Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

OctaviusBeaver posted:

BWM: Taking giant student loans and then being shocked and indignant that you have to pay it back.

I paid off my own student loans a couple years out of college and nearly a decade ago.

It was a joke, you see. About the dumb economic structures in this country and the "freedom" to become massively indebted for basic things like education and health care that people in other countries don't have to worry as much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

brugroffil posted:

I paid off my own student loans a couple years out of college and nearly a decade ago.

It was a joke, you see. About the dumb economic structures in this country and the "freedom" to become massively indebted for basic things like education and health care that people in other countries don't have to worry as much about.

college is not "basic things" lmao. most people do not, and should not, go to college.

even in countries where it's free, generally fewer people go to college than in america. see for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ohgodwhat posted:

But selling drugs is GWM?

I think that guy was dipping into his own supply, which is BWDrugDealing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Received a check for $18,000. Need advice

It starts off so well...

quote:

Well, my first question is: Is it even safe for me to deposit a check this large? It was a gift from an Aunt and Uncle. I'm assuming they worked it out with tgeir accountant and either decided to eat the gift tax, or since it was a gift from two people it doesn't go past the 14k per person limit. Second, I'm a 1099 employee, and pay my taxes every year with pretty much no write offs. Is this grounds for auditing me? It's all in one check, so that's what concerns me. I don't have anything to hide, but I really dont want to have to pay taxes on this money. Third, if it is safe to accept all at once, I have a few investment ideas which I'd like advice/opinions on. So with this check, and my incoming paycheck, I'll have $25,000. Easily the most money I've ever had in my life. I'm 25, single, no kids, and I rent. So zero tax write offs. I wad planning to put 5-6k of my money before the check into an IRA to lower my income and also get a retirement account of some sort going. I'm also planning to buy a house in early 2018, so between 3-9k of it will be going towards down payment on a house, depending on the loan program. I'd also like to keep ~5k as a rainy day fund in case I get hurt or lose my job. That leaves me with 5K-13K left to invest with. I was thinking of going with a cryptocurrency after doing a ton more research. Do you guys have any advice on that? Or other suggestions for investment? Thank you in advance.

He's getting reasonable advice, but the buttcoiners have also smelled fresh meat and are circling.

quote:

Complete disagree about cryptos. Buying Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc. is a way of investing in the future of the blockchain the same way buying Tesla is investing in the future of self-driving/electric cars. Sure, BTC might go to 0 just like Tesla might, but you buy it because you believe in the technology. Buying BTC/ETH is the best way of investing in the technology that will revolutionize the way we transfer wealth.
Do not write it off so quickly. It is a very valid investment vehicle, so long as you understand its risks and diversify. Putting 5% of your net worth into cryptos won't affect you much if it goes to 0, but will have life changing consequences if it goes mainstream.

quote:

Buying Bitcoin is also like buying a chunk of the Bitcoin ecosystem and network. As it develops, you get richer. It's not necessarily pure speculation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I say let the kid go for it. He's 25 so it's a good time to be insanely speculative with your investing since you have 40 years to make up any losses. This is of course assuming he's going to stay employed and make continuous contributions.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Zo”" post="“475761121”"]
college is not “basic things” lmao. most people do not, and should not, go to college.

even in countries where it’s free, generally fewer people go to college than in america. see for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment
[/quote]

College is one of those tricky things that’s both a personal benefit and a public good. It’d be better phrased as vocational since you want a skilled workforce, but everyone can’t be the project manager.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

But if we let poor and coloreds have nice things that's starting down the slippery slope of social equality and maybe even eliminating racism entirely.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

But if we let poor and coloreds have nice things that's starting down the slippery slope of social equality and maybe even eliminating racism entirely.

But a colorblind and just society can still find legitimate people to hate, like the Irish.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Education is in fact a "basic thing" and whether people choose to go or not, loading your younger generation with massive, massive debt is bad with economy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zo posted:

college is not "basic things" lmao. most people do not, and should not, go to college.

even in countries where it's free, generally fewer people go to college than in america. see for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

Yeah dont go to college if you are happy being a dirty poor person, i guess.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

But dividing society into a caste of permanently poor service workers and a caste of educated knowledge workers, where social mobility is possible only through military service or a lifetime of inescapable debt, is GWM!

:thermidor:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Oh good, this again.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Enfys posted:

Received a check for $18,000. Need advice

It starts off so well...

