Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
First world problems itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty much. I sure as hell don't want third world diseases and infections, though. :yikes: Putting the trash outside and (apparently) badly sealed was a bad idea and now I'm paranoid over flies. I'm gonna clean the poo poo out of the apartment when I get home.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

mindphlux posted:

The leftovers struggle is real tho...
Last night's leftovers are today's lunch. No leftovers? Fine, use frozen lunches I cook in batches.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've just changed up my cooking menu so that I have minimized leftovers and also eliminate food waste. It's kinda limited me from some things because I kept finding it too much effort to use all of it up (looking at you massive sangria watermelons)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've also started removing things from my potential menu that I end up not liking, which is good when I cook a relatively small amount. No reason to make something when you aren't dying to eat it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is my personal strategy for minimizing food waste:

Most of the meat I buy goes in the freezer unless I'm planning to use it the same day. If i'm certain I'll be cooking using some meat I'll move it from the freezer to the fridge the night before. Even if I forget, I can just sous vide it up to temperature in a couple hours. If you don't have a sous vide device you can quick-defrost using a bowl of water, assuming it's not some massive frozen roast.

I buy a huge bag of spinach from Costco. If I'm pressed for time during the week, I throw together a simple spinach salad with some chicken breast that I've cooked. The great thing about using spinach as a salad green is that if I have a bunch left at the end of the week, I can simply cook it down to approximately 10% of its previous volume and just eat the rest of it.

That's pretty much it. If inspiration strikes during the week I'll stop at the store on the way home and buy just enough to make enough for me and my wife, as well as leftovers for her lunch the next day (I prep all my workday lunches the weekend before).

Really, just be thoughtful the next time you go grocery shopping. Literally write a list of recipes you plan to cook, and shop only for those ingredients. Don't buy things just because they look good.

Also, one of my biggest and most important rules that I break all the fuckin' time, don't shop hungry. You'll end up buying twice the amount you expected.

Oh also, I'm a human garbage dump who will eat all leftovers and I don't really get palate fatigue, so I'm lucky in that regard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I do my part to minimize waste by eating absurd amounts of food every single day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Also, one of my biggest and most important rules that I break all the fuckin' time, don't shop hungry. You'll end up buying twice the amount you expected.

That's when I end up with a bunch of Little Debbie poo poo in my cart

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Speaking of grocery shopping, some Kroger locations have this thing called clicklist. It's super cool, you order what you want online and then just pick it up whenever you schedule. It's been super great for saving cash and meal planning. The meats and veggies I've gotten through it have been as good as if I picked them out.

Best part is when I have a hankering for something I add it to the list so I don't forget it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

ShakerPenguin now, too? feelin like old times up in here. whatever happened to Worldmaker?

I still post here once in a while. Mostly to be snarky to dumb people. I mean, we're friends on FB soo "old times" is kind of like "now times"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

Honestly I've had it so long I can't even remember.
Asaekkiga.

Bart's is Mr Clipboard from Foodfight! (2012).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's when I end up with a bunch of Little Debbie poo poo in my cart

God, that struggle is real. I'm not supposed to be eating sugar on account of being a giant fatman, but the siren song of Little Debbie is brutally tempting if I'm shopping hungry.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

First world problems itt

The Midniter posted:

Oh also, I'm a human garbage dump who will eat all leftovers and I don't really get palate fatigue, so I'm lucky in that regard.

im literally the fancy feast cat except the fancy feast is foie gras pate and I won't eat it if it is more than a day old because it's probably a little oxidized and yyyuuckkkkkk why eat yesterdays food when you could eat todays!!! *nose in air*

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010

mindphlux posted:

im literally the fancy feast cat except the fancy feast is foie gras pate and I won't eat it if it is more than a day old because it's probably a little oxidized and yyyuuckkkkkk why eat yesterdays food when you could eat todays!!! *nose in air*

The joke here is I've seen you eat literally frozen slivers of salmon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OmegaBeard posted:

The joke here is I've seen you eat literally frozen slivers of salmon.

how's nippon? I think I'm still in a sleep deficit from staying up all night to go to tsukiji

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God invented casserole for a reason. Throw cooked vegetables and eggs together to make a fritata, fruits and raw vegetables get blended into smoothies, fry up rice and noodles, make gravy from meat drippings, use bones and root vegetables to make a stock, and you better be finishing your meat or else you can't have any pudding.

Pollyanna posted:

Maggots in my trash made me realize that I really really need to get better about food waste. I often end up with chicken thigh that lasts max 5 days in the fridge but doesn't get used up, and by the time I get to it it smells and is sticky so I throw it out (guess how the maggots came about). Veggies like broccoli, salad mix, and massive bunches of cilantro go unused because I just don't use them that often. I've started collecting veggie scraps to make stock out of, but that doesn't fix the waste I end up with. Sigh.

Gordon would be ashamed of me. :negative:

PROTIP: Lift up every piece of furniture or object covering the floor that isn't nailed down and vacuum. There's like 10x more maggots than what you see because they nibble at night then crawl into the tiniest recesses to germinate or whatever it is flies do. You'll probably have flies in your apartment for a week or two because they hatch at different intervals and will gently caress each other it loving sucks and you need to diligently spray.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

al-azad posted:

God invented casserole for a reason.

You know speaking of casseroles zucchini goes great with mint. Never knew that. I leaned something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

not very, I'm in Moreno Valley. I'm down to beer tho

We can beer in Long Beach. There is a decent place on 2nd. But really the Torenace breweries are tearing it up.

Or I can go closer out there... I can brave the heat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

al-azad posted:

PROTIP: Lift up every piece of furniture or object covering the floor that isn't nailed down and vacuum. There's like 10x more maggots than what you see because they nibble at night then crawl into the tiniest recesses to germinate or whatever it is flies do. You'll probably have flies in your apartment for a week or two because they hatch at different intervals and will gently caress each other it loving sucks and you need to diligently spray.

Thankfully the trash was outside rather than inside, and I never saw maggots inside the apartment - just actual adult flies, maybe 4-5 a day. It's been a day or two since I threw out the hosed up trash, and I haven't seen flies since, so maybe the gross trash was breeding them. I went around and bugsprayed all the nooks and crannies in the apartment I could find, and I think the entrance vector/main nook (the bathroom window which is very very badly constructed and sealed) has been sanitized to gently caress and back, so let's hope it holds.

Since then, I've been explicitly tying up/sealing off trash bags to prevent any sort of bug infestation because oh my loving god that sucked. I've learned my lesson.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I tossed some bad meat and old food a while back and made the mistake of assuming that since it was in a garbage sack in a garbage can that it'd be okay next to my front room window. This was during one of the hotter months of the year too. Couple days later we got swarmed by 40 or so flies cause our window's not sealed all that well. Putting up fly ribbons was the best thing we could do. Eventually it did the trick though.

After the majority of them died we got a second wave in our kitchen cause they managed to migrate downstairs to our sink. I didn't even know we had anything worth laying eggs in in the sink. Eventually the baby boom died off and we've been really careful about tying up the garbage bags when it has food in it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Silicone caulk is really cheap and easy to apply, for keeping the outdoors out.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Olive oil & rosemary ice cream very good. Up there with habanero & strawberry.

Any other recommendations?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Habanero strawberry?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Add a split habanero to the milk/cream while it heats up, make a quick jam with 2:1 berries:sugar, drizzle in while churning.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just had some balsamic vinegar ice cream, was very nice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sweat poteto posted:

Olive oil & rosemary ice cream very good. Up there with habanero & strawberry.

Any other recommendations?

I like olive oil and black pepper.

There was a place back in San Antonio that did thyme, honey and lavender. Also very good.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The best ice cream flavor is salt liquorice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No the best ice cream is Ben & Jerry's Half-Baked directly out of the carton after clearing a massive bongload

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Best gelato I ever had was goat cheese/fig/honey. Life-changing.

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010

mindphlux posted:

how's nippon? I think I'm still in a sleep deficit from staying up all night to go to tsukiji

Tricks are good. You know, there was a big fire in Tsukiji recently. Now I ain't saying they were trying to purge your traces from there but...

Ice cream chat: Hokkaido honeysuckle / huskapp. Also a drat fine liquor.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know cereal has been a thing for years, but do cornflake if you're serving it soon enough they'll still be crunchy. So good.

I don't suppose that the recent super-crunchy add-ins (like Ben & Jerry's Boom Chocolata or Baskin-Robbins' Oreo cornflake) can be done at home? What is it, massive amounts of cholesterol?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Had a coriander sorbet at Stravaigin 2 in Glasgow years ago, before they closed. Mind blowing.

Had some really nice basil ice cream the day before in London, at Chin Chin. Very good.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Vanilla icecream with redhawk peppers b3 sauce (Bhuts, bananas, berries)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
#icecreamtalk, I had a cantaloupe sorbet with sake lees yesterday that was pretty outstanding. they put it with a nasturtium leaf meringue, and a kinda herby rosemary/mint/something angel food cake thing.

I've had a few balsamic, and agree that is pretty fuckin good. I'm on board with the olive oil black pepper too, though it seems a little dated / yesteryear trend at this point.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

God I love nasturtium - if I ever have a proper garden, I'm planting nasturtium first then rhubarb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

The best ice cream flavor is salt liquorice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The best ice cream flavor is that ridiculously boozy butterscotch flavor I got in Italy once.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sweat poteto posted:

God I love nasturtium - if I ever have a proper garden, I'm planting nasturtium first then rhubarb.

I have both and I've been snacking on them all summer

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I had some absolutely ridiculous dark chocolate Guinness ice cream a couple years ago that I would love more of. Rich as sin, but not super-sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I used fast orange (mechanic's liquid hand cleaner with pumice) to clean some cast iron pans tonight and it worked markedly well. Might make it my normal cast iron cleaner.