Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Decius posted:

You seem to interpret malice, when the far simpler answer is: People like the bad guy defeated and the good guy winning in their superhero fairy tales. Or is the Disney spirit the reason why Batman defeats Bane and Superman Zod?

I don't know whether this supports or refutes your argument, but Watchmen. And maybe Spawn, but my memory of Spawn in general is like a hazy fever dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dareon posted:

I don't know whether this supports or refutes your argument, but Watchmen. And maybe Spawn, but my memory of Spawn in general is like a hazy fever dream.

Watchmen is a conscious deconstructions of a genre (like Logan too) - although the movie adaption of one for comic books, that's why it doesn't work well -, so it would be hard to be seen as supporting your argument, when its whole purpose is to rail against conventions. And even those are very tame compared to deconstructions of the Western genre, the Mafia movie or the Action hero genre.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 25, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nessus posted:

He is neither handsome, nor does he have pathos. Useless as a film character, save as a henchman.

Taskmaster had a four issue series a few years back that had him painted as a tragic figure that would be interesting to adapt. And a town full of Hitler clones that get punched up!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Taskmaster would probably work better as a TV/streaming series, really. You could explore the supervillain side of the MCU, bring in a few more known villains at that power level, stuff like that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

He is neither handsome, nor does he have pathos. Useless as a film character, save as a henchman.

IIRC, he is handsome, he just happens to wear a mask that looks like a skull, which isn't pretty.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aren't the film rights for Taskmaster in a big ol' grey area between Disney/Fox and nobody's cared enough to argue it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

IIRC, he is handsome, he just happens to wear a mask that looks like a skull, which isn't pretty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno how you'd do Taskmaster on the screen without him looking terrible.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

zoux posted:

I dunno how you'd do Taskmaster on the screen without him looking terrible.

You'd have to give him the UDON costume. There's no way a super-merc would spend 4+ hours prior to a simple meeting just so he could have a scary-rear end face that does everything a natural face does.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sockser posted:

Aren't the film rights for Taskmaster in a big ol' grey area between Disney/Fox and nobody's cared enough to argue it?

I know he was on Disney XDs Spiderman show here a few years back.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess you could use the Ultimate suit. It's terrible but at least would look fine on film.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

Taskmaster's complete absence in the MCU baffles me because he's like the exact character people want in a super hero movie

He'd be perfect for Deadpool 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

You'd have to give him the UDON costume.

The what?

I guess they could just go with one of those half-skull mask things that all the dudes wear in Psychopathic Records rap videos.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Mastermind posted:

Taskmaster would probably work better as a TV/streaming series, really. You could explore the supervillain side of the MCU, bring in a few more known villains at that power level, stuff like that.

Wasn't "Superior Foes" like that? I remember a ton of those pages getting posted, and Taskmaster would fit right in with that kind of fun.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

zoux posted:

The what?

I guess they could just go with one of those half-skull mask things that all the dudes wear in Psychopathic Records rap videos.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Who What Now posted:

He'd be perfect for Deadpool 2.

He'll yes

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Tasky'd be great in Daredevil or Iron Fist.

They've made enough references to the movie stuff, that he could have just watched them on TV, picked up some of the shield stuff, or Black Panther's moves.

Pick up Daredevil's fighting style, and beat the ever loving crap out of Danny Rand, until Danny starts using the fist.

"Wait. You have a glowing magic fist? Nope. I'm out. I wasn't paid for that."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is Taskmaster a mutant or is he supposed to be a regular human with one neat trick?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

marshmallow creep posted:

Is Taskmaster a mutant or is he supposed to be a regular human with one neat trick?

Chemically-altered human. Like Captain America/Daredevil/Luke Cage/Spoderman.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Didn't they give him selective amnesia in one of his solo series too? Where he got a ~tragic~ twist that he forgets everything that isn't movement so he doesn't even recognize his wife anymore?

That was super dumb.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zore posted:

Didn't they give him selective amnesia in one of his solo series too? Where he got a ~tragic~ twist that he forgets everything that isn't movement so he doesn't even recognize his wife anymore?

That was super dumb.

A side effect of the primer is severe declarative memory loss. The more implicit memories (i.e. knowledge and abilities) he learns, the more explicit memories (i.e. personal experience) he loses. Because of his explicit memory loss, the Org (Mercedes Merced) has acted as Taskmaster's surrogate memory, his banker, and his handler for his entire criminal career.

So, yes, he forgets his family.

And that story was good, you goon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dareon posted:

And those movies were such resounding financial and critical successes.

Toshimo posted:

Not only was it bad, it also made the character impossible to ever use again without just ignoring that story, because it ruins everything interesting about him.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 25, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toshimo posted:

A side effect of the primer is severe declarative memory loss. The more implicit memories (i.e. knowledge and abilities) he learns, the more explicit memories (i.e. personal experience) he loses. Because of his explicit memory loss, the Org (Mercedes Merced) has acted as Taskmaster's surrogate memory, his banker, and his handler for his entire criminal career.

So, yes, he forgets his family.

Was that established before Avengers Academy?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Was that established before Avengers Academy?

It was established in a mini-series that came out a bit before Avengers Academy. It was a complete retcon and contradicts almost all of his previous appearances.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who could ever forget the pathos of the skull-faced man in a leotard forgetting his family in exchange for kung-fu skills?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2017

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

And those movies were such resounding financial and critical successes.

Not only was it bad, it also made the character impossible to ever use again without just ignoring that story, because it ruins everything interesting about him.

I have mixed feelings about that mini. If it was an Ultimates thing it would have been fine, and it was a fun enough story on its own, but it was definitely out of nowhere and not really consonant with his previous appearances. It's probably for the best that people have generally ignored it but there was that one really nice issue of Avengers Academy about him and Finesse that hinged on the mini-series/ premise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

I know he was on Disney XDs Spiderman show here a few years back.

IIRC Disney has the animation/video game/everything else rights for everything Marvel, it's just the film rights that are a clusterfuck, so that doesn't really prove where Taskmaster's film rights are.

e: For content, here's the World's Finest in Super Sons #6

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 26, 2017

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Obviously I like Taskmaster, but I'm mostly surprised Agents of Shield hasn't used him because he's cheap to do. No special effects are required. You don't even need a stuntman that can do a lot of different styles of martial arts or gymnastics, you can just put different guys or even girls in the suit.

I think he would fit best about now in AoS or IF in his capacity as the best trainer in comics. Someone could finally teach Rand how to fight. It doesn't hurt that he's copied some of the best smacktalking skills in the business and seen Full Metal Jacket. It would also be pretty funny to see him constantly visiting that kid with the camcorder from Luke Cage and cleaning him out of everything new. Then you've got the drama of when he's inevitably paid enough to go against someone he's trained.

I'm not a big fan of his memory loss retcon but the mini it's in is pretty good. The amnesia seems especially out of place because his power is called photographic reflexes and it used to include a photographic memory. The udon suit is more filmable than his standard but in between the image inducer and hard-light generator it made him too powerful. The 2xspeed movement from the Udon mini's gotta go for the same reason. The cape is to hide the small armory that he usually carries but the generator replaced most of it. He started out as an Avengers villain and he's supposed to be powerful(not breaking his own back copying Slapstick) but not truly superhuman. He's originally a human with a rare neurological talent, like Bullseye, and that's about the right speed for him.

Speaking of Bullseye, does anyone remember what book it was in that he trained to be the best pitcher on earth? He hired Taskmaster to impersonate all the major league batters so he could practice.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

TwoPair posted:

IIRC Disney has the animation/video game/everything else rights for everything Marvel, it's just the film rights that are a clusterfuck, so that doesn't really prove where Taskmaster's film rights are.

e: For content, here's the World's Finest in Super Sons #6

This is cute but not gonna lie, its also what I hate about the "super sons". All it ends up being at its core is "Batman and Superman, but as kids!".

It makes me miss the days of PAD's Young Justice and Waid's Impulse. The 90s teen sidekicks all had their own unique personalities and were different as night and day from their adult counterparts.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 26, 2017

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Knives Amilli posted:

This is cute but not gonna lie, its also what I hate about the "super sons". All it ends it being at its core is "Batman and Superman, but as kids!".

It makes me miss the days of PAD's Young Justice and Waid's Impulse. The 90s teen sidekicks all had their own unique personalities and were different as night and day from their adult counterparts.

Skeevy 90s Superboy with the leather jacket and the lovely haircut will always be my favorite Superboy

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Skeevy 90s Superboy with the leather jacket and the lovely haircut will always be my favorite Superboy

Same. I loved Kon as the brash, headstrong horn dog teen hero. It was everything you'd expect a teen hero to be.

I love the idea that Kon just randomly flies to Gotham to gently caress with Tim.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what is this a panel for ants?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lunatic Sledge posted:

God bless whoever I first saw post the link to that cheap cosplay Death and Return of Superman video. Starring Elijah Wood as Cyborg Superman.

I can't think about 90's superboy without hearing that drat music clip.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 26, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Does anyone have the panel from Return when he's staring at Supergirl's tits and says "I was chest choking...I mean, just joking!"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Synthbuttrange posted:

what is this a panel for ants?

Right click,bing lookup.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I always loved the Taskmaster/Deadpool/Bullseye friendly rivalry thing where they try to murder each other and then go hang out after because it's all just for money.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Comedy gold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Push El Burrito posted:

I always loved the Taskmaster/Deadpool/Bullseye friendly rivalry thing where they try to murder each other and then go hang out after because it's all just for money.

From Deadpool Vol 2, #11 I believe, when Bullseye was being Hawkeye.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Young Bullseye and Deadpool burning down a school together in the next issue was heartwarming :kimchi: I would read more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Ben Grimm in France during Civil War