He's getting reasonable advice, but the buttcoiners have also smelled fresh meat and are circling.

Lol at saying buying a tesla is an investment

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

C.H.O.M.E posted:

It's worked out great for Tesla shareholders

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

C.H.O.M.E posted:

That ridiculousness stuck out to me too. A loaded one will lose about $40K of value in the first year.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

brugroffil posted:

Education is in fact a "basic thing" and whether people choose to go or not, loading your younger generation with massive, massive debt is bad with economy

You know College has costs even if the government is paying for it, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's a fair bit of daylight between "share of distributed cost for government funding" and "permanent indebtedness".

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That could be amazing with money, if it turns out like Kickstarter potato salad guy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Foma posted:

You know College has costs even if the government is paying for it, right?

You just blew my mind bro

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

That could be amazing with money, if it turns out like Kickstarter potato salad guy.
It won't. The potato salad thing blew up because it wasn't trying to be anything but satire. This smacks too hard of desperation.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Subjunctive posted:

There's a fair bit of daylight between "share of distributed cost for government funding" and "permanent indebtedness".

The college educated are going likely to be the higher earners in society, you are literally suggesting taking tax money from lower earners to fund higher earners vs having higher earners pay their own way.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Foma posted:

The college educated are going likely to be the higher earners in society, you are literally suggesting taking tax money from lower earners to fund higher earners vs having higher earners pay their own way.

You're right we should start forcing everyone to pay for 100% of their education. After all those dirty poors are always going to be poor, why provide free high school/middle school?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Foma posted:

If only you could adjust tax rates.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Enfys posted:

Oh good, this again.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Foma posted:

There is absolutely no reason why this would follow from education being publicly funded.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How about we just agree that 18 year olds shouldn't take on lifetime debt?

My guess is making student loans dischargeable (even if it took longer than 7 years) would discourage as much easy lending and probably lower overall tuition costs in the long term. We don't necessarily have to nationalize higher education to fix its problems.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

That ridiculousness stuck out to me too. A loaded one will lose about $40K of value in the first year.

As stupid as the rest of it is, I'm pretty sure he meant buying tesla stock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As stupid as the rest of it is, I'm pretty sure he meant buying tesla stock.

You aren't very fun.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

I know it's a toucan but:

"In the summer puffins’ bills are a distinctive bright red, blue and yellow, hence their nicknames Sea Parrot, Bottle Nose and Clown of the Ocean. In winter the colourful outer part of the beak is shed, leaving a smaller, duller one behind."

There is indeed a bird whose beak comes off!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

ranbo das posted:

You're right we should start forcing everyone to pay for 100% of their education. After all those dirty poors are always going to be poor, why provide free high school/middle school?

To instill in them the work ethic for their future lives as service workers and belief that America is the land of opportunity and it's their fault if they're stuck in poverty. Finding the few people who can overcome that and join the rest of society is a bonus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Horses turn feral in only two weeks out in the wild. Their tusks grow out and they begin foraging and hunting like their primitive ancestors. And because they reproduce by mitosis, one feral horse can quickly become a dozen or more with in a few months. States like Texas have a real feral horse problem where they will destroy farmland and eat pets if they are left out at night. Releasing a horse into the wild isn't just a dick thing to do to the horse. It's a dick thing to do to the environment.

So that's where unicorns come from.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

I wonder if 'debt' encompasses all debts like mortgages and student loans. Being in debt because you're still paying off your student loans or because you got an affordable 30-year mortgage is very different than someone with maxed cards or even carrying balances on them consistently. Having said that, this is the real killer:

:ohdear:

As someone else has pointed out this is only full time and doesn't include part time or permanent freelancers

The number of people who don't work full time but have multiple part time jobs and can't sace money is disgusting, raise minimum wage to a livable wage, eat the rich

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Foma posted:

Or, crazy thought, tax the rich so that people can get an education. Fuckin wild.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Zillow sent me an email with some pretty dope houseboats.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

oRenj9 posted:

Sounds like a good idea for a thread.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

Its where I keep my horse.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

oRenj9 posted:

There were more related listicles at the bottom, like "7 things you didn't know about floating homes and houseboats."
I know I posted a video in the houseboat thread here in BFC, not sure about this thread:

CAMI Terra Wind amphibious RV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za63ltkMGGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

$1.2 million :stare: