx

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

The PSX Tales of Phantasia was better than the SFC one. But then the GBA one was way worse wasn't it? In conclusion, remakes are a land of contrasts.
I didn't play the PSX or SNES versions of Phantasia myself but the GBA version didn't feel super great to play.

However the second PSP remake of Phantasia is the definitive version of that game as far as I'm concerned. It takes out the awful spell freeze which does wonders for that game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I hope SoM has a retranslation or some cut content (the cartridge we got was pared down significantly from the cd-rom it was developed to be) but I'm not holding my breath. It'll probably have a bonus dungeon and that's it.

Still gonna buy it. Even at that egregious price point.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

but it doesn't look like mobile trash! it's a great graphical overhaul, and it even remains faithful to the source material :)

It looks like Final Fantasy 4 DS. The game that every time I recommend it to someone I have to go "Yeah, I know it looks hideous as gently caress but the rest is so good it's worth putting up with how ugly it is."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

one can only wonder: is there a chrono trigger remake around the corner??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol it's £33 yikes